2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

When can we order the epic flash customs .... can't do green.

I think right now you can pre-order.

Callaway Customs starts pre-orders 2-1-2019.

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

I hit the Flash today and it just spun too much, even the SubZero head. Ball speeds were down 5-8mph also from a previous driver I had...We also had on different shafts along with flexes and he even had me go UP in loft. So odd...but I tried. Oh well......

Curious why you would go up in loft if you were spinning too much? Going down in loft is the quickest way to take down spin.

It wasnt me it was their fitter who said and did this. I even told him I use a 7.5 with higher kick shaft and what my numbers were, he still did not change from that though. He kept saying going down loft gives you too much side spun, I was like uh I hit my baby cut, so I doubt I get more spin than that. He was not that great of a fitter, he said he came from TM also 3 months ago.

#YumaMade #YTown

I had a chance to hit the Epic Flash Sub Zero today. This report is entirely anecdotal, as I wasn't on a launch monitor. There was about 4 inches of snow on the range and I was hitting under a heated cover. Air temperature was 32 degrees. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, but here goes...

I hit it against my Ping G400 Max digitally lofted at 8.8 degrees. Not sure of what the true specs were on the Epic Flash SZ besides the stated loft of 10.5 degrees. I had a Synergy Black 60tx shaft in the SZ and a Hzrdus T1100 75g 6.5 in my G400 Max. My g400 max head is hot melted to my specs, so I had to add weight to the Epic Flash SZ to get it to the right weight. It goes without saying that the Flash launched way higher, although based on the eye test, it didn't seem to launch that much higher when you factor in the loft and shaft characteristic difference. It was extremely loud and tinny, compared to the muted sound of my hot melted G400 max. I would honestly say it is louder than a non-melted G400 max head. Forgiveness wise, the heads were very similar on mishits. Everything went about where I would expect them to given the quality of strike and my normal tendencies. The Flash felt like it had a larger sweet spot, and given the difference in specs, it did seem to carry further. Although to be fair, I have my max set up to favor a completely different ball flight. Both were straight, with an edge to dispersion on the Max...although to be honest, it wasn't as if I was hitting the flash all over the place either. I definitely hit a few bombs that seemed to go a bit further with the Flash, but it wasn't anything I haven't seen before out of any driver struck perfectly, and I only really had carry to go off of given the snow. I personally found the Flash to be hideous to the eyes (more so the line on the crown instead of the color scheme) and to the ears, but it wasn't unplayable.

The big question is, would I upgrade from my Max? That answer would be an easy no, but only because I'm not sure I can build a club that is straighter and more forgiving for me. If I was upgrading from something that is a few years old and had the choice, then I'd at least consider further head to head testing under better conditions with a launch monitor. The flash is a good head. Maybe not as forgiving dispersion wise than the max, but I think it might have the better sweet spot. I could see it, spec for spec, edging the Max on both carry and total distance with a little bit of trade-off on dispersion. Then again, we're talking marginal gains in both categories favoring either head. Both are top of the line clubs, and I'm sure any golfer would be happy with either head once properly fit. If you're due for an upgrade and already have a solid Callaway tipped shaft that works for you, I think the Flash is the obvious choice. If you favor distance, then I'd choose the Flash. If you favor accuracy and dispersion, then I'd favor the G400 Max. You can't really go wrong with either, and neither one will blow the other out of the water. I know my "test" isn't scientific, but I hope my notes and thoughts are helpful if you're on the fence about trying the new head.

Will this be the biggest driver flop in recent memory?

How many times in multiple threads are you planning on posting this?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Bad news... DD told me Callaway has pushed this release out to 2/8, it will ship then. This was originally scheduled 1/25. Drats....

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Bad news... DD told me Callaway has pushed this release out to 2/8, it will ship then. This was originally scheduled 1/25. Drats....

They pushed the release back a week? Here I was hoping to have this bad boy in hand in a week and a half. Maybe a last minute tweak or just supply issues.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I had a chance to hit the Epic Flash Sub Zero today. This report is entirely anecdotal, as I wasn't on a launch monitor. There was about 4 inches of snow on the range and I was hitting under a heated cover. Air temperature was 32 degrees. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, but here goes...

I hit it against my Ping G400 Max digitally lofted at 8.8 degrees. Not sure of what the true specs were on the Epic Flash SZ besides the stated loft of 10.5 degrees. I had a Synergy Black 60tx shaft in the SZ and a Hzrdus T1100 75g 6.5 in my G400 Max. My g400 max head is hot melted to my specs, so I had to add weight to the Epic Flash SZ to get it to the right weight. It goes without saying that the Flash launched way higher, although based on the eye test, it didn't seem to launch that much higher when you factor in the loft and shaft characteristic difference. It was extremely loud and tinny, compared to the muted sound of my hot melted G400 max. I would honestly say it is louder than a non-melted G400 max head. Forgiveness wise, the heads were very similar on mishits. Everything went about where I would expect them to given the quality of strike and my normal tendencies. The Flash felt like it had a larger sweet spot, and given the difference in specs, it did seem to carry further. Although to be fair, I have my max set up to favor a completely different ball flight. Both were straight, with an edge to dispersion on the Max...although to be honest, it wasn't as if I was hitting the flash all over the place either. I definitely hit a few bombs that seemed to go a bit further with the Flash, but it wasn't anything I haven't seen before out of any driver struck perfectly, and I only really had carry to go off of given the snow. I personally found the Flash to be hideous to the eyes (more so the line on the crown instead of the color scheme) and to the ears, but it wasn't unplayable.

The big question is, would I upgrade from my Max? That answer would be an easy no, but only because I'm not sure I can build a club that is straighter and more forgiving for me. If I was upgrading from something that is a few years old and had the choice, then I'd at least consider further head to head testing under better conditions with a launch monitor. The flash is a good head. Maybe not as forgiving dispersion wise than the max, but I think it might have the better sweet spot. I could see it, spec for spec, edging the Max on both carry and total distance with a little bit of trade-off on dispersion. Then again, we're talking marginal gains in both categories favoring either head. Both are top of the line clubs, and I'm sure any golfer would be happy with either head once properly fit. If you're due for an upgrade and already have a solid Callaway tipped shaft that works for you, I think the Flash is the obvious choice. If you favor distance, then I'd choose the Flash. If you favor accuracy and dispersion, then I'd favor the G400 Max. You can't really go wrong with either, and neither one will blow the other out of the water. I know my "test" isn't scientific, but I hope my notes and thoughts are helpful if you're on the fence about trying the new head.

Great review. I'm kind of in the same boat with my OG Epic. Went to my old faithful Diamana Blue shaft in it about 6 months ago and have never driven the ball better- it's going to take a lot to get that kicked out of the bag.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 10.5 Diamana
3W: EPIC Diamana
5W: EPIC Hzrdus
Callaway Rogue Pro, 50/56/60 TM
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball

They pushed the release back a week? Here I was hoping to have this bad boy in hand in a week and a half. Maybe a last minute tweak or just supply issues.

Probably so they can hot melt all the retail drivers so they stop hearing about how awful it sounds! LOL

Probably so they can hot melt all the retail drivers so they stop hearing about how awful it sounds! LOL

I have not hit the driver yet. But, if the online reviews hold true, it wouldn't hurt if they did.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I have not hit the driver yet. But, if the online reviews hold true, it wouldn't hurt if they did.

I was kidding with my comment, and have no knowledge of whether they would delay launch to do that, but they need to. That sound is the reason I'm dropping down from my staff account this year to play and sell something else.

I was kidding with my comment, and have no knowledge of whether they would delay launch to do that, but they need to. That sound is the reason I'm dropping down from my staff account this year to play and sell something else.

That's crazy. I suppose, get on staff and promote something you know you'll have a better chance of selling. What OEM are you going with?

I know you were joking, but I'm not going to lie. I was hoping it was something like that in the back of my mind.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

That's crazy. I suppose, get on staff and promote something you know you'll have a better chance of selling. What OEM are you going with?

I know you were joking, but I'm not going to lie. I was hoping it was something like that in the back of my mind.

Not quite decided yet, but leaning TM or Srixon. If I had not received so much negative customer feedback from the regulars that have hit my Flash over the last couple of months I might would have stayed with it. But oh well, I'm sure the sound will be the improved feature next year. After all, if this "AI"/supercomputer has worked through 15,000+ designs with our current materials science and USGA limitations and truly gone 34 years into the future with face design, then there's literally nothing else that can be improved on for next year performance wise. So sound will have to be it.

Not quite decided yet, but leaning TM or Srixon. If I had not received so much negative customer feedback from the regulars that have hit my Flash over the last couple of months I might would have stayed with it. But oh well, I'm sure the sound will be the improved feature next year. After all, if this "AI"/supercomputer has worked through 15,000+ designs with our current materials science and USGA limitations and truly gone 34 years into the future with face design, then there's literally nothing else that can be improved on for next year performance wise. So sound will have to be it.

Go Srixon. Pull for the little guy. Awesome irons, awesome balls, and I hear the drivers are pretty sweet too.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I've played with this for the last few days and I am lost on all the sound comments. I think it sounds muted compared to other driver I have heard. For me it's the total package with distance,feel and dispersion. The biggest thing for me is how far my miss hits are going and staying in play. Home run for Callaway.

Cobra’s line up is $$$ this year. Just saying

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I've played with this for the last few days and I am lost on all the sound comments. I think it sounds muted compared to other driver I have heard. For me it's the total package with distance,feel and dispersion. The biggest thing for me is how far my miss hits are going and staying in play. Home run for Callaway.

I hit the sub zero Saturday, and it is definitely not a “muted” sound. It is loud! However, it did seem to perform. The shape of the sub zero is beautiful, but I still hate the color scheme and the line on the crown.

Muted?? What other drivers have you heard? It's clearly the loudest of the upcoming generation, and it's not even a close contest.

Cobra's line up is $$$ this year. Just saying

Cobra wouldn't sell here. Haven't seen a Cobra club in any of my members/regulars bags in YEARS. And in talking with others in the industry, I honestly have no idea how they stay in business.

Hit this vs the Ping G400 LST, both with the Smoke X shaft. I had a small handful of low spin bombs with the Sub Zero but was hard for me to replicate. Also hard for me to tell by feel and sound where I was hitting on the face, kind of odd. The longest hits were a bit longer than the Ping by a few yards but I was more consistent with the Ping so my avg was longer with it. Guess I'll be sticking with the G400 for awhile.