Ping G400 LST - tungsten weights dropping off!!!

jahr1984

Hi all -

I'd be really grateful for some advice. I got fitted for a G400 LST a few weeks ago. The performance is astonishingly good. I've added > 20 yards from the 915D2 I was playing before.

Earlier this week I'd finished hitting some balls at the range and found one of the tungsten weights had fallen off (the black bit of metal that says 'tungsten' on it). I returned it to the store and they sent it off to Ping. They lent me their demo model (same spec) to use in the meantime. Today I did a similar session at the range... and the tungsten weight fell out. For it to happen on two different clubs seems like too much of a coincidence. Picture is attached.

I can't believe it's been caused by impact on the club from the ball or ground. It's made of titanium and is designed to hit something at 100+ mph. Bits shouldn't fall off it.

Could it be caused by astroturf mats at the range, or a combination of this and the wet snowy weather?

Any advice would be great. I love the club, and don't want to play anything else. However I'd be disappointed if this became a persistent problem and I'd end up buying something else.

James

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can remember - the first 'generation' of the G400's had this problem. The clubs you've hit could be from one of the earlier batches.

They corrected it and I played a G400 LST last fall with zero issues at all.

Does appear that epoxy is holding that weight on, which could be effected by temperature.

Shouldn't be a persistent problem moving forward, I'd guess the replacement they provide won't have any such issue.

Honestly i haven't seen anyone with this issue. By chance what kind of tee are u using and what mat? .

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Saw about 5 used 400's at PGA SS in ATL and 2 of them had missing weights. One was LST and the other was SFT

Seems to be an issue....

Auditioning drivers always
Taylormade Aeroburner TP HL 3 wood
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 3 hybrid set at 20*
mizuno Fli Hi hybrid 5&6 irons
Mizuno JPX EZ 7-gw
Original Vokey Spin Milled 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Square Back Select

Honestly i haven't seen anyone with this issue. By chance what kind of tee are u using and what mat? .

Rubber driving range tee and and astro-turf mat - pretty much like in this pic.

Gotcha, i know some mats have plastic tee's that are held in place and can cause issues like this. Looks like an adhesive issue.

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have 2 and the weights have fell off of both, Ping is great about fixing them but the inconvenience of not having my club for a week is frustrating. Both have been fixed twice. Great driver though!! I may try the lead tape fix, that sounds like a good fix.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

Has this been fixed in manufacturing the newer heads? I have a digitally lofted LST on order and hoping I don't eventually deal with this if it ends up going in the bag.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

• 2 months later...

I can get my hands on a G400 LST for a steal, but it has this tungsten weight missing. I guess the owner can't be bothered to get it sorted/doesn't think it can be sorted and so is just looking to get rid of it.

If I buy it off him (through ebay), can u contact Ping to get this problem sorted or do I need some kind of proof that I was the original purchaser?

I've never had to send a club back to the manufacturer so no idea how these things work!

I can get my hands on a G400 LST for a steal, but it has this tungsten weight missing. I guess the owner can't be bothered to get it sorted/doesn't think it can be sorted and so is just looking to get rid of it.

If I buy it off him (through ebay), can u contact Ping to get this problem sorted or do I need some kind of proof that I was the original purchaser?

I've never had to send a club back to the manufacturer so no idea how these things work!

I would be shocked if Ping didn’t fix it. They know it’s a problem.

Even if they didn’t fix it, a few strips of lead tape would solve the weight issue. Weight is weight. That tungsten isn’t magic.

If the price is really good someone else may jump on it to fix it and resell it for a profit. Better hurry.

I have 2 and the weights have fell off of both, Ping is great about fixing them but the inconvenience of not having my club for a week is frustrating. Both have been fixed twice. Great driver though!! I may try the lead tape fix, that sounds like a good fix.

This is a large part of the reason I no longer play Ping. I had Anser irons that kept losing weights. When I could find them I'd put some epoxy on them and it was no longer an issue. But the one's I couldn't find had to be sent to Ping since they absolutely refused to send me a 50 cent weight. Being without a club during the middle of golf season is kinda ridiculous for a part I can replace in my garage in 30 seconds...

I just feel when its such a simple fix and since it so prevalent, at least give customers the option of having the weight sent to them and replacing it themselves.

Just got my lst yesterday and played it for the first time today. Hopefully mine doesn't have this issue

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I would be shocked if Ping didn’t fix it. They know it’s a problem.

Even if they didn’t fix it, a few strips of lead tape would solve the weight issue. Weight is weight. That tungsten isn’t magic.

If the price is really good someone else may jump on it to fix it and resell it for a profit. Better hurry.

You're right, I just bought it before someone beats me to it.

Even better deal than I thought as I just realised it comes with a Rogue Silver Tour shaft rather than regular silver as I first thought.

Does anyone know how much this tungsten bit weighs? I will use some lead tape to add the weight back on.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be shocked if Ping didn't fix it. They know it's a problem.

Even if they didn't fix it, a few strips of lead tape would solve the weight issue. Weight is weight. That tungsten isn't magic.

You're right, I just bought it before someone beats me to it.

Even better deal than I thought as I just realised it comes with a Rogue Silver Tour shaft rather than regular silver as I first thought.

Does anyone know how much this tungsten bit weighs? I will use some lead tape to add the weight back on.

Anyone?

I had 2 different heads of the LST, both lost their tungsten weights. Got my first one at launch. Gave up after the 2nd one and went back to my Cobra.

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• 2 months later...

Weight fell off of my G400 LST two weeks ago, only about two weeks after getting it. Ping requested I send it back to have it repaired. Said it would take 4-6 weeks turnaround time. I was floored with that response. Brand new driver and I'm supposed to go without for 4-6 weeks??? Of course I have no idea where the piece went, just noticed it missing one day during play.

I'm sure there are all sorts of things "I" can do to rig my $400 driver up but that does not seem appropriate to me. Terrible customer service. As it is I'll just wait until the end of the season and have it sent in.

Full disclosure I'm in Canada so I'm sure the shipping hassle adds to the timing estimate but the response I would have expected from Ping would've been... "No problem sir, we stand behind our product and would absolutely not want to inconvenience you in the heart of your golf season. We'll send you a new head just please ship your defective head back to us when you receive the new one."

Weight fell off of my G400 LST two weeks ago, only about two weeks after getting it. Ping requested I send it back to have it repaired. Said it would take 4-6 weeks turnaround time. I was floored with that response. Brand new driver and I'm supposed to go without for 4-6 weeks??? Of course I have no idea where the piece went, just noticed it missing one day during play.

I'm sure there are all sorts of things "I" can do to rig my $400 driver up but that does not seem appropriate to me. Terrible customer service. As it is I'll just wait until the end of the season and have it sent in.

Full disclosure I'm in Canada so I'm sure the shipping hassle adds to the timing estimate but the response I would have expected from Ping would've been... "No problem sir, we stand behind our product and would absolutely not want to inconvenience you in the heart of your golf season. We'll send you a new head just please ship your defective head back to us when you receive the new one."

Since the start of this thread i've seen this issue more and more. 4-6 weeks is horrible customer service. The weight on mine came off as well but I actually was happy about it as I just added melt to the head to get my weight back and put it in a more optimal position in the head. It's better then it was before so thank god i have a tour hotmelt setup in my shop :D

Edel PROTO

Called ping the other day about mine. Then they redirected me to ping Canada. So called them and tbey said 4-6 weeks as they would have to send it to Phoenix to be fixed anyway. Have it loaded up with lead tape for the time being. Sucks but what can you do. I didn’t buy mine new. It was from another guy. If I was brand new from golftown then yah I would be demanding a new one off the shelf

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue with mine, sent it into ping and it fell off again within a week.

They did not collect it from American Golf for a week, so the whole thing took 3 weeks and it didn't even last a round.

I might put my own weight in there this time around. Someone said its a 6g weight, another said its 12g.

I would guess the latter, I doubt 6g of weight is going to take several hundred RPM off.

Mine was 12g (measured headwieght before and after i lost it )

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I have the same issue with mine, sent it into ping and it fell off again within a week.

They did not collect it from American Golf for a week, so the whole thing took 3 weeks and it didn't even last a round.

I might put my own weight in there this time around. Someone said its a 6g weight, another said its 12g.

I would guess the latter, I doubt 6g of weight is going to take several hundred RPM off.

Mine came out and I just left it off and added the weight back to the head with hotmelt in my shop. I actually added the weight forward to get even less spin and i like the driver even better now.

Edel PROTO

Mine came out and I just left it off and added the weight back to the head with hotmelt in my shop. I actually added the weight forward to get even less spin and i like the driver even better now.

Been thinking of similar.

Would love to see a photo of your mod?

I take it the driver is still USGA compliant with such mods?