MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Passed through Timonium today on a trip to a friend's house, and stopped in at Baltimore Golf. The grip shortage is REAL. This place normally has a Costco isle sized area full of grip boxes, today they had about 10 (literally) Golf Prides, some Winn Grips, and putter grips. Everything else was cleaned out. 

I did scrounge up a Sonar Tour Calibrate to put on the Ventus I just picked up, but that was also the last one. Just in time to put it in play for no stakes at a work scramble on Monday. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

50 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

Passed through Timonium today on a trip to a friend's house, and stopped in at Baltimore Golf. The grip shortage is REAL. This place normally has a Costco isle sized area full of grip boxes, today they had about 10 (literally) Golf Prides, some Winn Grips, and putter grips. Everything else was cleaned out. 

I did scrounge up a Sonar Tour Calibrate to put on the Ventus I just picked up, but that was also the last one. Just in time to put it in play for no stakes at a work scramble on Monday. 

Yeah it is.  Somehow went into Golf Galaxy the other week right after they got a shipment in, picked up a full set of Z grip cords.  The week prior they had nothing as well.

On the grip conversation, I switched to Best Grips MicroPerfs earlier this year and I am still in love with them. They were perfectly tacky through all of the humidity and a couple rain rounds as well. I never thought I would like leather grips but I am sold. WRX15 code saves you some money if you want to try them. 

Installed them all with air, blue painters tape and a little bit of solvent (water or wd40 would work too probably). No slippage all season and I was able to easily switch a grip to a new shaft after my 3wood broke. 

• Like 2

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

16 minutes ago, dagoose383 said:

On the grip conversation, I switched to Best Grips MicroPerfs earlier this year and I am still in love with them. They were perfectly tacky through all of the humidity and a couple rain rounds as well. I never thought I would like leather grips but I am sold. WRX15 code saves you some money if you want to try them. 

Installed them all with air, blue painters tape and a little bit of solvent (water or wd40 would work too probably). No slippage all season and I was able to easily switch a grip to a new shaft after my 3wood broke. 

Failure to mentioned my name — you are welcome 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

14 minutes ago, dagoose383 said:

Best Grips are great, leather in general are worth every penny.  I have the Best Grip Augusta Mids on my irons and wedges and love them.  Simple wipe down with some water and a towel after and between usage and they keep  sticky icky that snoop dog would appreciate.  

Only thing to watch, is installing if you use mineral spirits, just keep an eye on it as sometimes it can stain the leather depending on how much you use.  It wont ruin it or anything, just could leave a little spot.  Also, while the cost is higher but with how long they last and a little taking care of them there is no reason they shouldn't last 5 season or more.  

• Like 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Gotta be honest I've been to PGASS a couple times in the last few weeks and the place is fully stocked on any grip you could want. Now maybe they got 100% stock in for the store opening and they wont be able to restock - but they seemed pretty full up to me.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Haha yes it was Tex that turned me on the the leather grips and walked me through the air install and answered a million questions I had through the process. 

• Like 1

MACHINE Damascus M4

2 hours ago, SullGolf said:

After the great 7s downpour of 2018 (2019? years are running together), I switched over to Lamkin Crossline Full Cord.  None of this sissy "tacky" grip nonsense.  The full cord grip just embeds directly in to my skin, so it's not possible for it to slip.

In all honesty, they are a lot less severe than I expected when I bought them.  There's no issue playing 18 after a long break without getting callouses.  They don't have any cushion on mishits, especially in cold weather, but that's good feedback.

In terms of widely available grips, it's the best you can get for all-weather. I don't know why I always give other grips a go, sooner or later every single club has a CC back on it. Lamkin came out with the Genesis Cord as a non-OEM grip this year, and it's just not the same. It's more comfortable and has tons of cord but I'm running into the same installation issues that the 3Gen grips had a handful of years ago. 

That being said, the Sonar Wrap is the best wedge grip I've ever used. Just enough width in your lower hand and it feels the same no matter how you adjust the face of the club. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Not having played much recently, it felt like a shortcoming to be involved in a corporate scramble yesterday. It was hosted by my employer though, and it was at Hayfields, and I didn't have to pay for my entry...so hard to say no. Playing routinely in matches and tournaments is a great setup for the pressure of having three non-golfers on your scramble team. 

The round was 5.5 hours, but for a fall afternoon that place really does have some great holes and scenery. Great bunkering, wide fairways and some well placed water hazards. If I lived closer and had the coin I think I would love to play there as a home course. 

Edited by GooseHook
  • Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I sweat way too much and play in too much hot/humid weather to even take the chance with leather grips. MCC+4s for me and I'm even thinking about going back to the Z Grips. Even with those, I still end up wearing a rain glove half the time.

My brother played in a corporate event at Fishers Island yesterday, man I am so jealous, place looks absurd.

Tonight is our Wed league closeout night, singles matches. Heading to Philly for Columbus Day weekend and Vegas the week after so might be my last swings for a couple weeks. 

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

1 minute ago, dcmidnight said:

I sweat way too much and play in too much hot/humid weather to even take the chance with leather grips. MCC+4s for me and I'm even thinking about going back to the Z Grips. Even with those, I still end up wearing a rain glove half the time.

My brother played in a corporate event at Fishers Island yesterday, man I am so jealous, place looks absurd.

Tonight is our Wed league closeout night, singles matches. Heading to Philly for Columbus Day weekend and Vegas the week after so might be my last swings for a couple weeks. 

Leather has been great for humid and sweaty weather for me. Keeps getting tacky. 

I have one or two extra if you want to try one 

• Like 2

protos F4

27 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Rain and humidity are where the leather grips shine. They get soft and extremely tacky. Where they do NOT shine is cold, dry weather.  

• Like 2

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Yeah I have no complaints about the +4s, good all round, replace them once a year for $10 or so.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I'm a big fan of cord. Essentially have GP MCC's on 12 clubs and GP Full cords on both wedges. Enjoy both of those grips and also really like the Zgrip. I actually tried to switch from MCC's to Z Grips this year but couldn't get my hands on 12 when I was doing a regrip. I actually had a difficult time getting grips in early August. 

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

2 hours ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Leather has been great for humid and sweaty weather for me. Keeps getting tacky. 

I have one or two extra if you want to try one 

Yeah your pretty much described the exact conditions that the leather grips are perfect for. Like no glove no problem in a downpour, that grip is staying in your hand. 

As we get into actual cold weather rounds I may have to just wipe the grip with a damp towel before shots, but the feel will be a lot less harsh than a cold cord. 

MACHINE Damascus M4

On 9/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, jak77 said:

Sounds like I need to get out and play Northwest.  Tough booking an MCG now at a decent time.  Played Little Bennet last week after all the rain and the conditioning was phenomenal.  

Playing Little Bennett on Friday at 11:24 a.m. as a single (as of now) if anyone wants to join.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

12 hours ago, dagoose383 said:

Yeah your pretty much described the exact conditions that the leather grips are perfect for. Like no glove no problem in a downpour, that grip is staying in your hand. 

As we get into actual cold weather rounds I may have to just wipe the grip with a damp towel before shots, but the feel will be a lot less harsh than a cold cord. 

I use Pure pro grips and they are tacky and good for sweaty hands. I do have a best grip putter grip. 

I'm all for the air method, although the actual equipment setup has to wait until we (if ever) find a bigger house and I can set up a permanent shop.  Despite doing grips the same way for many years, I actually emailed Lamkin about my recent issues with their Genesis-based grips. I actually was trying to see if there was something I needed to know about the material for install or to let them know they might have a bad lot out there. 

Lamkin emailed me back tonight and they want to send me a free replacement set of grips. Pretty awesome! I really wasn't expecting any response but it was a bright spot today. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

20 hours ago, XHoop24 said:

I'm a big fan of cord. Essentially have GP MCC's on 12 clubs and GP Full cords on both wedges. Enjoy both of those grips and also really like the Zgrip. I actually tried to switch from MCC's to Z Grips this year but couldn't get my hands on 12 when I was doing a regrip. I actually had a difficult time getting grips in early August. 

Yep, at this point I know what works for me gripwise and its got to have some sort of cord in it. Its also more cost effective because I replace them every January.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

8 hours ago, GooseHook said:

I'm all for the air method, although the actual equipment setup has to wait until we (if ever) find a bigger house and I can set up a permanent shop.  Despite doing grips the same way for many years, I actually emailed Lamkin about my recent issues with their Genesis-based grips. I actually was trying to see if there was something I needed to know about the material for install or to let them know they might have a bad lot out there. 

Lamkin emailed me back tonight and they want to send me a free replacement set of grips. Pretty awesome! I really wasn't expecting any response but it was a bright spot today. 

Lamkin grips are the only ones that I have had issues with too. 

protos F4

1 hour ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Lamkin grips are the only ones that I have had issues with too. 

It has to be something with how they design or taper the butt cap and upper hand section.  Especially the .600 size grips. The .580 rubber crossline models, never had a single problem. You're right though, I've never had the problem with Golf Pride grips. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

22 hours ago, dagoose383 said:

I don't know about them being better than cord in cold weather Goose. I loved the tack, they obviously just felt a little firmer in the hands

DC I've also used them and the more you sweat, the better they are. definitely have more tack than the +4s which is what I used before them. But if you need cord then you need cord, to each there own. 

Edited by Sterling_247

2 hours ago, FAbb said:

At some point in the past 5 years, I've gone back to regular GP Tour Velvets.  I've got the 360 Tour Velvets on some clubs that they came stock on.  I like the profile.  They're firm'ish, but keep a decent tack.  They're cheap, and easy to find.

I like cheap and easy to find - no doubt.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*