Cameron Champ - 2018 WITB

It would be interesting to get some information on how often the longer guys crack their heads.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to get some information on how often the longer guys crack their heads.

I don't remember seeing one crack in a spot like that. I have seen caved faces and composite seams separating (even a few of my own). The crown of a solid metal piece is strange. That is a lot of stress being put on that club.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I don't remember seeing one crack in a spot like that. I have seen caved faces and composite seams separating (even a few of my own). The crown of a solid metal piece is strange. That is a lot of stress being put on that club.

I think the reason we don't see a lot crack like this is because there are other weaker areas that give first, like seams. My ping did this earlier this year too(g400lst). Just wonder how often the heads fail for these guys. I can't seem to find a head that will last 2-3 months with very limited use. These guys hit their drivers more in the span of a week than I do in 2 months. It has to happen quite often, especially TM.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Great to see him win. His swing is amazing. 190+ ball speed with the Driver is something you don't see unless you are watching the World Long Drive competition. What's more is his irons sound so pure and his putting was killer!

I agree that it's interesting most of the long Ping guys are in the G400 Max. Is Bubba too?

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

If anyone has the Golf Digest Schools subscription go watch his undercover lesson, he hits one with Foley thats his "stinger" that launches at 3 degrees, 2500 rpm spin and carries 304, all around a 25 degree landing angle.

another question, anyone have feedback on the Z-star xv? Not a ball I expected him to play

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

If anyone has the Golf Digest Schools subscription go watch his undercover lesson, he hits one with Foley thats his "stinger" that launches at 3 degrees, 2500 rpm spin and carries 304, all around a 25 degree landing angle.

another question, anyone have feedback on the Z-star xv? Not a ball I expected him to play

I’m actually not surprised at all, Srixon XV is a great ball for high speed guys.

Piretti Savona 

Rick Shiels did a review on it a while back.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I think the reason we don't see a lot crack like this is because there are other weaker areas that give first, like seams. My ping did this earlier this year too(g400lst). Just wonder how often the heads fail for these guys. I can't seem to find a head that will last 2-3 months with very limited use. These guys hit their drivers more in the span of a week than I do in 2 months. It has to happen quite often, especially TM.

I suppose that is the price that is paid when these guys are making everything as close to the limit as possible. The Epic line was the worst for me in that regard. The composite on the bottom cracked twice and the face dented in on one. The Callaway fairways have been the same. The X2 Hot caved in, I ordered an Epic SZ from CPO that arrived with a dented face, and my most recent one dented as well. Didn't have any issues with the Rogue.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Rick Shiels did a review on it a while back.

Thanks

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

That is a lot of stress being put on that club.

At his speed he's probably knocking on the door of 5,000lbs of force on that clubface at contact. Honestly, when you cut these drivers in half and see how thin they are from the inside, it's kind of impressive that any of them hold up to the impact forces they experience.

Great to see him win. His swing is amazing. 190+ ball speed with the Driver is something you don't see unless you are watching the World Long Drive competition. What's more is his irons sound so pure and his putting was killer!

I agree that it's interesting most of the long Ping guys are in the G400 Max. Is Bubba too?

I believe Bubba is in the LST with the loft cranked below eight degrees.

Champ was playing a 9 degree G400 Max at Sanderson Farms, it is crazy how low his ball flight is. I was able to follow him for about 5 holes Friday and about 9 holes Saturday and 9 Sunday. He just overpowers the golf course, although the tour played the golf course pretty short. The never played one of the par 5s all the way back as a matter of fact they played two tees up on that hole 3 of the 4 days. On the Par 5 11th hole Friday he hit driver 360, had 193 to the flag, he his 9 iron and came up short. He was only able to hit it 183. He did seem really shy, his dad seemed to be a good guy.

Champ was playing a 9 degree G400 Max at Sanderson Farms, it is crazy how low his ball flight is. I was able to follow him for about 5 holes Friday and about 9 holes Saturday and 9 Sunday. He just overpowers the golf course, although the tour played the golf course pretty short. The never played one of the par 5s all the way back as a matter of fact they played two tees up on that hole 3 of the 4 days. On the Par 5 11th hole Friday he hit driver 360, had 193 to the flag, he his 9 iron and came up short. He was only able to hit it 183. He did seem really shy, his dad seemed to be a good guy.

So with somebody with a swing like Cameron Champ's, what would happen if he lofted up to 10.5 degrees? Since he hits such low bullets, wouldn't the added loft benefit him or no?

So with somebody with a swing like Cameron Champ's, what would happen if he lofted up to 10.5 degrees? Since he hits such low bullets, wouldn't the added loft benefit him or no?

I am guessing that it has a lot to do with the ball flight he likes to see and feels he has control over. I don't think he needs to hit the ball any further than he already does.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

He would simply hit it higher with more spin. Adding loft is only a benefit if you need more launch and/or more spin. Something he certainly doesn’t need or want.

Piretti Savona 

As a pretty decent amateur player, I love watching these guys bomb the shizola out of it. This athleticism and wow factor is what has brought kids like this into the game when they have the choice of so many tantalising, attention-grabbing distractions in the modern world. Let these guys shoot 25-under for 4 rounds. Let them hit it 350. Still gotta have a solid iron game and a delicate flatstick to make them Eagles.

2016 M2 w Elements Chrome X
2016 TI M2 HL 16.5 Atmos Blue 7X
Callaway X Utility Proto GDesign 18 S
TM Tour Issue Tour Preferred MB DG TI S400
TM MG 50/54/60 S300
Nike Method Midnight 6 Green Iomic 34 / TM Black Spider w Skull SS

Surprised he plays the G400 Max figured he'd be in a LST with that swing speed

The Kid is a Freek and a Bomber of the Ball.. Love watching him, so glad he picked up the W...

And Cracking his Driver Head before tee off... Well Played Man..

Yeah LST would work, but not that he needs the extra Less spin off the Driver.. LOL..

Bigger More Forgiveness and Booooming Drivers.. Happy Days.

The Max is a beast.

As a pretty decent amateur player, I love watching these guys bomb the shizola out of it. This athleticism and wow factor is what has brought kids like this into the game when they have the choice of so many tantalising, attention-grabbing distractions in the modern world. Let these guys shoot 25-under for 4 rounds. Let them hit it 350. Still gotta have a solid iron game and a delicate flatstick to make them Eagles.

Yeah Indeed Bud.. And at 240 + for a 4iron... Wowza..

I agree to a point but I do think there’s way too many weeks where the course could play tougher and they end up moving tees up, cutting rough down etc. We see a lot of birdies/eagles either way but sometimes the 20+ under events aren’t that fun to watch. These guys barely deal with rough anymore, there’s almost no penalty for hitting it long and crooked. Champ was 46% driving accuracy this week which is now pretty much an irrelevant stat the way golf courses are set up on tour. I do agree I enjoy the excitement but I think Ryder Cup proved that golf can be fun to watch still with a more challenging layout. Don’t get me wrong, even if the course played tougher last week Champ still would have won. +9 strokes gained putting and hitting it over 330 on average will get the job done most weeks on tour no matter what course they’re playing.

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

Those wedges are so clean!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Where’d the pic of cracked G400 head come from, Cameron?

Instagram

My buddies cracked in the exact same spot

As did mine.

Piretti Savona 

Can anyone make out this new shaft in his gamer? (according to ping)

Piretti Savona 

It almost appears to be an Accra of some sort judging by the CRA that I can make out in the text.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

That's all I can make out as well. Looking at their website I can't find a similar paint scheme unless this is their newest of new.

*edit* resembles the Accra TZP Prototype

Piretti Savona 

That's all I can make out as well. Looking at their website I can't find a similar paint scheme unless this is their newest of new.

I remembered seeing a new Accra shaft being discussed a week or so ago. This looks to be it. The graphics seem to match up.

Here is the thread where I saw it.

http://www.golfwrx.c...a#entry18178930

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS