New Wilson CorTex driver

Price point = laughable. Maybe they will have a putter vs putter and take on Scotty Cameron in the $350 milled putter market. :taunt: :taunt:

THE ONLY way for them to be taken seriously is if they convince aka pay for a top talent on the PGA Tour and get a stable of guys that actually appear on TV. Regardless of what you think, player endorsements matter.

This is truth. I would imagine the vast majority of the golfing population do not get fit for a driver. Heck, if they hit it more than a couple of times on a simulator, I'd be shocked. So much of the average golfer's decision making process depends on brand awareness. Another large part is perceived value. To buy a driver they don't see in a winners bag, or other golfers hitting on the course, all the while, paying the same price they'd pay for a big OEM's club seems like a tough pill to swallow.

I hope Wilson can overcome this. But, I still stand by my premise that if they would have come to market at $400, they could have made a dent in a day and age where the big boys seemed to have jumped $100 in price.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what this place is about!!. to come here and give your opinion right or wrong. Till someone actually puts their money where there mouth is and says they purchased one, this is all just internet posturing. Faining disgust, when you yourself have zero interest in purchasing one.

i really enjoyed the show and was hoping that the cortex would have been a giant slayer.

If someone else hits it and likes it great! I am sincerely happy for them. You obviously have not read all my posts. I said that I may have been overly harsh I my initial reaction. It is fair to say that I may have been. I can accept that. and that tomorrow at the store I work at I am going to give it another try. I am trying to be objective but that was my first impression. I was not impressed in the slightest.

My Aussie friend, you were the first(?) to have tested it. You also are in the biz, no ?

You are experienced enough to know, as someone earlier pointed out, that it's virtually impossible for a driver to be a full 30 yards shorter than another unless it is very poorly fit, no ? And yes, I realize you backpedaled a bit but,,,,,,,,,,

"I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3"

Psssssst - and BTW, it's "feign". I mostly don't bother with typos anymore since it annoys so many people, even if it's done kidding around but, that's twice you've used "fain" so it probably wasn't a typo. :) ;)

I am not Australian. haha and i dont mind being corrected. thank you.

OK, fixed it. :D

you do bring up an interesting point. by a show of hands :good: , how many have actually tried this driver??

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1713894-hit-the-new-wilson-cortex-today/page__pid__18261266?do=findComment&comment=18261266

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

With only 1 review out there I will say this.

If them were my numbers from a fitting and it was that close, I see 2 possibilities.

1. At the same price point I choose Cortex as I think it is an amazing looking driver.

2. At the current price points I go with the G400 LST as it doesn’t look bad and is $200 cheaper.

I personally think ping is going to sell out of G400’s at the $299 price point. That’s is a stupid good driver at a stupid low price.

Just got back from hitting the Cortex at my local Edwin Watts. As a bonus, the Wilson Rep was there doing fittings so I let him lead the session and I just hit what he would hand me after making his adjustment. The most disappointing part of the fitting was that they only had Atmos Blue 6S and Atmos Red S and R flexes on hand. Rep claimed that, at this point, the Cortex is a limited release and the X flex and Atmos Black options are only available through custom order.

Look: A+. The shape, graphics, finish are all absolutely top of the line. I would say that in the address position this is one of the better looking heads on the market. It's a good balance between a traditional players shape but still game-able for for high handicappers. The transition from face to crown is sharp and the face angle appears neutral to slightly open.

Sound: A. Very nice solid "thwack" that's similar to the other heavily composite heads on the market. May be a little too muted for my liking, but it shouldn't be off putting to anyone.

Feel: A-. Similar to the sound, it's got a very nice solid feel. I'm putting it somewhere between EPIC and M3. My knock would be that this solid feel is not extremely consistent across the face becoming somewhat harsh towards the heal and toe.

Performance: A. As surprising as it is for me to admit, the driver actually performed well. Ball speed, launch, spin were all similar to my gamer and to other drivers currently on the market. The one thing that I did notice is that misses to the heel and toe did not perform nearly as well as the center strikes - especially on the heel side where spin numbers skyrocketed.

Also, the driver is definitely fade biased. We moved the weight to the draw setting but it didn't seem to affect shot shape much and actually made the head feel unbalanced. We started with the CG weight back, but quickly moved to all the way forward which is probably where it should be for most everyone considering that there's already 10g in the back with the heel and toe weights.

All in all, Wilson has another (C300 is just as good) driver that's worth a look if you're in the market. I am NOT going to purchase one because my gamer is a better fit for me personally.

Just got back from hitting the Cortex at my local Edwin Watts. As a bonus, the Wilson Rep was there doing fittings so I let him lead the session and I just hit what he would hand me after making his adjustment. The most disappointing part of the fitting was that they only had Atmos Blue 6S and Atmos Red S and R flexes on hand. Rep claimed that, at this point, the Cortex is a limited release and the X flex and Atmos Black options are only available through custom order.

Look: A+. The shape, graphics, finish are all absolutely top of the line. I would say that in the address position this is one of the better looking heads on the market. It's a good balance between a traditional players shape but still game-able for for high handicappers. The transition from face to crown is sharp and the face angle appears neutral to slightly open.

Sound: A. Very nice solid "thwack" that's similar to the other heavily composite heads on the market. May be a little too muted for my liking, but it shouldn't be off putting to anyone.

Feel: A-. Similar to the sound, it's got a very nice solid feel. I'm putting it somewhere between EPIC and M3. My knock would be that this solid feel is not extremely consistent across the face becoming somewhat harsh towards the heal and toe.

Performance: A. As surprising as it is for me to admit, the driver actually performed well. Ball speed, launch, spin were all similar to my gamer and to other drivers currently on the market. The one thing that I did notice is that misses to the heel and toe did not perform nearly as well as the center strikes - especially on the heel side where spin numbers skyrocketed.

Also, the driver is definitely fade biased. We moved the weight to the draw setting but it didn't seem to affect shot shape much and actually made the head feel unbalanced. We started with the CG weight back, but quickly moved to all the way forward which is probably where it should be for most everyone considering that there's already 10g in the back with the heel and toe weights.

All in all, Wilson has another (C300 is just as good) driver that's worth a look if you're in the market. I am NOT going to purchase one because my gamer is a better fit for me personally.

Special order only for the X stiff? That is very disappointing. So, even if I do find it in store, I won't actually get to try it with the shaft that I would order. I am glad that you got good results with it. But, that price point is even more ridiculous with the lack of shaft options. Maybe that will improve as time goes on.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Special order only for the X stiff? That is very disappointing. So, even if I do find it in store, I won't actually get to try it with the shaft that I would order. I am glad that you got good results with it. But, that price point is even more ridiculous with the lack of shaft options. Maybe that will improve as time goes on.

What a great selection of shafts to choose from :cheesy:

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

OK, I spent over an hour after work hitting this tonight. I trweaked it tried different shaft off the cart we have for Wilson and got it to where I will take back that it is “trash”. But, I am still not putting it up with the best out there.

I think the head is a great looking head, I don’t think they did anything wrong there. And actually the weight adjustments are pretty affective due to the head being almost 50% carbon. I found the best setting (for me) is the 8 gram weight in the heel which is strange because I typically fight a hook and the sliding weight all the weigh forward. I also got the best number with a px hazrdus Black 6.5 shaft. And the best ball speed I could get was 175 off 119 club head speed see pictures below.

Which is just a touch lower than my gamer a ts3 with a hazrdus smoke 6.5 75grm. Again see pictures below. This is all done with a brand new Bridgestone bx Ball. This is all done with a foresight gcquad launch monitor.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

The Wilson FG Tour F5 Driver is today at Budget Golf for $19.99

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

OK, I spent over an hour after work hitting this tonight. I trweaked it tried different shaft off the cart we have for Wilson and got it to where I will take back that it is “trash”. But, I am still not putting it up with the best out there.

I think the head is a great looking head, I don’t think they did anything wrong there. And actually the weight adjustments are pretty affective due to the head being almost 50% carbon. I found the best setting (for me) is the 8 gram weight in the heel which is strange because I typically fight a hook and the sliding weight all the weigh forward. I also got the best number with a px hazrdus Black 6.5 shaft. And the best ball speed I could get was 175 off 119 club head speed see pictures below.

Which is just a touch lower than my gamer a ts3 with a hazrdus smoke 6.5 75grm. Again see pictures below. This is all done with a brand new Bridgestone bx Ball. This is all done with a foresight gcquad launch monitor.

Do you drink unleaded or premium before hitting your driver? Just curious seeing that you’re bombing it further than my future.

Do you drink unleaded or premium before hitting your driver? Just curious seeing that you’re bombing it further than my future.

I just take 4 Advil.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just take 4 Advil.

Gotta live life on the edge sometimes...

OK, I spent over an hour after work hitting this tonight. I trweaked it tried different shaft off the cart we have for Wilson and got it to where I will take back that it is "trash". But, I am still not putting it up with the best out there.

I think the head is a great looking head, I don't think they did anything wrong there. And actually the weight adjustments are pretty affective due to the head being almost 50% carbon. I found the best setting (for me) is the 8 gram weight in the heel which is strange because I typically fight a hook and the sliding weight all the weigh forward. I also got the best number with a px hazrdus Black 6.5 shaft. And the best ball speed I could get was 175 off 119 club head speed see pictures below.

Honest question here. Why do you not put it up there with the best out? You had a 2mph faster swing speed with you gamer and a better smash factor and only lost 4mph of ball speed. Yes you lost 10 yds due to the lower swing/ball speed and smash factor but I would assume you were fit for your driver with the shaft and head combo that gave you the best numbers and consistency. Without being completely fit for the Cortex to see if the numbers can improve, I see no reason to write the Cortex off at this time.

OK, I spent over an hour after work hitting this tonight. I trweaked it tried different shaft off the cart we have for Wilson and got it to where I will take back that it is "trash". But, I am still not putting it up with the best out there.

I think the head is a great looking head, I don't think they did anything wrong there. And actually the weight adjustments are pretty affective due to the head being almost 50% carbon. I found the best setting (for me) is the 8 gram weight in the heel which is strange because I typically fight a hook and the sliding weight all the weigh forward. I also got the best number with a px hazrdus Black 6.5 shaft. And the best ball speed I could get was 175 off 119 club head speed see pictures below.

Honest question here. Why do you not put it up there with the best out? You had a 2mph faster swing speed with you gamer and a better smash factor and only lost 4mph of ball speed. Yes you lost 10 yds due to the lower swing/ball speed and smash factor but I would assume you were fit for your driver with the shaft and head combo that gave you the best numbers and consistency. Without being completely fit for the Cortex to see if the numbers can improve, I see no reason to write the Cortex off at this time.

. It is simply because I do not like how it feels.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

. It is simply because I do not like how it feels.

Fair enough. Feel is very personal. With today's technology in drivers being so close, I think feel and looks become the deciding factor along with price. I just like clarification when someone puts statements like that into a review of a club.

Personally I haven't hit it yet but with everything I read and hear, I think Wilson hit one out of the park with the Cortex and then tripped rounding 3rd base with the price!

Tested this out in the shop and noticed the head was heavier than expected. The 9.0 with Atmos 6S was a D7 swingweight, and measured 44 3/4". The head weights 205 grams, compared to 195 on an Epic. The weight difference explains the swingweight being so heavy. Seeing that, we threw it on the frequency machine and as expected, it was barely a regular flex. The head is just too heavy, and it seems like they didn't take any consideration of their headweight when choosing the shafts they would put in them.

With you on the price.

Here’s how I see it, if I’m in the market for a new driver and It comes down to say rogue, ts3, m3, and cortex as my best performing options, I’m never going to pick cortex if all three are at the same price points. Now, if you gave me the option for cortex at say $375-$400, id 100% purchase the cortex to save some money and still have top of the line performance.

Honestly though, there are so many great options that are 1 yr - 2yr models old at much better prices that it’s hard for me to justify paying retail for anything these days.

My college roommate had a job with wilson so i played a Triton...i actually liked it WAY better than my R15...eventually the G400 knocked it out. However, i think W/S did a few things right (better).

Triton was so odd looking alignment (top) and the bottom...you had to be brave to buy it and bag it in playing with a group

They never gave stock specs...length & SW

and sound....

Looking at cortex on the website the technology is much easier to understand...looks more normal (people will feel good about it)

Shafts are great

Length is stated...looks traditional from the top view

Good luck W/S

With you on the price.

Here’s how I see it, if I’m in the market for a new driver and It comes down to say rogue, ts3, m3, and cortex as my best performing options, I’m never going to pick cortex if all three are at the same price points. Now, if you gave me the option for cortex at say $375-$400, id 100% purchase the cortex to save some money and still have top of the line performance.

Honestly though, there are so many great options that are 1 yr - 2yr models old at much better prices that it’s hard for me to justify paying retail for anything these days.

I am the opposite. If I can get the same performance and good feel out of the Cortex as any other model and they are the same price, I am choosing the Cortex. I think it is a beautiful driver. I don't care that it says Wilson on it. The problem is with the G400, Rogue, etc getting price cuts, we aren't talking the same price. Which means they now have to be significantly better to justify the price difference.

With you on the price.

I am the opposite. If I can get the same performance and good feel out of the Cortex as any other model and they are the same price, I am choosing the Cortex. I think it is a beautiful driver. I don't care that it says Wilson on it. The problem is with the G400, Rogue, etc getting price cuts, we aren't talking the same price. Which means they now have to be significantly better to justify the price difference.

Even at full price, the G400 was $100 less. Now that it's $200 less, it is kind of a no brainer if performance was similar. The G400 Max has no price cut and is still $100 less.

But, I get where you are going. Can't really compare two models when one of them is on clearance to make room for it's replacement.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

With you on the price.

And those discounted drivers are going to be around for a few more months so anyone going to get fit would be hitting those. $200 less for g400 would be an easy decision

Tested this out in the shop and noticed the head was heavier than expected. The 9.0 with Atmos 6S was a D7 swingweight, and measured 44 3/4". The head weights 205 grams, compared to 195 on an Epic. The weight difference explains the swingweight being so heavy. Seeing that, we threw it on the frequency machine and as expected, it was barely a regular flex. The head is just too heavy, and it seems like they didn't take any consideration of their headweight when choosing the shafts they would put in them.

It is funny you mention swing weight. I forgot to add this pick of the cortex. Tho is the club on a swing weight machine E2!!!!!!

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Priced right out of the market, even with the wiz bang shaft.

In my opinion all of the ‘name brand’ stuff is. Just at different levels. TM’s not gonna pay players for just playing their drivers anymore. If Wilson took up their $500 stipend for the pros simply putting their club in the bag on any given weekend the perception would quickly change. Even without the club being any better than it is now. At the end of the day though, I have played enough golf and tried enough clubs to confidently say a driver hasn’t been built that is worth $500 to me.

I think a lot of people would be embarrassed to play a wilson club is what it comes down to, why I don't know....I guess they can't be associated with certain companies....damages their ego and their impression on other golfers. if it ticks all of the boxes for someone who cares what name is on it. I think it looks great, and based on that I will give it a try.

Yeah, nothing like the guy with a $5,000 bag that can’t play a lick. Play with what works. Who cares who’s name is on it.

With you on the price.

Heres how I see it, if Im in the market for a new driver and It comes down to say rogue, ts3, m3, and cortex as my best performing options, Im never going to pick cortex if all three are at the same price points. Now, if you gave me the option for cortex at say $375-$400, id 100% purchase the cortex to save some money and still have top of the line performance.

Honestly though, there are so many great options that are 1 yr - 2yr models old at much better prices that its hard for me to justify paying retail for anything these days.

Even at full price, the G400 was $100 less. Now that it's $200 less, it is kind of a no brainer if performance was similar. The G400 Max has no price cut and is still $100 less.

But, I get where you are going. Can't really compare two models when one of them is on clearance to make room for it's replacement.

In Canada the g400 max $650 & the Cortex is $599. Strange that in the US the ping is $100 cheaper

With you on the price.

In Canada the g400 max $650 & the Cortex is $599. Strange that in the US the ping is $100 cheaper

The Max is still $399 here. The G400, LST, and SFT all dropped $100 on Nov 1st.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS