2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

John Daly epic flash

That top looks night and day better than the retail version. It’s a shame you can not order one that looks like JDs.

The images on this site show the sub zero without the line but the standard with line.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/01/04/golf-clubs-bag-callaway-epic-flash-driver-wood-details.amp.html

When you look on Callys site, it is showing the SZ version with the line. Hopefully they offer it in a Udesign version.

Yes they should offer both. A damn shame if they don’t.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Arias Zero Offset 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

On Order: Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I played today with a guy who is on staff with Callaway, and he had the regular Flash in the bag. I did not find the sound to be anything that stood out at all. I didn’t hit it, as it was the wrong loft, shaft, and most likely the wrong head, and I don’t really know the guy well. But it put to bed any worries I had about the sound.

Why are you looking at drivers!?

I want to miss greens from closer

I can’t imagine this is any longer than the Epic your playing now.

Probably more forgiving and consistent across the face though. Maybe higher launching with lower spin too as seen in the reviews online.

You could go through any of these driver Pre-Release threads and say the same thing to anyone who is planning on buying a new driver.

Wasn’t really trying to hate on this new Callaway driver, we had played the day before and he’s hitting the epic SZ as long as possible based on SS in my opinion, longer than I’ve ever seen him hit it and it’s 40* outside.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Wasn’t really trying to hate on this new Callaway driver, we had played the day before and he’s hitting the epic SZ as long as possible based on SS in my opinion, longer than I’ve ever seen him hit it and it’s 40* outside.

Lol, my bad. Hard to interpret things over the internet.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I played a round with my ATMOS Epic GBB, it was cold, p*ssing rain here in Los Angeles and I still drove my combo really well.

But I am such a driver ho, so last night I placed an order for the Epic Flash Sub Zero, Hzrdus Smoke 6.5 and D3 with the shorter length with DD (GOd I luv those guys). Can't wait and I have sometime SOLID to compare against.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Wasn't really trying to hate on this new Callaway driver, we had played the day before and he's hitting the epic SZ as long as possible based on SS in my opinion, longer than I've ever seen him hit it and it's 40* outside.

I've had the SZ for two full seasons, and haven't so much as messed with the shaft -- It seems unnatural to not at least experiment with some other options a little.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I hit the new Flash SZ today, was not overly impressed....

I was just hitting into a net, and crap balls, but that sound and feel..... I will test again outside, but this thing will have to blow my epic out of the water to consider. My buddy felt the same (plays Epic SZ).

Apex hybrid, hot, ball jumps off the face, feels fantastic, could probably replace fwy wood. We did not have numbers, but agreed never hit a hybrid like that. Winner here.

I did not hit irons, but satin finish on standard looks way better.

I may own a Stroke Lab Tuttle flow neck.

All of this was inside with crap balls into nets, so take with a grain of salt. The Apex hybrid and 919F did feel great with the same balls though.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I was just hitting into a net, and crap balls, but that sound and feel..... I will test again outside, but this thing will have to blow my epic out of the water to consider. My buddy felt the same (plays Epic SZ).

Apex hybrid, hot, ball jumps off the face, feels fantastic, could probably replace fwy wood. We did not have numbers, but agreed never hit a hybrid like that. Winner here.

All of this was inside with crap balls into nets, so take with a grain of salt. The Apex hybrid and 919F did feel great with the same balls though.

Sound and feel...bad or good to your ear?

Any insight as to when the new Toulon models will be available in the Garage for customization?

not good, and my buddy said the same. I don't know how to explain that sound.

I will test again outside in the spring, but my Epic is sitting in the bag saying, come on take my spot......

oh, I guess the term now is "come at me bro"....lol

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Any insight as to when the new Toulon models will be available in the Garage for customization?

not good, and my buddy said the same. I don't know how to explain that sound.

I will test again outside in the spring, but my Epic is sitting in the bag saying, come on take my spot......

oh, I guess the term now is "come at me bro"....lol

Just personal curiosity, since I've said similar and some people have wondered if it's just mine, or just the SZ model, etc. If the one you hit sounds anything like mine, and you like the sound/feel of the original Epic, I think it's almost impossible to like the sound/feel of the Flash SZ.

You may be right. Unless something is drastically different with a premium ball and outdoors, I am not sure I could do it.

I love my Epic, and it looks so clean after Continental.

Oh well, can maybe buy a Toulon now.....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Xander just won with it in the bag and was piping it. Woodland was bombing it too but with I believe G400.

Xander hit a drive that was 185 MPH, 7 MPH over his 2018 max ball speed. Impressive.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I want to like it, looks great at address. They sure sound different on TV, probably all hot-melted, or maybe they are playing the standard head?

I still want to test on course.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Xander just won with it in the bag and was piping it. Woodland was bombing it too but with I believe G400.

Good, powerful golf swings hit the ball really far no matter what driver is used.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

I want to like it, looks great at address. They sure sound different on TV, probably all hot-melted, or maybe they are playing the standard head?

I still want to test on course.

There are two tour only versions out there. The single and double diamond. Maybe the sound is something they addressed with those two tour heads. Of course, as usual, they aren't available to us mere mortals.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Or is there a 3rd sub zero tour head.....Sergio’s has 3.....dun dun dun

Lol, they really are turning into the TM of old. The pros aren't even playing the same club as us. By design. Not just specific specs.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Lol, they really are turning into the TM of old. The pros aren't even playing the same club as us. By design. Not just specific specs.

Well to be fair I’m sure there are not a lot of people on this earth that need the special specs that Sergio or another pga tour golfer needs.

Well to be fair I’m sure there are not a lot of people on this earth that need the special specs that Sergio or another pga tour golfer needs.

I don't know what specs they could have on the club that differentiates it much performance wise. These heads are already really low spin with a lot of forgiveness. Maybe the MOI is less and it's more workable. I don't honestly know.

But, I myself was hoping for a really compact design. Like 815DBD. The Flash SZ isn't that. Now I find out it exists, but unavailable to me. Not bitter by any means. Just irritated.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Several reviews suggest they aren't as low spin as earlier models but that will vary by player.

To answer the sound question, the pros often hot melt to get a desired sound so it could be a regular head with some work done to it. I know if I bought one that would be the first thing that would need fixed. Thankfully I have a nice supply of 815 DBD that work just fine and a new 510 TP that's going to go for some rides.

I've had the Epic Flash in my bag, along with the fairway woods and been playing them since December 5th. They are for real!

Unless Phil stands for Phil Mickelson I call BS.

Yes, he has. WRX is not the only golf forum. Many members elsewhere have the new stuff and been under the embargo. I call BS on you! I am so tired of the snarky responses to an honest opinion or responses. Whatever happened to sharing information. Listen and learn.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I've had the Epic Flash in my bag, along with the fairway woods and been playing them since December 5th. They are for real!

Yes, he has. WRX is not the only golf forum. Many members elsewhere have the new stuff and been under the embargo. I call BS on you! I am so tired of the snarky responses to an honest opinion or responses. Whatever happened to sharing information. Listen and learn.

Some people don’t care about other forums that have a heavy bias towards a brand (regardless of who the brand is) so it’s quite possible the person wasn’t aware that another forum has an all expense pause trip where it’s mrmbers received a full bag of gear.

First win of the year goes to the new callaway and The Xander zone. Leishman played well with it as well. And Fran the pasta man, the champion golfer of 2018 who can play any driver he pleases, switched to the Flash after the best year of his life. To all the people with rabbit ears, it's a shame you wont play the best driver on the market because your hearing aids are turned up too loud. Now get off my lawn

Some people don’t care about other forums that have a heavy bias towards a brand (regardless of who the brand is) so it’s quite possible the person wasn’t aware that another forum has an all expense pause trip where it’s mrmbers received a full bag of gear.

Nobody ask him what he thought of the product! That’s my point, no one ask him his opinion of it, they just said it was BS that he even had it!

We used to get full bags of product with OEM trips on this site too. Go back and read the threads from 5 years ago from #insideTMAG and Callawrx.

My point is, people on this forum used to share info, share opinions.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

First win of the year goes to the new callaway and The Xander zone. Leishman played well with it as well. And Fran the pasta man, the champion golfer of 2018 who can play any driver he pleases, switched to the Flash after the best year of his life. To all the people with rabbit ears, it's a shame you wont play the best driver on the market because your hearing aids are turned up too loud. Now get off my lawn

They could be playing one of the three tour only versions. They may sound absolutely nothing like the retail version.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Cant we all just cave and agree the sound is terrible. Most every review says it. Check this one out at the 2:40 mark.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Nobody ask him what he thought of the product! That’s my point, no one ask him his opinion of it, they just said it was BS that he even had it!

We used to get full bags of product with OEM trips on this site too. Go back and read the threads from 5 years ago from #insideTMAG and Callawrx.

And people still share them and they are largely unbiased. There’s nothing wrong with someone calling bs on something that isn’t released yet when another person claims they have had something since a certain date. Phil also never answered the ones who were asking how other than to one about being in the industry which he said he wasn’t.

Edit: he provided his feedback and there were people along his opinion on his experience.

Cant we all just cave and agree the sound is terrible. Most every review says it. Check this one out at the 2:40 mark.

I refuse!!! I'll hold my judgement until I hit it at least. It's very subjective. But, I will admit, the amount of negative feedback regarding the sound is concerning.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Very true. This website was great with info and people were very helpful. There was a guy here that posted tons of witb until he go so fed up he left. Definitely not the same place as it was a few years ago. I rarely post here now. Curious which site they went to. You can pm me this info :)

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag