2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What amuses me is how, on the US side of the pond, whenever the US gets thrashed, the immediate mindset seems to be that there is a problem with:

A) The Captain

B) The system by which the US picks it's team

C) The way the PGA sets up it's courses

D) Team chemistry sucks

It never seems to occur to anybody in the USA that these Europeans are really good golfers, and their team is comprised of top golfers from an entire continent and the UK, and they play a lot of golf in these countries, and have excellent programs to develop golfers.

Why is everyone so shocked? It's been going on for 30 years.

Yep, and throw in a partisan crowd and being able to set up the course favourably and it’s no surprise or disgrace that the home team is leading.

Speaking of plummeting ratings, who the heck will want pay to view Tiger v. Phil now? I'd rather watch John Smoltz play Tony Romo.

Barf.

I do and will.

u have alot of free time then. That's just an awful match and I don't want to here people explain anything else

Got it, well I guess we have different opinions.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

What amuses me is how, on the US side of the pond, whenever the US gets thrashed, the immediate mindset seems to be that there is a problem with:

A) The Captain

D) Team chemistry sucks

It never seems to occur to anybody in the USA that these Europeans are really good golfers, and their team is comprised of top golfers from an entire continent and the UK, and they play a lot of golf in these countries, and have excellent programs to develop golfers.

Always a rubbish analysis to group an entire country together in sentiments. My US side of the pond take is pretty simple - Find a fairway, you have a good chance to win the hole. We can't find fairways to save our lives. I'm a slightly shocked at our stupidity however. We knew Bjorn would set the course up to make fairways a premium and yet we still are found hitting woods off the tee. Furyk had to take woods and Dechambeau because of their form, but he could have manned up and taken a Zach Johnson, Billy Horschel, and or Kyle Stanley - all who are excellent drivers of the ball.

As an aside, Horschel always gets a raw deal. Whenever he peaks right before a Ryder Cup - we give the nod to a member of the good ol' boys club (in this case, Phil).

Phil is obviously paired against Molinari as a sacrifice so the better players have a chance to to beat weaker Euro players. Like when Obi Wan Kenobi sacrificed himself to help the Rebels.

It's supposedly a blind selection by the captains though. I give Molinari about 95% chance to win that match, but you never know with Mickelson. He is still a guy with 5 majors, 40+ wins, and the ability to flip a switch. If he brings his A game, that match will be a lot more competitive than we expect.

it is blind pairing, each captain gives their order of 12 without knowing the other

Does anyone else think YJS should have sucked it up and played with Cap America? [for the good of the team]

Seriously. Does anyone think this?

It was the perfect storm of crap honestly. Some of the euros are playing great see:; molinari, fleetwood, but its more how bad the americans are playing. they are out of most holes, not abusing the par 5s and so on. if their putters went cold or something like that id understand but they are consistently out of it. Its maddening watching these guys miss fairways with irons. thats giving the other side free momentum and it gets hard to dig your way out.

Mickelson over Schauffele.

Friendship over form?

Schaufele last 6 events: 68th, T35, MC, T39, T3, T7

Mickelson last 6 events; T24, MC, T15, T12, T58, 30

nothing earth shattering by Xander

T3 and T7 vs T58 and Dead Last in the last two events? Significant.

SG Off the Tee - 63 vs 150? Dang Significant.

Driving Accuracy - 123 vs 190? Severely Significant.

Add it all up? Earth Shattering.

On a course like this that is set up so tight - Phil had no business being on this team outside of qualifying on points. And I'm a huge Lefty apologist.

Bjorn's a smart man.

A) The Captain

D) Team chemistry sucks

Why is everyone so shocked? Its been happening Since all of Europe was allowed to compete .

small correction made ^

sure they are good ... But they arent better as some would say . personally think having the tour championship right on top of the Ryder cup helps the Euro team some... Notice how Spieth is playing well .. hes rested ...didnt make east lake.. Very poor scheduling not to have a week off before in my opinion .. Another example of $ over common sense

isn't it a breach of etiquette to change someone else's quote?

I agree it was a bad move to have the Tour Championship the week before RC, however, Rose, Molinari, Fleetwood, Casey,Rory, and Rahm all played in it.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

if we win tom I'm doing a full body wax in honor of the major upset!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bb0342e615a73546334919f

You may not like him but

But you cant deny

Gators got style ; )

Man, not sure what to do. Went to the old home front

Had like 3 ouzos and a pint

Played mud football, threw everbody a beatin ; )

Then, ate a rack of ribs, potatoes, cole slaw, corn pie, hot dog, cake, coffee

Then, some choice tequila, ouzo

Got home, had some ribs. Wine

Now, wondering, do I get up at like 6am to see

Tigerrrrr!?

No. Right? Oof, maybe...

Friendship over form?

On a course like this that is set up so tight - Phil had no business being on this team outside of qualifying on points. And I'm a huge Lefty apologist.

Bjorn's a smart man.

So 2 limited field events he does well and thats enough for you? Phil is also 4th in SGP and Xander is 86th.Phil is like 40th in scrambling after being in the top 15 all year and xander is 100th as hes been all year. Phils not the problem and Xander wasnt the solution. Bjorn is a fortunate man as well. If you think he sat back and thought Phil, tiger and patrick reed and deschambeau would be hitting irons and 5 woods and drivers in the water, deep rough and OB over and over again youre dreaming. Finau deservedly took Xanders "spot" and has been very solid except for a few missed putts. Guys who were playing well havent showed up either. Justin thomas and speith are the only ones who look good consistently

if we win tom I'm doing a full body wax in honor of the major upset!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bb0342e615a73546334919f

You may not like him but

But you cant deny

Gators got style ; )

[media=]

[/media]

Man, not sure what to do. Went to the old home front

Had like 3 ouzos and a pint

Played mud football, threw everbody a beatin ; )

Then, ate a rack of ribs, potatoes, cole slaw, corn pie, hot dog, cake, coffee

Then, some choice tequila, ouzo

Got home, had some ribs. Wine

Now, wondering, do I get up at like 6am to see

Tigerrrrr!?

No. Right? Oof, maybe...

ouzo is clean so youll sleep like a baby.I had ribs and mashed taters as well and cant breathe!! slapped on the sopranos sweatpants in your honor BSc cause im so bloated! enjoy the matches tomorrow man

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bb04b1d58307a4436812124

A) The Captain

D) Team chemistry sucks

It's about taking care of your own business. You can't "control" the other team, but you always analyze how your team as a whole could have been better. This happens in all team sports at all levels

I'm just so over Reed. The bozo was still shushing the crowd after making one birdie all day to HALVE a hole? He's more Captain Crunch than Captain America.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

Friendship over form?

Bjorn's a smart man.

So 2 limited field events he does well and thats enough for you? Phil is also 4th in SGP and Xander is 86th.Phil is like 40th in scrambling after being in the top 15 all year and xander is 100th as hes been all year. Phils not the problem and Xander wasnt the solution. Bjorn is a fortunate man as well. If you think he sat back and thought Phil, tiger and patrick reed and deschambeau would be hitting irons and 5 woods and drivers in the water, deep rough and OB over and over again youre dreaming. Finau deservedly took Xanders "spot" and has been very solid except for a few missed putts. Guys who were playing well havent showed up either. Justin thomas and speith are the only ones who look good consistently

I agree with your take on Finau. He's been solid. SGP doesn't mean very much on a course like this. The tee shot is everything. Ask Frank Molinari and Fleetwood. And no, I don't for one second think that he sat back and thought those guys you mentioned would be hitting it all over the place. That's the problem. He or whoever is advising him never thought about the tee shot or if they did they ignored it. Billy Ho, Kyle Stanley, and even Zach would've made a lot of sense here. Get the ball in play off the tee. Hazeltine was Bomb and gauge. That worked for our team. There are lots of factors to include when compiling a team, course set up should be one of them. Not sure it was here.

Friendship over form?

Bjorn's a smart man.

If you could replace FIGJAM, which US player would you choose? Keegan?

Friendship over form?

Bjorn's a smart man.

I agree with your take on Finau. He's been solid. SGP doesn't mean very much on a course like this. The tee shot is everything. Ask Frank Molinari and Fleetwood. And no, I don't for one second think that he sat back and thought those guys you mentioned would be hitting it all over the place. That's the problem. He or whoever is advising him never thought about the tee shot or if they did they ignored it. Billy Ho, Kyle Stanley, and even Zach would've made a lot of sense here. Get the ball in play off the tee. Hazeltine was Bomb and gauge. That worked for our team. There are lots of factors to include when compiling a team, course set up should be one of them. Not sure it was here.

Without knowing how far down on the list everybody mentioned was in RC points, It would take some cajones to make selections based on course and set up if they were outside the acceptable range of the points list, whatever that is. I'm not saying you're wrong. I would like to see a captain do that some day, but man if it didn't work people would lose their minds. The way I look at the captain spot is your gonna get crucified no matter what if you lose, so you might as well do what you think gives the team the best chance at winning. Winning trumps everything. If you hurt some feelings along the way and win, no one cares. If you make controversial picks and win, you're a genius. If you do everything right in the eyes of the golfing world and lose, your a bum

Because of work I've had to listen to the first 2 days on Ryder Cup radio, and have watched a recording after I got off duty.

I realize that it's hard to stay motivated when you're getting the s##t kicked out of you, but the disinterest displayed by the US from the get go is appalling. I was shocked when I watched, as radio just couldn't describe how bad it was.

Something has happened within the team to create such an atmosphere, and we'll hear all about it next week.

Something (other than just bad play) stinks here.

Friendship over form?

Bjorn's a smart man.

If you could replace FIGJAM, which US player would you choose? Keegan?

Honestly at this venue/course with some monday morning quarterback hindsight, maybe despite form id go kisner/Johnson/kuchar in that order based on versatility and swiss army knife ability to be paired with longer players yet still play their games. I think its a course where they would thrive

With that ridiculous letter Patrick Reed wrote, he's absolutely put his foot in his mouth the past two days. Hopefully he at least shows up for his singles match.

What letter was this ?

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Reed/Woods vs Molinari/Fleetwood, that's the one I want to see.

Absolute heater. I do think Fleetwood will succumb to first match jitters. But this is Tiger's chance to go at it with Fran again. Fran wont flinch so TW will have to bring his best. I wish it was 1-1 right from the get go. Possible sunday match. He may be the only guy on Europe that can handle that stage and still be themselves.

Reed/TW 6&5.

Heard it here first. This will be a good ole fashion beat down. Fleetwood will be totally intimidated and nervous while FM cannot putt.

LOL!

Good ole fashion wrong

The venue has been a known factor for years and the setup should come as no surprise to anybody least of all Team USA.

Kudus to JT for playing the Open de France.

If the Ryder Cup is as important to these players as we are lead to believe then why didn't more players play the event sometime in the lead up, a handful could have played last year or even the year before and more this year. If the reverse scenario was the case I'm certain more than one Euro would have played the event the same year as the Ryder Cup.

I find it very bizarre, the huge efforts players make to qualify for the team but then the apparent distinct lack of effort to prepare for the venue. This isn't an opinion with the benefit of hindsight, I said at the time of the Open de France that I was surprised only JT was there - money, private jets, etc. nothing should have prevented more playing.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Ever think that the Euros are way underrated? And I mean way way underrated. Look at the way Francesco and Tommy F played this year. JR is #1. Rory still has game. Henrik Stenson is still a stud. Ian Poulter is a Ryder Cup boogeyman and has played well this year.

Their weaker links aren't nearly as weak as our wet noodle soft as Charmin guys. Lol

They are fortunate that there are only 12 guys on each team. If we're talking Top 100 from each Tour, it's not close.

But we're not, since there are only 12 guys on each team.

They'd have to start really really early to fit all the Sunday singles matches in otherwise.

Lol, you wouldn’t get the matches done in a month of Sundays.

One thing on the ranking of the Top 100 from each tour - Matt Wallace won 3 events on the Euro Tour over the last 2 seasons but the combined total of OGWR points he gained was less than those received by a journeyman finishing 2nd in one of the lesser PGA Tour events.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Twitter has been an absolute treat. Some guy went from declaring the RC for America for the next 20 years to saying it means more to Europe, Americans don't really care and Le Golf National is not a real golf course like the ones on the PGA Tour. Glorious double standards.

I think the implosions by a few US fans, has been greater than some of Reeds water-bound efforts.....

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):