2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

I've had the Epic Flash in my bag, along with the fairway woods and been playing them since December 5th. They are for real!

Probably should do a Full disclosure statement that you got them for free from another forum full expense paid trip/event

I don't know. With how few have actually hit it, I welcome info from any perspective at this point. It isn't a grand conspiracy. He is here sharing information, why would he have to disclose the fact that he got the equipment for free? Do you not value his opinion because of that? What about the Callaway staffers that have shared their experience? Should we just write their opinion off because they got the club for free? They have done those trips in the past here too. I think 2016 was the last? Just because they went on a trip didn't skew them towards Callaway. MtlJeff was on that trip and I think he has been as far from partial as I have seen. Knudson who is now a mod here went on one of these trips in 2013 I believe. There are a plethora of others too.

Not saying perspective is bad but when someone comes in and says they played clubs since a certain date which is a month before embargo and talks about how good they are and then is questioned on actually having played them that long and/or asked by others how he got them he should be honest with how they were acquired. Many in here who had the chance to test or play them stated how they came about it.

There are many that can give unbiased feedback but it helps to know where a person is coming from and there times there is a bias when receiving free gear and a free trip it’s hard to separate that bias.

I've had the Epic Flash in my bag, along with the fairway woods and been playing them since December 5th. They are for real!

Probably should do a Full disclosure statement that you got them for free from another forum full expense paid trip/event

I don't know. With how few have actually hit it, I welcome info from any perspective at this point. It isn't a grand conspiracy. He is here sharing information, why would he have to disclose the fact that he got the equipment for free? Do you not value his opinion because of that? What about the Callaway staffers that have shared their experience? Should we just write their opinion off because they got the club for free? They have done those trips in the past here too. I think 2016 was the last? Just because they went on a trip didn't skew them towards Callaway. MtlJeff was on that trip and I think he has been as far from partial as I have seen. Knudson who is now a mod here went on one of these trips in 2013 I believe. There are a plethora of others too.

Not saying perspective is bad but when someone comes in and says they played clubs since a certain date which is a month before embargo and talks about how good they are and then is questioned on actually having played them that long and/or asked by others how he got them he should be honest with how they were acquired. Many in here who had the chance to test or play them stated how they came about it.

There are many that can give unbiased feedback but it helps to know where a person is coming from and there times there is a bias when receiving free gear and a free trip it's hard to separate that bias.

I guess the difference is that he didn't share any information about them (at least that I am aware of) until now. I guess I didn't see any questions where he lied or mislead anyone on how he came about the clubs.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

From what I have heard on the videos, the sound is nothing like what the Ping G30 was. That being said I played baseball growing up so don't mind the aluminum bat sound.

Excited to try the Epic Flash SZ and looks like it will be competition between that, the TS3, and the new 0311X to try and unseat my tour issue Epic SZ.

Never even put 2 & 2 together, but I think this is an excellent summation as to why I give 2 craps about sound.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I find it funny that he hasn’t learned by now that we’re just a motley group of jaded a******* with loyalty to no brands. Given some of the equipment reviews I have given on here I have no idea how I get picked sometimes to review new equipment, yet they do.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Just watched Crossfield's review against my better judgement. Actually very impressed with his take on it and he had some very interesting results with contact off center. It seems that he attempts to make contact off center to the toe side. So, what I take away is the fact that his speeds seem to be pretty consistent off the center of the face.

Anyways, worth a look.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Unfortunately I tend to agree about the disclosure. It’s not the same as shelling out you hard earned dollars and most have drunken the rose bowl (insert nickname for same) already.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Arias Zero Offset 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

On Order: Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I played today with a guy who is on staff with Callaway, and he had the regular Flash in the bag. I did not find the sound to be anything that stood out at all. I didn’t hit it, as it was the wrong loft, shaft, and most likely the wrong head, and I don’t really know the guy well. But it put to bed any worries I had about the sound.

One note to add, he was probably swinging around 100 mph.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Custom color options are going to be awesome!

Does anyone know if you can delete the crown color accents and line up mark on the custom program?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

I hit the sub zero version today. Full disclosure, I have no brand loyalty at all. My bag is filled with a mixture of clubs. I’m sure I’ll be in the minority here but I wasn’t a fan at all. I had a buddy who plays the epic sz and he hated it too. I hit it side by side with the G400 LST, M3 440 and an Epic. Honestly it was my least favorite of the 4. It was loud and had a thinner feel. When hit with the same shaft in the epic there was no distance gain. Obviously this was a very non scientific test as I just demoed it in the range and played some holes with it on course but I was not a fan. I’m sure it’s everything and more as advertised for most of you but it just didn’t work for me.

I played today with a guy who is on staff with Callaway, and he had the regular Flash in the bag. I did not find the sound to be anything that stood out at all. I didn’t hit it, as it was the wrong loft, shaft, and most likely the wrong head, and I don’t really know the guy well. But it put to bed any worries I had about the sound.

Why are you looking at drivers!?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I usually can’t jiudge sound via video. It does not sound great on video but will sound different live. I did not care for the sound or feel of the original Epic, but I do like the shape of the Flash SZ. Nice look from address and not so stretched back.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I want to miss greens from closer

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The back sliding weight on Epic Flash Sub-Zero is a 12 gm, but what's the front weight? Anyone?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I usually can't jiudge sound via video. It does not sound great on video but will sound different live. I did not care for the sound or feel of the original Epic, but I do like the shape of the Flash SZ. Nice look from address and not so stretched back.

Sound is so subjective. We are a Callaway account. Our pro has the Epic Flash SZ. with a Diamana Whiteboard. That's been his favorite shaft for some time. I asked his impressions and how he liked it. He said the distance was great but he said he hated the sound and wan't sure he was going to keep it in the bag. I asked him to come to the first tee and hit a couple so I could see the ball flight and hear what it sounded like. As he wan't busy he said he would be glad to. The first hole was open so he brought a couple of balls(2018 Callaway Chrome Soft X) and the driver to the first tee. Tee'd them up and hit two lasers up the middle of the fairway. After hitting them he said," see what I mean. it sounds so tinny!". To me they sounded dead solid and about as far from "tinny" as I could imagine. I didn't mention my impression to him. Just thanked him for demo'ing it for me. I'm a lefty so I couldn’t try it myself. We'll see how I feel about when I can actually try one myself. To me it is a very good looking driver. I will say that.

I hit the sub zero version today. Full disclosure, I have no brand loyalty at all. My bag is filled with a mixture of clubs. I’m sure I’ll be in the minority here but I wasn’t a fan at all. I had a buddy who plays the epic sz and he hated it too. I hit it side by side with the G400 LST, M3 440 and an Epic. Honestly it was my least favorite of the 4. It was loud and had a thinner feel. When hit with the same shaft in the epic there was no distance gain. Obviously this was a very non scientific test as I just demoed it in the range and played some holes with it on course but I was not a fan. I’m sure it’s everything and more as advertised for most of you but it just didn’t work for me.

Agree on the sound and the center strike was equal distance. Its was the slightly off center shot that boosted total distance averages without funky drop offs. It's odd you said it didn't work tho? Did you not get it off the ground or able to hit it? I also like a smaller head so the ones you compared it with may have suited your eye more. I promise if you got it on the qaud or scope outside and compared all decent strikes the numbers would surprise you, not shock but adjust your narrative. Visually....well there's always a a chance a 440 stealth tour v2 comes out:)

I got to hit the range with the standard flash last night with junk range balls. My swing speed is 98-105 with the driver. It was not loud for me at all. A quite thud with the stock tensei blue av. My g400 max with tensei orange pro was much louder. I thought the standard flash was almost to quite. Now I think balls, the shaft and maybe how this new head is designed all have an impact on sound. And if you are hitting something louder during testing.

Ive honestly have never liked Callaway drivers. Just didnt fit me well. I didnt like it at 1st either. Had the 10.5 head set to standard. Everything was just a fade. I adjusted it to +1, d, and it just became a different club. Longer, better flight and better dispersion. Play with the settings!!!

At the standard sets I was thinking this cant touch my g400, after changing them I think I could put it in the bag. But I want to test the tm stuff and the g410 before that. I'd probably order the black painted head because I dont like the green.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I can't wait to hear how they are going to market this. Guy at my local shop said he hit one the rep brought by. He said the rep was really playing up the fact that this driver was designed with the help of Ai technology.

Hahahaha! If you want to sell anything these days just use the words AI, blockchain, machine learning, Watson, or robotics design.

All complete and utter BS but fits with the same BS marketing spin of “jailbreak technology”.

I got to hit the range with the standard flash last night with junk range balls. My swing speed is 98-105 with the driver. It was not loud for me at all. A quite thud with the stock tensei blue av. My g400 max with tensei orange pro was much louder. I thought the standard flash was almost to quite. Now I think balls, the shaft and maybe how this new head is designed all have an impact on sound. And if you are hitting something louder during testing.

Ive honestly have never liked Callaway drivers. Just didnt fit me well. I didnt like it at 1st either. Had the 10.5 head set to standard. Everything was just a fade. I adjusted it to +1, d, and it just became a different club. Longer, better flight and better dispersion. Play with the settings!!!

At the standard sets I was thinking this cant touch my g400, after changing them I think I could put it in the bag. But I want to test the tm stuff and the g410 before that. I'd probably order the black painted head because I dont like the green.

I’ve seen it, haven’t hit it but the green looks terrible. Cheesy

Rick Shiels is only seeing about a 1mph gain over the Rogue, not the 4-5 that has been hyped up

That's still 1.5 mph more gain than he saw with Taylormade

This... they are only touting 1-3 mph ball speed gains.

So if a face is causing that then it is impressive.

I for one believe, guys/gals with 110+ won't see massive jumps like ones with marginal swing speeds to even slight above average

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Rick Shiels is only seeing about a 1mph gain over the Rogue, not the 4-5 that has been hyped up

That's still 1.5 mph more gain than he saw with Taylormade

This... they are only touting 1-3 mph ball speed gains.

So if a face is causing that then it is impressive.

I for one believe, guys/gals with 110+ won't see massive jumps like ones with marginal swing speeds to even slight above average

120 speed here and saw plus 2 on my ball speed. Just above center ballspeed.

It’s incredible the hype offered for 1.5 MPH or 3 yards added to most people’s drives. I wonder with today’s media and marketing how we would have responded to the switch from persimmon to metal drivers 25 years ago.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I can't wait to hear how they are going to market this. Guy at my local shop said he hit one the rep brought by. He said the rep was really playing up the fact that this driver was designed with the help of Ai technology.

Hahahaha! If you want to sell anything these days just use the words AI, blockchain, machine learning, Watson, or robotics design.

All complete and utter BS but fits with the same BS marketing spin of “jailbreak technology”.

I work in the computer industry and can speak to the fact that a lot of our customers are buying servers for the specific purpose of AI/Machine Learning. Buying large clusters of servers dedicated for their processing. It has applications in many fields.

Is it so ridiculous to think that they couldn't have used that technology to calculate and test out face designs?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I’ve seen it, haven’t hit it but the green looks terrible. Cheesy

I didnt like the green at all.

After watching some videos it does sound like the sz is a lot louder then the standard.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I can’t imagine this is any longer than the Epic your playing now.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I can’t imagine this is any longer than the Epic your playing now.

Probably more forgiving and consistent across the face though. Maybe higher launching with lower spin too as seen in the reviews online.

You could go through any of these driver Pre-Release threads and say the same thing to anyone who is planning on buying a new driver.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X