B. Lincicome to get exemption into PGA Tour event

I’m not a big fan of stunts in sports. I’m especially not a fan of stunts that set up women for failure and lead to more “Could Your Average Male First Time Golfer Beat Your Average LPGA Player?” threads on Golfwrx.

This plus another thought I had.

If a couple lpga or women players in general were to break into the Pga tour and make a living. Would that devalue the lpga ? As in at some point if enough women played Pga tour would the lpga explode ? I think yes. The women’s game needs to be careful with things like this. Some would find more $ possibly. But a whole bunch of them would be out of a job. Don’t want to cook the golden goose for dinner.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us have been around long enough to see this song & dance before with Annika and Michelle Wie. As others have said, I don't know if it really proves anything (unless the female golfer is in contention to win). When watching Annika and Michelle in their multiple attempts, it often left some fans with the notion that the best female golfer or the upcoming female sensation couldn't compete against the men and thus some fans had the feeling/opinion that the LPGA is an inferior competitive sports product which IMO isn't really fair.

It's fine...it's the sponsors decision and in my opinion, it's done for the primary reason of adding buzz/publicity to the tournament.

I agree with the above post although IMO in the end it hurts the LPGA. Why not give the spot to someone capable of winning, not just making the cut if she plays great. If there is a woman who could actually win I would be all for it, but so far I don't know of any.

Don't get me wrong, I like the LPGA (although the courses they play are too short) but they should stick to their own market for now.

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

• 3 weeks later...

Some of us have been around long enough to see this song & dance before with Annika and Michelle Wie. As others have said, I don't know if it really proves anything (unless the female golfer is in contention to win). When watching Annika and Michelle in their multiple attempts, it often left some fans with the notion that the best female golfer or the upcoming female sensation couldn't compete against the men and thus some fans had the feeling/opinion that the LPGA is an inferior competitive sports product which IMO isn't really fair.

It's fine...it's the sponsors decision and in my opinion, it's done for the primary reason of adding buzz/publicity to the tournament.

Exactly. Putting a woman in a men's event does not do nearly as much as they think. It changes the dynamic from "the women can really play" to "well they're not bad but how well could they do against men? Oh they have tried? ok."

The sponsor is getting attention, so I guess that is what matters to them. But it doesn't help the LPGA nearly as much as some would think.

Am I thinking of a different tournament, or is the one where it's played using Stableford scoring? That would be one type of event an LPGA player might have a chance, given how a birdie is worth more than a bogey hurts.

• 4 weeks later...

While seeing the LPGA on the PGA is "cool" it proves nothing really. I think the way the men and women play is a little bit different, where the men place a lot more value on distance and taking risk, while the women do not (as much). Like one other poster said above, seeing the very best women struggle against men like that does no good for the women's sport at all. The only time it might do good is if she makes the cut (some what unlikely) or places pretty high (extremely unlikely). There's a lot more harm than good IMO.

No ill will to anyone involved but I'm bored of these novelty sponsor's invites.

I suspect there is no danger of the reverse situation (male invite into an LPGA event) ever happening anytime soon.

Maybe they should give a sponsor's exemption to a middle-aged scratch golfer (typical WRXer who hits it 300) and settle the debate once and for all.

I'm busy this weekend.

And am also well past middle aged.

Not even close to a scratch golfer.

Don't come close to 3 spins.

But I play a KSig and COULD stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Great to see today’s result.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Yikes...DFL? Average driving distance 264?

She only averages 269 on the LPGA Tour. This shouldnt come as a shock.

I said back in June anything above the bottom five placings would be a fantastic two days for her. To be fair, if she had a better day with the putter, she probably would have scored 2 or 3 shots better, as she missed a couple of short putts and also 3-putted from 20 feet on one hole.

Hopefully the novelty of these types of sponsors exemptions wears off soon. Its hard enough to get into a PGA Tour event, and somebody who probably really could have used the chance to earn some FedEx points and money was left out.

Honestly though, +6 ain't bad, even if it's last place. When you look at the bottom of the leaderboards in LPGA tournaments there are a bunch of girls who are double digits over par after the first round.

This is the worst field on the PGA Tour this year, and its not even close. A ridiculous 11 on the SOF scale for OWGR points....basically a step or two above the average Web.com event.

Last place is bad.

Poor Frank Lickliter...

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Honestly though, +6 ain't bad, even if it's last place. When you look at the bottom of the leaderboards in LPGA tournaments there are a bunch of girls who are double digits over par after the first round.

This is the worst field on the PGA Tour this year, and its not even close. A ridiculous 11 on the SOF scale for OWGR points....basically a step or two above the average Web.com event.

Last place is bad.

I'm just saying, +6 is +6. Impressive that she can shoot that from the mens tees under that pressure while girls are shooting +10 or worse from the women's tees during routine LPGA tourneys.

It's a real no win situation for the LPGA

Too bad, Lexi held her own in the Shark Shootout if memory serves

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yikes...DFL? Average driving distance 264?

She only averages 269 on the LPGA Tour. This shouldnt come as a shock.

I said back in June anything above the bottom five placings would be a fantastic two days for her. To be fair, if she had a better day with the putter, she probably would have scored 2 or 3 shots better, as she missed a couple of short putts and also 3-putted from 20 feet on one hole.

Hopefully the novelty of these types of sponsors exemptions wears off soon. Its hard enough to get into a PGA Tour event, and somebody who probably really could have used the chance to earn some FedEx points and money was left out.

Looking at the stats she was weakest in approach shots giving up 4 shots to the field there alone.

Going to hope that this was nerves related and she plays better tomorrow. Obviously she won't make the cut but can hopefully improve her play.

I'm just saying, +6 is +6. Impressive that she can shoot that from the mens tees under that pressure while girls are shooting +10 or worse from the women's tees during routine LPGA tourneys.

Im not doubting Brittany's talent. But you have to understand that the depth of the back-end talent of the PGA Tour is infinitely more talented than the talent on the back-end of an LPGA event.

Hopefully she doesnt finish last. And it looks like Steven Bowditch will do his part to aid in that cause. But I do sincerely hope these types of sponsors invites are done. They serve no purpose, they put both the player and the tournament in a no-win situation, and it takes a spot away from a PGA Tour pro who probably NEEDS the start at the time of year where guys are scrambling to earn playing status for next season.

If they want to keep the status quo for these types of opposite field events like this one and the Puerto Rico one where Tony Romo got an invite, then make it a Web.com event that is open to PGA Tour pros who want to play, and take it off the official PGA Tour points and money schedule. But if the PGA Tour is gonna sanction this event and make official points and money available, then the tournament must be treated as such with regards to who is playing.

Im not doubting Brittany's talent. But you have to understand that the depth of the back-end talent of the PGA Tour is infinitely more talented than the talent on the back-end of an LPGA event.

Hopefully she doesnt finish last. And it looks like Steven Bowditch will do his part to aid in that cause. But I do sincerely hope these types of sponsors invites are done. They serve no purpose, they put both the player and the tournament in a no-win situation, and it takes a spot away from a PGA Tour pro who probably NEEDS the start at the time of year where guys are scrambling to earn playing status for next season.

If they want to keep the status quo for these types of opposite field events like this one and the Puerto Rico one where Tony Romo got an invite, then make it a Web.com event that is open to PGA Tour pros who want to play, and take it off the official PGA Tour points and money schedule. But if the PGA Tour is gonna sanction this event and make official points and money available, then the tournament must be treated as such with regards to who is playing.

i understand all your points and frankly agree with all of them except the bolded. She's not taking a spot away from a PGA Tour Pro who needs the starts because If you're an alternate for THIS event, then you just don't belong on Tour right now with how weak the field is. Even the John Deere looks like a major compared to this one. Have a look at some of the names who got in the field before whatever pros you're referring to:

Frank Lickliter

Chris Couch

Jonathan Kaye

Brett Wetterich

Daniel Chopra

Ted Purdy

Guy Boros

Len Mattiace

Skip Kendall

Dudley Hart

Chris Smith

Greg Kraft

John Huston

Peter Lonard

Neil Lancaster

Olin Browne

Michael Bradley

Sean Micheel

Jay Don Blake

Marc Turnesa

Those guys haven't had "real" status in over a decade

I would take most Junior Boy's from this field over her if she was playing in this. These kids are better than her. She has no business in that field.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--junior-amateur.html#!scoring

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Have a look at some of the names who got in the field before whatever pros you're referring to:

Frank Lickliter

Chris Couch

Jonathan Kaye

Brett Wetterich

Daniel Chopra

Ted Purdy

Guy Boros

Len Mattiace

Skip Kendall

Dudley Hart

Chris Smith

Greg Kraft

John Huston

Peter Lonard

Neil Lancaster

Olin Browne

Michael Bradley

Sean Micheel

Jay Don Blake

Marc Turnesa

Those guys haven't had "real" status in over a decade

Eesh. That is the most ketchup-stained beigeist list of golfers I have ever seen.

This must be the lowest OWGR points/strength of field tournament of the year... by a lot.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Barbasol is so desperate for coverage...no one will be watching this event.

The Brittany invite will get 100 more people to watch the event...and if 5 of those viewers buy a can of Barbasol....they just made an additional profit of $2.50....it all about capitalism. :taunt:

I'll be one of those 100 people...but will record it and just FF it to Bam Bam's shots.

I don't think Brittany has any expectations....Perio asked her and as a Pure Silk endorsed pro she said yes...and I really do believe Bam Bam likes playing with the boys when she's at home.

Not sure whether it's a bit OT but... I've heard of Brittany but what is Barbasol?

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

The Brittany invite will get 100 more people to watch the event...and if 5 of those viewers buy a can of Barbasol....they just made an additional profit of $2.50....it all about capitalism. :taunt:

I'll be one of those 100 people...but will record it and just FF it to Bam Bam's shots.

I don't think Brittany has any expectations....Perio asked her and as a Pure Silk endorsed pro she said yes...and I really do believe Bam Bam likes playing with the boys when she's at home.

what is Barbasol?

Shaving cream brand.

what is Barbasol?

Shaving cream brand.

Ya it's just Pure Silk, put into a manly can so guys won't know they are buying Pure Silk.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

+6 is actually not bad at all. Give Brittany some credit. She had to be nervous.

Also note - a long hitter (for the LPGA) had to lay her second shot up short of the water on a 461 yard par 4 - a hole most of the guys hit 3wood/7iron (or less) into. They don't play the same game. Silly to try and compare the two.

Really, just shows how vastly different the mens and womens games are. When was the last time you saw a 12-13 year old compete on the PGA tour (The masters 6 years ago?, but was never exactly in the thick of it), but younger and younger girls are qualifying for LPGA tournaments and thier majors. Distance isnt rewarded nearly as much on the LPGA as it is on the PGA. Lincicome averages 260ish-270 off the tee on the LPGA so she isnt exactly a short hitter and averages 40 yards on the average recreational male golfer.