Justin Thomas New OWGR #1 Player

mjen43

@ Bladehunter

As was already said, you usually talk sense, but you sound like an Word not allowedhat right now. Yes 7 wins in 18 months is Tiger-esque and JT has played incredible golf over that stretch. We all have golfers we don't like but your criteria for judgement of his game seems way off base.

If we wanna talk crap on someone can we please use Tyrell Hatton or Zac Blair?

Listen to JT's No Laying Up podcast. Kinda confirms everything being said.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of people whose posts I normally really enjoy are really showing their Word not allowedes in this thread. Justin Thomas grew up the son of a golf pro. While he surely had the advantage of tutelage from an early age, I'm sure his family had to skimp and save to put him on the national circuit. He chooses to dress old school (I dig that personally - I dress that way too), so he's a snob with a "punch-able face" ? He got bent out of shape with a heckling fan and it happened to be on the air for the world to hear? So what. He's a young man. How many of you s*** your pants a few times growing up? I bet when you did it wasn't national news...

The world golf ranking is a complex formula that does the best it can to identify the top talent in a sport where that duty is very complicated and difficult. If you don't like it, come up with a better formula. But stop b*tching like you're in a red hat and out for tea and cucumber sandwiches. "Tour Talk" should be renamed "Tour Gripes". Judge these guys by their golf games and stop treating professional golf like its an episode of "The Jersey Shore".

I will give credit to Bladehunter, he brought up the only valid point so far in this thread, and that was Thomas's wilting performance in the playoff against Mickelson. That was not a world #1 moment for him and I wonder how he'll perform next time he's in a spot like that...

JT had the chance to be another Spieth amongst hardcore and casual golf fans - a US darling. But he went a different direction. I'm not saying this just bc of kicking a fan out of the Honda. It all started much earlier than that. He's super young so he has some time to turn it around, but it doesn't seem he's going to. I might be overreacting bc I generally dislike him, but it's just how I feel. I know people might think that's ridiculous, and I definitely understand why people are JT fans, (he's a stud on the links and can go low with the best of them)but he had an opportunity and didn't take it.

Coming in to this a little late but I am genuinely surprised at some of the dislike there is for Thomas.

I think I disagreed with Bladehunter at the time about him choking in Mexico. He hit a good shot in the playoff, he simply flew the green. If he came up miles short, if he shanked it or the strike was poor, I would give you the choke but he did not do that in Mexico. I also disagree that Reed is better than Thomas. That statement simply does not stand up to scrutiny.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I will say that the anti climactic way he's getting it ( someone else faltering) is pretty fitting. And I'll stop. Hate isn't lovely on anyone. I don't now why this kid irks me. But he does.

Was it the cardigan and tie? That irked me too.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

excuse my ignorance, so this is all based on a 2 year cycle? I have a few questions to then follow up on that. If going off a 2 year window, as soon as we get 6 months down the road and we get to the beginning of JTs dominance, would his points then go up? and as soon as the US Open comes this year, will Rahm then fall off? I believe he was an amateur until the US Open in 2016?

Regarding Rahm, he has had what I think is an unfair advantage since getting 40 pro events under his belt as he has not been burdened by having played events that are almost 2 years old. You are correct in surmising that this advantage ends with the US Open...he will have to play even better than he has to move up the rankings further.

Not as clear cut with JT. As we approach week 43 (when he won the CIMB in 2016), he will still have his 7 wins, but the 3 wins in late '16 & early '17 will be severely devalued but the OWGR will still count the events fully in his denominator (which is flawed IMO). For several weeks before those wins fall off, his OWGR average would actually be higher if he had simply skipped the event instead of playing and winning.

Ian Poulter will soon replace Rahm as the big winner under the OWGR methodology as he didn't play any events between weeks 22 & 42 in 2016.

Only on here can you have a player with JT's performance in the last 18 months which includes 7 wins, one being a major, along with winning the Fedex cup be portrayed as undeserving of the top ranking.

If Tiger puts up identical numbers over the next 18 months certain people here will call it the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf.

Tiger winning 7 events with one major in the next 18 months at age 42-43 (with his back issues) could possibly be the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf. Just like Tom Watson at the 09 Open at age 59 would have been the greatest major championship victory ever. The Tiger haters are just as irrational as the TW fanboys. Both sides can become tiresome in their self-righteousness.

On topic, I think JT is an appropriate vanguard for the young guns movement. He's confident (some say overly so), social media savvy, and swings out of his shoes. I think JT has the game to compete on pretty much any course and should be near the top of the OWGR for a long time.

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

@ Bladehunter

As was already said, you usually talk sense, but you sound like an Word not allowedhat right now. Yes 7 wins in 18 months is Tiger-esque and JT has played incredible golf over that stretch. We all have golfers we don't like but your criteria for judgement of his game seems way off base.

lol i agree with you .. I do sound like an a**... But facts are those numbers arent other worldly.. and he did have many opportunities to claim #1 and seemed to wilt each time..... as i said earlier JS is 1 win from matching it, and his major in that time period is the games greatest .... Thats all. So great play yes.. clear best player on earth ? nope

Im a people watcher and its funny.... This thread mirrors my real life experiences... Im super easy going and amendable to most anything within reason 99% of the time.. BUT the 1% time i have a objection , or disagreement on something i usually end up being called an a**...lol Now heres the question... For the guys who are natural contrarians and object to anything and everything , why does it seem like its ok that they are that way and I get called out for stepping over the line they live on the opposite side of? am i just noticing it because its rare or am i held to some lofty standard..lol things that make you go Hmmmm?...

by the way ..I picked out the compliment and took absolutely zero offense...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Kinda shocked how many people either dislike JT or don't think he should be ranked that high.

I don't think of JT as the best player out there but there is no question he should be ranked #1 at the moment for his play over the past few years.

He is hilarious on twitter, I can't find the tweet but it's on a story about the guy getting stabbed on the course over a rules infraction and JT tweets "probably yelled get in the bunker" (referencing the incident he had with a fan the week before ...lol)

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

JT had the chance to be another Spieth amongst hardcore and casual golf fans - a US darling. But he went a different direction. I'm not saying this just bc of kicking a fan out of the Honda. It all started much earlier than that. He's super young so he has some time to turn it around, but it doesn't seem he's going to. I might be overreacting bc I generally dislike him, but it's just how I feel. I know people might think that's ridiculous, and I definitely understand why people are JT fans, (he's a stud on the links and can go low with the best of them)but he had an opportunity and didn't take it.

yep.. That maybe part of my issue.. Spieth colored glasses if you will.. To me you cant like both .. they are polar opposites. Like phil and Tiger...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Only on here can you have a player with JT's performance in the last 18 months which includes 7 wins, one being a major, along with winning the Fedex cup be portrayed as undeserving of the top ranking.

If Tiger puts up identical numbers over the next 18 months certain people here will call it the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf.

I'm pretty dispassionate about the issue, but Tiger winning 7 events with one major in the next 18 months at age 42-43 (with his back issues) could possibly be the single greatest 18 month stretch in the history of golf. Just like Tom Watson at the 09 Open at age 59 would have been the greatest major championship victory ever. The Tiger haters are just as irrational as the TW fanboys. Both sides are tiresome in their self-righteous beliefs.

On topic, I think JT is an appropriate vanguard for the young guns movement. He's confident (some say overly so), social media savvy, and swings out of his shoes. I think JT has the game to compete on pretty much any course and should be near the top of the OWGR for a long time.

that brings up another interesting opinion i have.... will he have a long career? as in swinging that way will be play 15years ? i doubt it..and cant think of anyone who has.. tiger has had rebuilt himself 4 times at least swinging that way...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I’m glad JT finally reached #1 in the world, it was deserved for his play from a few months ago.

But this is where my problem lies in the OWGR...

JT was clearly the best player in the word between August 2017 to January 2018, but was never #1.. Now he finally reaches it after arguably playing worse these past few months. This system didn’t reward him for his great play while he was actually playing great!

yep.. That maybe part of my issue.. Spieth colored glasses if you will.. To me you cant like both .. they are polar opposites. Like phil and Tiger...

I can see that, but as someone that hated Phil for YEARS (major Tiger fanboy here), i have learned to love him. The way he treats fans and his duel with Stenson at The Open won me over.

I'm not a Thomas fanboy but i think he has crazy game and when he is on, i would put him in the Tiger, DJ, Rory, Day, Spieth category of being able to completely obliterate a field

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

I'm fine with JT being #1, as I think he is a great player, and really don't have any issues in regards to his character, as some have stated they have.

Kinda shocked how many people either dislike JT or don't think he should be ranked that high.

I don't think of JT as the best player out there but there is no question he should be ranked #1 at the moment for his play over the past few years.

He is hilarious on twitter, I can't find the tweet but it's on a story about the guy getting stabbed on the course over a rules infraction and JT tweets "probably yelled get in the bunker" (referencing the incident he had with a fan the week before ...lol)

Personally, when I think of the #1 player in the world, I would think that would also coincide with being the best player out there, right? So, if you think JT is one, but not the other, I think that's where some of these valid points are coming from.

I can see that, but as someone that hated Phil for YEARS (major Tiger fanboy here), i have learned to love him. The way he treats fans and his duel with Stenson at The Open won me over.

I'm not a Thomas fanboy but i think he has crazy game and when he is on, i would put him in the Tiger, DJ, Rory, Day, Spieth category of being able to completely obliterate a field

im with you .. I was a Phil fan for ever.. didnt hate tiger .....BUT didnt want him to beat Phil... now i actively pull for both and could flip a coin.. and yes.. He is in that group play wise... He will likely win me over like Bubba and other fellow weirdos have ... lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@ Bladehunter

lol i agree with you .. I do sound like an a**... But facts are those numbers arent other worldly.. and he did have many opportunities to claim #1 and seemed to wilt each time..... as i said earlier JS is 1 win from matching it, and his major in that time period is the games greatest .... Thats all. So great play yes.. clear best player on earth ? nope

Im a people watcher and its funny.... This thread mirrors my real life experiences... Im super easy going and amendable to most anything within reason 99% of the time.. BUT the 1% time i have a objection , or disagreement on something i usually end up being called an a**...lol Now heres the question... For the guys who are natural contrarians and object to anything and everything , why does it seem like its ok that they are that way and I get called out for stepping over the line they live on the opposite side of? am i just noticing it because its rare or am i held to some lofty standard..lol things that make you go Hmmmm?...

It's not that you have an objection to JT's #1 world ranking that make you look like an a**, it's the fact that you are making your posts so personal about the guy. I'm pretty sure none of us know the guy, so to insult the guy like that seems a little overboard. From what I have seen, he seems like Phil in some ways (when he was FIGJAM): he's overly cocky, makes questionable fashion choices, plays fearless and fires at pins, takes the time to sign a bunch of autographs and engages with fans. So I find it odd to love Phil and hate JT. 20 years ago, was Phil that different from JT?

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

I'm fine with JT being #1, as I think he is a great player, and really don't have any issues in regards to his character, as some have stated they have.

Personally, when I think of the #1 player in the world, I would think that would also coincide with being the best player out there, right? So, if you think JT is one, but not the other, I think that's where some of these valid points are coming from.

depends on if you agree with the way the ranking is done. I mean if they did a 1-year rolling ranking I think a lot more people would agree with the #1 player at the time they get their ranking

a good example would be when VJ took tiger off the #1 ranking, sure he was #1 in the world but I don't think anyone ever doubted who the best player was even if the ranking did not say that...

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

hard to like him. wish i didnt feel this way as hes a heck of a player and does some amazing things for his size/build. I just cant stop thinking hes a walking contradiction. Dressing old school but acting like an entitled millenial, complains non stop when things arent going perfectly well for him and just overall a negative body language in my opinion.

depends on if you agree with the way the ranking is done. I mean if they did a 1-year rolling ranking I think a lot more people would agree with the #1 player at the time they get their ranking

a good example would be when VJ took tiger off the #1 ranking, sure he was #1 in the world but I don't think anyone ever doubted who the best player was even if the ranking did not say that...

You're exactly right, there. The formula seems to be the issue, in these specific cases, as I agree that the OWGR #1 should be viewed by most as who is the best player out there, and it just doesn't formulate the right person, in those instances.

Could be wrong, but with neither JT or DJ teeing it up at the Byron Nelson this week I decided to calculate the OWGR rankings for both for next week.

With the 2016 Players falling off the divisor for the OWGR, DJ should actually reclaim the top spot on Monday.

Could be wrong, but with neither JT or DJ teeing it up at the Byron Nelson this week I decided to calculate the OWGR rankings for both for next week.

With the 2016 Players falling off the divisor for the OWGR, DJ should actually reclaim the top spot on Monday.

face palm .....WGR is = to AP polls...

You mean on Monday Alabama will be #1 in the OWGR?

Roll Tide!

@ Bladehunter

It's not that you have an objection to JT's #1 world ranking that make you look like an a**, it's the fact that you are making your posts so personal about the guy. I'm pretty sure none of us know the guy, so to insult the guy like that seems a little overboard. From what I have seen, he seems like Phil in some ways (when he was FIGJAM): he's overly cocky, makes questionable fashion choices, plays fearless and fires at pins, takes the time to sign a bunch of autographs and engages with fans. So I find it odd to love Phil and hate JT. 20 years ago, was Phil that different from JT?

Lol. Phil never triggered my face punching reflex.

Seriously though. Until delving into it deeper most of my first posts had to do with his not playing well once he could reach #1. And his choke vs Phil. Not an epic choke mind you. But just watch the replay and his face and body expressions. He is in fight of flight mode. And he chose flight. These aren’t personal jabs. They are pretty well documented happenings.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I like the the good old money list.

To me, last season is last season.

And compared to the OWGR, you get a clearer picture, most guys have played 13 or so event or more, of who is playing the best.

JT leads that too ; )

thomas_600_flexing.jpg

Is that pic doctored ? His finger outline is on the upper corner of the jersey shoulders. Lol. Like something is holding the shoulders up.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

hard to like him. wish i didnt feel this way as hes a heck of a player and does some amazing things for his size/build. I just cant stop thinking hes a walking contradiction. Dressing old school but acting like an entitled millenial, complains non stop when things arent going perfectly well for him and just overall a negative body language in my opinion.

Yea. I take exception to him being called old school too. He’s as millennial as they come.

Man. Why do I keep reading this. I feel the dark side pulling me in ........ Tigerrrrrrr!!!

Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This is funny

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/justin-thomas-hair-loss-joke-northern-trust-open-bud-cauley-funny-note-snapchat

Least he can have a laugh at himself.

When I first saw JT, coudn't stand him, he was acting like a *itch at some tournament. But I think he has improved and I didn't mind him tossing the fan.

But after this

Had to be a fan

This is funny

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/justin-thomas-hair-loss-joke-northern-trust-open-bud-cauley-funny-note-snapchat

Least he can have a laugh at himself.

When I first saw JT, coudn't stand him, he was acting like a *itch at some tournament. But I think he has improved and I didn't mind him tossing the fan.

But after this

Had to be a fan

Yep that was an awesome shot. He and reed should have swapped pants . Would be one epic pink outfit there !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yea. I take exception to him being called old school too. He's as millennial as they come.

Man. Why do I keep reading this. I feel the dark side pulling me in ........ Tigerrrrrrr!!!

Lol.

JT is a huge TW fan, think they are friends

http://www.sportingn...lm1h71kz4ezqe1s

"I think that Tiger's probably going to be a little bit more … a little harder to get stuff out of than when he was hurt and I was asking him questions," the world No. 2 said at his pre-tournament media conference.

"He's kind of made hints at that, but at a place like this, I'm going to choose learning experience over my normal people I play practice rounds with.

"I don't care what they say to me, how much grief they're going to give me, if I could, if it would have worked out, I would have played with [Woods] all three days. It just didn't work out this morning, and I'm not sure what we're doing [on Wednesday].

"Tiger has always been my favorite growing up. I was I guess you could say getting serious into golf at 8, 9, 10 years old, when he was in his heyday, when he was winning about every other tournament he played in," said Thomas, 24.

"So for any kid, that's pretty fun to watch. You want to be like him. His Masters moments here are pretty endless, so can you kind of pick and choose one, but the chip in is definitely the one that I would say that sits with everybody."

Thomas does not think he could have competed with Woods at his best, and said it would be a dream come true if they were both in contention going into the final round this year.

"Anybody that played against him says that you don't want that," Thomas said. "So I don't know, I can't win. If I say I want to play against him, I can't beat him; and then if I say that I don't want to play against him, they say that I'm backing down from a challenge. So I don't really know what to say.

"I know he wants to make another run at us young guns. Some older guys have been winning lately, so I guess we need to try to get our little streak back.

"But, no, it's great for golf, it's great for him. I'm happy for him. I cherish the opportunity to potentially be going down the stretch with him to win a golf tournament or potentially a major, so who knows.

"All I've done is watch it and enjoyed it. Maybe I wouldn't enjoy it so much if I was on the other end, but I guess we'll never know, or maybe I will."

Meantime, caption?

jt-tiger.jpg

"In one week, TW?"

"In one night, bro"

"Jeez"

; )

What if i blew your mind and told you i love all 4? I think youre confusing the golfer and the person. thats what ruins things for most people on here is the emotional attachment. I like/love so many golfers that im spoiled almost every other week. Sure ill root for one over the other depending on the circumstances like the WGC mexico. If it was 2014 I wouldnt mind if Phil lost but it was 2018 and he hadnt won in near 5 years so of course i was rooting for him. I can see how Thomas has very easily hatable traits and believe me he dropped plenty of notches after throwing that guy out at the honda like he was a tough guy. Could have walked up to a security guy or a rules official and whispered take care of that guy please and kept strolling up the fairway but wanted to play the bouncer role. in the end it was his call to do it that way. Wont affect how i perceive him as a golfer though. Same goes for tiger. I really like this version of him because hes a little warmer to fans and people hes paired with. I only wished he did more of that in his prime. Again though doesnt affect my view of him as a golfer. I know its tough but its alot easier to enjoy the game.