Jimmy Walker admits to regularly breaking rule of golf on Twitter

deasy55

I'd suggest that Decision 2/3 would apply for Match Play, in that the player denied his opponent's right to lift his ball. Its not the same exact situation, but there's still an intentional denial of a player's right.

Agree if it was his opponent he was talking about. Although I would have thought it would be loss of hole due to the general match play penalty of rule 22. Wouldn't have though an equity decision would be needed.

If it really was his partner in match play, I'm not sure I'd recommend making a claim - although their opponents might decide to :-)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m still in my 30s so I by no means feel like an old timer. When I played in tournaments especially at the college level everyone that put something around the pin would mark it once you got to the point of greenside shots being played. It was just understood that’s what you did and you used common sense on when you were close enough to the green to run up and mark something. When did this no longer become the norm and when did it become so complicated that people felt it had to spelled out with specifics such as “if you’re X yards and in you should run up and mark it”? I feel like I noticed it on tv only fairly recently (last 2 years or so).

This must be important. Last night Mrs. Check who does not follow golf asks “Why is that golfer that has the same name as the famous guy from that old sitcom in trouble for breaking some rule?” It took me a while to to come up with the name Jimmy Walker to which she replied “Dynamite” without the over pronunciation. Funny thing was that after I explained the problem and rule she said it was unlikely someone could hit the ball on purpose and this whole issue sounded like nothing. LOL.

I'm still in my 30s so I by no means feel like an old timer. When I played in tournaments especially at the college level everyone that put something around the pin would mark it once you got to the point of greenside shots being played. It was just understood that's what you did and you used common sense on when you were close enough to the green to run up and mark something. When did this no longer become the norm and when did it become so complicated that people felt it had to spelled out with specifics such as "if you're X yards and in you should run up and mark it"? I feel like I noticed it on tv only fairly recently (last 2 years or so).

It no longer was the norm once people stopped using common sense. And it became complicated when people lost their integrity.

This must be important. Last night Mrs. Check who does not follow golf asks “Why is that golfer that has the same name as the famous guy from that old sitcom in trouble for breaking some rule?” It took me a while to to come up with the name Jimmy Walker to which she replied “Dynamite” without the over pronunciation. Funny thing was that after I explained the problem and rule she said it was unlikely someone could hit the ball on purpose and this whole issue sounded like nothing. LOL.

Neither you nor Mrs. Check get the real issue here.

Why do some automatically assume "back stopping" will result in something that provides advantage? An errant bounce could send it careening in an undesirable direction.

The rules don't really require a conclusion that the "backstopping ball" WILL result in an advantage, only that "a ball might assist any other player". I think in most of the specific instances we see on video, the "backstopping ball" ball is in a position to slow or stop a shot that's struck much too hard, so the worst result of the collision is neutral (compared to no collision), and the best result is MUCH closer, ala the Tony Finau bunker shot.

Why do some automatically assume "back stopping" will result in something that provides advantage? An errant bounce could send it careening in an undesirable direction.

The rules don't really require a conclusion that the "backstopping ball" WILL result in an advantage, only that "a ball might assist any other player". I think in most of the specific instances we see on video, the "backstopping ball" ball is in a position to slow or stop a shot that's struck much too hard, so the worst result of the collision is neutral (compared to no collision), and the best result is MUCH closer, ala the Tony Finau bunker shot.

I definitely see your point. However sometimes, especially with the general golfing public, it's not always convenient to mark before someone chips on. I'd be opposed to anything that adds time.

For instance, I'm 30 yards behind you on the opposite side of the fairway, so you can walk ahead to the greenside bunker to your ball. Once I hit, you should hit and not wait for me to walk up and Mark. It gets worse with the general public, aka Two Ton Tony and Joe Lardbutt that saunter around the course.

I'm still in my 30s so I by no means feel like an old timer. When I played in tournaments especially at the college level everyone that put something around the pin would mark it once you got to the point of greenside shots being played. It was just understood that's what you did and you used common sense on when you were close enough to the green to run up and mark something. When did this no longer become the norm and when did it become so complicated that people felt it had to spelled out with specifics such as "if you're X yards and in you should run up and mark it"? I feel like I noticed it on tv only fairly recently (last 2 years or so).

It no longer was the norm once people stopped using common sense. And it became complicated when people lost their integrity.

+1. This whole thing is common sense. Why anyone is against someone marking their ball to protect the field is beyond me.

I definitely see your point. However sometimes, especially with the general golfing public, it's not always convenient to mark before someone chips on. I'd be opposed to anything that adds time.

For instance, I'm 30 yards behind you on the opposite side of the fairway, so you can walk ahead to the greenside bunker to your ball. Once I hit, you should hit and not wait for me to walk up and Mark. It gets worse with the general public, aka Two Ton Tony and Joe Lardbutt that saunter around the course.

I agree completely, sometimes it doesn't make sense to wait, especially in everyday golf. But I've watched video of a guy standing for 15 or 20 seconds, 15 feet away from his ball (which is a foot from the hole) while his FC stalks his chip, reads if from 3 angles, and finally hits it. There's simply no excuse in that kind of situation.

+1. This whole thing is common sense. Why anyone is against someone marking their ball to protect the field is beyond me.

Yeah I’m at a loss as to why this is even a debate. It seems obvious that if you can mark without unduly delaying play you should. If you’re 60 yards away and your playing competitor is ready to go then maybe you don’t. When you look at today’s average player, they don’t seem to care about quick play when it comes to their long pre shot routines, constant checking of yardage and green books, and involving their caddies on every little decision. But all of the sudden when questioned about why they want to leave balls around the cup when others are playing greenside shots pace of play becomes an issue. I just don’t buy pace of play as being a valid excuse with these tour guys. They know what they are doing by leaving balls in close proximity to the cup. You’d have to be awfully naive to think otherwise.

Serious question. What happens if You step out In front of someone to mark your ball and you get hit by a pitch ? Penalty on you ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Anyone who thinks back stopping is ok is being obtuse or a cheat

Obtuse... Great word to describe your argument that The Masters isn't a major.

Ive never had an argument about the masters not being a major, i still haven't seen conclusive proof that it is, until then it will remain just a very good tournament

Ive never had an argument about the masters not being a major, i still haven't seen conclusive proof that it is, until then it will remain just a very good tournament

Gets TW two closer to Nicklaus. I see your angle.

Ive always been a big fan of Jimmy, but to come out and say this was beyond dumb. Its one thing to be ignorant and not know that its a rules infraction, but then to make it worse by saying he picks and chooses who he does and doesnt mark for, based on if he likes the player or not, I cant even wrap my head around it.

That’s the way it works. WD’s work the same way too. For example say I’m playing the US Open. I roll my ankle getting out of my courtesy Cadillac on Tuesday. I play and get treatment after, doesn’t feel great. Wednesday not much better. I check the alternates and see that my best friend Nick, is first alternate. Suddenly my ankle hurts a ton more, I’ll WD so my friend can get a start. However if it’s my rival, Joe, he can shove it. I’ll tee off on one then WD. Just so he doesn’t get a start. Rather extreme example but it happens.

But you are not breaking any rules there, you are just behaving like a db

True. But that gets looked down on way more than the practice of not marking. At least among guys I know and play with.

Timelines are everything as are rules. Jack keeps his 2 US amateurs because they were classed as majors at the time of playing, tiger would lose his 3 US Amateurs on two counts, 1 because someone decided to stop classifying them majors and 2 tiger cheated

Timelines are everything as are rules. Jack keeps his 2 US amateurs because they were classed as majors at the time of playing, tiger would lose his 3 US Amateurs on two counts, 1 because someone decided to stop classifying them majors and 2 tiger cheated

So, Tiger gets 10, and Nicklaus gets 16, minus one, of course, because he wasn't an amateur in 1961 after admittedly betting on a pro golf event he played in in 1960.

So, because the Masters isn't a major. And the US Am was a major for Nicklaus, but not for TW, we are at:

TW: 10

JN: 15

I see your angle.

If you could only invite one to dinner, which one would you choose?

A) Jimmy Walker

B) Jimmy Walker

I like that your picking up what i'm putting down, now as i said rules are everything (The Rules of Amateur Status do not apply to betting or gambling by amateur golfer

on the results of a competition limited to or specifically organised for professional golfers.) so Jack ends up with 16 to tigers 10

I like that your picking up what i'm putting down, now as i said rules are everything (The Rules of Amateur Status do not apply to betting or gambling by amateur golfer

on the results of a competition limited to or specifically organised for professional golfers.) so Jack ends up with 16 to tigers 10

That's awesome! I think it would be a very good idea for almost every amateur that qualifies for the US Open or any pro event to get some money and bet the s*** out of it so they can maybe net some profit on the tourney from their own play! You know? Run end around the stupid rules prohibiting amateurs from taking prize money. Great loophole with which I'm sure the USGA is OK. They could do it for years and still win US Amateurs!

EDIT: Bummer, that link was to some other governing body that doesn't conduct the US Amateur. Also, it mentions "not for financial gain". Dang. Also, I'm pretty sure it might change if the "amateur" golfer admitted he gambled on an event in which he actually played. Oof. So, back to 15-10, Nicklaus.

I see your angle.

cheated ? do tell..... if you are talking taking pay while being an am youd have to DQ half the ncaa at this point.. what with free private jet rides and such

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If you could only invite one to dinner, which one would you choose?

A) Jimmy Walker

B) Jimmy Walker

Actually, when I re-read your post, I'm not sure what I was thinking or why I said what I said. My apologies.