Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I’ve been intrigued by single length irons for a while now and love the concept.

If I wanted to properly try a set out what would you guys recommend? If I went to somewhere like a Club Champion would they have more than just the 7 iron to try out? I know they are a certified Edel fitter.

Pga ss and others have all the cobra stuff, but cc should have both options. The one here even has sterlings.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

stiff-all the wishon sl gear is under the wishon sterling brand, hope this helps

Yea! Looks like irons only unfortunately.

I think I'll just pull trigger on forged tec 4&5, they look great. Hopefully they can bend 4*

Regarding the Wishon stuff he has other head designs that are not under the Sterling label but can be modified to SL depending on what you need. With his bendable hosel in the woods and hybrids plus toe and hosel weight ports so you build them short, upright, and hopefully get the weight to where you need it.

Being components it's a cheap experiment if the Cobras don't work out.

Hm. I'd usually be all over that idea, but not finding any info on others builds is holding me back. Any links or thoughts appreciated. Would it be a fairly simple thing?

I usually would just order two forged Tecs and call it a day, but lucky for my poor decision making, offices are closed so I have to wait to see if forged Tec can be bent 4* till tomorrow.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

stiff, wishon makes a one length hybrid that I believe can be bent =-4, same thing with his newer fairway woods, just putting that out there, also had a chance to hit the edels against my sterlings........Oh sweet jesus what a difference, just when I thought I was set along these came. the edels are just solid and aren't as intimidating as you think they would be, haven't got them out on course yet. Looks like the sterlings will be headed to bst or the bay

giphy.gif

In terms of availability to try: It’s been difficult to find all one lengths under one roof.

My experience:

- Edel was only at Club Champions: 4 iron, 6 Iron, PW heads and all shaft options & head weights). Edel reps/other locations can be found on the Edel Website

- Club Champions (San Diego/Del Mar location at least) did NOT have Cobra One Length. Reason stated was that they felt Edel “did it right”

- Saw Cobra at PGA SS but no Edel

- Only see Cobra at the other usual suspects: Golf Galaxy, Golf Mart, etc.

having tried to hit the cobra forged tec blacks at pga ss with recoil shafts and told that was not an option, as in cobra doesn't offer recoil shafts........luckily I was given a bunch of time with the edel fitting bag there and found the combo of the 95r shaft with 6 gram weights at 37 worked better than my sterlings at 36.5, as I wandered through the store the otr edels there were on sale for $1099 4-gap in 37 inch with 95r shafts. Soooo long story short couldn't beat the deal and bought them, was planning on resifting the sterlings still may do that down the road and try to match them as close as possible for a level test of the two. I have to say the wishons have been great, the edels just feel a bit more special, and my miss is toe side and the edels were great for me on my miss. Now time to start saving for national custom works if they can do one length. I felt one length may cure my ho ing ways two sets of sterlings, two sets of cobras, now edel............................and saw a review on another site of a korean manufacturer jumping into the sl market, when does it end

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

having tried to hit the cobra forged tec blacks at pga ss with recoil shafts and told that was not an option, as in cobra doesn't offer recoil shafts........luckily I was given a bunch of time with the edel fitting bag there and found the combo of the 95r shaft with 6 gram weights at 37 worked better than my sterlings at 36.5, as I wandered through the store the otr edels there were on sale for $1099 4-gap in 37 inch with 95r shafts. Soooo long story short couldn't beat the deal and bought them, was planning on resifting the sterlings still may do that down the road and try to match them as close as possible for a level test of the two. I have to say the wishons have been great, the edels just feel a bit more special, and my miss is toe side and the edels were great for me on my miss. Now time to start saving for national custom works if they can do one length. I felt one length may cure my ho ing ways two sets of sterlings, two sets of cobras, now edel............................and saw a review on another site of a korean manufacturer jumping into the sl market, when does it end

You guys get weird information... The recoil shaft is the stock graphite shaft in the Cobra one length utility iron ... So they clearly have them

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

stiff-all the wishon sl gear is under the wishon sterling brand, hope this helps

I think I'll just pull trigger on forged tec 4&5, they look great. Hopefully they can bend 4*

Regarding the Wishon stuff he has other head designs that are not under the Sterling label but can be modified to SL depending on what you need. With his bendable hosel in the woods and hybrids plus toe and hosel weight ports so you build them short, upright, and hopefully get the weight to where you need it.

Hm. I'd usually be all over that idea, but not finding any info on others builds is holding me back. Any links or thoughts appreciated. Would it be a fairly simple thing?

I usually would just order two forged Tecs and call it a day, but lucky for my poor decision making, offices are closed so I have to wait to see if forged Tec can be bent 4* till tomorrow.

Just 2 cents from a mid-handicapper bagging the Cobra forged OL, I wouldn't call them unforgiving at all. You gotta really miss it to feel the pain.

Thanks to a fellow gxer, taking the plunge on Cobra Forged Blacks. I couldn't decide on the 8 clubs, so got 9! 3-GW. Hitting a 7i length 3i is going to feel weird, butt if it goes 220 straight then I will get used to it really quick.

It's been a long time since I gamed Cobras; they used to be my favorite OEM and I'm not all that thrilled with their looks in the non-black iron sets. My motivation is mostly around making the long irons easier to hit. I could spend hours and hours on the range, or perhaps SL irons will be enough.

I have two months to get tournament ready!

edit: Not a wood club guy myself, but I assume any set of irons before 1924 would be single length?

I'm sure they tried everything in the hickory era, but the norm was length variation, albeit with fewer clubs in the bag. Driving irons typically 39", Mashies (= modern "7-iron") about 37-37.5" and the Niblick (the most lofted iron) about 36".

The difficulty in a hickory single length set would be in getting to decent and consistent swing weights across your iron set, and in getting enough performance out of the low end ("long irons") of the set, what with hickories hitting a lower ball flight than modern equivalents.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Just 2 cents from a mid-handicapper bagging the Cobra forged OL, I wouldn't call them unforgiving at all. You gotta really miss it to feel the pain.

do you carry the forged in 4 or 5 iron as well? im definitely inclined to go with the forged as it would match my new 6 iron, but i have not hit either club, so i dunno if the extra forgiveness from the black tec would be useful.

I do carry the 5 but swapped out the 4 for a standard length F6 hyrbid. The ballflight on the 4 was just too low and it created gapping problems. I didn't hit the 4 that much further than the 5. I'm tempted to try the one length utility but right now the length of the standard hybrid helps me as a gentler transition between the iron lengths and the fairways/driver.

I think people are too easily scared away by the forged being labeled as a players iron. First, its a slight cavity back with an TPU (fancy word for plastic) insert for vibration damping. Second the long irons have tungsten weights in the soles to lower CG (intended for ball flight purposes but also makes them more forgiving). The main difference I noticed when comparing models was the sole thickness. The forged soles in the long irons are definitely thin but I haven't had issues.

I do carry the 5 but swapped out the 4 for a standard length F6 hyrbid. The ballflight on the 4 was just too low and it created gapping problems. I didn't hit the 4 that much further than the 5. I'm tempted to try the one length utility but right now the length of the standard hybrid helps me as a gentler transition between the iron lengths and the fairways/driver.

I think people are too easily scared away by the forged being labeled as a players iron. First, its a slight cavity back with an TPU (fancy word for plastic) insert for vibration damping. Second the long irons have tungsten weights in the soles to lower CG (intended for ball flight purposes but also makes them more forgiving). The main difference I noticed when comparing models was the sole thickness. The forged soles in the long irons are definitely thin but I haven't had issues.

ok im sold on forged 5 iron. thanks! ordering now.

ill just go without a 4 iron for a few days while testing the 5 and 6, maybe ill find a bendable hybrid somewhere cheap to test.

You guys get weird information... The recoil shaft is the stock graphite shaft in the Cobra one length utility iron ... So they clearly have them

What I meant was the salesman was trying to tell me that cobra didn't offer recoils, I was going to pull up the website and show him, but I figured it wasn't worth the waste of time, same as asking about tour edge products, they always try to steer people towards tm, cally, I guess we just expect to have people to have more product knowledge as a salesperson.

905t

eye2 becu

I’m just over 3 months into my OL Cobra F8 experiment. I have been able to get to a point where I can confidently and consistently make a 7 iron swing. I’ve always had trouble with irons, specifically long irons.

The only issue I have is the gap wedge. That’s the one club that just feels super long (shaft) in my hands. Maybe it’s also that the head design changes starting there. I end up sticking the club in the ground on bad shots and good strikes are still 10 yards short. I wish the GW came in the same head design as the longer irons.

Anyone else have issues with the GW?

Considering getting a OL utility iron since I have up to 5 iron and then a traditional 4 Hybrid. I bought and tried the OL Hybrid but could not get used to the short shaft length feeling.

sterling offers a 5 hybrid one length at 23 with a bendable hosel, interesting option for the 4 iron spot. . .I think I have to do it.

I'm just over 3 months into my OL Cobra F8 experiment. I have been able to get to a point where I can confidently and consistently make a 7 iron swing. I've always had trouble with irons, specifically long irons.

The only issue I have is the gap wedge. That's the one club that just feels super long (shaft) in my hands. Maybe it's also that the head design changes starting there. I end up sticking the club in the ground on bad shots and good strikes are still 10 yards short. I wish the GW came in the same head design as the longer irons.

Anyone else have issues with the GW?

Considering getting a OL utility iron since I have up to 5 iron and then a traditional 4 Hybrid. I bought and tried the OL Hybrid but could not get used to the short shaft length feeling.

The first couple of rounds I have issues with the top and bottom end. The GW seemed too long..the hybrids too short. It took a while to trust, not think about it and just swing the club and trust in the club.

So I've booked a fitting session at Club Champion to work on a single length setup.

Should be pretty interesting so I'm going there with an open mind.

My only concern is I've had very mixed experiences at Club Champion before so I have some reservations on that front. However I know what I like in a club and I know how I want them to feel so I've got that to work with.

I know they have the Edel in stock and probably the Cobra too.

So in the Cobra you have the F8, forged and forged tech black. Edel only have one offering.

I currently play the MP-18 MB so Im thinking the F8 will be out so it's between the other 3. Where would the Edel fit into the equation?

Thanks guy.

So I've booked a fitting session at Club Champion to work on a single length setup.

My only concern is I've had very mixed experiences at Club Champion before so I have some reservations on that front. However I know what I like in a club and I know how I want them to feel so I've got that to work with.

So in the Cobra you have the F8, forged and forged tech black. Edel only have one offering.

I currently play the MP-18 MB so Im thinking the F8 will be out so it's between the other 3. Where would the Edel fit into the equation?

Thanks guy.

Cobra has the F9 irons coming out in a couple of weeks. Not sure if anyone has them in stock or available for testing as of yet though.

Thanks guy.

I can speak a little on this, I came from a Hogan Ft. Worth Muscle Back Blades also- I bought 4-PW Edel SLS (my GW/SW are standard wedge Length) - So what to expect from Edel is the top line is thicker- But it has a small profile heel to toe, which I like.

I really didn't have an issue a thicker top line and wasn't a big transition for me. I align to the leading edge of the club. There is very little offset.

It did take me about 10 rounds to get comfortable and I am still gaining more and more confidence every time I play. I would say I have 20 rounds maybe a few more.

I have complete confidence in 5-PW. I got use to the 6-PW right away - The 4 - 5 took some work but I love the 5 now but still struggle with the 4iron - in accuracy. Some have issues with the shot height in the long irons - I hadn't experienced that- I hit them just as high as my blades.

You won't have as much Work ability since it is perimeter weighted which your blades aren't. They are very accurate with a good swing - I noticed that right off.

They are not a magic bullet, you still have to practice and get your swing situated, just like any set of clubs - What they seem to do is make your irons more familiar and predictable. You can manipulate every club just like a 7 iron. I really like that in my long irons and its not a big difference in 8-PW. I have actually gained longer more consistent distance with my 5-6. As mentioned earlier still working on the 4.

I am ~8-10 HCP and I haven't dropped off my average scores of low 80's, but hadn't had any great magical rounds like with my blades. We have had an enormous amount of rain the last few weeks..so that is always a challenge...

Hope that helps.

Cobra has the F9 irons coming out in a couple of weeks. Not sure if anyone has them in stock or available for testing as of yet though.

I hit a couple of the F9's at GG last week. They said they will be stocking the Cobra line in 2019. I also took a few swings at the Speedback as well. I'm not at a level that can have an opinion but they look decent and felt pretty good. Didn't hit them particularly well (less than a handful of swings) but also didn't expect to. I'm following this thread because I'm interested in the concept and as a newer person to golf, anything that makes the game easier is music to my ears. Just letting people know that GG probably has demos available.

sterling offers a 5 hybrid one length at 23 with a bendable hosel, interesting option for the 4 iron spot. . .I think I have to do it.

stiff, that was what I was talking about, his fairways can be bent also got a couple heads on the way to try

905t

eye2 becu

Somebody talk me out of buying a one-length 2-3 utility.

Right now I have a standard length King Utility at 18.5 which is my safe club off the tee, and and a homemade one length hybrid at 21.5 that is primarily used off the deck and for rescue/greenside shots. I'm thinking I could replace one or both of them with a one length utility at 18 or 19.

Anyone with good/bad experiences with the one length utility?

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Right now I have a standard length King Utility at 18.5 which is my safe club off the tee, and and a homemade one length hybrid at 21.5 that is primarily used off the deck and for rescue/greenside shots. I'm thinking I could replace one or both of them with a one length utility at 18 or 19.

I really liked it but moved on because of inability to bend.

Felt like a udi off the face, black finish is not as durable as everyone says (on sandy range it got immediately trashed but who cares), easy to swing. No complaints.

They are awesome.. I have a 2/3 and a 3/4 both with KBS Ctaper light shafts in them. Fairway finder's and so easy to hit.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Interesting, I’ll have to check out my local GG tomorrow. I was at the local Edwin Watts and didn’t see them.

As an aside, I was there getting my F7 driver repaired. The screw that adjusts the loft and attaches the shaft to the head broke, looked like it rusted from the coloring. Clean break though. I was on the range and the head went flying.

Well, after reading this thread, researching, asking questions, etc. I pulled the trigger on a great set of Cobra F8's (4hy,5hy.6-SW).

I just think the hole thing makes sense to me. I am a fairly good player, but irons, particularly long irons have been a major weakness for me. I am hoping the gapping works out for me. I am excited to get them out tomorrow and try them out, it's supposed to be in 50's this weekend. I wish I had some idea of what yardages to expect.

Right now I hit :

my 50* about 115,

PW -125,

9I -135,

8I -145

7I-155

6I-165

5I-175

4I-185

I am hoping the F8's go similar. I thought maybe the short irons might go a little farther, but not sure.

Anyway, pretty excited to start 2019 with them.

Well, after reading this thread, researching, asking questions, etc. I pulled the trigger on a great set of Cobra F8's (4hy,5hy.6-SW).

I just think the hole thing makes sense to me. I am a fairly good player, but irons, particularly long irons have been a major weakness for me. I am hoping the gapping works out for me. I am excited to get them out tomorrow and try them out, it's supposed to be in 50's this weekend. I wish I had some idea of what yardages to expect.

Right now I hit :

my 50* about 115,

PW -125,

9I -135,

8I -145

7I-155

6I-165

5I-175

4I-185

I am hoping the F8's go similar. I thought maybe the short irons might go a little farther, but not sure.

Anyway, pretty excited to start 2019 with them.

Im in the same boat as you and impatiently waiting for the F8s to arrive 5 thru gap wedge with the nippon Pro 105 shaft.With the time getting used to them it should work out.

stiff, that was what I was talking about, his fairways can be bent also got a couple heads on the way to try

considering the size/forgiveness of the forged being similar to a blade/players cb(more below), glad I didn't order a 4 iron, I think ill order a sterling hybrid tomorrow. Gonna wait for someone to engineer a one length fairway before I trade in my f8's. are u gonna bend your fairways?

finally got my forged one 6 iron in, bent it 4* upright, threw a jumbo on it, and I'm loving it.

the club feels great. close to the same size/shape/sole as the p730. ill post pics comparing if anyone wants. I would do a comparison video with my VariableLength 6 iron but they are different shafts. forgiveness feels like a very forgiving blade(similar to my mp5's) , which I consider pretty forgiving. Could play them in 2/3/4 iron, but a hybrid/forged tec might be fun to try there.

soft. excited for the 5 iron to get here to see if its just as easy. right now, 6 feels like a 7. bingo.