2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Wilson CorTex driver

Just hit it with 3 swings.

First initial thoughts. Impressive. Like the size. Never even looked at the bottom or options for adjustments, just sat it down and swung. Non-scientific.

This thing was solid and I appreciated the sound. I am thoroughly impressed with the finish of this product. Great jump forward from the Triton.

My only issue is the price. Being on GolfWRX, I am not the average golfer when it comes to being in the know concerning shafts. I know that this is a real deal ATMOS and understand the cost. Yet for the average guy that walks in the shop he has no idea what that means and because it is not a Taylor Made, Callaway or Ping the salesman then has to explain where the value is. This is a tough sell, because you have to dog other OEMS to build up Wilson instead of just selling on the merits of the club. For a company that has a very small market share this seems to be an uphill climb. I am not in the industry, I just know what the guys at the local shops deal with on a day to day basis.

Thanks

But all the other oems are also offering real deal shafts and are equal price. Not to mention at the price these oems get the shafts at due to ordering in bulk cuts down on that aspect a lot

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What percentage of the market even cares about the shaft options? I have to imagine that it's extremely small.

I don't know. If the sales person markets it as a shaft that is $300 if they bought it on their own, it would catch the attention of a few golfers I know that are not shaft savvy, but looking to get a good deal.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

350 would've been a proper price point. 500 is just ridiculous. Sure it might hit well but if it has similar numbers to the big 4, Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist or Ping, I don't think a consumer can justify it. Good luck Wilson.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

I am not dogging them for the price. I think they put some good stuff in to this thing and the finish product is worthy of a top shelf price. My issue is how do you sell that when Wilson has no name in the driver market. I do not believe the TM and Callaways are "worth" that, but they have enough time in the game to garner that price point without people being turned off. PXG made a splash by not competing at the $500 point and jumped to level where nobody was competing so by default they gained market share of an open market at that price point. In a day where we have seemingly maxed out tech and now it comes down to fit and loyalty, to get in to the game you may have to go low to work your way in. Just my 2 cents. Thanks

I am not dogging them for the price. I think they put some good stuff in to this thing and the finish product is worthy of a top shelf price. My issue is how do you sell that when Wilson has no name in the driver market. I do not believe the TM and Callaways are "worth" that, but they have enough time in the game to garner that price point without people being turned off. PXG made a splash by not competing at the $500 point and jumped to level where nobody was competing so by default they gained market share of an open market at that price point. In a day where we have seemingly maxed out tech and now it comes down to fit and loyalty, to get in to the game you may have to go low to work your way in. Just my 2 cents. Thanks

For a big name like Wilson, selling a driver for just $300 says to consumers that it is cheap

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I have one. Got my Evenflow 65g shaft and Lamkin grip in it and I have to say I like it. Hitting it side by side with my G400 MAX results were, from my eye, similar. No data, just hitting on the range.

So if the results are similar to me, and more importantly I like the look and sound of it better than the Ping, I think I may be changing. I believe I can play around with the weights and loft and only get better, not to mention building more confidence.

I’ll be out to the course soon and continue comparisons, but I think this Cortex will be just fine for my game.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

Am i an equipment snob. Hell yes. I'll fully admit it.

Nick Faldo won the Masters with a putter called an Odyssey . No-one had ever heard of it then. Soon after i tried to order one.....and the World had already gone crazy for them. I had a heck of a job, but got one fairly quickly in the end.

Would i use a Wilson driver right now. And pay $500 for the privilege. Doubtful.

But if Tiger was to start the 2019 season with one in the bag and up both his distance and accuracy; i wonder how big the queue would be behind me :-)

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Honestly, it's a very deep face and the head is black so those are two things I actually really like about it. It is a Wilson though so it's $499 today and $179 by Jan 1.

Maybe Wilson sees a small crowd of fan boys that they know will purchase at this price point and they want to get as much as they can out of the gate. I'm sure they fully expect to be at $200 in a few months.

If they would have launched these with the Tensei Pro line of shafts they could have easily gotten the $500 price tag from the shaft junkies that would likely flip the heads.

Honest Question, You feel the tensei pro shafts are better than the fuji Atmos?

Im the opposite haha. I just like the feel of the Atmos better than tensei (at least the blue or white tensei)

I’m with you, get along with the atmos and most Fuji’s! Tried all the tensei’s, had good smooth feel but results were just ok!

My buddy bought one of these. Looks great at set up. Sounds really good. Right dispersion...I was impressed...I’d play it over a ping or m3/ m4

7,999 to go!

There is a neutral and draw setting, but no fade setting? Still haven't got an answer about this. Can't you just put the 8 gram weight in the toe and the 2 gram in the heel?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Okay so I ran by there, had to bank and needed balls anyway. Found it's nice but I get where folks go meh. Oddly the white shaft is off putting to me. And since this has a deep face, classic vibe to it, why not go all out and polish face and throw a more neutral or dark shaft to it? It would look much nicer. I sleep well with my Type I tonight.

Okay so I ran by there, had to bank and needed balls anyway. Found it's nice but I get where folks go meh. Oddly the white shaft is off putting to me. And since this has a deep face, classic vibe to it, why not go all out and polish face and throw a more neutral or dark shaft to it? It would look much nicer. I sleep well with my Type I tonight.

I know right. I've come to dislike the contrast of a white shaft and black head. Besides, when they were touting the Atmos TS as the Cobra stock shaft, they made a point of mentioning that the color was now black because Fuji was changing the color scheme. Doesn't appear to be the case? I would think the black version would look better.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I know right. I've come to dislike the contrast of a white shaft and black head. Besides, when they were touting the Atmos TS as the Cobra stock shaft, they made a point of mentioning that the color was now black because Fuji was changing the color scheme. Doesn't appear to be the case? I would think the black version would look better.

The non TS atmos changed colors which has been what the oems lime cobra and titleist have used.

The non TS atmos changed colors which has been what the oems lime cobra and titleist have used.

The F9 has a black TS Atmos as an option. I remember it being mentioned that Fuji was changing the color and that's why it doesn't look like the aftermarket out there today. But, I don't remember where I saw it and can't find it at the moment.

Either way, I agree that the black shaft would look better :)

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

The F9 has a black TS Atmos as an option. I remember it being mentioned that Fuji was changing the color and that's why it doesn't look like the aftermarket out there today. But, I don't remember where I saw it and can't find it at the moment.

I would prefer a black shaft also. But, if you’re Wilson you can’t go changing paint jobs without forums like this calling it watered down. They need it to have the same paint job as the one you would buy in the aftermarket.

According to fuji’s site they have a red, blue and black TS versions. Their website still mentions using tour spec white so if they are changing it’s not on their site yet

Honestly, it's a very deep face and the head is black so those are two things I actually really like about it. It is a Wilson though so it's $499 today and $179 by Jan 1.

Maybe Wilson sees a small crowd of fan boys that they know will purchase at this price point and they want to get as much as they can out of the gate. I'm sure they fully expect to be at $200 in a few months.

If they would have launched these with the Tensei Pro line of shafts they could have easily gotten the $500 price tag from the shaft junkies that would likely flip the heads.

not sure i agree on your timeline. The C300 driver has been out for a long time and has not dipped in price.

I agree, Wilson really dropped the ball with the TRITON in terms of not making sure it was legal, and then everything got worse from there because of it. I definitely think this will hold its value A LOT longer than a lot of people give it credit for.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

I hit this driver yesterday, and I must say that I was very impressed. It definitely has a good chance to make into the bag. I’m curious to see what the new offerings will be from PING, Callaway, and TaylorMade. I loved the look and sound of the club. Over all I think this is a fair price for this driver. It is premium. If they do go down in price, this would make my decision easier. It just performs!

According to fuji's site they have a red, blue and black TS versions. Their website still mentions using tour spec white so if they are changing it's not on their site yet

Here you go...Black TS Atmos from the F9 thread.

My buddy bought one of these. Looks great at set up. Sounds really good. Right dispersion...I was impressed...I’d play it over a ping or m3/ m4
7,999 to go!
There is a neutral and draw setting, but no fade setting? Still haven't got an answer about this. Can't you just put the 8 gram weight in the toe and the 2 gram in the heel?

I my experience with this driver is that there is no neutral, there is either fade or draw bias's.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

They all sit this open at address so didn't even bother hitting it. Fairly large error as a drastically open face angle fits nearly nobody.

I love the way that looks. It doesn't look open to me at all.

I agree. When I put it down, it looks perfectly square. The head looks more like 440cc than 460cc, but sometimes the shape can fool me. But it looks square.

RH

Why hasn’t Rick Shiels posted a review of the driver, yet? Does he not want to expose it as “just another driver” or is he not allowed to, since he was part of the show?

Think it was mentioned on another site that Tim Clark said Rick was going to refrain from a review since he was part of the selection process.

If you think about it it’s a lose lose situation for Rick. If he ends up liking the driver then he’s obviously biased because he was on the show. If he poo poos the driver he may end up hurting his relationship going forward with Wilson. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Why hasn't Rick Shiels posted a review of the driver, yet? Does he not want to expose it as "just another driver" or is he not allowed to, since he was part of the show?

Think it was mentioned on another site that Tim Clark said Rick was going to refrain from a review since he was part of the selection process.

If you think about it it's a lose lose situation for Rick. If he ends up liking the driver then he's obviously biased because he was on the show. If he poo poos the driver he may end up hurting his relationship going forward with Wilson. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

what does it matter? his numbers on the show were not that great anyway - compared to his driver YT shootouts ala Ping vs Callaway

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Why hasn’t Rick Shiels posted a review of the driver, yet? Does he not want to expose it as “just another driver” or is he not allowed to, since he was part of the show?

If you think about it it’s a lose lose situation for Rick. If he ends up liking the driver then he’s obviously biased because he was on the show. If he poo poos the driver he may end up hurting his relationship going forward with Wilson. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

I guess. But, just collecting data vs another club should speak for itself. This guy is probably the most viewed club reviewer online. Eliminating his viewership seems to be a bad choice. I haven't seen any other reviewers post on it either though. Really weird.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X