Scotty Cameron Newport -- Tiger Woods 1997 Putter

jucornett1

Here is an article that mentions the tiger woods putter from the website: sports collectors daily that is mostly about a baseball bat I also own and was about to photo match, but a pretty cool read regardless if your bored... and a video of an interview talking about the bat. Bottom line, super rare and special items can be worth a lot!!

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/collector-matches-ty-cobb-bat-to-iconic-1913-photograph/

http://m.cleveland19.com/clip/14534011/iconic-sports-memorabilia

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an awesome story. That's one you can pass down to the children or grandchildren, or get buried in the the ground with it... That would be my choice...

You must be in a pretty decent position in life. Myself along with many more would choose to flip it, possibly to Scotty, so i can clear my mortgage and live better. Bury yourself with it? that would be very selfish and prevent the world seeing a classic putter for 100s of years to come.

Game it! :pimp:

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Game it! :pimp:

Oooo there is NO way I would not be at least not putting with it on the pratice green, just so I could say I did. Of course just let everyone think its just a rusted out standard model =)

I agree amazing story and gratz. I would of leased it to Scotty for a custom 009 Materful but not sure i would ever get rid of it, probably pass it down.

I've been following this thread for a while and it's a great read! I think the only reason to hold onto it is the chance it might increase even more in value somewhere down the line. What if he was to win a other major? A couple more? Would that increase the value? It's gotta be a lot more valuable now that he is playing again (and playing well.) Just thinking out loud on this one.

I'm most upset with Rob from Sydney. He was the go to guy. Say it ain't so ��

Ha ha - sorry to disappoint. I have been too busy to get on here lately and when I had a quick look at the first shot I thought it had elastomer around the insert.

However, I hasten to add that there are MANY people who know MUCH more than I do about putters and any other golf equipment! :-)

Rob

Here is an article that mentions the tiger woods putter from the website: sports collectors daily that is mostly about a baseball bat I also own and was about to photo match, but a pretty cool read regardless if your bored... and a video of an interview talking about the bat. Bottom line, super rare and special items can be worth a lot!!

https://www.sportsco...913-photograph/

http://m.cleveland19...rts-memorabilia

So........you're giving the Cobb bat to the hall of fame to display but you didn't want to allow Scotty to display the putter?? What about the World Golf Hall of Fame in Florida?

"Bottom line, super rare and special items can be worth a lot!!"

Or so you hope, now that you are auctioning off the putter.

Hmmmm......

So........you're giving the Cobb bat to the hall of fame to display but you didn't want to allow Scotty to display the putter?? What about the World Golf Hall of Fame in Florida?

Hmmmm......

In a thread full of people saying stupid, misguided things to what-sounds-like a really nice guy, who is simply asking about and sharing the story of a really cool putter, you have just raised the bar.

Hmmmm......

Thats the interesting thing about life.... its his items and he can do what he wants with them.

Edit: Personally I would let Scotty display as noted prior in exchange for an 009 Masterful. I would probably keep it long term too.

Hmmmm......

In a thread full of people saying stupid, misguided things to what-sounds-like a really nice guy, who is simply asking about and sharing the story of a really cool putter, you have just raised the bar.

LOL.

Sucker born every minute. You just proved that theory. ;)

Yep, real nice guy. Like he laid into Rory on page 1?

The OP (Justin Cornett) is a sports memorabilia collector. Taking chances on buying things is what memorabilia collectors do. Nothing wrong with that, it's fun. I'm sure he ran across WRX during his research on the putter and came here looking for answers, or came here to advertise his putter for his upcoming auction, either way it made for a good story. Thing is, the auction already had a letter (LOA) from Andre Reed describing the putter, what is was, and how he acquired it (from Tiger himself). Are we saying that Andre Reed is a liar and not to be believed? I certainly wouldn't say that. He would have a lot to lose if his story wasn't accurate.

Sending it in to Cameron for a COA was a no brainer. Glad it cleared Andre Reed. ;)

Hmmmm......

Thats the interesting thing about life.... its his items and he can do what he wants with them.

Edit: Personally I would let Scotty display as noted prior in exchange for an 009 Masterful. I would probably keep it long term too.

Never said he couldn't do what he wanted with the putter. I just found it interesting that he willingly gave up the bat to be displayed but not the putter.

It would have been interesting to see what Scotty would have been willing to give for it. Now THAT would have been a cool story, instead of just flipping it. ;)

I would keep that bat too!!! Along with the putter.... but it appears (to me) the seller makes a living in some fashion on sports memorabilia. So I can see the reasoning as it appears he was always going to flip it. Depends on if a hobby to collect or house hold income.

I have a bunch of baseball items from players because a ex family member is one of the top trainers in MLB.... not selling anything as it cost me nothing and not my source of income. Funny thing I like baseball.... but not like I like baseball. Wish he was in golf LOL

I’ll be honest ... this whole thread smells like the OP just wanted to drum up awareness for this putter before being put up for auction. This guy is obviously a pro a collecting memorabilia and knows how this works. Good for him - I’m proud of his success. I seriously wish I could have that kind of money to collect this stuff.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Whats crazy and what most people don't know is Bettinardi actually had that putter made.

All TeI3 putters without the elastomer ring around the insert were made by Bettinardi.

It is refreshing to see some of my old ex TCC friends who actually know the truth, like I do, behind some of the Cameron Golden Years.

OP congrats but something seems off about this whole thread.

Care to elaborate?

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I just read thru some of these posts after not looking for a while. Ole “bogeypro” was a doubter from the very beginning of this thread and still is ... whatever bro. Do u really think that if I can spend 200k on a bat that is now worth well into 7 figures that I would come on golf wrx board and pimp the value of my putter to make an extra few thousand on the sale of a putter? Seriously? Give me a break.

When I posted those pics, I had no intention to sell the putter. I genuinely wanted help with identifying the putter. After I saw the back up putter sell for so much, i did consider it, but after I talked to green jacket, he made it sound like the putter could really sell for a lot of money. Given I only invested under 2k in the putter, I’ll gladly take a big profit, but I will be just as happy to display the putter on my wall in my study.. selling this item isnt going to change my life... any thoughts otherwise are completely misguided and false.

I hope it sells for a lot, but if it doesn’t sell, I’ll keep it. I bought it for 2k and I’m happy to own a tiger used putter for that price all day long.

And no... sports memorabilia is not something I do to make a living... I own an oil brokerage company and do just fine... this sort of thing is just fun for me. Do I at times make money on items I invest in? Yes ... are there times when I just buy things I like? Yes...

I think 90% of the fun of this whole deal was trying to figure out what the putter was, when it was used and by whom for sure. If I make money along the way, great... if not, no big deal. At least I have a really cool putter that is unique and special!

That’s why I came on this board in the first place... to figure out “the story” which I did ... thanks to all those that have helped, I genuinely appreciate it.

Hey Justin, I wish you well on the auction and I congratulate you on the purchase. But after reading your posts here, it DID seem like you were here to pimp your putter and that you knew you were going to sell it.

Nothing wrong with that, it still made for a good story.

Good luck.

Hey Justin, I wish you well on the auction and I congratulate you on the purchase. But after reading your posts here, it DID seem like you were here to pimp your putter and that you knew you were going to sell it.

Nothing wrong with that, it still made for a good story.

Good luck.

Pimpin' puttaz

I would love to game that putter! Heck, I'd love to just hit a putt with it and imagine I was putting to win the Green Jacket! However, I've bent the shaft on a putter before like the shaft on this one is (I slammed it down on my golf bag after missing a short putt while playing my high school state golf tournament many years ago). A few holes later the shaft completely snapped while I was putting and I had to finish the remaining holes putting with my lob wedge. So if you do end up playing/practicing with this putter be VERY careful!! I wonder how Tiger managed to put that dent in this Scotty? Lol.

I just read thru some of these posts after not looking for a while. Ole “bogeypro” was a doubter from the very beginning of this thread and still is ... whatever bro. Do u really think that if I can spend 200k on a bat that is now worth well into 7 figures that I would come on golf wrx board and pimp the value of my putter to make an extra few thousand on the sale of a putter? Seriously? Give me a break.

When I posted those pics, I had no intention to sell the putter. I genuinely wanted help with identifying the putter. After I saw the back up putter sell for so much, i did consider it, but after I talked to green jacket, he made it sound like the putter could really sell for a lot of money. Given I only invested under 2k in the putter, I’ll gladly take a big profit, but I will be just as happy to display the putter on my wall in my study.. selling this item isnt going to change my life... any thoughts otherwise are completely misguided and false.

I hope it sells for a lot, but if it doesn’t sell, I’ll keep it. I bought it for 2k and I’m happy to own a tiger used putter for that price all day long.

The way Tiger is playing again. You may want to hold onto the putter a few more years, because it’s going to appreciate even more.