New Wilson CorTex driver

Why hasn't Rick Shiels posted a review of the driver, yet? Does he not want to expose it as "just another driver" or is he not allowed to, since he was part of the show?

Think it was mentioned on another site that Tim Clark said Rick was going to refrain from a review since he was part of the selection process.

If you think about it it's a lose lose situation for Rick. If he ends up liking the driver then he's obviously biased because he was on the show. If he poo poos the driver he may end up hurting his relationship going forward with Wilson. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

I guess. But, just collecting data vs another club should speak for itself. This guy is probably the most viewed club reviewer online. Eliminating his viewership seems to be a bad choice. I haven't seen any other reviewers post on it either though. Really weird.

I haven't seen any reviews from anyone. I was thinking they would be everywhere. It is very interesting.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a chance to go to Golf Galaxy over the weekend and they had the Wilson Cortex on display. Tried out the 9* head w/ the Fujikura Atmos Blue which on paper is the shaft that should suit me the best. I tend to do well with shafts that have a stiffer butt and tip but a softer middle.

From a looks perspective, the Cortex is very attractive and on a retail rack it commands the appeal of a premium club. The face is nice and deep and at address the size and shape is just perfect to my eye. It is very compact looking and I love the black carbon fiber look. Some of the quality fades away as you get into the adjustment of the weights but I'll come back to that in a moment. I was very excited to hit this club after standing over it at address and seeing the shape of the head and Wilson nailed the look behind the ball.

As I started to hit the club the feel and sound was pretty good. Based on the initial reviews I had read online I somewhat expected the sound to be a little deeper or less metallic but it still have remnants of that weird sound that Wilson drivers have had in the past. I've had the F5 and the Triton and have also hit the C300 and all of them have a very strange metallic noise that I can only associate with the brand. Not sure what they are doing when they manufacture heads but the Cortex still had a little of that sound. The sound is very good though, especially compared to their older drivers and of course the Triton. I was also hitting indoors so the sound may change out on the course. Still was pleased with the sound and feel.

The Atmos Blue feels very smooth and maybe just a tad loose in stiff flex. I was swinging between 101-105 on this particular day according to the monitor and felt the Atmos Blue could be tipped about 1" and would feel perfect. The shots coming off the face didn't look like they were rocketing off but ballspeed was average. I'd say it was producing numbers that were in the lower end of most of the drivers I've hit. Again, nothing bad but nothing really great either.

The biggest problem I had with the driver was trying to get the spin down. I could not get spin to stay consistently below the 2800 and 3200 RPM range. I hit a few low on the face and the spin shot way up to 3500+. I was hitting a little bit of a fade so I swapped the 8 gram toe weight into the heel and put the 2 gram weight into the toe. This didn't really seem to make any noticeable difference in my shot shape or any with my spin numbers. I then moved the sliding weight all the way forward to try and see if I could drop the spin any and like the heel/toe weights, nothing really changed. The feel of the club changed for the worse and my spin numbers seemed to actually go up. The head definitely feels better with the weight towards the middle and back of the head. Since the slider didn't do anything for my spin numbers, I moved it back towards the rear as the shots felt so much better.

There was a Wilson C300 9* driver on the used rack and I was able to hit it side by side with the Cortex. It had the stock Fuji 58 Pro stiff shaft in it which wasn't exactly the same but I immediately dropped my spin by over 1000 RPM's. I could barely get the C300 above the 2000 RPM mark and the highest spin I got was 2400 on a shot that over-faded to the right. I immediately picked up 7-12 yards of carry due to the lower spin. Ballspeed numbers between the Cortex and C300 were identical. I did hit the C300 lower and found it harder to launch as high which also gave me a lot more roll after landing. I launched the C300 around 9-11 degrees and the Cortex around 12-13 degrees.

I didn't have a chance to try the Atmos Black but historically speaking the black's bend profile doesn't work for me. Since no store will ever have any other shafts to try I doubt I'll have the chance to find another combination that might bring the spin down. My theory is that the center of gravity of this head is not as low as it could be. Even though the crown is carbon fiber to remove weight, most of the sole is also which removes that weight from the heavier bottom of the club. You have weight freed up for the heel/toe weights and the slider but nothing low and back to pull that COG back down. The carbon fiber inserts in the sole are also raised up into the head which means that the structure that holds them is also up higher in the head. I can't wait to see where this club sits on the Not allowed because of spam Center of Gravity chart!

I mentioned earlier that there was some quality issues as I adjusted the weights. First off, the screw heads for all the weights are very shallow, shallower than any other weight screws I've adjusted, and the wrench slipped out of them very easily as I was trying to tighten them. I PROMISE these screws will get stripped very quickly and easily if you adjust the weights a few times and Wilson's wrenches feel like they have a lot of torque to get them to click. I also noticed that the heel and toe weights don't sit flush with the sole of the driver so it looks like you don't have them tightened all the way down. Not really a huge deal but worth mentioning. Also the heel/toe weight screws are very skinny and kind of hard to get started in the hole. I dropped the damn 2 gram weight (which is just plastic) 3-4 times trying to line it up and get the screw started with the wrench. It took forever and was slightly frustrating. The shaft adapter also looks like the same adapter Wilson has been using which means that the hosel is plastic. This means it will be impossible to reshaft because it will melt and the ferrules are not available without buying the entire tip. Taylormade used to do this but at least you could get replacement plastic ferrules that had the loft measurements once you destroyed the original. This means that even trying to find another shaft on my own would be impossible!

All in all I enjoyed hitting the club even though I could never get it to work for me. The spin was too high and the options to try and get a better fit just don't exist. Really too bad because the head is absolutely beautiful and perfect looking at address.

Why hasn’t Rick Shiels posted a review of the driver, yet? Does he not want to expose it as “just another driver” or is he not allowed to, since he was part of the show?

Think it was mentioned on another site that Tim Clark said Rick was going to refrain from a review since he was part of the selection process.

If you think about it it’s a lose lose situation for Rick. If he ends up liking the driver then he’s obviously biased because he was on the show. If he poo poos the driver he may end up hurting his relationship going forward with Wilson. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

I guess. But, just collecting data vs another club should speak for itself. This guy is probably the most viewed club reviewer online. Eliminating his viewership seems to be a bad choice. I haven't seen any other reviewers post on it either though. Really weird.

I think Wilson made a HUGE marketing mistake with this one. Social media moves the needle and Rick Shiels is probably the most “well” known for his online reviews. He is already baggin the Wilson Tour V6 irons and I think he, himself could have done more for Wilson had he provided a “positive” review and could have stated that he is putting the Cortex “in the bag” along with his Wilson irons. Marketing 101...

No way the Cortex is going to knock out a Ping 400 (LST/Max), Callaway Rogue (EPIC) or Taylormade M3/M4 out of a players bag at this time. I think the majority would agree, IF someone is currently gaming a Ping G400 LST/Max there is no way they would give up their Ping for the Cortex...(i.e. Rick Shiels and myself included)...

I had a chance to hit this driver the other day. I really wanted to like it but I couldn't get the numbers where I needed them to be. It was at a Club Champion so I was able to try a bunch of different shafts including the one in my gamer G400 max. I absolutely love the shape of the face its about perfect. Address shape is very good too. But for me the performance just wasnt there unfortunately. I think to me alot of the great modern drivers have found a way to keep the spin down on mishits. I found the Wilson to be especially bad in this area mishits spin alot. Well struck shots are fine in the spin dept.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I had a chance to hit this driver the other day. I really wanted to like it but I couldn't get the numbers where I needed them to be. It was at a Club Champion so I was able to try a bunch of different shafts including the one in my gamer G400 max. I absolutely love the shape of the face its about perfect. Address shape is very good too. But for me the performance just wasnt there unfortunately.

How close was it?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I had a chance to hit this driver the other day. I really wanted to like it but I couldn't get the numbers where I needed them to be. It was at a Club Champion so I was able to try a bunch of different shafts including the one in my gamer G400 max. I absolutely love the shape of the face its about perfect. Address shape is very good too. But for me the performance just wasnt there unfortunately.

How close was it?

I was Atleast 10y shorter w the Wilson w the same shaft and specs. And that was the best I could do. Mishits were worse. Say what you will about that G400 max but that club barely even notices when you miss it a little.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Why hasn’t Rick Shiels posted a review of the driver, yet? Does he not want to expose it as “just another driver” or is he not allowed to, since he was part of the show?

If you think about it it’s a lose lose situation for Rick. If he ends up liking the driver then he’s obviously biased because he was on the show. If he poo poos the driver he may end up hurting his relationship going forward with Wilson. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

I think Wilson made a HUGE marketing mistake with this one. Social media moves the needle and Rick Shiels is probably the most “well” known for his online reviews. He is already baggin the Wilson Tour V6 irons and I think he, himself could have done more for Wilson had he provided a “positive” review and could have stated that he is putting the Cortex “in the bag” along with his Wilson irons. Marketing 101...

No way the Cortex is going to knock out a Ping 400 (LST/Max), Callaway Rogue (EPIC) or Taylormade M3/M4 out of a players bag at this time. I think the majority would agree, IF someone is currently gaming a Ping G400 LST/Max there is no way they would give up their Ping for the Cortex...(i.e. Rick Shiels and myself included)...

the driver performs well enough that Rick would have checked all the boxes the bigs boys do and given it validation. It really does not need to be better. It just has to be as good. it will be interesting to see what he has in his bag when his does his next "whats in my bag" post. he does that about every 4-6 months. at least he did when he was switching equipment all the time.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

the driver performs well enough that Rick would have checked all the boxes the bigs boys do and given it validation. It really does not need to be better. It just has to be as good. it will be interesting to see what he has in his bag when his does his next "whats in my bag" post. he does that about every 4-6 months. at least he did when he was switching equipment all the time.

I agree with erock.

When one is considering doing something with NO UPSIDE and has a choice, one simply does not do it. :beruo:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Careful...it could be a Ping G410...”better” than his current gamer time will tell.

Still interesting that there is not a whole lot of “validation” and/or “technical” numbers out there on the Cortex though...given it’s price tag of $499.99, don’t you think they should have “something” to justify it’s price? The closest one so far has been the Not allowed because of spam one, however it did not appear to be a very convincing, short of “glowing” review...felt more like a “shoulder shrug” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nothing on Wilson’s website gives me an inkling that this driver could be better than the other guys...

Wilson never even thought it would be better than the top drivers. From the beginning they said they just wanted to make their best driver ever, be considered one of the best, and bring more marketing to Wilson golf in general. They succeeded.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Careful...it could be a Ping G410...”better” than his current gamer time will tell.

Still interesting that there is not a whole lot of “validation” and/or “technical” numbers out there on the Cortex though...given it’s price tag of $499.99, don’t you think they should have “something” to justify it’s price? The closest one so far has been the Not allowed because of spam one, however it did not appear to be a very convincing, short of “glowing” review...felt more like a “shoulder shrug” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nothing on Wilson’s website gives me an inkling that this driver could be better than the other guys...

Based on the lack of fitting carts right now I’m guessing Wilson figured the show and buzz would sell the product also might be why the 8000 units is probably true. Imo they are more focused on changing brand perception than creating the best driver on the market. It seems like many are content with this showing it can hang with drivers that have been on the market for 1-2 years already. When performance is basically equal no one is going to buy the untrusted product

a driver that only has a limited number of available units my guess is Wilson didn’t want to waste a head and shaft by sending out a bunch to reviewers and again rely on the show, the buzz and the input from rick on the show.

It’s head scratching how Wilson is going about this release, it’s really done nothing to change my perception on their woods

Hit this in store last weekend. I haven't played in over a month so I'm very rusty, and had nothing to test it against, so I didn't put too much stock in the numbers. But they had a 10.5 head on the rack with an Atmos Black 7s, turned down 1 setting. I found it curious that they had the Atmos black shaft in it vs the standard blue or red, but I liked it. It definitely felt heavy to me. Spin numbers were 2500 or less, good dispersion. But I really liked the shape and the feel. Nothing mind blowing or life changing, but certainly good enough to put it on the list of items to look at more seriously come spring.

Not head-scratching at all. They took a huge hit on the Triton. They are playing it safe and selling a reasonable amount of Cortexes first. Remember, DVD2 was intended to bring more awareness to Wilson Golf, not just sell drivers. If they sell out of the first 8,000, they can order more later.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

not sure where i need to be careful. it could be the ping. which is kinda my point and why he has not done a review.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Not head-scratching at all. They took a huge hit on the Triton. They are playing it safe and selling a reasonable amount of Cortexes first. Remember, DVD2 was intended to bring more awareness to Wilson Golf, not just sell drivers. If they sell out of the first 8,000, they can order more later.

Assuming that is their plan. It wasn’t with the triton. The plan with triton was to sell their initial order and that was it. They had planned to be sold out of them by March after the release.

As for trying to sell they need something that is going to draw the consumer to their product and outside of the show there’s nothing with this driver that does that.

Not having fitting carts/bags also doesn’t help got the ones who need to tweak the setup

Assuming that is their plan. It wasn’t with the triton. The plan with triton was to sell their initial order and that was it. They had planned to be sold out of them by March after the release.

As for trying to sell they need something that is going to draw the consumer to their product and outside of the show there’s nothing with this driver that does that.

Not having fitting carts/bags also doesn’t help got the ones who need to tweak the setup

There were a lot of Wilson golf ball commercials on the show. If the Cortex is a success, that breeds interest in the rest of Wilson golf. 8,000 drivers is the plan now, but if for some reason this thing sells out quickly and consumers are banging on Tim Clarke’s door for more, you betcha they’ll make more.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Assuming that is their plan. It wasn't with the triton. The plan with triton was to sell their initial order and that was it. They had planned to be sold out of them by March after the release.

As for trying to sell they need something that is going to draw the consumer to their product and outside of the show there's nothing with this driver that does that.

Not having fitting carts/bags also doesn't help got the ones who need to tweak the setup

There were a lot of Wilson golf ball commercials on the show. If the Cortex is a success, that breeds interest in the rest of Wilson golf. 8,000 drivers is the plan now, but if for some reason this thing sells out quickly and consumers are banging on Tim Clarke's door for more, you betcha they'll make more.

it is not selling. We still have our initial 8 drivers and very very few people are even looking at it.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

There were a lot of Wilson golf ball commercials on the show. If the Cortex is a success, that breeds interest in the rest of Wilson golf. 8,000 drivers is the plan now, but if for some reason this thing sells out quickly and consumers are banging on Tim Clarke’s door for more, you betcha they’ll make more.

This driver is going to be an after thought come March and maybe even before that once Callaway, Ping, Cobra and TM have their drivers out

Assuming that is their plan. It wasn't with the triton. The plan with triton was to sell their initial order and that was it. They had planned to be sold out of them by March after the release.

As for trying to sell they need something that is going to draw the consumer to their product and outside of the show there's nothing with this driver that does that.

Not having fitting carts/bags also doesn't help got the ones who need to tweak the setup

There were a lot of Wilson golf ball commercials on the show. If the Cortex is a success, that breeds interest in the rest of Wilson golf. 8,000 drivers is the plan now, but if for some reason this thing sells out quickly and consumers are banging on Tim Clarke's door for more, you betcha they'll make more.

it is not selling. We still have our initial 8 drivers and very very few people are even looking at it.

Are customers hitting it?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

not much. But, to be completely fair this is a pretty slow time.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Nothing was being hit at the GG I was at. Also they had to tape up retail heads for anyone wanting to hit this because there’s not fitting or demo heads

Stopped by the PGA store yesterday to pick up balls and I wondered around a bit. Now they had probably a dozen CorTex drivers on the rack, 6 demos on the floor, and I noticed a Wilson cart next to the demo stand. Certainly more than I was expecting after first seeing it in that store.

Personally, I'd probably still need it to be at a fitter to pay the full price for it. At $500 I want to make sure it's exactly what I want and fit perfectly.

Maybe Rick Shiels cares more about his reputation than he does giving a Wilson driver a positive review when it maybe isn't warranted. Marketing 101 for him.

If Rick positively reviewed it, no one would believe him because they'd say he's biased. He can't win by reviewing it positively or negatively.

He doesn't need to "win"...Wilson does. Shiels isn't selling products...Wilson is.

People are going to tune-in and watch his reviews regardless. Have you stopped watching his reviews because your current equipment doesn't work vs. people tune-in looking for the next best thing?

Do you or I agree with every review he does...NO...but, might he persuade you try something you otherwise would not have thought about..YES!

For me, his review of the Srixon Z785 driver did exactly that. I never would have given a look at their driver or even thought about testing it, but his review intrigued me enough along with Srixon's 60-Day Gaurantee to give it a try. I would agree...it is a sneaky good driver...may not be enough to overtake my current driver, but may be good enough that I want to keep it and have it as a backup.

10.5 head set at 9* but may leave it 10.5*

Atmos Blue Stiff 44”

8 in heel

2gm in toe

Slide wt. 2 clicks towards low from center

40* out with wind gust up to 15 mph. This thing is the real deal, for me. Nice high towering shots that carried in air forever. Put it against my Rogue set at plus 2 from std 9*, favorite Aldila Green NV, and for all you non believers, , it kicked the Rogue to the curb. Only downside for me is it has a slightly muted sound. We shall see come tomorrow’s round.

If Rick positively reviewed it, no one would believe him because they'd say he's biased. He can't win by reviewing it positively or negatively.

He doesn't need to "win"...Wilson does. Shiels isn't selling products...Wilson is.

People are going to tune-in and watch his reviews regardless. Have you stopped watching his reviews because your current equipment doesn't work vs. people tune-in looking for the next best thing?

Do you or I agree with every review he does...NO...but, might he persuade you try something you otherwise would not have thought about..YES!

For me, his review of the Srixon Z785 driver did exactly that. I never would have given a look at their driver or even thought about testing it, but his review intrigued me enough along with Srixon's 60-Day Gaurantee to give it a try. I would agree...it is a sneaky good driver...may not be enough to overtake my current driver, but may be good enough that I want to keep it and have it as a backup.

One sponsored review probably wouldn't affect me but if someone continued to give glowing reviews of products they were paid for I probably wouldn't care much about their videos.