Justin Thomas New OWGR #1 Player

mjen43

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is pretty crazy to think that after Thursday. DJ was -6, JT was +1. At the end of Friday, JT was a big cut mover. His bogie on 18, after birds on 16 and 17, was a reason cut dropped to -1 to even make it in the weekend. And to come out of the weekend as the new #1. Pretty impressive after he came out and said thinking about being #1 caused nerves against Bubba in match play. He certainly earned the "#1" spot as over the last 18 months, look at all his Ws. And even when he seems to be out of the tourney, he always has the capability to go on these runs and goes low.

I'm not sure you can get more consistent as DJ, I believe he is the leader in scoring average. He never seems to put 4 rounds together. And when he does have 2 good days, he has an average day and takes him out. He doesnt seem the type that it bugs him he isnt #1 anymore, probably bugs TM more than him that they cannot use "#1 uses TwistFace" But as many stated, the top is so close right now. I dont see anyone holding it for over a year like DJ just did when it will just take a few tournaments of someone getting hot and taking it over again.

Only on here can you have a player with JT's performance in the last 18 months which includes 7 wins, one being a major, along with winning the Fedex cup be portrayed as undeserving of the top ranking.

If Tiger puts up identical numbers over the next 18 months certain people here will call it the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf.

there is no doubt to me that he deserves the no.1 ranking...the question is how long can he keep it...

Agreed. It's probably going to be like musical chairs at the top. Lots of really, really good players hovering up there.

I would have to imagine that without some pretty consistent top finishes (probably sprinkle in a win or 2) out of whoever is #1 there's going to be a lot of changes like we had in 2015.

I'd rather have any other player in the top 10 be the #1. I know it doesn't matter at all, but I have always, and will continue to, not like

Justin Thomas.

If any other player in the top 10 is going to take over #1, I'm going with Day. And did I miss a Hideki injury at some point? He's been missing from leaderboards for a while.

I'd rather have any other player in the top 10 be the #1. I know it doesn't matter at all, but I have always, and will continue to, not like

Justin Thomas.

If any other player in the top 10 is going to take over #1, I'm going with Day. And did I miss a Hideki injury at some point? He's been missing from leaderboards for a while.

id say as much as the nerves caused him to not play well to get #1 once he realized it was in play for that certain week , (playoff against Phil, Match play etc) and again this week playing poorly until after the pressure to get #1 was off ...only to get it with DJ playing bad and backing up ..... those same nerves will have to be overcome or else they will eat him until its gone from view..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Could be wrong, but with neither JT or DJ teeing it up at the Byron Nelson this week I decided to calculate the OWGR rankings for both for next week.

With the 2016 Players falling off the divisor for the OWGR, DJ should actually reclaim the top spot on Monday.

Could be wrong, but with neither JT or DJ teeing it up at the Byron Nelson this week I decided to calculate the OWGR rankings for both for next week.

With the 2016 Players falling off the divisor for the OWGR, DJ should actually reclaim the top spot on Monday.

face palm .....WGR is = to AP polls...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I will say that the anti climactic way he's getting it ( someone else faltering) is pretty fitting. And I'll stop. Hate isn't lovely on anyone. I don't now why this kid irks me. But he does.

Oh wait, you were serious with your previous post? I read it as being sarcastic.

Do you actually think Thomas choked in Mexico?! He shot 64-62 over the weekend. He was 11 behind Sharma after 2 days. He had no right to be even in contention. He holes a wedge from the fairway on 18 (!), one of the most clutch shots of the year.

He choked it in the playoff? He bogeyed a hole that he also bogeyed in regulation, that had a clear advantage to a left-hander - it was a tight par 3 with a small landing area that clearly favoured a left-handed fade to a right-handed draw. It was also one week after he had just won in Florida...

And they pull me back in ......lol

Dead serious. Look at his face when phil is finishing out. HE hoped phil would bogey. He didn't want to play for it. It's writren on his face. Then watch his body language etc through the playoff hole. Phil was all over his head. The kid can go low. Yes. But every time he plays with tiger ( the hero etc) or gets close against it with anyone not Luke List he wilts.

What great battle has he out lasted someone of proven substance on ?

I agree with Jeff. I need to stop looking at this as the actual best player. It's simply an AP poll if you will and will change with the next win. Tiger simply spoiled us into believing that it denotes the actual best. Or guy most likely to win anyway given week. He isn't that.

He beat Reed, Oosthuizen, Molinari, Fowler and Matsuyama to win a major last year. Good list of players, and he did it with a clutch birdie on the 16th or 17th if I remember correctly. He beat Jordan Spieth to win the Dell Technologies in the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. It's only his 4th year on the PGA Tour, so it's not like he's had battle after battle with his greatest rivals. He's done alright so far.

7 wins in the last ~18 months - and he actually beat everyone in the field. Why people obsess over who was second or third is beyond me. Who gives a rats @ss "what great battles he outlasted someone of proven substance". He beat everyone in the damn field!

JT is certainly the best player over the last 18 or so months, though it seems he has cooled off a little lately.

I will say that the anti climactic way he's getting it ( someone else faltering) is pretty fitting. And I'll stop. Hate isn't lovely on anyone. I don't now why this kid irks me. But he does.

Oh wait, you were serious with your previous post? I read it as being sarcastic.

Do you actually think Thomas choked in Mexico?! He shot 64-62 over the weekend. He was 11 behind Sharma after 2 days. He had no right to be even in contention. He holes a wedge from the fairway on 18 (!), one of the most clutch shots of the year.

He choked it in the playoff? He bogeyed a hole that he also bogeyed in regulation, that had a clear advantage to a left-hander - it was a tight par 3 with a small landing area that clearly favoured a left-handed fade to a right-handed draw. It was also one week after he had just won in Florida...

Dead serious. Look at his face when phil is finishing out. HE hoped phil would bogey. He didn't want to play for it. It's writren on his face. Then watch his body language etc through the playoff hole. Phil was all over his head. The kid can go low. Yes. But every time he plays with tiger ( the hero etc) or gets close against it with anyone not Luke List he wilts.

I agree with Jeff. I need to stop looking at this as the actual best player. It's simply an AP poll if you will and will change with the next win. Tiger simply spoiled us into believing that it denotes the actual best. Or guy most likely to win anyway given week. He isn't that.

He beat Reed, Oosthuizen, Molinari, Fowler and Matsuyama to win a major last year. Good list of players, and he did it with a clutch birdie on the 16th or 17th if I remember correctly. He beat Jordan Spieth to win the Dell Technologies in the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. It's only his 4th year on the PGA Tour, so it's not like he's had battle after battle with his greatest rivals. He's done alright so far.

7 wins in the last ~18 months - and he actually beat everyone in the field. Why people obsess over who was second or third is beyond me. Who gives a rats @ss "what great battles he outlasted someone of proven substance". He beat everyone in the damn field!

JT is certainly the best player over the last 18 or so months, though it seems he has cooled off a little lately.

well the obvious answer is "me'....lol

but i do get how you dont like that idea.... just depends on what side of the fence you are on. I disagree with "certainly".. He may have been the best player.. But folks are acting like he put up tiger 2000 numbers and hasnt gotten recognition for it .... Spieth has 6 wins and a major too in last 2 years.. so hardly "certainly"... maybe "barely'.?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Let's add that the top 3 are all 'Merican. Suck on that Kazakhstan.

Kazakhstan has better potassium than you!

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

no doubt... Hes like the pros kid who lives at the club and walks around snitching on folks for hitting a range ball left on the range he didnt pay for ...You just want to take that kid into the mens room , give him a swirly and then leave him in a locker.

But thats just me....lol

This is as good a description of him as any.

I used to play golf with a kid like that when I was a junior. Complete nob head. Unfortunately he was a lot better than me as well, which hurt.

Followed Thomas around the day he shot 59 out here at Waialae, was just ridiculous watching him compared to Spieth. Spieth would take 2-3 minutes to talk out every shot with Grueller, but Thomas normally walked up and hit really quickly. To be honest before that 59, I didn't really know much about Thomas. Then it seemed like he just didn't slow down for the rest of the year.

Gonna hope that Justin hangs on to it for a while, but like everyone else has said, just a lot of really good players near the top.

the Official World Golf Rankings(OWGR) are based on a mathematical formula which produces an exact result.

all these arguments pro and against the results are subjective in nature..

accept them or not but the results are unarguable mathematically..

but continue with your subjective opinions..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

the Official World Golf Rankings(OWGR) are based on a mathematical formula which produces an exact result.

All formulas produce an exact result. The question is, is it the right result?

For some reason, it feels similar to getting a HS varsity letter for being in band.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Or even, is it the correct formula?

Excellent point.!

I'm sure that most agree that is a flawed formula.

The problem would be to get anyone to agree on the changes needed to make it more relevant.

okay... so now we're questioning whether the current methodology is correct which is a different matter for discussion altogether..

suggestions for a better system are welcome..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I like JT a lot.

Kid seems old school but stuck being born a millenial.

Like, if he was born back in the day, he would smoke butts, and drink booze, and call waitresses "honey", putt out a butt in his mashed potatoes.

He actually looks old and has angry old man mannerisms.

Hes like a millenial, Al Bundy, #1 golfer.

I like JT a lot.

Like, if he was born back in the day, he would smoke butts, and drink booze, and call waitresses "honey", putt out a butt in his mashed potatoes.

What in the world does it mean to smoke a butt, or butts?

no doubt... Hes like the pros kid who lives at the club and walks around snitching on folks for hitting a range ball left on the range he didnt pay for ...You just want to take that kid into the mens room , give him a swirly and then leave him in a locker.

But thats just me....lol

This is as good a description as him as any.

I used to play golf with a kid like that when I was a junior. Complete nob head. Unfortunately he was a lot better than me as well, which hurt.

This is exactly how I feel. He's the kid at the junior tournament with a full bag of brand new TItleist, wearing pants, with his dad following him, and he calls a penalty on you for your club touching a grain of sand in a bunker.

Don’t like JT and agree with all the comparisons of him. Not to say he doesn’t have a ton of talent and a very impressive career so far, just don’t think he’s the best golfer in the world as the OWGR would suggest.

Unfortunately the rankings have fallen victim to the same thing other stats/formulas/etc have in golf: what have you done for me lately? I guess at worst it keeps things interesting, but it’s just not all that accurate in my opinion. Definitely agree that the recipe should be reviewed/reworked.

I like JT a lot.

71qCInhqk4L._SX466_.jpg

Blade you normally talk sense but you seem to be letting your dislike of him colour your judgement about his golf game. Sure he's smug and annoying, but I wonder about the criteria you're applying.

Whether he's 'outlasted' anyone significant seems rather arbitrary for starters.

But thats just me....lol

Ill try to be nice and leave it alone until next week or so when someone else takes it back

Honestly he seems like a perfectly nice dude and I don't have any issue with him really. He just has an unfortunately bland and eminently punchable face. He's fine when he's just smiling and talking, but its that resting "I am spitefully shi**** myself" face he has when watching his shot that gets people swiping left. :D

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I like JT a lot.

Well, it means something MUCH different in 2018 than it would have in 1970, that's for sure!

JT is a deserving number #1 and should keep it for at least another week.

face palm .....WGR is = to AP polls...

Cards13 scenario of the rankings changing with none of the affected players teeing it up is possible, but I don't think it will happen this week. I decided to replicate Cards13 work and originally got the same thing, but noticed that I made a mistake when I copied over my calculations from DJ to JT (b/c I had deleted the 2018 Match Play to avoid a "-" from being added...in JT's case, this was 22.2 points).

I have stated numerous times that the OWGR uses a mathematically flawed concept of weighted average. Interestingly, I think JT's points average will actually go up next week after not playing this week and seeing his t3 at the 2016 Players (worth 22.8 points at the time, but currently dragging down his "average") drop out (which causes his OWGR divisor to go down)

Proposed Solution?

Take the 8 best point totals out of the last 13 week PLUS the last 4 majors played (to avoid a reining major champ seeing his points devalued prior to giving up the crown). Count this as ~40% of the Players average

The other 60% would be a pure weighted average of the remainder of the 104 weeks using the current OWGR weightings for both numerator and denominator.

I wouldn't be opposed to going back more than 104 weeks while still keeping the weighted average front loaded with recent play and the last 4 majors.

excuse my ignorance, so this is all based on a 2 year cycle? I have a few questions to then follow up on that. If going off a 2 year window, as soon as we get 6 months down the road and we get to the beginning of JTs dominance, would his points then go up? and as soon as the US Open comes this year, will Rahm then fall off? I believe he was an amateur until the US Open in 2016?

@ Bladehunter

As was already said, you usually talk sense, but you sound like an Word not allowedhat right now. Yes 7 wins in 18 months is Tiger-esque and JT has played incredible golf over that stretch. We all have golfers we don't like but your criteria for judgement of his game seems way off base.

If we wanna talk crap on someone can we please use Tyrell Hatton or Zac Blair?

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS