New Wilson CorTex driver

This thing is almost as trash as the G410 and M5! Oh wait I haven't hit any of these like a good 95% of haters on here.... So many people won't try this so they can continue to hate it. At the end of the day if it is more forgiving, suits the eye and ear, has good numbers who cares the price? If you are so worried about re sale keep playing drivers that will sell well in 2 years time but probably won't help your game. Like everything a well fitted driver will out perform any shelf driver.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy bought one of these. Looks great at set up. Sounds really good. Right dispersion...I was impressed...I’d play it over a ping or m3/ m4

7,999 to go!

I snorted

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

This thing is almost as trash as the G410 and M5! Oh wait I haven't hit any of these like a good 95% of haters on here.... So many people won't try this so they can continue to hate it. At the end of the day if it is more forgiving, suits the eye and ear, has good numbers who cares the price? If you are so worried about re sale keep playing drivers that will sell well in 2 years time but probably won't help your game. Like everything a well fitted driver will out perform any shelf driver.

So did you buy it yet? I think it’s pretty clear from the posts here that it can hang with the top drivers on the market but it’s nothing special. In my testing, I found that it was maybe the least forgiving driver of anything I’ve hit recently. Center strikes/ good swings were good... misses were punished with excessive spin, low bs, and harsh feel. I make my driver decisions based on performance on miss-hits - they all perform great when nutted.

I’m happy Wilson has given the market another option worth considering but I don’t see this thing making much of a push.

Wilson has a driver that is basically as good as anything on the market, but we’re supposed to think it isn’t special? If the Cortex isn’t special, then nothing is.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

So did you buy it yet? I think it’s pretty clear from the posts here that it can hang with the top drivers on the market but it’s nothing special. In my testing, I found that it was maybe the least forgiving driver of anything I’ve hit recently. Center strikes/ good swings were good... misses were punished with excessive spin, low bs, and harsh feel. I make my driver decisions based on performance on miss-hits - they all perform great when nutted.

I’m happy Wilson has given the market another option worth considering but I don’t see this thing making much of a push.

Nope! Haven't even seen one in the flesh TBH. I just ordered a TS2 wood set (1,3,5 and 7) it had the same numbers as my G400 gear but I liked the look alot more. My G400 gear won't sell for much as the 410 is right around the corner but that's what happens when you buy and sell anything in life I just can't stand people slamming products for no reason other then they think they will hate it. Also can't believe so many ppl complaining about re sale or lack there of! I can't stand the epic, tried it with every shaft but it just wasn't for me there for I wouldn't pay $25 for one but that doesn't mean I'm going onto the epic page throwing hate!

Most aren’t saying it’s trash but rather stating that perception of the Wilson brand when it comes to drivers isn’t that good and then add in that they also have a reputation as “cheap” due to the box sets under the Wilson name. As a result the price is one than many believe is high for trying to attract people to buy a club that is as good but not far and above better than g400, ya line, Callaway current releases.

Whether uts golf equipment or other consumer products perception is usually reality.

Most aren’t saying it’s trash but rather stating that perception of the Wilson brand when it comes to drivers isn’t that good and then add in that they also have a reputation as “cheap” due to the box sets under the Wilson name. As a result the price is one than many believe is high for trying to attract people to buy a club that is as good but not far and above better than g400, ya line, Callaway current releases.

Whether uts golf equipment or other consumer products perception is usually reality.

This exactly. I don't understand why people are getting so defensive over this. No one is saying it's a bad club. Just doubting that Wilson can overcome their sullied image at this price point.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

This exactly. I don't understand why people are getting so defensive over this. No one is saying it's a bad club. Just doubting that Wilson can overcome their sullied image at this price point.

I did say that after my first initial go with it. It took another trip and an hour of tinkering to get it straight. It is good but not good enough for me to fork out any coin on it. Some may like it though.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Most aren't saying it's trash but rather stating that perception of the Wilson brand when it comes to drivers isn't that good and then add in that they also have a reputation as "cheap" due to the box sets under the Wilson name. As a result the price is one than many believe is high for trying to attract people to buy a club that is as good but not far and above better than g400, ya line, Callaway current releases.

Improving their image to the point of seriously competing in golf won't happen. When they let go of Arnie in the heyday it set a collision course with failure in the sport of golf.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

How can they get a better image if all these guy want to keep talking about how bad it is instead of giving them a chance?

Agree.... IF folks only had the opportunity to try out their equipment and would give them a chance.... oh well, they’re missing the boat. Let ‘em play into the claims of the “BIG” ones advertising I say!!

Beats me. Unless they have some financial reason or personal involvement it makes no sense. Sharing opinions on a forum is what makes forums run. Unless something is just not true share away. It’s not golf specific it’s basic principle of consumer goods. Wilson has a reputation for cheap and everyone knows that and Wilson themselves have stated the same and are using the show to change that image.

How can they get a better image if all these guy want to keep talking about how bad it is instead of giving them a chance?

Most aren’t saying his bad it is. The discussion has been about the price Wilson chose to bring it to the market. The few reviews with numbers show it has numbers that are comparable to the current drivers in the market. It’s aboit whether the general golf consumer is willing to drop $500 on a new driver from a company with a shaky reputation on drivers when they can buy an equally good or in some cases slightly better performing driver at a lower price from a company with better perception/reputation

Held this in hand today. Looks better in person. As others have said, this head feels heavy. But, I like that about it. The blue Atmos feels like a noodle in stiff flex with my highly accurate wiggle test. Could be the head weight. Only complaint is it seemed, at first glance, that the face looks a little closed.

Didn't get chance to hit it. The guy I know at the shop said it was ok. It doesn't sound like they were too impressed with the price point. They said that no one buys Wilson and they wish it was at $399. They volunteered that info. Just thought it was funny that they echoed the same sentiments as a lot on this forum.

I'll still try it out eventually. It does look high end.

I picked one up on Friday. A 9 with the blue Atmos in stiff. My ss is more of a regular but I could feel the headweight and have hit a couple of Pings with the heavier swingweight and HB shaft. Normally I fight going left and want to have an open look at address. First drives were a little low and had some fade. During the round, I moved everything. Lo and behold, I pushed the slide to the back and bumped the loft to 10, as well as moving the heavier weight to the draw position. I have never done this with any driver ever. All the TM, Titleist, whatever, I have opened and moved down.

It was certainly different -feels great and now has a slight draw. I may move the slide back more towards the middle. Course was very damp in that we have had a ton of rain. I believe I had read another post where the postee was moving it right too. Very excited with the results. It looks and more importantly feels really good. Thanks Steve

Objectivity is a foreign word to so many golfers.

If a small independent company brought out 'Twistface' and, as shown by neutral reviews, it doesn't actually do a jot, then this forum would be laughing at the claims (like the hammer advert).

TaylorMade make it ...and it's a great must have invention.

Ping slap turbulators to increase swing speed, again it's very debatable that they do anything, and golfers brand loyalty swear by it

Emperor's New clothes springs to mind.

Really ? I didn't find that at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If a small independent company brought out 'Twistface' and, as shown by neutral reviews, it doesn't actually do a jot, then this forum would be laughing at the claims (like the hammer advert).

Ping slap turbulators to increase swing speed, again it's very debatable that they do anything, and golfers brand loyalty swear by it

I thought the turbulators we're BS. Until I actually played the driver a bit. It is obvious to me that the club has less resistance throughout the swing. Vs my Callaway, I could feel and hear that it cut through the air better.

The Cortex isn't bringing any new tech to the table here. Besides, I think the board members here would actually give this driver a chance. The question is how the casual every day golfer will view this driver. Is it so hard to imagine that this may not sell because of the Wilson name?

After holding it in hand yesterday, I think that it looks good enough to command attention on the rack. Hopefully people give it a fair shake. But, I won't be surprised if they don't.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I'm not saying that turbulators or the dragonfly don't add anything to the G400 but the tech that amazes me about it is that they managed to achieve absurd levels of MOI and forgiveness in a much more traditional shape than the previous generation of square drivers. So high MOI in a driver isn't a new idea. They just managed to improve on what has been done before. Callaway's Jailbreak is a great thing but if anybody remembers the old Zevo Compressor you could argue that this is an advancement of that idea. There is very little real breakthroughs being achieved anymore and everything new seems to be derivative of something else. So I don't necessarily view what Wilson has done with the Cortex as being copycat. The early reviews seem mostly positive, some don't like it and a few others are down on it just because it's from Wilson. I hope they do well with it. I don't think they are under any illusions that this will suddenly catapult their brand image to TM or Callaway status. Thats not going to happen. But i do think there is space that used to be occupied by Adams to carve out a share of market space separate from the big boys. Maybe Cortex can be the start of that. I'm a fan of the brand but as much as I like their irons and wedges their woods and hybrids have usually been lacking. The last W/S driver that spent any significant time in my bag was the Smooth which was a really excellent club. I did stop by a PGA SS yesterday to pick up some cleats and saw the Cortex in hand and it's really a great looking club. Easily the best looking driver they've ever done IMO. Didn't hit it because I didn't want to be tempted since I'm hitting the G400 so well. But for anybody in the market based on the early reviews maybe folks will be more re willing to give it a shot. We'll see.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I thought the turbulators we're BS. Until I actually played the driver a bit. It is obvious to me that the club has less resistance throughout the swing. Vs my Callaway, I could feel and hear that it cut through the air better.

The Cortex isn't bringing any new tech to the table here. Besides, I think the board members here would actually give this driver a chance. The question is how the casual every day golfer will view this driver. Is it so hard to imagine that this may not sell because of the Wilson name?

After holding it in hand yesterday, I think that it looks good enough to command attention on the rack. Hopefully people give it a fair shake. But, I won't be surprised if they don't.

All the evidence suggests that the smaller head size of the G400 (445cc) is the reason it cuts through the air NOT turbulators.

As for the Cortex, isn't the Titanium cage involved as the chassis new tech ?

When I was 6 years old and got a new pair of shoes I could tell they made me run faster too.

When I was 6 years old and got a new pair of shoes I could tell they made me run faster too.

Do you not feel resistance when swinging a driver? You know, the thing that makes the big whoosh noise. A lot less whoosh would be the best way to describe it. It is noticeable. But, since we're being condescending, maybe you don't swing fast enough to notice?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Lol that was my criteria for buying shoes when I was a kid.

Hit it. Looks good, sounds good, performance is comparable to the industry. Here are my take always.

I hit it with a Rogue silver 125 MSI X flex. The club starts out with a D6 swing weight right off the bat. Definitely recommend a shorter shaft or counter balanced to get it to where you are used to. I averaged about 168 ball speed. My biggest complaint is, at address, if you set the club down it sits about 10-15 degrees open. This is a major design flaw. It’s because the 2 contact points are the bottom of the face (heel) and the heel side weight port. I don’t mind open 1 or 2 degrees, but I constantly had to fight it sitting way open because I like a square position at address. This might only be a factor when it’s set at 8*...

I was also disappointed there was no atmos black X to try. Lame.

The design of the neutral and draw weight together with the sliding weight are pointless. It’s at such a low percentage of movable weight, that is almost not a factor. The most differential in back spin that I saw was 200 rpms... they should have forgone the neutral and draw weights and moved that weight strictly to the sliding weight. At only 8 grams, it’s just not enough. That’s just 4% of the total head weight. It needs to be in the 18g to 22g grange to really have an impact, thats why TM has 2 weights. You get to 10% head weight in sliding weights and you have a very good adjustability factor.

Wished I could have tried the Atmos, but ultimately, I couldn’t get a perfect fit. Spin rates were at 2600- 2800 and my launch was at 16* and that was with the head set to 8* and the weight forward, with a Pro V1. So, it still spun a bit to much. As I stated, ball speed were 1-2 mph lower than my gamer, on flush shots and it was a draw club for me. With the right shaft it could probably be tuned a little better, but the set up, way open was a nuisance. Cobra has the smart pad to counter that, and other manufacturers add that to the design. Kind of a deal breaker for me.

Will I buy it? No, my Cobra LTD Pro is just untouchable only because I need a 7* driver. Closest thing on the market is the TS3, but it still spins a few RPMs extra than my LTD.

In the end, It’s looks cool, reminds me of the Titleist 913 colors and design but with carbon. Sound was A+, deep face was A+, and I liked the smaller head shape appearance too. Weight system effectiveness was C-, and open position at address is a C. Shaft options A+. So with those scores it has a chance to compete.

Price??? Not going there.

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

The idea behind the titanium frame with all the carbon inserts should have been to allow for more weight to be used in adjustment or used to help the club. I think it missed the point. I agree head weight is a little too heavy but then again I tend to like a little shorter shaft so if I got it cut to length swing weight might fall into place. Driver hit the ball far for me. Shots were too low but resulted in long rollout which you can't always count on. Would need a shot at testing some other shafts and maybe the 10.5 head to get my launch angle better. Will be trying it again for sure.

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about the $499 price point, but from a marketing point of view, you must see yourself as being equal to your premium competitors before the public will. Maybe it seems like a lot now, but sticking a $500 point on it says "legit".

Frankly, everything Wilson have done in the last 5 years makes their brand worthy of top-tier recognition. It takes a while, but they have fully committed, and while the infomercial of DvD is "questionable" in its true R&D sense, if a bunch of people watch it, it worked. Politics aside, it got a president elected.

So ya, it'll probably follow the quick discount flow like Cobra does, but Cobra went through this about 8 years ago. Since the Fly-Z pro, no one questions Cobra as top tier. Wilson needs to keep at it, and get an "acceptance" hit, and in a few years, you'll not question them.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about the $499 price point, but from a marketing point of view, you must see yourself as being equal to your premium competitors before the public will. Maybe it seems like a lot now, but sticking a $500 point on it says "legit".

Frankly, everything Wilson have done in the last 5 years makes their brand worthy of top-tier recognition. It takes a while, but they have fully committed, and while the infomercial of DvD is "questionable" in its true R&D sense, if a bunch of people watch it, it worked. Politics aside, it got a president elected.

So ya, it'll probably follow the quick discount flow like Cobra does, but Cobra went through this about 8 years ago. Since the Fly-Z pro, no one questions Cobra as top tier. Wilson needs to keep at it, and get an "acceptance" hit, and in a few years, you'll not question them.

And yet cobra f8 started cheaper than the cortex and unless they make the leap to the $499 price the f9 probavky comes in to so pe your example if cobra being top tier it’s anonthdr brand that performs similar as cortex and cost less