New Wilson CorTex driver

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've a feeling that even if The Cortex bested all comers by a sensible amount, the 'hatred' for WS would over ride the results.

" It's a copy of the M1"

"Too expensive for just a few yards"

Etc etc.

I'm quite disappointed at the negative objectivity of so many.

Nobody is hating on Wilson. Most of not all agree that they make good/great irons and most have said with limited reviews/numbers it can hang with the other brands. The questions have been about the price when trying to sell these compared to what’s on the market currently when that performance isn’t significantly better than the rest and I believe mist would spend the money on a product if it was worth the extra money but in this case when brand new at $499 isn’t significantly better than $400 or less drivers with a better brand perception it’s hard to understand who would spend extra money for the same performance.

The knock on the look is because Wilson for two seasons wanted to bring in other ideas for innovation and make a great driver while also working on changing their image and the first iteration was a bomb and this one has a lot of what’s been done already.

Questioning pricing decisions and the choice of the winner isn’t hatred but discussion about brands choices.

I hope the Cortex turns out to be a great driver and a huge commercial success. Two reasons. We can always use a new driver that works for a lot of people, me included. If it works for me I'll buy it. Second, if it's a big success it could bring Wilson back as a major force in the equipment business. I think of Callaway in the early 90's. Just a niche company, making putters and wedges. Then came the Big Bertha and you know the rest. Incidently, when it was introduced the price tag on the BB was $200, and there was plenty of talk that the price was crazy, not worth it. But Callaway's marketing position was the BB was better than anything out there and worth the high price tag. I think that is what Wilson is doing now.

I've a feeling that even if The Cortex bested all comers by a sensible amount, the 'hatred' for WS would over ride the results.

" It's a copy of the M1"

Etc etc.

Nobody is hating on Wilson. Most of not all agree that they make good/great irons and most have said with limited reviews/numbers it can hang with the other brands. The questions have been about the price when trying to sell these compared to what's on the market currently when that performance isn't significantly better than the rest and I believe mist would spend the money on a product if it was worth the extra money but in this case when brand new at $499 isn't significantly better than $400 or less drivers with a better brand perception it's hard to understand who would spend extra money for the same performance.

The knock on the look is because Wilson for two seasons wanted to bring in other ideas for innovation and make a great driver while also working on changing their image and the first iteration was a bomb and this one has a lot of what's been done already.

Questioning pricing decisions and the choice of the winner isn't hatred but discussion about brands choices.

A lot of posts in here are hating on Wilson. People calling them a Walmart brand

I hope the Cortex turns out to be a great driver and a huge commercial success. Two reasons. We can always use a new driver that works for a lot of people, me included. If it works for me I'll buy it. Second, if it's a big success it could bring Wilson back as a major force in the equipment business. I think of Callaway in the early 90's. Just a niche company, making putters and wedges. Then came the Big Bertha and you know the rest. Incidently, when it was introduced the price tag on the BB was $200, and there was plenty of talk that the price was crazy, not worth it. But Callaway's marketing position was the BB was better than anything out there and worth the high price tag. I think that is what Wilson is doing now.

But the BB WAS better. Longer and more forgiving. The rules prevent drivers being better now.

" It's a copy of the M1"

Etc etc.

Nobody is hating on Wilson. Most of not all agree that they make good/great irons and most have said with limited reviews/numbers it can hang with the other brands. The questions have been about the price when trying to sell these compared to what's on the market currently when that performance isn't significantly better than the rest and I believe mist would spend the money on a product if it was worth the extra money but in this case when brand new at $499 isn't significantly better than $400 or less drivers with a better brand perception it's hard to understand who would spend extra money for the same performance.

The knock on the look is because Wilson for two seasons wanted to bring in other ideas for innovation and make a great driver while also working on changing their image and the first iteration was a bomb and this one has a lot of what's been done already.

Questioning pricing decisions and the choice of the winner isn't hatred but discussion about brands choices.

I would strongly recommend you read all the Cortex comments in this thread/on this forum again :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

But the BB WAS better. Longer and more forgiving. The rules prevent drivers being better now.

The BB was a success not because it made the best players better. It didn't. It made the average player better. Longer and straighter. Those are the folks who ponied up $200 in large numbers. The current rules mean that in the hands of the best players there is an upper limit to driver performance. But if the Cortex gives the average golfer 10 more yards and 2 or 3 more fairways hit per round it will be a success, even at $500.

" It's a copy of the M1"

Etc etc.

I would strongly recommend you read all the Cortex comments in this thread/on this forum again :)

I have read this thread and have been following along the whole time. The only "Hatred" toward Wilson or the Cortex that I can remember have all been about the price. I will say that anybody that calls Wilson a "Walmart Brand" is either trolling or they need to have their heads examined.

I have no doubt that any driver that has come out in the last few years can perform very similarly when fit.

I will admit that I was one who questioned the price tag but I also stated that if it performs as well or better then I have no problem paying the price they are asking. I however am in the minority as the average costumer will not pay the extra money compared to the G400 and others when they are even on performance. That is just a fact.

I will be looking for a new driver this offseason and for me it will be between the Cortex and the F9. I have narrowed it down to those 2 as of now only because of the look. If for some reason I can't get them to perform as well as some older models (G400 lst or Epic) then I will not purchase one. I will also demo the new offering from Titleist, Ping, Cally, Mizuno, and TM. If they outperform what I have they will be purchased.

The BB was a success not because it made the best players better. It didn't. It made the average player better. Longer and straighter. Those are the folks who ponied up $200 in large numbers. The current rules mean that in the hands of the best players there is an upper limit to driver performance. But if the Cortex gives the average golfer 10 more yards and 2 or 3 more fairways hit per round it will be a success, even at $500.

The chances of a club offering that kind of benefit (especially with no shaft options) are pretty slim. If it can hang performance wise (early reports show it can so far) and someone can get along with one of the Atmos shafts, then it has a chance. But, that's if people can overcome the brand perception and want to pay top dollar.

It's a great looking head with a deep face. But, let's be honest. With that deep face and compact shape (that I love) it will not be a great fit for a lot of higher handicap consumers.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

The chances of a club offering that kind of benefit (especially with no shaft options) are pretty slim. If it can hang performance wise (early reports show it can so far) and someone can get along with one of the Atmos shafts, then it has a chance. But, that's if people can overcome the brand perception and want to pay top dollar.

It's a great looking head with a deep face. But, let's be honest. With that deep face and compact shape (that I love) it will not be a great fit for a lot of higher handicap consumers.

Overcoming brand perception and paying top dollar was exactly my point about the Big Bertha. Prior to the BB, Callaway's products were wedges and putters with steel cored hickory shafts. The "brand perception" was throwback clubs for rich old guys. As I recall the price tag for a wedge was $120 at a time you could buy a Cleveland wedge for $60. Talk about changing brand perception! The success or failure of the Cortex will depend on how it performs for the average golfer. Let's see how that turns out before we conclude Wilson got it wrong.

Overcoming brand perception and paying top dollar was exactly my point about the Big Bertha. Prior to the BB, Callaway's products were wedges and putters with steel cored hickory shafts. The "brand perception" was throwback clubs for rich old guys. As I recall the price tag for a wedge was $120 at a time you could buy a Cleveland wedge for $60. Talk about changing brand perception! The success or failure of the Cortex will depend on how it performs for the average golfer. Let's see how that turns out before we conclude Wilson got it wrong.

Oh, I get what you were saying. I guess my point is that the BB was a true innovation. For the Cortex to do the same, it would have to deliver performance unachievable by the other top offerings. I don't see how that is possible given its design.

I want to see more OEMs out there to keep the market honest. If I can try the Cortex in an Atmos Black X-stiff, I'll give it a shot. If the best I can do is put tape on an ill fitting option and then have to special order blindly, I'll pass. I like heavy headed drivers, I like the small footprint, and I love the deep face.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I'll be looking for a place to test one out within a couple months. I'm currently satisfied with the XR16, but it never hurts to see what else is out there. If the driver worked for me, my one reservation with switching to Wilson would be that I have not heard anything regarding their customer service reputation. With most of the more dominant brands, I know that they will quickly resolve any issues I may have with the equipment.

" It's a copy of the M1"

Etc etc.

A lot of posts in here are hating on Wilson. People calling them a Walmart brand

Like it or not and Wilson themselves have admitted that the perception is they are a Walmart brand and it’s one of the reasons for the show is to help change that perception. They have also admitted that without the box sets they would no longer be on the golf business. So the comments on them being a Walmart brand are actually reality and not hate.

" It's a copy of the M1"

Etc etc.

I’ve been reading and following the thread the whole time and disagreeing with the price Wilson chose and the use of designs already done by others isn’t hate.

So the price.

Here's my ten cents worth.

They have an excellent driver in the C300 and that's retailing around the $375 mark. They cannot bring in a brand new driver at the same price. So, either reduce C driver by 100 then bring on Cortex cheaper OR as it stands, bring in Cortex more expensive than C300.

Seems reasonable to me.

Oh, I get what you were saying. I guess my point is that the BB was a true innovation.

What was so innovative about it ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Oh, I get what you were saying. I guess my point is that the BB was a true innovation.

The Big Bertha? The club that ushered in the age of "oversized" drivers.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Oversize titanium head, graphite shaft standard. Kinda started a trend don't you think? This was at a time when persimmon drivers still dominated the tour and were the choice of top amateur players. Taylor Made was making in roads with standard size steel headed woods, mostly on steel shafts. Get the picture?

The original Big bertha was a STEEL headed driver and TaylorMade had been making steel headed drivers for years before BB showed up.

Now titanium to make the head quite a big larger ? That one I'll give ya.

Titleist Pro V1X

The original Big bertha was a STEEL headed driver and TaylorMade had been making steel headed drivers for years before BB showed up.

What? The Big Bertha was absolutely revolutionary. Just because there were other steel drivers doesn't mean they didn't achieve a first in the club head design. It was huge compared to everything else. It had crazy perimeter weighting and was long.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

What? The Big Bertha was absolutely revolutionary. Just because there were other steel drivers doesn't mean they didn't achieve a first in the club head design. It was huge compared to everything else. It had crazy perimeter weighting and was long.

A first in clubhead design ? What ? A flat hitting surface and a rounded back.

Yeah, they made it bigger and improved the MOI with greater perimeter weighting but "revolutionary" ? If you say so.

The subsequent use of TITANIUM was revolutionary.

Titleist Pro V1X

A first in clubhead design ? What ? A flat hitting surface and a rounded back.

Yeah, they made it bigger and improved the MOI with greater perimeter weighting but "revolutionary" ? If you say so.

The subsequent use of TITANIUM was revolutionary.

Agree to disagree I guess.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

First review out

After watching that video I searched his Rogue review and the Cortex actually gave him 1 mph more ballspeed on average. The slightly higher spin with the Cortex gave him an average carry that was 3 yards shorter, though. From a fitting standpoint, the extra ballspeed alone gives me the impression that the Cortex can hang with 'em

If you own a rogue or any current release and walk into a store and get fit for the cortex and the results are basically the same as your current driver do you upgrade?

If you own something thats 2-3 years old and the cortex comes out the same as the current releases but costs $100+ or more do you spend the extra money for the same performance

Well absolutely not, but that’ll go for any driver for me. If I can’t beat what I have I don’t care if it costs 150$ brand new, I won’t buy it.

I’ll be interested in seeing if the new epic and TMs provide a big jump over where they were. If they do and they smoke the Cortex, it’s dead in the water

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

Michael Newtons’ review is up now too:

He’ll be posting a second review tomorrow. Said he’s going to test the adjustability of the driver.

It’s up now:

I still think his original assessment of the shaft not being a good fit, still applies.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled