TaylorMade High-Toe Wedges

97speedster

Had mine out a few times now, and really like the design and functionality of this type of wedge. I know there's a thread or two around the topic, but can any speak to the turf interaction of the PM Grind in comparison to these? If I remember correctly, weren't the PM's designed for the leading edge to sit very close to the turf? Just not sure how that compares to the ATV sole on the TM. I'm all in on the high toe designs, just trying to decide with avenue to go all in on.

I'm a PM guy and upon closer inspection the PM appears to have the edge really close to the turf. The Hi Toe is more like a vokey with a high toe and full groove coverage. You're getting bounce without having to open the club face on the Hi Toe. They are also more costly than a PM to the tune of forty bucks. The 64° PM is a foolproof sand wedge. You need not necessarily open the face to get out. If it's primarily going to be around the green that you're using it for, the edge is likely with the PM.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crud, still waiting for my store to get them in May;(

My GG store has them. They stated they were not getting another shipment until June. That news made buying these real easy for me today.

You bought them because they're hard to get?

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I've played it out of the sand quite and bit and this thing is a miracle worker. I haven't had much nice weather so I noticed this weekend that the face can be blinding at the wrong angle. I've mostly used raw or black wedges in the past so it hasnt been a problem for me previously. It's definitely not a deal breaker, but something I'll have to get used to.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I've played it out of the sand quite and bit and this thing is a miracle worker. I haven't had much nice weather so I noticed this weekend that the face can be blinding at the wrong angle. I've mostly used raw or black wedges in the past so it hasnt been a problem for me previously. It's definitely not a deal breaker, but something I'll have to get used to.

It definitely shines out of the bunker..... if you struggle out of the bunkers then it's a great option to try!

I called up Dallas Golf today where I had a bunch of credit from some trade in clubs. They had a 60 degree so I asked them to send it my way. Kind of last second I asked them to throw in a milled wedge 54 low bounce and a 50 standard bounce. I am hoping between the Hi Toe and the low bounce 54 I can deal with all the different sand types in my area?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

First round with the 60* Hi Toe today... As others have said, it is PHENOMENAL out of the sand! I had to play it out of wet sand on the front 9 and fluffy sand on the back 9... it seriously is remarkable. Hit several chips and pitches that responded exactly how I wanted them to. No problem with hitting flops or bump & run. I did not get to use it for a full swing from the fairway or rough though. I’m sure it’ll work well.

For reference: I am a long time Vokey loyalist and have played a 60/07* SM2 forever.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

• 1 month later...

Took this out over the weekend in the suburbs of Chicago. I didn't force myself to play it for shots that did not call for it so used it about 4-5 times. All in a little different scenarios that in my mind called for it. Typically I will shoot around 83-88, so not a spectacular golfer by any means so don't expect a super technical in depth review. Short game is typically not my strong suit as I lack the feel tweener shots, to my own detriment of not practicing them.

However for the 4-5 shots that I took this out I thought it was pretty awesome and made me excited to practice those feel shots. Maybe it is in my head, or maybe this is just the fix I needed. First shot was about a 40yd shot to an elevated green over a trap. An easy half swing shoots the ball straight up into the air and stops. Club had a lot of "pop" coming off the face. Another shot was 20yd, hole high off the side of the green in the deep stuff, (a nice errant hosel-rocket) but getting the face open and flopping this straight up in the air with the "hi toe" worked awesome. didn't feel as high off the face as when I looked down and saw how high it came off. which I think why I really liked it out of the sand. Opening the face, getting through the ball real just cut through the sand and was an easy out. the sand in Chicago isn't the nice white fluffy stuff, it is hard packed concrete most of the time. But this thing worked like a charm. Was the only shot that I didnt get it to hit and stick on the green but very little roll out.

Probably my favorite shot with the club came later in the round when I was about 12yds away. I thought about putting it, but had a steep ridge to get over and pin was only a few paces on. And if I didn't have previous success and confidence with the club, I don't think I would have taken it out. But opening the face is real easy, it sits nice and low. I was able to sweep right under the ball and it actually spun back a few inches on a real short 12yd chip and left myself about 2ft to the hole. The control was remarkable. I was really impressed with the club all day.

The only shot that I did not take nor do I think I will, is a full shot. A lot of the shots were half swings and little chips. But with how high even half shots come off the face, a full swing would be real difficult to control if it hits a gust of wind.

Is there a different finish for this club before I pull the trigger?

Not the biggest fan of the look, but if a black or even chrome version were to come out I'll wait.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Is there a different finish for this club before I pull the trigger?

Not the biggest fan of the look, but if a black or even chrome version were to come out I'll wait.

I've only seen the one finish. I have to admit I really like the finish though. It wears well if you like that Raw, rustic aged look over time. No glare either. Plus it stands out in the bag as there is no other club with that finish out.

It's wet/soft here a lot - wonder if hi toe might suit soft turf better than pm? I understand tour players grinding down bounce, but they usually play firmer conditions, closely mown fairways etc.

I play the 56 pm (highest pm bounce) along with a 60 bent to 62. I have a handle dragging swing flaw I'm working on which can be dangerous with low leading edge. Around here, bounce is our friend.

My sense from the thread is folks are slightly more comfortable from the fairway with hi toe vs pm?

My iron setup Is 790 4-Aw so my last iron is 50*. It’s 50* but it’s a hot faced iron so I’ve been playing a 54 and 60 setup.

Was wondering if I went to a 54 and 62 degree setup if there would be too much of a gap? Or should I go the other way and get the Hi-Toe in a 58?

Anyone with a similar setup?

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

• 2 weeks later...

I personally wouldn’t use anything over a 58 for a full shot. A 62, whilst I love using my 64 when necessary, is a speciality club only and in my opinion too dangerous to repeatedly use on full shots, especially from longer grass where you can fit the club right under the ball. Much better to use your 54 for all shots like that IMO and just use the 60+ club when there is no other option.

• 1 month later...

So does anyone find these a little "grabby" with the turf? Seems like my PM wedge glides thru better. I really like the look of the Hi-Toe so much better but might be getting better results with PM;(

My turf interaction is very good with the Hi-Toe. Though, it feels lighter in the head than PM. Have you checked swing weights and lie angle relative to PM?

So does anyone find these a little "grabby" with the turf? Seems like my PM wedge glides thru better. I really like the look of the Hi-Toe so much better but might be getting better results with PM;(

My turf interaction is very good with the Hi-Toe. Though, it feels lighter in the head than PM. Have you checked swing weights and lie angle relative to PM?

No I haven't but do notice the Hi-Toe feeling a bit more flatter lie. Will have to check.

Just waiting until Taylormade releases the Hi-Toe in 50, 54, and 56. I've heard that the 50 will not have complete face grooves, but it'll be shaped similar to the current Hi-Toe.

I’d like to see a satin finish. Not a fan of this copper color at all.

Would be cool to have a raw version (goes without saying), but I like how the copper finished has aged. It's worn nicely and the back of the wedge has a dark patina that is cool. Definitely a finish that generates polarized opinions, though. I can see why some don't like it.

Main main issue is that I'd love a different grind that doesn't have that high leading edge of the ATV grind. I'm considering taking down the trailing edge ribbon to bring the leading edge closer to the turf.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 2 weeks later...

ive felt the same. Haven’t been using it for long so maybe need to just get some more reps. Was thinking about bending it a degree weaker. Maybe an extra deg bounce would help it not stick as much?

I loved the PM grind but like the Hi Toe even more. I play the 60 and would love to have them in a 54 and 50 too. I love the way both the PM and Hi Toe set up. The 60 degree in both were/are my go to from 75 yards in. I don't really experience either any different on full shots than with any other wedge. The only danger is of course if you play them too far forward in your stance but this is true with all clubs. Problems arise if you don't hit the ball first and particularly true if you try to scoop it on the way up!

Great wedges and unlike some other posters I feel they have more heft at the bottom than the Callaway and all Vokeys.

Of course, YMMV

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Really torn on the 58* on these or the 58* Glide Stealth ES. I know the Stealth will be a bit more versatile in terms of full shots but that copper finish is slick.

I'm a huge Ping fan and really like the ES grind a LOT..........but I've been using a 60* Hi Toe for a couple weeks and it's really good. I could easily play either, but for now the TM is in the bag........and I'm not a TM fan!

I'd be interested to hear from others that have used both the HT and ES. I currently game a 60ES and find it plays to a higher bounce than expected for open faced shots. Great from soft sand but tricky from firmer lies

Really torn on the 58* on these or the 58* Glide Stealth ES. I know the Stealth will be a bit more versatile in terms of full shots but that copper finish is slick.

I'm a huge Ping fan and really like the ES grind a LOT..........but I've been using a 60* Hi Toe for a couple weeks and it's really good. I could easily play either, but for now the TM is in the bag........and I'm not a TM fan!

I'd be interested to hear from others that have used both the HT and ES. I currently game a 60ES and find it plays to a higher bounce than expected for open faced shots. Great from soft sand but tricky from firmer lies

Ive had both and the PM grind too.

The ES grind was great out of the sand but i did not like it for full or greenside shots.

The HT is great for around the green and sand. For some reason on full shots i pull shots left with it.

The PM grind is not as good as the HT on sand shots but it is excellent for full shots and flop shots.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]