Jimmy Walker admits to regularly breaking rule of golf on Twitter

deasy55

Did anybody post these yet?

https://ftw.usatoday...eo-golf-channel

Balls on the green should be marked when other people are chipping - Period.

What about pitching? How about 40 yards off? 100? Where does it stop? 185? Doesn't really protect the field that much unless every ball is marked on the green on all approaches.

This is obviously why it’s hard to legislate.

I realize you can’t write the rule this way, but I would say anything not “in regulation” should have everything marked on the green.

Yeah and slow things down even more... Just what the game needs.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the odds somebody at Shinnecock tells Walker he should mark his ball this week?

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Ive always been a big fan of Jimmy, but to come out and say this was beyond dumb. Its one thing to be ignorant and not know that its a rules infraction, but then to make it worse by saying he picks and chooses who he does and doesnt mark for, based on if he likes the player or not, I cant even wrap my head around it.

Jimmy looks like a d-bag. And his wife getting involved only makes it worse.

This thread going on seven pages should be a violation.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Ive always been a big fan of Jimmy, but to come out and say this was beyond dumb. Its one thing to be ignorant and not know that its a rules infraction, but then to make it worse by saying he picks and chooses who he does and doesnt mark for, based on if he likes the player or not, I cant even wrap my head around it.

I don't give him any credit for smarts, but he's honest. I guarantee that most of the guys pick and choose who they "help" this way. I think getting the whole deal in the open, in the words of a player instead of a golf writer, may actually push players to do things right. It'll be interesting to see if the USGA walking officials are instructed to monitor play this week, and require balls to be marked when they're in a position to help another player. I wouldn't expect the officials for regular PGA events to do that, the tour wouldn't want to embarrass themselves that way, but the USGA just might.

That’s the way it works. WD’s work the same way too. For example say I’m playing the US Open. I roll my ankle getting out of my courtesy Cadillac on Tuesday. I play and get treatment after, doesn’t feel great. Wednesday not much better. I check the alternates and see that my best friend Nick, is first alternate. Suddenly my ankle hurts a ton more, I’ll WD so my friend can get a start. However if it’s my rival, Joe, he can shove it. I’ll tee off on one then WD. Just so he doesn’t get a start. Rather extreme example but it happens.

Just saw his interview on this and think he mirrors what I said earlier. That he is just telling us how it is On tour. He said “ I’ll just say , do you want me to put a mark on that “? And he moves accordingly. I say the same if a person is pitching and ready to go. Purely to not jump in the way. Immelmann just said he did the same.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Jimmy looks like a d-bag. And his wife getting involved only makes it worse.

This thread going on seven pages should be a violation.

Only 7? I predict 20+

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Just saw his interview on this and think he mirrors what I said earlier. That he is just telling us how it is On tour. He said Ill just say , do you want me to put a mark on that ? And he moves accordingly. I say the same if a person is pitching and ready to go. Purely to not jump in the way. Immelmann just said he did the same.

I think that’s true at every level of competitive golf. I know I e done it, and will probably continue to do it.

Want a spot on that?

Nah I’m good.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/golf-rules-tony-finau-justin-thomas-usga-video-golf-channel

Do they paint a line around every green to dictate the “must mark” zone?

Not needed if you’re a smart person who can think for themselves. Pretty obvious if you’ve golfed more than once.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/golf-rules-tony-finau-justin-thomas-usga-video-golf-channel

Do they paint a line around every green to dictate the must mark zone?

Not needed if youre a smart person who can think for themselves. Pretty obvious if youve golfed more than once.

Lol what? Your response is as vague as the issue at hand. Your attempt at insult doesn’t bother me either btw.

I cant believe this counted... should have been DQed right away!!!!

[media=]

[/media]

Obviously should’ve been marked! A smart person that had golfed more than once would know that!

Alright I understand this is sarcasm, or at least I hope, but to clarify for anyone who might see this otherwise, shots like this aren't what people in this thread are complaining about.

What we're talking about is, if around the green you have time to mark before your partner chips, ESPECIALLY in instances where if they were to hit your ball it would benefit them, then you SHOULD mark to protect the field. Anywhere from 10 yards out is ridiculous to ask to mark.

I cant believe this counted... should have been DQed right away!!!!

[media=]

[/media]

Obviously should’ve been marked! A smart person that had golfed more than once would know that!

Alright I understand this is sarcasm, or at least I hope, but to clarify for anyone who might see this otherwise, shots like this aren't what people in this thread are complaining about.

What we're talking about is, if around the green you have time to mark before your partner chips, ESPECIALLY in instances where if they were to hit your ball it would benefit them, then you SHOULD mark to protect the field. Anywhere from 10 yards out is ridiculous to ask to mark.

source.gif

As to when to mark or not, it is quite simple, just imagine it’s matchplay. If I think my ball in matchplay is potentially going to help my opponent then I am marking it, if not I won’t, unless of course he asks me to.

Sure eggs are eggs if there is any chance at all of my ball hindering my opponent in matchplay or fellow competitor in strokeplay he is going to ask me to mark it - slowing play doesn’t seem to be any issue then.

My main question is where is the line to always mark balls on the green and where not to? Its not a solid line but a blur.

Both players in greenside bunkers or chipping from within 10-20' - Definitely mark

Approach shot from 150yrds out? Well if one guy is close a back stopping situation could arise but no one is going to mark when both players are out that far..... There is no clear line.

It has been mentioned more than once in this thread what the "line" is for when you should mark your ball. But a lot of people on here have seemed to miss it.

That’s the way it works. WD’s work the same way too. For example say I’m playing the US Open. I roll my ankle getting out of my courtesy Cadillac on Tuesday. I play and get treatment after, doesn’t feel great. Wednesday not much better. I check the alternates and see that my best friend Nick, is first alternate. Suddenly my ankle hurts a ton more, I’ll WD so my friend can get a start. However if it’s my rival, Joe, he can shove it. I’ll tee off on one then WD. Just so he doesn’t get a start. Rather extreme example but it happens.

But you are not breaking any rules there, you are just behaving like a db

Anybody know how the rule works if you say you're going to mark your ball and playing partner says "no leave it" and then you say, "No, I will mark" and then he hits before you get there or worse yet he hits as you're doing it and you have moved your ball while his is in motion? Thinking specifically for a match play situation.

Anybody know how the rule works if you say you're going to mark your ball and playing partner says "no leave it" and then you say, "No, I will mark" and then he hits before you get there or worse yet he hits as you're doing it and you have moved your ball while his is in motion? Thinking specifically for a match play situation.

No penalty on anybody.

Sorry - wait a second. Do you really mean your partner? or your opponent?

in stroke play it would be a DQ - see dec 3-4/1.

In match play, it would likely be a loss of hole penalty - if someone chooses to make a claim in a timely manner.

First of all, I think you mean fellow competitor, not partner - why wouldn't you want to help out your partner ;-)

But failure to comply with a rule is generally a DQ offense:

3-4/1

Competitor Not Given Opportunity to Lift Ball Assisting Fellow-Competitor

Q.In stroke play, A's ball lies near the hole in a position to assist B, whose ball lies off the putting green. A states his intention to lift his ball under Rule 22-1. B mistakenly believes that A does not have the right to lift his ball and plays before A has an opportunity to lift his ball. What is the ruling?

A.B is disqualified under Rule 3-4 as he intentionally denied A's right to lift his ball. It is irrelevant that B did so in ignorance of the Rules.

Thanks good to know....

First of all, I think you mean fellow competitor, not partner - why wouldn't you want to help out your partner ;-)

3-4/1

Q.In stroke play, A's ball lies near the hole in a position to assist B, whose ball lies off the putting green. A states his intention to lift his ball under Rule 22-1. B mistakenly believes that A does not have the right to lift his ball and plays before A has an opportunity to lift his ball. What is the ruling?

A.B is disqualified under Rule 3-4 as he intentionally denied A's right to lift his ball. It is irrelevant that B did so in ignorance of the Rules.

Thanks good to know....

Just realize - I edited my post, I missed your specific reference to match play. That decision is only for stroke play (there is no equivalent to rule 3-4 in match play).

3-4/1

Thanks good to know....

Just realize - I edited my post, I missed your specific reference to match play. That decision is only for stroke play (there is no equivalent to rule 3-4 in match play).

I'd suggest that Decision 2/3 would apply for Match Play, in that the player denied his opponent's right to lift his ball. Its not the same exact situation, but there's still an intentional denial of a player's right.

2/3

Refusal to Comply with Rule in Match Play

Q.In a match, A requests B to lift B's ball that is on A's line of play. B refuses to do so. What is the ruling?

A.In equity (Rule 1-4), B loses the hole for failing to comply with A's request to lift his ball under Rule 22-2.