2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade High-Toe Wedges

97speedster

Why did tmag have to mess with the tour design? I'm sure it's for performance reasons, but if people won't use it because of looks, it doesn't really matter...

Agreed. Looks better than the PM but that’s lipstick on a pig unfortunately.

Now if they released DJ’s I wouldn’t hesitate buying without even seeing it in person.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking forward to this when I saw the DJ version. I hate the rounded leading edge and gooseneck offset of the retail version. Think it look as close as makes no difference to the PM grind.

C'mon taylormade. I would have bought a 13 degree M2 tour Fw, a 1 and 2 790 UDI, and 60 and 64 in this. Get it together.

TM rep said the release date on the Hi Toe is March 2nd....

That is what I wanted to hear:)

I'll put you down for three. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Well in my face :stink:

Sorry. Boss. Re read myself. And sounded a little harsh. Wasn’t agrivated at you. Was really something unrelated. For what it’s worth. I like the look of DJs hi toe too .... but I’m not a big fan of TMs bait and switch. Done this for years with drivers at 400cc and retail much larger etc. just same paint job. Offset on irons etc another example. I guess they all do this to a degree.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Sorry. Boss. Re read myself. And sounded a little harsh. Wasn't agrivated at you. Was really something unrelated. For what it's worth. I like the look of DJs hi toe too .... but I'm not a big fan of TMs bait and switch. Done this for years with drivers at 400cc and retail much larger etc. just same paint job. Offset on irons etc another example. I guess they all do this to a degree.

I'm not trying to start anything here so don't take this the wrong way, but when is the last time TM did something like that with drivers? The R1? That was five years ago. This is one of those tired lines that keeps getting repeated about TM (and other companies), but it's not something that really holds water these days.

With regard to grinds, iron offset, etc, I've never understood the hate companies receive for customizing clubs for their staff. The retail product has to be catered towards the mass market of players because that's where the money is going to come from. If they released the Hi-Toe with DJ's straighter leading edge grind or Rahm's apparent low bounce grind, the club could be a disaster for much of the golfing public who will buy it. Same thing with zero-offset irons, etc. Companies can't release every option possible, nor can they have custom order programs where you can get modifications like this. It's simply not financially viable.

As a good player and competitive amateur, I generally fit more closely into a lot of stuff that are tour one-offs. I'd much prefer to get DJ's Hi-Toe grind as compared to the retail version, but I'm not going to get worked up about it. A company has to do what's best for the business as a whole, not the small segment of the market into which I and others like me fit.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

Just going by the pictures, does anyone thing it's possible to grind the leading edge flat? I'm not sure if there is enough meat there with how low the bottom groove is.

Titleist TSR4 10 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Fuji 9.2TS X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Sorry. Boss. Re read myself. And sounded a little harsh. Wasn't agrivated at you. Was really something unrelated. For what it's worth. I like the look of DJs hi toe too .... but I'm not a big fan of TMs bait and switch. Done this for years with drivers at 400cc and retail much larger etc. just same paint job. Offset on irons etc another example. I guess they all do this to a degree.

I'm not trying to start anything here so don't take this the wrong way, but when is the last time TM did something like that with drivers? The R1? That was five years ago. This is one of those tired lines that keeps getting repeated about TM (and other companies), but it's not something that really holds water these days.

With regard to grinds, iron offset, etc, I've never understood the hate companies receive for customizing clubs for their staff. The retail product has to be catered towards the mass market of players because that's where the money is going to come from. If they released the Hi-Toe with DJ's straighter leading edge grind or Rahm's apparent low bounce grind, the club could be a disaster for much of the golfing public who will buy it. Same thing with zero-offset irons, etc. Companies can't release every option possible, nor can they have custom order programs where you can get modifications like this. It's simply not financially viable.

As a good player and competitive amateur, I generally fit more closely into a lot of stuff that are tour one-offs. I'd much prefer to get DJ's Hi-Toe grind as compared to the retail version, but I'm not going to get worked up about it. A company has to do what's best for the business as a whole, not the small segment of the market into which I and others like me fit.

They did offer those types of clubs in their "Vault" section but just looked and that section has been dead for quite awhile now. Granted they were quite pricey but there was those options for a bit.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

So there’s no B version of any irons now ? No 2 degree metal Driver adapters ? No tour only lofts in 3 wood and Driver ?

I don’t want to argue about it either. But the only one I know if that isn’t true today is the 400cc Driver example. And let tiger want one and that will happen too. Some of these things I get why not. But some like Driver lofts fairway lofts and offset in irons I don’t. It doesn’t cost any more to offer either to the public.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just going by the pictures, does anyone thing it's possible to grind the leading edge flat? I'm not sure if there is enough meat there with how low the bottom groove is.

My concern precisely. Might be worth ruining one to try it.

Worth the experiment when I can pick one up used.

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

The Hi-Toe just looks better than the PM grind to me at address. Less offset, less hosel gooseneck, and straighter leading edge. I like everything about it.

post-141617-0-59230900-1515287113_thumb.jpg

post-141617-0-02645300-1515287128_thumb.jpg

Straighter leading edge is a big deal. And I’m slightly concerned if it is the ATV bounce. In the R-series, I went away from the ATV to the Tour Grind because I felt like the leading edge was on the ground not raised up by the bounce.

And no, the PM wedge is not the same as the Hi-Toe.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

The Hi-Toe just looks better than the PM grind to me at address. Less offset, less hosel gooseneck, and straighter leading edge. I like everything about it.

post-141617-0-59230900-1515287113_thumb.jpg

post-141617-0-02645300-1515287128_thumb.jpg

Straighter leading edge is a big deal. And I’m slightly concerned if it is the ATV bounce. In the R-series, I went away from the ATV to the Tour Grind because I felt like the leading edge was on the ground not raised up by the bounce.

And no, the PM wedge is not the same as the Hi-Toe.

Compare the retail version, not, the DJ model with a straight leading edge...look at the picture on their website. Same ugly rounded leading edge, same pointed high toe... they look pretty damn similar Ed.

I LOVE DJs version... would be bought already. But this is Apples to Pineapples between his version and this rather disappointing retail version.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Had no idea there were different versions. Deal breaker for me. Would prefer the straighter leading edge.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I watched a handful of guys hitting these for about 30 minutes. Out of every lie and the sand. The results were pretty impressive.

With the 60 and 64, we were stepping on the ball in soggy grass, opening it up and trying to hit flop shots you would never even consider in an important match. When you trusted it and accelerated thru, it was easy.

I did find it interesting that if I didn't open up the face, the ball came out lower than expected and really bit.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I took this photo of the retail 64* Hi-Toe at the TM trip because I had the same concerns that everyone is bringing up here. While I would have preferred even less "goose-neck" and an even straighter leading edge, this is FAR from the same shape as the PM grind. Everything has a more compact look and is less pronounced, but does the same job. The "goose-neck" doesn't look significantly more pronounced than DJ's, to my eye, and there is room below the first groove to grind if you just have to have a straighter leading edge. I would imagine that's how DJ's got that way as well.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

I took this photo of the retail 64* Hi-Toe at the TM trip because I had the same concerns that everyone is bringing up here. While I would have preferred even less "goose-neck" and an even straighter leading edge, this is FAR from the same shape as the PM grind. Everything has a more compact look and is less pronounced, but does the same job. The "goose-neck" doesn't look significantly more pronounced than DJ's, to my eye, and there is room below the first groove to grind if you just have to have a straighter leading edge. I would imagine that's how DJ's got that way as well.

Thanks for the picture. That absolutely shows more room below the bottom groove than the stock image.

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I'm not saying the retail version is as good looking as DJ's. They are clearly different heads, I mean they don't even have the same number of grooves. But the one I hit and photographed is much better looking than the PM grind and for some reason looks very different from the computer generated image on TM's website.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

So, are these in wide release or released to staffers, or is there another brand offering a similar high toe design? I saw a high toe wedge at the range a few days ago and thought it was visually jarring how pronounced the toe was, but there must be a market for it otherwise they wouldn't make it.

Note looking at the photos the wedge I saw was less round and more triangular.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

So there's no B version of any irons now ? No 2 degree metal Driver adapters ? No tour only lofts in 3 wood and Driver ?

I don't want to argue about it either. But the only one I know if that isn't true today is the 400cc Driver example. And let tiger want one and that will happen too. Some of these things I get why not. But some like Driver lofts fairway lofts and offset in irons I don't. It doesn't cost any more to offer either to the public.

I was speaking specifically with driver heads, since that's the example that is usually brought up regarding tour only options. However, lately it does seem like tour only fairway options are much more common, I will grant you that.

Look, as a player who can benefit from some of this stuff, it sucks that it's not more readily available. I love the 1 degree sleeve and, thankfully, I can get them though various sources. I play a 2016 M2 deep face T3 that I had to acquire from a tour only "distributor" for a little more than I'd like. The point of my post was that I can understand it from a company perspective. Callaway had their TA program. TaylorMade has tried various things in the TP line and selling stuff though the Vault. If there was a big market for this type of equipment, there's no way companies would pass up the revenue. The fact that they're not selling it tells me it's not profitable. It think it's as simple as that.

They did offer those types of clubs in their "Vault" section but just looked and that section has been dead for quite awhile now. Granted they were quite pricey but there was those options for a bit.

I have spent way too much money in the Vault. LOL

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

Anybody know what the stock shaft offering will be for TM's Hi-Toe? At $170 a pop, they should give you every wedge shaft option on the market at no upcharge. Love the look of DJ's over the presumed "retail version". Guess we'll have to wait and see.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Anybody know what the stock shaft offering will be for TM's Hi-Toe? At $170 a pop, they should give you every wedge shaft option on the market at no upcharge. Love the look of DJ's over the presumed "retail version". Guess we'll have to wait and see.

KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Shaft

I talked to a different guy from TM yesterday who said these will be released in early to mid March.