Jimmy Walker admits to regularly breaking rule of golf on Twitter

deasy55

Hitemtrue--

so often this just isnt the case... youve got 2-3 guys missing a green and when one pitches up the next is in the trap ready to go... if he has to stand and wait for someone to walk across the green and then back out of the way its going to take time...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How likely are we to see a stopage of play. An explanation and then a mark ? 2-5 minutes at least yes ?

The player is already close enough to mark the ball without delaying play.

"Would you please mark your ball?"

"No problem."

No explanation needed. 20-30 seconds, tops.

So in Europe this week if you went that route then you’d only have 10 seconds to hit.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Hitemtrue--

so often this just isnt the case... youve got 2-3 guys missing a green and when one pitches up the next is in the trap ready to go... if he has to stand and wait for someone to walk across the green and then back out of the way its going to take time...

Except lots of time the next one to play is NOT ready to go. A lot of players wait until it is their turn to play to even start their pre-shot routine.

And if you have to go mark your ball for someone else to play, how hard is it to walk quickly/briskly to your ball and mark it. It doesn't take that much time.

How likely are we to see a stopage of play. An explanation and then a mark ? 2-5 minutes at least yes ?

The player is already close enough to mark the ball without delaying play.

"Would you please mark your ball?"

"No problem."

No explanation needed. 20-30 seconds, tops.

So in Europe this week if you went that route then you’d only have 10 seconds to hit.

Don't know that it worked that way. Would be shocked if the clock didn't start until the ball had been marked. But I'm not absolutely certain of that.

Pace of play is no argument, so just give that a rest. There is plenty of time to walk up and mark your ball while your partner is prepping to hit his shot. These aren't 150 yard approach shots we're talking about here, it's around the greens. So just stop.

Exactly. It is silly argument at best. Get your a** up there and mark your damn ball and don't lollygag around. Jeez, it ain't that hard.

Hitemtrue--

Except lots of time the next one to play is NOT ready to go. A lot of players wait until it is their turn to play to even start their pre-shot routine.

And if you have to go mark your ball for someone else to play, how hard is it to walk quickly/briskly to your ball and mark it. It doesn't take that much time.

around the green i just dont see it that way..guys play pretty quick around the green ....now ON the green they slow back down sometimes reading putts... But bunker and pitch play ...not alot of time between players most times... The shot clock would start after the 1st players turn if done same as tournament we just saw.. I guess we could have guys run to mark their balls and run back? maybe have commentary on whos the most fit and able to lower their breathing in time to actually hit the shot? lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Pace of play is no argument, so just give that a rest. There is plenty of time to walk up and mark your ball while your partner is prepping to hit his shot. These aren't 150 yard approach shots we're talking about here, it's around the greens. So just stop.

Exactly. It is silly argument at best. Get your a** up there and mark your damn ball and don't lollygag around. Jeez, it ain't that hard.

So you wait for everyone to mark their ball before you hit if all of your foursome has missed the green and your the last to hit?

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Versa 1W

There are no absolutes. There are definitely times that marking slows play.

So you wait for everyone to mark their ball before you hit if all of your foursome has missed the green and your the last to hit?

Well, it's rare that you have to wait for EVERYONE to mark their ball. Usually just one or two at the most. But we don't pussyfoot around about it either. Literally takes seconds. We're all in our 60's but we can still all walk briskly to our ball when we need to, lol.

There are no absolutes. There are definitely times that marking slows play.

If you made a list of things that slow down play in golf, marking a ball would be extremely close to the bottom of the list.

You do realize this debate is about marking balls that are close to the hole right? Not just anywhere on the green.

Wait a minute, is it really cheating as in breaking a rule of golf?

What is the is the exact rule?

22-1. Ball Assisting Play

Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may:

a.

Lift the ball if it is his ball; or

b.

Have any other ball lifted.

A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned, unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21).

In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

In stroke play, if the Committee determines that competitors have agreed not to lift a ball that might assist any competitor, they are disqualified.

Note: When another ball is in motion, a ball that might influence the movement of the ball in motion must not be lifted.

Like someone commented, what's the yardage cut off lol, when you hit from the fairway you don't go mark your ball on the green before the other hits, or on a par 3

REALLY STUPID on Walkers part to admit this. But where do you draw the line? 5 yard, 20,50,100?

If you are Phil you have your caddie tend the flag out to at least 100 :)

My caddie tends the flag from 285 in. He figures that's the safest place to stand.

LOL! And that includes behind you, huh DP? :)

Well Sir one time I took on a quick dogleg. A rare well struck shot that hit the tree at the dogleg and came zooming back toward the tee. Think it ended up about 150 yards behind us.

He learned a valuable lesson that day.

REALLY STUPID on Walkers part to admit this. But where do you draw the line? 5 yard, 20,50,100?

My caddie tends the flag from 285 in. He figures that's the safest place to stand.

Well Sir one time I took on a quick dogleg. A rare well struck shot that hit the tree at the dogleg and came zooming back toward the tee. Think it ended up about 150 yards behind us.

Ha! thats gold, Dave.

Shot tracker be like

Shot 1, -150 to clubhouse, 500 yards to hole ; )

true story.. i witnessed this one day.. My brother in law and his son ( very good players) took out my wifes 1st cousins Hubby for a round during christmas.... Hes a beginner and a really good guy .. Very aware if himself as far as his newness to the game. So we wanted to help him out ..and did.. But not until after he hit the funniest shot i ever saw.

1st Hole we tee off to the dogleg and then newbie is up.... There is a group behind us waiting for their time. He sets up to the ball and takes a mighty swat.... Ball leaves very low and hot.. Hits the concrete tee marker on the left side of the forward tee.. and comes back at him...He dodges it , it goes between the occupants of the cart behind us and through the fence on the tennis court which is 50-60yards behind the 1st tee.... Misses one of the ladies there and comes to rest by the water cooler.

All was silent... he looked at us as if hed just ruined the day .. And for some reason ..maybe instinct.. I just bursted out laughing .. right in his face.. I mean i almost rolled on the ground... As soon as i did everyone else did as well and the newbie smiled.... I patted his shoulder and told him that was the damnest shot i ever saw in person and that id be honored if that was my 1st memory on the course and he should be too!. We had a great rest of the day . !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You do realize this debate is about marking balls that are close to the hole right? Not just anywhere on the green.

Show me the cutoff distance in 22-1. A foot from the hole...two foot from the hole...three foot from the hole....

I understand totally. However, I hope everyone on this board understands that either by a) a lack of execution or b) own free will we have ALL broken this rule.

“Leave it there, it’s fine” and therefore a playing partner doing so are technically an agreement, and technically a breach of the rule as it’s written.

That’s the hardest part about intent based rules.

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Versa 1W

This is about pro golfers playing for millions, not a Sunday foursome playing for a couple a beers

true story.. i witnessed this one day.. My brother in law and his son ( very good players) took out my wifes 1st cousins Hubby for a round during christmas.... Hes a beginner and a really good guy .. Very aware if himself as far as his newness to the game. So we wanted to help him out ..and did.. But not until after he hit the funniest shot i ever saw.

1st Hole we tee off to the dogleg and then newbie is up.... There is a group behind us waiting for their time. He sets up to the ball and takes a mighty swat.... Ball leaves very low and hot.. Hits the concrete tee marker on the left side of the forward tee.. and comes back at him...He dodges it , it goes between the occupants of the cart behind us and through the fence on the tennis court which is 50-60yards behind the 1st tee.... Misses one of the ladies there and comes to rest by the water cooler.

All was silent... he looked at us as if hed just ruined the day .. And for some reason ..maybe instinct.. I just bursted out laughing .. right in his face.. I mean i almost rolled on the ground... As soon as i did everyone else did as well and the newbie smiled.... I patted his shoulder and told him that was the damnest shot i ever saw in person and that id be honored if that was my 1st memory on the course and he should be too!. We had a great rest of the day . !

Nice,

There was a local course in Ireland that has the misfortune (or stupidy) of having their clubhouse about 100 yards forward and not even 30 yards left of the first fairway.

I launched my obligatory first tee hook right into it, might have dissolved some poor fellows pint glass, before my ball ricocheted back into the fairway.

Best 100 yard drive I ever hit ; )

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/walker-responds-backstopping-twitter-storm/

Just watched Jimmy try to explain himself. Real lack of honesty in what he's saying here and lack of class. Main issue which he never speaks about is he said openly to Clayton if he like someone he marks it and if he doesn't like the player he won't mark the ball !!!!

Then openly discuss with fellow pros if they should mark the ball or not which is a no no.

Have a volunteer middle school or high school kid on every green who marks every ball that's inside 6 feet of the hole on approach shots or on the potential line of a pitch/chip.

We can't have balls potentially interfering with the outcome and we also don't want to slow down play.

These kids can mark a ball and get it to a caddy before the other player is even ready to hit.

It really takes no time to mark a ball in the vast majority of instances. If Walker is being truthful rather than trolling then I'd like to see him suspended and the Tour issue some unequivocal statement that this practice needs to stop, and will be scrutinised by the referees with each group.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The real lesson here is don't use Twitter. Public figures inevitably show their true colors by blabbering stupid stuff there.

Twitter really needs to just die in a fire.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

The real lesson here is don't use Twitter. Public figures inevitably show their true colors by blabbering stupid stuff there.

Twitter really needs to just die in a fire.

If we could send face book with them and whatever this insta chat thing is maybe we could get some things done on earth. My wife has a grown nephew with a girlfriend who’s dog has an Instagram account. And the dog posts every 5 minutes. Plus the girl does too. That’s two accounts she’s running 24/7. I don’t know why he keeps her. No way she has time for him to get a closeup if you know what I mean. Unless they are multi tasking. If so o don’t want to know !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock