Justin Thomas New OWGR #1 Player

mjen43

With the GOATs rapid ascension up the ranks and his clear return to form, it figures to only be a matter of time before he reclaims his rightful spot on the throne.

I see no issue with this statement. Clearly you're just as bright as I am on a bright and sunny day when it's not raining in florida like it is today when it was raining earlier.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad JT finally reached #1 in the world, it was deserved for his play from a few months ago.

But this is where my problem lies in the OWGR...

JT was clearly the best player in the word between August 2017 to January 2018, but was never #1.. Now he finally reaches it after arguably playing worse these past few months. This system didn't reward him for his great play while he was actually playing great!

Huh? He has won along with a 2nd and 4th in the two WGC's since Jan 1. Other than one cut he has placed in the top 25 in the 10 events he played.

also JT has a punchable face just like Poulter except he has MAD game to back it up. Poulter has a punchable face and so so game.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

JT had the chance to be another Spieth amongst hardcore and casual golf fans - a US darling. But he went a different direction. I'm not saying this just bc of kicking a fan out of the Honda. It all started much earlier than that. He's super young so he has some time to turn it around, but it doesn't seem he's going to. I might be overreacting bc I generally dislike him, but it's just how I feel. I know people might think that's ridiculous, and I definitely understand why people are JT fans, (he's a stud on the links and can go low with the best of them)but he had an opportunity and didn't take it.

yep.. That maybe part of my issue.. Spieth colored glasses if you will.. To me you cant like both .. they are polar opposites. Like phil and Tiger...

What if i blew your mind and told you i love all 4? I think youre confusing the golfer and the person. thats what ruins things for most people on here is the emotional attachment. I like/love so many golfers that im spoiled almost every other week. Sure ill root for one over the other depending on the circumstances like the WGC mexico. If it was 2014 I wouldnt mind if Phil lost but it was 2018 and he hadnt won in near 5 years so of course i was rooting for him. I can see how Thomas has very easily hatable traits and believe me he dropped plenty of notches after throwing that guy out at the honda like he was a tough guy. Could have walked up to a security guy or a rules official and whispered take care of that guy please and kept strolling up the fairway but wanted to play the bouncer role. in the end it was his call to do it that way. Wont affect how i perceive him as a golfer though. Same goes for tiger. I really like this version of him because hes a little warmer to fans and people hes paired with. I only wished he did more of that in his prime. Again though doesnt affect my view of him as a golfer. I know its tough but its alot easier to enjoy the game.

Classy post. I feel the same way. I respect every one of them for what they've accomplished to be piped into my life via the PGA Tour. Sometimes I get a little annoyed at the gangster stroll of Koepka and DJ, but that would never bring me to use a word as strong as "hate".

I think its important for us to remember that we live in a sad era of journalism. These young men aren't all gifted with the poise of Jordan Spieth. They are going to stick their feet in their mouth frequently and 9 times out of 10 whoever is reporting that story was more then happy to either lead them down that road, or present the information in the most inflammatory nature possible.

excuse my ignorance, so this is all based on a 2 year cycle? I have a few questions to then follow up on that. If going off a 2 year window, as soon as we get 6 months down the road and we get to the beginning of JTs dominance, would his points then go up? and as soon as the US Open comes this year, will Rahm then fall off? I believe he was an amateur until the US Open in 2016?

Regarding Rahm, he has had what I think is an unfair advantage since getting 40 pro events under his belt as he has not been burdened by having played events that are almost 2 years old. You are correct in surmising that this advantage ends with the US Open...he will have to play even better than he has to move up the rankings further.

Not as clear cut with JT. As we approach week 43 (when he won the CIMB in 2016), he will still have his 7 wins, but the 3 wins in late '16 & early '17 will be severely devalued but the OWGR will still count the events fully in his denominator (which is flawed IMO). For several weeks before those wins fall off, his OWGR average would actually be higher if he had simply skipped the event instead of playing and winning.

Ian Poulter will soon replace Rahm as the big winner under the OWGR methodology as he didn't play any events between weeks 22 & 42 in 2016.

people like you give me hope for the internet and people behind keyboards. thanks for the knowledge! But it does seem a little silly to have events fall off yet still counted for. But I am no mathematician to give any ideas to fix that.

also JT has a punchable face just like Poulter except he has MAD game to back it up. Poulter has a punchable face and so so game.

Mr. "So So Game" is the current world #28 and a winner on the PGA Tour this season.

We all know these world rankings don’t mean much. How do you explain tiger not being rank no1.

And it was his first win in like 5 years. His game is so so relative to the tour. Obviously a billion times better than This keyboard hero.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

the main thing i have issue with in the present formula is the 2-year running period..

..why not 1 year??

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

the rankings lag too far behind.

JT should have been #1 months ago.

I would agree with that ( see progress !)....It would be much harder for me to argue against him had he been crowned while playing well ... He could have had his turn and lost it back by now.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Mr. "So So Game" is the current world #28 and a winner on the PGA Tour this season.

Don't forget $43.1 million in career earnings.

It's incredible how biased is the judgement of a players game simply based on his likability :D he also reached world top 5!

It's incredible how biased is the judgement of a players game simply based on his likability :D he also reached world top 5!

the problem with this statement is I've been on record being ok with poulter; that doesn't stop me from admitting he has a punchable face(he really does just like JT). I play at his home club a LOT. He's not a nice person at all so there's no bias in his likeability. Dude is a jerk.

And the statement should be rephrased he has a punchable face with so so game relative to JT cuz that boy got MADDDD GAME.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

the problem with this statement is I've been on record being ok with poulter; that doesn't stop me from admitting he has a punchable face(he really does just like JT). I play at his home club a LOT. He's not a nice person at all so there's no bias in his likeability. Dude is a jerk.

And the statement should be rephrased he has a punchable face with so so game relative to JT cuz that boy got MADDDD GAME.

We'll see how he performs in Paris ;)

Only on here can you have a player with JT's performance in the last 18 months which includes 7 wins, one being a major, along with winning the Fedex cup be portrayed as undeserving of the top ranking.

If Tiger puts up identical numbers over the next 18 months certain people here will call it the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf.

Tiger winning 7 events with one major in the next 18 months at age 42-43 (with his back issues) could possibly be the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf. Just like Tom Watson at the 09 Open at age 59 would have been the greatest major championship victory ever. The Tiger haters are just as irrational as the TW fanboys. Both sides can become tiresome in their self-righteousness.

On topic, I think JT is an appropriate vanguard for the young guns movement. He's confident (some say overly so), social media savvy, and swings out of his shoes. I think JT has the game to compete on pretty much any course and should be near the top of the OWGR for a long time.

I'm not a Tiger hater, or fan. I'm somewhat ambivalent to him, while at the same time greatly appreciating what he's done on the course. It's simply a comment on the overzealouness of SOME of his fans. And no, I don't believe the "haters" come anywhere near the irrationalness of some of the hardcore fans here.

There is some pretty wild stuff that gets said. And while I agree some of the wild stuff comes from both sides, I don't think its nearly equal.

I would agree with that ( see progress !)....It would be much harder for me to argue against him had he been crowned while playing well ... He could have had his turn and lost it back by now.

Isn't that more of a Dustin Johnson issue than a JT issue?

Only on here can you have a player with JT's performance in the last 18 months which includes 7 wins, one being a major, along with winning the Fedex cup be portrayed as undeserving of the top ranking.

If Tiger puts up identical numbers over the next 18 months certain people here will call it the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf.

Tiger winning 7 events with one major in the next 18 months at age 42-43 (with his back issues) could possibly be the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf. Just like Tom Watson at the 09 Open at age 59 would have been the greatest major championship victory ever. The Tiger haters are just as irrational as the TW fanboys. Both sides can become tiresome in their self-righteousness.

On topic, I think JT is an appropriate vanguard for the young guns movement. He's confident (some say overly so), social media savvy, and swings out of his shoes. I think JT has the game to compete on pretty much any course and should be near the top of the OWGR for a long time.

I'm not a Tiger hater, or fan. I'm somewhat ambivalent to him, while at the same time greatly appreciating what he's done on the course. It's simply a comment on the overzealouness of SOME of his fans. And no, I don't believe the "haters" come anywhere near the irrationalness of some of the hardcore fans here.

There is some pretty wild stuff that gets said. And while I agree some of the wild stuff comes from both sides, I don't think its nearly equal.

The real fanaticism hasn't even started yet, if he starts to kill it, look out.

Let's not forget...

And this was in the UK ; )

fans71712.jpg

Spieth bass was bigger ����

DSdn4CdWkAA22Y1.jpg

jack-nicklaus-1358-pound-black-marlin.jpg?quality=90&w=650

and the story...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jack-nicklaus-jordan-spieth-big-fish-stories

It took him six and half hours to land it, so about how long it took him to play 18 holes. Despite being sore, he still went out and won the Australian Open later that week.

DSdn4CdWkAA22Y1.jpg

and the story...

https://www.golfdige...ig-fish-stories

It took him six and half hours to land it, so about how long it took him to play 18 holes. Despite being sore, he still went out and won the Australian Open later that week.

Ha! TW gonna have to try to land Dickie Mo to beat that

dicky-moe-c2a9-mgm.jpg

Isn't that more of a Dustin Johnson issue than a JT issue?

How so. Dj got it while playing great. And lost it whoops playin bad. Jt didn’t get it until dj played bad ... What you mean ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

DSdn4CdWkAA22Y1.jpg

and the story...

https://www.golfdige...ig-fish-stories

Ha! TW gonna have to try to land Dickie Mo to beat that

dicky-moe-c2a9-mgm.jpg

Tiger is like naw I caught mine with a spear, the guys in the background of Jacks photo are the real ones who look tired ...lol

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5