Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that is bothering me at this point is the lack of clarity on the differences between the 2 and 3, i.e. which is the iteration of the prior D2 and which is the D3. I can't tell from the photos, nor is is the usage currently on tour by the main guys giving any clear indication. I have a feeling that the TS2 is the lower spinning...but I don't think there is a consensus on it yet.

TS2 is the forgiving-bomber head and the TS3 is highly adjustable head. The differences between the two TS heads are more comparable to the M4/M3 rather than the 917 D2/D3.

Do you know if the TS2 and TS3 will be offered at different price points?

I am told they will be the same price, which is unlike the M4/M3. Apparently they didn’t want to increase the price of the TS3, probably for fear that the TS2 would cannibalize it at point of sale.

The only thing that is bothering me at this point is the lack of clarity on the differences between the 2 and 3, i.e. which is the iteration of the prior D2 and which is the D3. I can't tell from the photos, nor is is the usage currently on tour by the main guys giving any clear indication. I have a feeling that the TS2 is the lower spinning...but I don't think there is a consensus on it yet.

TS2 is the forgiving-bomber head and the TS3 is highly adjustable head. The differences between the two TS heads are more comparable to the M4/M3 rather than the 917 D2/D3.

I am told they will be the same price, which is unlike the M4/M3. Apparently they didn’t want to increase the price of the TS3, probably for fear that the TS2 would cannibalize it at point of sale.

Loving all the info Lloramaisey! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Makes sense. It might give some people the idea that if the TS3 is more expensive say $499, and TS2 is $399-449, that it may not be as good of a product or your giving up performance with a cheaper priced model.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Did anyone say if they are both 460cc?

I'm here way to much and as well as the Team Titleist forums and haven't read or heard anything yet on on cc's of either head yet.

But, only going off the old versions I'd assume if 1 is smaller head size (cc wise itd be the TS3) and possibly 440ish range. But that's just 100% guess.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Did anyone say if they are both 460cc?

I'm here way to much and as well as the Team Titleist forums and haven't read or heard anything yet on on cc's of either head yet.

But, only going off the old versions I'd assume if 1 is smaller head size (cc wise itd be the TS3) and possibly 440ish range. But that's just 100% guess.

Both are 460

TS3 = D3

TS2 = D2

Michael Kim won with the TS2 and said he chose that model because the TS3 was too low spinning for him.

I know he said that. JT - playing the TS3 - mentioned that it spun a bit more. It's not conclusive. Small sample:

Hoffman, Walker, Poulter and JT are all playing TS3. They all had been using the 917D2. Rafa is in the TS3, and had been in a 913D3.

Hadley and Cameron Smith are playing the TS2. Both had been using the 917D3.

I can certainly appreciate the need to dial in several details regarding spin, launch, looks, and feel. It just doesn't seem to be clear-cut as it has in the past with the D2/D3 distinction...until we get the release info from Titleist.

Adam Scott is another who is using a TS3, but had used a 917D2 for the most part (aside from dabbling with his 910D3).

Adam has played the D3 model for the most part since 2010, only switching to the D2 in 2016.

Correct.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

Was really interested in the TS3 but if both are 460, I'd rather try and pick up a 917 D3. Will still have to hit it first though...

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

What many fail to understand is yes they are both 460 but TS3 has a deeper face which results in a smaller profile (look) than the TS2.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

What many fail to understand is yes they are both 460 but TS3 has a deeper face which results in a smaller profile (look) than the TS2.

That actually sounds promising... Thanks!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Anyone know about stock shafts?

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

How many drivers will be launched from other OEMs before we get details on the TS? Lol

If these are lower spin heads I'm not overly excited since I enjoy sucking back my current Titleist driver on driveable par 4 greens.

Are you serious, or is this satirical? I play the 917 D2 9.5* and definitely don't spin anything back, and the 917D3 8.5* probably spins 500 less RPM than mine does.

Definitely a joke. The 8.5 D3 paired with the Tensei Pro Orange is a 2000 - 2400 rpm lazer.

Haha nice. I spin my 9.5 D2 with a X-Torsion Copper TX at 2000-2300.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

See I assume the deeper faced model was the TS3. But on "2 Guys Talking Golf" when they were discussing the TS line they were saying the deep faced head was the TS2, which kind of surprised me. Maybe in their conversation they were confused, but maybe not. I figured they know more about it than us but can't say anything until it released. Regardless I really hope the TS3 is the deeper faced model.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

See I assume the deeper faced model was the TS3. But on "2 Guys Talking Golf" when they were discussing the TS line they were saying the deep faced head was the TS2, which kind of surprised me. Maybe in their conversation they were confused, but maybe not. I figured they know more about it than us but can't say anything until it released. Regardless I really hope the TS3 is the deeper faced model.

That specific podcast about the TS line couldn't have been more inaccurate or misleading. Pretty sure it's the sole reason there has been so much confusion surrounding this line. It also, for me, completely discredited their legitimacy as a knowledgeable source for golf equipment news.

That specific podcast about the TS line couldn't have been more inaccurate or misleading. Pretty sure it's the sole reason there has been so much confusion surrounding this line. It also, for me, completely discredited their legitimacy as a knowledgeable source for golf equipment news.

My thought exactly after listening to that podcast.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I’m also in the camp hoping that the 3 will be deeper faced with a smaller footprint.

I Went from a 460 launcher titanium, which is VERY deep faced, to the 917 D3 for two years now. I’m used to that deep faced smaller footprint.

I bought and tested a Mizuno 180 ST recently out of midsummer boredom and I must say, when I hit the center it’s a monster, but the fact that it is much shallower faced than my D3 or my previous launcher always has me a bit uncomfortable standing over it and I keep missing it too high on the face.

Fingers crossed it’s a bit deeper but in side by side pictures so far, the footprint looks pretty darn similar

+1

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

+1

I think this all stems back from the fact that we don't really know yet, as Titleist has been mum on details. Even the photos make it difficult to tell which could be which.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

Anybody else notice the Titleist website showing a possible 16.5° TS3 and 11.5° TS3 Driver on the Tour talk up list??

917 D3 10.5 Diamana S+ LTD 60x
917 F2 16.5 Kurokage Dual Core Silver 70x
818 H2 21 Oban Kiyoshi Black 95/05 or 718 T-MB 3i DG TI AMT
718 T-MB 4i DG AMT White Tour ss X100
718 AP2 5-9 DG AMT White Tour ss X100
SM7 Raw Handground 46F, 50F, 54S, 58D- DG AMT S400 & DGTI ONYX S400
SC Futura 5.5m
19’ Pro V1x