MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

13 hours ago, GooseHook said:

I know the thread's a lot deader than it's ever been, but I just wanted to share the good news that my wife and I have a baby boy on the way. We're excited, it hasn't quite sunk in, and now I'm already thinking about how to build a junior golf set for when he gets old enough. 

Congrats Mr and Mrs Goose! 

The growth and change during first couple of years will amaze you. And you will be changing- a lot of diapers. 🙂

Congrats again!

Edited by Terphack

14 hours ago, GooseHook said:

I know the thread's a lot deader than it's ever been, but I just wanted to share the good news that my wife and I have a baby boy on the way. We're excited, it hasn't quite sunk in, and now I'm already thinking about how to build a junior golf set for when he gets old enough. 

Congrats man, that is awesome!!

Was in Vegas this past week and my brother and I found ourselves jelly of everyone walking through the lobby with clubs. It was just perfect golf weather out there too, low 50s in the morning, low 70s during the day.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words, and for sure I've got some serious sleep deprivation ahead of me. The first month of puppy life was particularly brutal, but at least this go round I'll be able to sleep in my own bed instead of standing watch from the couch on the first floor. My wife's due date is 4/17, so I should get one last Masters Sunday in hopefully in peace.

BTW is anyone in need of some ribbed grips? Lamkin made good on their customer service, and sent me 8 brand new Sonar Tour Calibrate grips. I don't have a use for them at the moment though. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

So, Dune was a really impressive movie that leaves me hoping the 10+ hours of screen time gets greenlit to tell the full story. Otherwise, it comes off like a great pilot that never got picked up. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

12 hours ago, GooseHook said:

So, Dune was a really impressive movie that leaves me hoping the 10+ hours of screen time gets greenlit to tell the full story. Otherwise, it comes off like a great pilot that never got picked up. 

I saw that it was on HBOMax now - but also read its like the first half of the story? Dunno, my wife watched it though and said it was good.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I saw that it was on HBOMax now - but also read its like the first half of the story? Dunno, my wife watched it though and said it was good.

It's probably 1/3 of the first book of the whole Dune series, so yeah. Very much like LOTR where you need way more time, almost like it would have been better as a Netflix or HBO series instead of an actual film. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On 9/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, dcmidnight said:

Gotta be honest I've been to PGASS a couple times in the last few weeks and the place is fully stocked on any grip you could want. Now maybe they got 100% stock in for the store opening and they wont be able to restock - but they seemed pretty full up to me.

Still pretty well stocked. 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

I was in DC a few weeks ago and swung by East Potomac to hit a few balls.  The practice greens were perfect.  I mean, I used to live in Old Town and hit balls and putted there every week.  Literally the best I've ever seen them, and not even close.  I was wondering what the hell was going on then heard there were ownership changes or whatever.  Anyway, it was a total shock.  Hope all their future upgrades are equally successful. 

• Like 1

I went to the one year anniversary NLT party at Rock Creek.  It was small, but I got to talk to Sinclair Eaddy and Will Smith.  Plan is for Rock Creek's "clubhouse" to be completely revamped and lead out to the driving range going down holes 8 and 9.  That should be pretty cool.  Apparently the money is there for that project, but the hangup is all the permits needed through the National Parks Service and DC.  That's why it's taking them so long to get started.  It didn't seem like the funding for EPGL is there yet but I am super psyched they will do a reversible course. 

Has anyone used the practice holes out there?  We started taking the middle school team and they are fantastic for any type of beginner.  It's just you, 70-100 yards, and a green.  There are a few bunkers, etc.  Not in great shape but again, great for beginners.  I was also impressed with the conditioning of the Red Course as well.  Aside from one green, the rest ran pretty smoothly.  And it's true, that practice green is looking better than ever.  Cautiously optimistic about all the changes.  But each will take a while.

• Like 4

Played another round at Eisenhower yesterday. The wind was a big factor on the front which also added to the leaf factor across the course. Not too bad in the fairways but it made finding balls in the rough (or worse) a bit of a challenge. The course was in great shape although the greens a bit slow. I stand by my earlier assessment that it is a solid public course. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terphack said:

Played another round at Eisenhower yesterday. The wind was a big factor on the front which also added to the leaf factor across the course. Not too bad in the fairways but it made finding balls in the rough (or worse) a bit of a challenge. The course was in great shape although the greens a bit slow. I stand by my earlier assessment that it is a solid public course. 

Agree with everything you said here. Played a couple weeks ago and one of the best for the price, especially if you’re an Anne Arundel county resident or Mil. 

• Like 1

Today I was honored and fortunate enough to play a round at the Naval Academy. The weather was perfect and the course is in outstanding condition. I was really surprised at the amount of elevation change on most of the holes. Although our hosts were providing information about bunkers and contours, experience or local knowledge surely goes a long way there. The greens were very quick and have a lot of character. It seems as if most greens were sort of dome shaped requiring cautious speed control on chips and putts. All of the fairways were very firm and the Bermuda still green and perfect. 

Anyone who has the chance do play USNA should jump at the chance, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 8:01 AM, dcmidnight said:

Got a chance to get out to Bull Run yesterday with my brother, Puppet and Chief. Used to be one of my favorite tracks but its the first time I've been out there in a few years and was blown away by the overall conditions. If you've been going out there at all over the last 20 years you know at some point in every year the greens go to hell and the ground wasps come out. No signs of anything like that, I was really impressed.

As it turns out, nursing a bum shoulder for the last few weeks has done wonder for my swing tempo - I have no idea whats going on. Hit 12/14 fairways, missed the two barely and was not lacking in distance so its not like I was just bunting them out there just to hit the fairway. Made one ludicrous mental decision on the back nine that lead to a double but paired it with 3 birdies for a 74. Supposed to start lessons in a few weeks but it felt like....one of those times your car isnt running right so you bring it to the garage and naturally when you get it there - its running fine.

Fried chicken sandwich and Old Bay wings after - solid 8/10. Bull Run has one of the best outdoor spots for a beer after.

Those types of rounds will always boggle my mind and continue to give me hope about my future golf life. The last posted round this season, I came off a 4 week layoff with little warmup and played totally lights out for 9 holes. A 3-hole stretch on the back cost me a career low at the club, but it was so nice to play decent golf without mentally grinding. 

I finally feel like I'm fully healthy after having neck and should issues last year, but the data from my simulator session last Friday was kind of disappointing. I need to build up strength and get some speed back in the offseason to keep what's left of my advantages. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Its by far the best round I have posted all year - not even close.

Not sure I can remember the last time I've driven the ball that well either.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I just posted a trip recap from our Bandon trip last week to the "Courses, Memberships and Travel" section, but wanted to share it with you guys too:

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see more pictures because I feel like going to Bandon is like joining a cult or doing Cross Fit and all you want to do after your trip is talk about Bandon. 🤣

Edited by ALTSean
  • Like 3

The biggest challenge now over the next weeks/months will be limiting your merch purchases on the Bandon site.

• Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

The biggest challenge now over the next weeks/months will be limiting your merch purchases on the Bandon site.

Maybe it was supply chain issues or maybe it was because Bandon has been packed for months, but the onsite pro shops were pretty picked over.  Unless you were a S or XXL, it was slim pickings for a lot of clothes.  @eagle1997 bought a cool Pacific Dunes 1/4 zip and I was going to buy it on our last morning so we could be twinsies, but when I went back, it was down to all smalls.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hopefully the weather pattern hangs on until the the week after Christmas when I'm off. At this point I've got the itch bad enough to play in a snowstorm. My SM8s took almost 5 months to come in and I didn't get them to December haha.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

1 hour ago, GooseHook said:

Hopefully the weather pattern hangs on until the the week after Christmas when I'm off. At this point I've got the itch bad enough to play in a snowstorm. My SM8s took almost 5 months to come in and I didn't get them to December haha.

Been great weather this week to even hit a few balls. Warm enough for shorts but still throw a hoodie on. Tomorrow will be my last round for who knows how long with the holidays and weather cooling down.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 12/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, GooseHook said:

That looks like a big no.

• Like 1

Had a chance to hit the PXG Gen3 0311 P irons this weekend. Thought the $359/club pricing was a joke but at $135/club its a damn nice iron if you are in the market. Anecdotal evidence seems to be that PXG has all of this in stock and ships within a few days. But if I were ordering - WHICH IM NOT - I would call just to make sure the shaft/grips I wanted were in stock. I know sometimes something as simple as a grip out of stock can delay an order for weeks even though going with the stock grip would have shipped almost immediately.

Reiterating, I AM NOT in the market for new irons...

...at this time.

• Haha 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*