2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

Seeing some ballspeed increases over my rogue SZ. Mainly on mishits. But when I catch one good my numbers are pretty much optimal for my liking.

Gotta love the age of 102 MPH SS and hitting it 290!

Carry looks right,, but 25 yards of roll??

It’s called the normalized feature of trackman. Makes conditions to what ever you have programmed. Good numbers normalized tho.....

Seeing some ballspeed increases over my rogue SZ. Mainly on mishits. But when I catch one good my numbers are pretty much optimal for my liking.

Gotta love the age of 102 MPH SS and hitting it 290!

Carry looks right,, but 25 yards of roll??

It’s called the normalized feature of trackman. Makes conditions to what ever you have programmed. Good numbers normalized tho.....

25 yards isn’t a lot. Think about 25 yards on a football field. The ball takes one or two 7 yard bounces then trundles a few more? Not unrealistic. Depends more on the pitch of the fairway.

It's amazing that companies can make woods any sort of forgiving with that much wasted weight in their adapters

Agree, Callaway is the worst in terms of chunkiness. Ping was, imho, the best but they have gone to another iteration with the G410 (which I am not happy since I was keeping an ATMOS shaft with the olf G400/G adapter and now it's useless unless I pull it).

However, to Callaway's credit (for good and bad), they kept the same adapter for the Epic Flash driver. Good thing as well, don't want to kill your old Epic and Rogue customers who enjoy their shaft. I remember when Cobra switched their adapters for the new Bio lines and that made me swore off Cobra drivers and haven't even bought any Cobra drivers since.

The thing about the Callaway adapter I like most is the ability to keep the shaft orientation the same as you adjust the adapter.

Yeah, I like that as well, that's pretty sweet when compared to Ping or TM. I think Titleist has the same as well like Callaway.

But...may be it's just me, but I do notice the odd, random "creek" noise that comes from the adapter should I put a vertical force on it, like have my palm push down with the driver head on the ground and the club vertical (you know, just standing there). Never figured why it does that and haven't seen any posts on this afaik. Legit Callaway adapter too and I notice this on the Rogue and both my Epics (SZ and GBB).

[Very happy to hear this. My miss is high toe and hit some of my best and longest drives with epic SZ high toe.

I asked this pages back earlier but one could reply & perhaps this is a Callaway Q&A type question - if the super computer designed the face, did it build the middle of the face as the most optimal strike zone? Right now, the rule of thumb is that upper part of the head and slightly toe-side of center is the optimal part to strike the ball (gear effect etc).

Even looking at the back of the Epic Flash face with the contours (presumed designed by the AI), it very much looks like dead middle of the face is the optimal now. Be interested to see those who have hit it can see any difference between a middle face strike versus the higher/toe side strikes.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Anyone know if the Flash will be offered in 13.5* like their other drivers ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Not a fan of Callaway gear and that line is a cheap knock off from Tm and another reason I won’t be buying

Lol, I have to ask, in what way is this a cheap knock off of TaylorMade?

They are using the line as a way to add contrast on the face like TM has done with the M line but they don’t want to/can’t be seen having the two tone crown so they have used this line to imitate it. It looks ridiculous imo

I see what you’re saying. I guess I’m just of the opinion that I want to wait and see what their official take on the line ends up being. To us on the outside looking in, all we can do is try to compare what we see in pics to what is already on the market. Once we get the inside scoop our assumptions might be way off.

You need them to tell you?

Not a fan of Callaway gear and that line is a cheap knock off from Tm and another reason I won’t be buying

Lol, I have to ask, in what way is this a cheap knock off of TaylorMade?

They are using the line as a way to add contrast on the face like TM has done with the M line but they don’t want to/can’t be seen having the two tone crown so they have used this line to imitate it. It looks ridiculous imo

I see what you’re saying. I guess I’m just of the opinion that I want to wait and see what their official take on the line ends up being. To us on the outside looking in, all we can do is try to compare what we see in pics to what is already on the market. Once we get the inside scoop our assumptions might be way off.

You need them to tell you?

I was told the tour pros wanted the line on the driver. That’s why it’s there.

Or did the marketing department tell someone to day that? I know what my money is on.

It's amazing that companies can make woods any sort of forgiving with that much wasted weight in their adapters

Agree, Callaway is the worst in terms of chunkiness. Ping was, imho, the best but they have gone to another iteration with the G410 (which I am not happy since I was keeping an ATMOS shaft with the olf G400/G adapter and now it's useless unless I pull it).

However, to Callaway's credit (for good and bad), they kept the same adapter for the Epic Flash driver. Good thing as well, don't want to kill your old Epic and Rogue customers who enjoy their shaft. I remember when Cobra switched their adapters for the new Bio lines and that made me swore off Cobra drivers and haven't even bought any Cobra drivers since.

The thing about the Callaway adapter I like most is the ability to keep the shaft orientation the same as you adjust the adapter.

Yeah, I like that as well, that's pretty sweet when compared to Ping or TM. I think Titleist has the same as well like Callaway.

But...may be it's just me, but I do notice the odd, random "creek" noise that comes from the adapter should I put a vertical force on it, like have my palm push down with the driver head on the ground and the club vertical (you know, just standing there). Never figured why it does that and haven't seen any posts on this afaik. Legit Callaway adapter too and I notice this on the Rogue and both my Epics (SZ and GBB).

[Very happy to hear this. My miss is high toe and hit some of my best and longest drives with epic SZ high toe.

I asked this pages back earlier but one could reply & perhaps this is a Callaway Q&A type question - if the super computer designed the face, did it build the middle of the face as the most optimal strike zone? Right now, the rule of thumb is that upper part of the head and slightly toe-side of center is the optimal part to strike the ball (gear effect etc).

Even looking at the back of the Epic Flash face with the contours (presumed designed by the AI), it very much looks like dead middle of the face is the optimal now. Be interested to see those who have hit it can see any difference between a middle face strike versus the higher/toe side strikes.

That would be an interesting change and would benefit those that like the dead center sweet spot.

early tmag reviews are a little meh.. When are we going to see the epic flash reviews?

The TM embargo lift has me antsy for the Callaway embargo. Anyone know when we can expect to get official info from Callaway on these?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Hit the new Epic Flash....wow!

Maybe the best driver i've ever looked at from address. Great sound off the club face and looooooong.

- KC

Driver - Titleist TSi3 (8 degree)

3W - TaylorMade M2 (15 degree)

Hybrids - Adams Pro (18, 20 degree)

Irons - Ping i59 (4-P)

Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 (52 degree)

Titleist Vokey SM7 (58 degree)

Putter - Odyssey Marxman WH XG (Broomstick) 

Maybe the best driver i've ever looked at from address. Great sound off the club face and looooooong.

- KC

Did you hit it on a launch monitor or on the range? Any #'s or comparison to your gamer?

I did hit it on the launch monitor and it was the Subzero model (Epic SZ 9° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.5). Caveat, I didn't really get fitted for the driver as I hit it more out of curiosity after my iron fitting.

I cant remember the exact ball speed but my swing speed is around 107 mph and I was carrying over 275 yards. Rolled out just around 300 yards....

So the technology with this head from what I am told is, if you mishit it off the toe or heal, the new face technology wont allow you to lose ball speed. The ball speed off the face is supposed to be consistent off all angles of the face. Callaway rep explained they spent $12 million on some machine to create such technology. Don't fully understand it but felt really great.

- KC

Irons - Ping i59 (4-P)

- KC

Did you hit it on a launch monitor or on the range? Any #'s or comparison to your gamer?

I did hit it on the launch monitor and it was the Subzero model (Epic SZ 9° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.5). Caveat, I didn't really get fitted for the driver as I hit it more out of curiosity after my iron fitting.

I cant remember the exact ball speed but my swing speed is around 107 mph and I was carrying over 275 yards. Rolled out just around 300 yards....

So the technology with this head from what I am told is, if you mishit it off the toe or heal, the new face technology wont allow you to lose ball speed. The ball speed off the face is supposed to be consistent off all angles of the face. Callaway rep explained they spent $12 million on some machine to create such technology. Don't fully understand it but felt really great.

- KC

Where there any shots that you obviously mishit by an inch or so from the center and still got close to 275y carry and 300y total?

- KC

- KC

Where there any shots that you obviously mishit by an inch or so from the center and still got close to 275y carry and 300y total?

Yes actually, my first swing with the Epic Flash was a heel shot that still got out there. Bad swing on my part but feel short of the shots to follow id say 10-15 yards.

I'd obviously need more testing to unequivocally confirm such a question. I think there are a lot of variables in the golf swing and more often than not, I look at performance on good shots.

- KC

Irons - Ping i59 (4-P)

early tmag reviews are a little meh.. When are we going to see the epic flash reviews?

The TM embargo lift has me antsy for the Callaway embargo. Anyone know when we can expect to get official info from Callaway on these?

I expect tomorrow.

I believe Callaway is tomorrow. I think I they have some big event planned for it and my guess is they are going to push the tech behind the face and using the supercomputer. Probably something like what cobra did for the Ltd release

I believe Callaway is tomorrow. I think I they have some big event planned for it and my guess is they are going to push the tech behind the face and using the supercomputer. Probably something like what cobra did for the Ltd release

I think that would be cool... while the Epic Flash was nowhere near the hype of the original Epic, I for one, am glad that no one got fired (as far as we know) and the many pretty decent pictures here and there were allowed - all creating a nice buzz (good or bad) for the Epic Flash.

I for one, look forward to this Epic Flash, can't wait to place the order for the Sub Zero Epic Flash with the sliding rear weight. Yes :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

(Foot tapping)...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Most embarrassing “release video” ever. Where did they find the misplaced presenters? The guy in grey shirt is just the wrong person at the wrong place. When Michelle Wie enters to talk about “Stroke Lab” putters he goes “everybody gets to hug Michelle” and “when I talk to you Michelle I feel like I need to stand on a box” What a dork!

I need to have a pillow in front of me to hide my face from time to time, but I gave it 15mins and they still haven’t started talk about irons or drivers yet.

Edit: Harry Arnett - Callaway Marketing guy is apparently the guy (that continues to embarrass himself).

Edit 2: Anyone notices how much harder Aaron did the second swing? ?