B. Lincicome to get exemption into PGA Tour event

That's it ? Play better ?

If YOU were a member of an organization and someone NOT in the organization was invited in and took your spot and your opportunity to earn badly needed ca$h, I suggest you would probably be a bit,,,,,,,,,, "miffed",,,,,,,,,,

I know I would be.

So in your opinion, sponsor invites should be eliminated all together ?

Because by definition , a sponsor invite is for someone "NOT in the organization". It doesn't matter whether it is John Daly, Steph Curry or Brittany Lincicome.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If YOU were a member of an organization and someone NOT in the organization was invited in and took your spot and your opportunity to earn badly needed ca$h, I suggest you would probably be a bit,,,,,,,,,, "miffed",,,,,,,,,,

I know I would be.

Because by definition , a sponsor invite is for someone "NOT in the organization". It doesn't matter whether it is John Daly, Steph Curry or Brittany Lincicome.

A PGA Tour event is for MALE PGA Tour players.

An LPGA Tour event is for FEMALE LPGA Tour players.

I'm not totally familiar with who or how the sponsor invites players but if they're not members of the PGA/LPGA then yes, sponsor invites shouldn't be permitted.

Just my opinion.

And I expect if YOU were the last player in the field and YOU got bumped you wouldn't like it either.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I know I would be.

I'm not totally familiar with who or how the sponsor invites players but if they're not members of the PGA/LPGA then yes, sponsor invites shouldn't be permitted.

Just my opinion.

And I expect if YOU were the last player in the field and YOU got bumped you wouldn't like it either.

Because there is no specific rule to say she can't.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

I was at the event on Thursday. Brittany had the biggest gallery, and all it took was a minute to understand why her being there was good for golf. Little girls and young women golfers look up to her. The fact that she was playing, regardless of her finish, is commendable and something to be proud of.

She was +5 for the tournament and +5 on the par 3s in Round 1 and +2 on the par 3s in Round 2. Obviously this is where the women have the biggest challenge against he men. They are hitting significantly longer clubs into greens that are designed to accept higher shots, and they are often far more penal around the green than the par 4s and 5s.

She had 5 birdies and an eagle in Round 2.

Does she need to be playing with the men every week? Of course not. But how anybody can be critical of her getting a sponsor’s exemption to an opposite field event is beyond my comprehension. I can tell you the fans that were actually at the golf tournament were happy she was there.

Great analysis.

I find the most jumped out difference between playing the tips and the 'whites' is mostly the Par 3s.

All LH :

I know I would be.

Just my opinion.

Because there is no specific rule to say she can't.

Thanks but nobody said there was.

Titleist Pro V1X

It's not my spot - it's the sponsors and they're the ones who foot the bill so that I can get paid if I play well enough to both qualify and place.

Easy to say but I bet you'd have a slightly different opinion if it was you that got bumped,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :wave:

I don't think so. I espouse policies that are against my self-interest frequently as I think it's the right institutional thing to do.

How about this: if we follow your suggestion, there's a reasonable risk that there are [two] less tournaments and/or [10%] less money for all purses as sponsors (rightfully) see that their ability to promote their brand by sponsoring a tournament is impeded by not being able to maximize their exposure. How do pros think about that?

Indeed. Her 2nd round play was promising. I know I risk getting chased by a mob for saying this but I hope they invite her again.

Also would like to paraphrase some of what Brittany herself had to say about her reasons. She described having to play with and against boys during high school because her school had no girls' team, faced a bunch of nasty reactions from her boy opponents for doing so, but the experience helped make her who she is today--a successful pro, on and off the course, and now she wants to encourage and inspire other young girls who might be in similar tough situations.

So, now do you feel bad about all the complaining? Good, you should. Dicks.

https://www.theplaye...e-lpga-pga-golf

Are you going to respond to the Paige spiranac question?

Honestly I don't have enough ****s to give you a sincere answer to that. If forced to answer at gun point, fine, my answer would be no, I don't have a problem with the Dubai Ladies Masters inviting Paige Spiranac into the field.

I'm already regretting typing out this question but what exactly is the larger point you are trying to make here?

Didn't Jordan Spieth play in several tournaments as an amateur on sponsors invites? I know he played at the 2010 Byron Nelson as a 16 year old high school junior on an exemption. I guess that was wrong, too. He was clearly taking away a spot from the 187th ranked PGA pro. The John Deere Classic regularly invites amateurs to its event.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Why is this still a thing? Barbasol/Pure Silk got what they wanted. Eyes and marketing. It's their exemption and it wasn't "owed" to anyone. They could have not given it to anyone and let it go unused.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Why is this still a thing? Barbasol/Pure Silk got what they wanted. Eyes and marketing. It's their exemption and it wasn't "owed" to anyone. They could have not given it to anyone and let it go unused.

Unused? I would have taken it. Heck, I would have shaved my legs with wonderful Pure Silk products on the 18th green for a chance to play.

On second thought, that might have scared away any and all fans who were unlucky enough to be in the grandstands.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Unused? I would have taken it. Heck, I would have shaved my legs with wonderful Pure Silk products on the 18th green for a chance to play.

On second thought, that might have scared away any and all fans who were unlucky enough to be in the grandstands.

I'm just going to leave that one on the ground and slowly back away... :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Indeed. Her 2nd round play was promising. I know I risk getting chased by a mob for saying this but I hope they invite her again.

Also would like to paraphrase some of what Brittany herself had to say about her reasons. She described having to play with and against boys during high school because her school had no girls' team, faced a bunch of nasty reactions from her boy opponents for doing so, but the experience helped make her who she is today--a successful pro, on and off the course, and now she wants to encourage and inspire other young girls who might be in similar tough situations.

Honestly I don't have enough ****s to give you a sincere answer to that. If forced to answer at gun point, fine, my answer would be no, I don't have a problem with the Dubai Ladies Masters inviting Paige Spiranac into the field.

I'm already regretting typing out this question but what exactly is the larger point you are trying to make here?

My only issue is not seeing one single shot Paige hit...nor Brittany but at east she was mentioned and interviewed despite the main entree was obviously The Open last week.

All LH :

Just my opinion.

This isnt opinion, its factually wrong.

The PGA says nothing in their bylaws or rules about being for men. Nowhere. At all.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Just my opinion.

The PGA says nothing in their bylaws or rules about being for men. Nowhere. At all.

This is correct. PGA Tour events are to some extent limited "open" events in that anyone can try and Monday qualify for them - amateurs, pros, men or women.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Given that Brittany was the 6th female player to play in a PGA event, I'd say that this point was settled ages ago.

Given that Brittany was the 6th female player to play in a PGA event, I'd say that this point was settled ages ago.

This was in response to someone saying the PGA is for MALE PGA tour players - caps were theirs.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I'm wholehearted with you on both Britany and Paige but wasn't sure if you were consistent intellectually vs. being an LPGA booster (i.e., it's good for an LPGA player to play on a PGA tour sponsor exemption but bad for an LPGA/LET sponsor spot to go to Paige Spiranac.) Sounds like we're on the same page.

I'm wholehearted with you on both Britany and Paige but wasn't sure if you were consistent intellectually vs. being an LPGA booster (i.e., it's good for an LPGA player to play on a PGA tour sponsor exemption but bad for an LPGA/LET sponsor spot to go to Paige Spiranac.) Sounds like we're on the same page.

When I post about my pro golf fandom, I am neither consistent nor intellectual. I didn't have a problem with the Paige thing, but that's mainly because it was an LET event. If Paige got invited to an LPGA tournament, I would probably not be so gracious about it. IMO, the Brittany invite and the Paige invite are worlds apart. Brittany is an elite and accomplished professional tournament golfer who's been at it for over a decade.

Just my opinion.

Talk about "factually wrong".

My post consisted entirely of my OPINIONS.

Titleist Pro V1X

When I post about my pro golf fandom, I am neither consistent nor intellectual. I didn't have a problem with the Paige thing, but that's mainly because it was an LET event. If Paige got invited to an LPGA tournament, I would probably not be so gracious about it. IMO, the Brittany invite and the Paige invite are worlds apart. Brittany is an elite and accomplished professional tournament golfer who's been at it for over a decade.

Then we do have a conflict in opinion: you just want to advocate for LPGA irrespective of logical consistency. Sounds like you'd take nsxguy's perspective if we switched PGA/Brittany to LPGA/Paige.

IMO, neither Brittany nor Paige deserved the invite on a merit basis although I'd posit that Paige is closer to deserving an LPGA invite on merit than Brittany is on the PGA. The reason IMO that both invitations are welcome is that the sponsor has paid for the right to add whomever they choose as best for their brand. In any event, merit has nothing to with who they invite and neither was anywhere close to being included on merit and I thought that was your point.

Here's my 2 cents on the Paige vs Brittany thing. Brittany is a top tier LPGA pro with the skill set to play an PGA event, she had some bad holes which hurt her, but honestly she puts up crooked numbers on the LPGA on some holes. Like was mentioned by poster who where at the event, it was inspirational to young girls and women, so regardless of the result it was a net positive for the game of golf IMO. Again outside a few bad holes she didn't really seem out of place

Paige on the other hand may be a better player than 99% of women who play golf but the other 1% is so much better than her and they occupy the pro ranks. Paige doesn't even have the skill set to make the Symetra tour. I would personally take offense (maybe too strong of a word) if Paige got an sponsors exemption to an LPGA event, Unless it was where she played college golf or in her home state (they do this often for players lesser or equal than Paige). My biggest gripe for Paige getting an exemption to most LPGA events would be that the sponsor is basically saying Blonde hair, blue eyes a short skirt and a big rack are equal to skilled play and talent. That message IMO wouldn't be good for golf and particularly women's golf.

I have no issue giving Paige an exemption to the LET or Symetra tour cause they are both feeder tours, but at the end of the day I accept sponsor exemptions and if Paige got an exemption to a LPGA it won't change my life, it will just allow me to be like millions of other people and find something that ticks me off and go on the internet and complain about it lol.

I think a new way of doing something like this if an LPGA pro is interested is playing a Web.com tour event. It would really be good for the Web.com but I'm not sure that the average Web.com event is any weaker than the Field at the Babersol lol.

Here's my 2 cents on the Paige vs Brittany thing. Brittany is a top tier LPGA pro with the skill set to play an PGA event, she had some bad holes which hurt her, but honestly she puts up crooked numbers on the LPGA on some holes. Like was mentioned by poster who where at the event, it was inspirational to young girls and women, so regardless of the result it was a net positive for the game of golf IMO. Again outside a few bad holes she didn't really seem out of place

Paige on the other hand may be a better player than 99% of women who play golf but the other 1% is so much better than her and they occupy the pro ranks. Paige doesn't even have the skill set to make the Symetra tour. I would personally take offense (maybe too strong of a word) if Paige got an sponsors exemption to an LPGA event, Unless it was where she played college golf or in her home state (they do this often for players lesser or equal than Paige). My biggest gripe for Paige getting an exemption to most LPGA events would be that the sponsor is basically saying Blonde hair, blue eyes a short skirt and a big rack are equal to skilled play and talent. That message IMO wouldn't be good for golf and particularly women's golf.

I have no issue giving Paige an exemption to the LET or Symetra tour cause they are both feeder tours, but at the end of the day I accept sponsor exemptions and if Paige got an exemption to a LPGA it won't change my life, it will just allow me to be like millions of other people and find something that ticks me off and go on the internet and complain about it lol.

I think a new way of doing something like this if an LPGA pro is interested is playing a Web.com tour event. It would really be good for the Web.com but I'm not sure that the average Web.com event is any weaker than the Field at the Babersol. lol

100% disagree.

On the PGA, one could say that lack of a Y chromosomes is equal to skilled play and talent: Brittany is nowhere near the level required to make the web.com tour, let alone the PGA - nowhere (so by saying that PS can't make symetra is way off base)

Again, I'm for both and that's what sponsor exemptions are for: I oppose nsxguy thinking that an exemption for an underqualified LPGA star is un-warranted, and I oppose you for thinking the same for LPGA and a minor tour player/Instagram star. Furthermore, having Spiranac would have (and in the case of the Omega, did have) a far greater impact on ratings and attendance than Lincicome did for Barbasol. Quite frankly, the LPGA is going to have a revenue problem at some point if they continue their terrible ratings. IMO, having more beautiful women can clearly offset that huge risk. I'm personally hopeful that Lily He makes the tour.

To bring it full circle, I'd say the same thing to anyone complaining about LPGA/PS as the original poster did in the post I responded to:

The whininess in this thread is pretty epic......Seems like people are forgetting that a) this is [a random LPGA tournament]......and not like, the Olympics and 2) golf tournaments regularly invite players who are marginally competitive (i.e. have no chance to win).