New Wilson CorTex driver

Someone mentioned earlier that the adapter was plastic?!?! Can anyone who has one confirm this? Just want to know before committing and finding I need to change shafts.

BT

The adapter itself is metal but the top part that shows the loft change is plastic like the old TM adapters used to be. The loft ferrule part will melt if you try and pull the adapter and I know of no one that carries the ferrule.

Golf Works carries the adapters. The F5 and C300 are both the same as what's on the Cortex.

Good to know. I can pull the adapter without melting the ferrule, done that before. Just was worried the whole thing was plastic.

For those who still think people are buying these for the shafts... If they are, I don't know what they're doing with the heads. There are still no heads alone online anywhere.

BT

Yeah I have been looking for a decent price on the head only but nobody seems to want to let them go. I wonder if it is because of the rumors about limited quantities?

Yeah, I would definitely drop $180-$200 on a head alone. There's one on ebay that I am tempted by because it has a shaft that more suits my liking than the stock offerings. Still too high for me though.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still beyond impressed with the look of this driver every time I see one in person... It really is sexy

It’s as good as anything currently made aesthetically

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'm still beyond impressed with the look of this driver every time I see one in person... It really is sexy

It's as good as anything currently made aesthetically

I would argue better than a lot of other OEM's aesthetically. Hard to find a compact footprint with a deep face.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Just refuse to believe they can get a consumer to pay $499 for this stick with other well known brands in the same price bracket.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Just refuse to believe they can get a consumer to pay $499 for this stick with other well known brands in the same price bracket.

Saw one posted on a couple forums just over $300 and nobody even took a leap

Was in my local golf shop yesterday. I was asking a guy I know there if he knew the release date for the Epic Flash. He asked me if I had seen the new Wilson Cortex. I hadn’t yet had a chance to look at them. He told me that of the 6 they got in their initial shipment they had sold 4. He said he was really surprised at that. But that once people hit them in the simulator they were really enthusiastic about them. They didn’t have a lefty one for me to try so I wasn’t able to demo one.

Would it kill Wilson to send just one X Flex shaft to the stores to try in the Cortex?? Anyone come across one? I've been to multiple stores that carry the driver and nada.

You should watch this...I was surprised with the results.

That's a massive jump in feel and flex. Went from a fairly smooth/more lively 60 gram mid launch stiff flex shaft to a 70 gram low launch shaft that is one of the boardier shafts on the market. I'd love to see him review the blue 6s vs blue 6x for a more accurate comparison. I think he fits the blue profile more so than the black so probably better results with that on in X

Interesting how much tighter his dispersion was with the X shaft. Dispersion was one of the negatives I saw during testing which I chalked up to the head not being very forgiving. Based on this video, it may have been that shaft more so than the head.

If I'm Wilson, no doubt I'm putting at least one X flex option in the fitting carts. This club is geared more towards the better player 99% of whom are probably going to be fit with an X flex shaft

Would it kill Wilson to send just one X Flex shaft to the stores to try in the Cortex?? Anyone come across one? I've been to multiple stores that carry the driver and nada.

That's a massive jump in feel and flex. Went from a fairly smooth/more lively 60 gram mid launch stiff flex shaft to a 70 gram low launch shaft that is one of the boardier shafts on the market. I'd love to see him review the blue 6 stiff vs x for a more accurate comparison. I think he fits the blue profile more so than the black so probably better results with that on in X

interesting how much tighter his dispersion got which is also one of the drawbacks i saw during testing. I chalked my dispersion up to the head not being very forgiving but it may have been a shaft fit issues since they didn't have an X for me to hit.

If I'm Wilson, no doubt I'm putting at least one X flex option in the fitting carts. This club is more geared towards the better player 99% of whom are probably going to be fit with an X flex shaft

I actually commented as such on his video after watching it.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I do not understand how Wilson is a non known brand.

Ok, the Triton was not all 'that' but other drivers and irons, in particular, are excellent.

They've kept their prices high on the premium irons, so why not the premium driver?

It's obvious to a blind man that the Cortex can live comfortably with the alleged 'big boys'.

Kudos to them in keeping prices the same as others

That's a massive jump in feel and flex. Went from a fairly smooth/more lively 60 gram mid launch stiff flex shaft to a 70 gram low launch shaft that is one of the boardier shafts on the market. I'd love to see him review the blue 6s vs blue 6x for a more accurate comparison. I think he fits the blue profile more so than the black so probably better results with that on in X

Interesting how much tighter his dispersion was with the X shaft. Dispersion was one of the negatives I saw during testing which I chalked up to the head not being very forgiving. Based on this video, it may have been that shaft more so than the head.

If I'm Wilson, no doubt I'm putting at least one X flex option in the fitting carts. This club is geared more towards the better player 99% of whom are probably going to be fit with an X flex shaft

I thought stores didn’t get demos? They just got 5-6 clubs and the “demos” are the ones you buy. A very small percentage of players need an X flex. If a store got 6 Cortexes and 1 was an X, that’s 16% of the model in X and I doubt 16% of would-be buyers need an X. Those golfers that play an X are very picky and would probably change the shaft anyways. Maybe Club Champion would be the place to test the Cortex in X flex with their shaft options.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I thought stores didn't get demos? They just got 5-6 clubs and the "demos" are the ones you buy. A very small percentage of players need an X flex. If a store got 6 Cortexes and 1 was an X, that's 16% of the model in X and I doubt 16% of would-be buyers need an X. Those golfers that play an X are very picky and would probably change the shaft anyways. Maybe Club Champion would be the place to test the Cortex in X flex with their shaft options.

There are a few places with demo heads. Wilson is doing demo days with their reps in store. The reps don't even have X shafts in their demo bag.

I agree on you're theory as it would apply to general market (say G400, M4, Epic/ Rogue non SZ) but I don't think that's the market the Cortex is going to appeal to. This is definitely a better players club appealing to a smaller market and most will want an X flex shaft to demo the club with before buying.

I thought stores didn't get demos? They just got 5-6 clubs and the "demos" are the ones you buy. A very small percentage of players need an X flex. If a store got 6 Cortexes and 1 was an X, that's 16% of the model in X and I doubt 16% of would-be buyers need an X. Those golfers that play an X are very picky and would probably change the shaft anyways. Maybe Club Champion would be the place to test the Cortex in X flex with their shaft options.

Not everyone has a Club Champion close by. It seems they are really limiting their potential buyers. I get that they want to limit their losses. I don't care whether or not they see it as a premium club and charge a premium price. If they don't have the ability to get something that is a reasonable fit for me in my hands to at least try the club, why would I bother with this release or any future ones? At least with the big boys, they charge a price like that and back it up with demos and options. I view it as part of the value of the club. Wilson charges the same and offers less service. It is hard for me to put this into words for some reason. But, they are offering less of a perceived value. I get the stock shafts are more expensive than most other OEM's. But, if you don't have an option available for a big part of the market, you are doing yourself a disservice.

I will be buying a new driver this off season. I am waiting until they are all available to demo and will try them all, Cortex included. I have softened on the idea of spending $500 on the Wilson, as the Atmost is a pretty good shaft. But, they don't have any X stiff options and no demo components. If they somehow get something in that would work for me in the next two months, I will give it a look. If not, I won't even waste my time on it.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Just amazes, amuses, me at all the players whining about no X Stiff in anything.

How so?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Just amazes, amuses, me at all the players whining about no X Stiff in anything.

How so?

It’s WRX, need I say more ??. All the comments on this, and any topic where they’re whining, or should I say commenting, how there’s no X to try in this club or that club. Gotta read between the lines with me on this.

How so?

It’s WRX, need I say more ??. All the comments on this, and any topic where they’re whining, or should I say commenting, how there’s no X to try in this club or that club. Gotta read between the lines with me on this.

You are implying that those claiming that there is no x-stiff shafts don't actually need x-stiff shafts? I can only speak for myself. But, you do realize that GolfWRX is a subset of die hard golf enthusiasts. The membership here probably trends towards well above average skill set. I don't assume anything about anyone.

I am one of those curious as to why they don't have any demo stock or any x-stiff shafts to try. It's not whining, it's a general curiosity as to Wilsons goals. I don't know. Cobra is $50 less and has the same shafts as stock on their new F9 driver. I'll be able to try a few different shafts in that club too. Plus they have some tour validation as that driver had already won a few tournaments.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

How so?

It's WRX, need I say more ����. All the comments on this, and any topic where they're whining, or should I say commenting, how there's no X to try in this club or that club. Gotta read between the lines with me on this.

You are implying that those claiming that there is no x-stiff shafts don't actually need x-stiff shafts? I can only speak for myself. But, you do realize that GolfWRX is a subset of die hard golf enthusiasts. The membership here probably trends towards well above average skill set. I don't assume anything about anyone.

I am one of those curious as to why they don't have any demo stock or any x-stiff shafts to try. It's not whining, it's a general curiosity as to Wilsons goals. I don't know. Cobra is $50 less and has the same shafts as stock on their new F9 driver. I'll be able to try a few different shafts in that club too. Plus they have some tour validation as that driver had already won a few tournaments.

Wilson's goals are to sell all of the Cortexes. The reason that Wilson isn't providing X shafts to retailers is that they don't want to tie up one of the few Cortexes sent to retailers with an X shaft when only a small subset of players use an X. Only 7% of golfers need an X flex, but if one of the six Cortexes was X, that's 16% of your stock.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How so?

It's WRX, need I say more ����. All the comments on this, and any topic where they're whining, or should I say commenting, how there's no X to try in this club or that club. Gotta read between the lines with me on this.

Wilson's goals are to sell all of the Cortexes. The reason that Wilson isn't providing X shafts to retailers is that they don't want to tie up one of the few Cortexes sent to retailers with an X shaft when only a small subset of players use an X. Only 7% of golfers need an X flex, but if one of the six Cortexes was X, that's 16% of your stock.

I thought their goal was to be seen as a high quality brand.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I paid $280 for mine on eBay 2 weeks ago.

Just sold it for $263.

How does Wilson justify $499 retail????

I paid $280 for mine on eBay 2 weeks ago.

Just sold it for $263.

How does Wilson justify $499 retail????

Why did you sell? No good? Would love to know....I love my g400 max but I’m always open.

I knew after 10 balls that it would never kick my TS2 out of the bag.

And the sound.....OY!!!!!!

It is, but something has to give. Retailers and Wilson don’t want to be stuck with a bunch of X flex Cortexes. If you want to demo an X, you can get one. It will just take more effort

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How so?

I’m NOT implying nothing. It’s all in how YOU , YOU being used loosely as a whole, interprets it. Yes I know that WRX is full of die hard golfers, that’s why I joined. It’s better explained in the post above involving stock. X flex players are at a low %. Original shipment included 3 at local 9 hole track I frequent from time to time. Yes, W/S needs tonup their game in fitting carts I agree, as is the price point high. I love my Cortex but will look at the F9. I’vd got a F8+ in the corner. Cobra is highly underrated. No harm no foul on my part I promise. Didn’t mean to sound harsh towards the X flex crew.

How so?

Thank you for the better explanation!!

You are on a golf forum filled with golfers. A lot of us that are really into golf do have swings that require an X stiff. So it would be nice if we could actually try the Cortex with a shaft we would possibly use. I hit with a stiff and I liked it a lot but the spin was too high for me. I would have liked to try it with the black shaft in X, to see if it was any better.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro