Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

When's the release date for this and how much?

2/1/19. $529.99

Cally - $529

TM - $549

PXG - $575

What is going on?!?!?

Capitalism...

More like GREED and stupidity (to think they will sell that many drivers at those ridiculous prices).

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

2/1/19. $529.99

Cally - $529

TM - $549

PXG - $575

What is going on?!?!?

Capitalism...

More like GREED and stupidity (to think they will sell that many drivers at those ridiculous prices).

Well the great thing about capitalism is that if what you say is true then they’ll find out real quick and be forced to revisit their pricing. It’s a win win for everyone!

2/1/19. $529.99

Cally - $529

TM - $549

PXG - $575

What is going on?!?!?

Capitalism...

Costs rise. They went up $30 from last year. Could easily be an increase in manufacturing costs. Companies aren't charities. If there wasn't money to be made, they wouldn't be in business. The Epic sold like mad at $500. Do you think someone who was willing to drop 5 bills on a golf club would blink to throw in another $30?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

2/1/19. $529.99

Cally - $529

TM - $549

PXG - $575

What is going on?!?!?

Capitalism...

A company can’t sell a driver at the same price forever and in a strong economy. At the very least, inflation drives prices up. Callaway had to rent some supercomputer with AI for the Epic Flash and that can’t be cheap. I think they should have incorporated AI into the name of the driver though.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Other than being the first with new toys, I never understood buying brand new equipment at release prices, it seems like a fools move financially and intellectually.

If I was getting it at cost or to use and review that's one thing, but I will let some other sucker potentially lose money while they sort out the kinks for us on the forum.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Other than being the first with new toys, I never understood buying brand new equipment at release prices, it seems like a fools move financially and intellectually.

If I was getting it at cost or to use and review that's one thing, but I will let some other sucker potentially lose money while they sort out the kinks for us on the forum.

Some people just like having the newest and greatest. I usually wait till all the reviews but sometimes I’m just a sucker

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

What kinks need to be worked out ok a golf club that would cost anyone money? Also, if no one bought new ones, there wouldn't be any used inventory to be had for those that like to wait such as yourself.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I need to see it in person but right now that white line on top looks like the crown got cracked.

Was told it was on purpose design. To mimick the m series color break line. Apparently it’s a tour players observation and common like of the m series. The line for alignment. I. An see that my self too after they mention it. Sure frames the ball

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What kinks need to be worked out ok a golf club that would cost anyone money? Also, if no one bought new ones, there wouldn't be any used inventory to be had for those that like to wait such as yourself.

Usual have to wait 6 months to save $50. Only way to come out on that logic is buy a whole model year behind.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

By kinks, I mean club tendencies over time. What are the consistent performance characteristics of the club? Does it have a fade/draw bias? Low/high spin. Only works well with particular shafts or swing types.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

By kinks, I mean club tendencies over time. What are the consistent performance characteristics of the club? Does it have a fade/draw bias? Low/high spin. Only works well with particular shafts or swing types.

Go to a demo day or a fitting upon release and o e can figure that all out.

Have you never been fitted? I can do all that in an hour in a bay, and find it out for my exact swing, as opposed to taking others' word and basing their experiences off a swing that may not even come close to mimicking mine.

Club characteristics generally don't change over time. It's not like these companies are doing a half-model year refresh. If someone wants to pay full price, they can get it right the first time if they do it the right way.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

2/1/19. $529.99

Cally - $529

TM - $549

PXG - $575

What is going on?!?!?

Capitalism...

Without capitalism you wouldn’t even have these choices

2/1/19. $529.99

Cally - $529

TM - $549

PXG - $575

What is going on?!?!?

Capitalism...

Without capitalism you wouldn’t even have these choices

Anyone have any insight yet into what the difference(s?) between the 3 SZ models is?

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

All these club pros have it and no one can throw it on track man?

Thought Ollie did and claimed 4mph or something in ballspeed.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My buddy is a club pro here in MA and on Callaway Staff. He got the flash head sent to him

He plays the Epic currently. He liked it better then the Rogue which sat in his garage. Hes not a high spin guy so does not need the sub zero versions

Long story short he said he will be sticking with his Epic. Saw no gains with the Flash and said he hated the sound.

Thought Ollie did and claimed 4mph or something in ballspeed.

4 MPH is not really the truth. I misspoke on this point earlier. He’s hitting the ball at fast as he hit it with the Flash in November as he did on a hot summer day with his Rogue. We don’t know summer numbers yet.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

My buddy is a club pro here in MA and on Callaway Staff. He got the flash head sent to him

He plays the Epic currently. He liked it better then the Rogue which sat in his garage. Hes not a high spin guy so does not need the sub zero versions

Long story short he said he will be sticking with his Epic. Saw no gains with the Flash and said he hated the sound.

I'm thinking the sound with this driver is definitely going to be a polarizing issue. As I've said (I think in this thread, there are a few going about Callaway), I can't adjust to the sound of mine. Haven't even taken it out on the course the past week or so, and it will not be going into rotation. There are way too many better sounding drivers available now that perform just as good. There are plenty of golfers out there that don't pay attention to sound, or even like a loud metallic sound/softball bat sound/glass bottle sound (all descriptions that I've heard for my Flash so far)...look at the sales success of the PING G series (before G400) despite their loud sound. I just have to have a more solid, muted sound to be comfortable playing a driver (or any club, really).

I'm thinking the sound with this driver is definitely going to be a polarizing issue. As I've said (I think in this thread, there are a few going about Callaway), I can't adjust to the sound of mine. Haven't even taken it out on the course the past week or so, and it will not be going into rotation. There are way too many better sounding drivers available now that perform just as good. There are plenty of golfers out there that don't pay attention to sound, or even like a loud metallic sound/softball bat sound/glass bottle sound (all descriptions that I've heard for my Flash so far)...look at the sales success of the PING G series (before G400) despite their loud sound. I just have to have a more solid, muted sound to be comfortable playing a driver (or any club, really).

Yeah he said if there were solid gains he would play the Flash even with the sound but nothing gained compared to his Epic which he hammers.

I remember the Epic SZ had a hollow thunk to it when the heavy weight was in the back. It sounds like the front weight on the SZ is only a couple of grams. I wonder if it will improve the sound at all by putting a heavier weight up there. I realize that not everyone will want to increase the swing weight to adjust the sound. I am a bit surprised that they are going away from the movable front and rear weights. I personally would rather have that than a track on the back. But, we shall see when they hit retail I guess.

In your opinion, is this sound more offensive than the G30/G driver from a few years back?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I remember the Epic SZ had a hollow thunk to it when the heavy weight was in the back. It sounds like the front weight on the SZ is only a couple of grams. I wonder if it will improve the sound at all by putting a heavier weight up there. I realize that not everyone will want to increase the swing weight to adjust the sound. I am a bit surprised that they are going away from the movable front and rear weights. I personally would rather have that than a track on the back. But, we shall see when they hit retail I guess.

In your opinion, is this sound more offensive than the G30/G driver from a few years back?

I've actually tried a few different weights in the front port...I have a load of them, since I play my drivers way shorter than Cally's standard length, and I need a heavier SW than stock to boot...so I often have to add 18-20 grams to a driver head..., and the sound hasn't changed a noticeable amount (to me). As far as the PING G30/G goes, I don't have an old PING to hit side by side, but for my sound preferences, they are one in the same. Realistically the Cally may not be quite as loud as the old PINGs, but for my preferences, once something reaches a certain unpleasing level, it's out. It could be 3 times louder than it is right now, or half as loud, but the sound gives me the sensation that the club isn't very "solid", if that makes sense...since we all know sound is the majority of what we describe as "feel".

I've actually tried a few different weights in the front port...I have a load of them, since I play my drivers way shorter than Cally's standard length, and I need a heavier SW than stock to boot...so I often have to add 18-20 grams to a driver head..., and the sound hasn't changed a noticeable amount (to me). As far as the PING G30/G goes, I don't have an old PING to hit side by side, but for my sound preferences, they are one in the same. Realistically the Cally may not be quite as loud as the old PINGs, but for my preferences, once something reaches a certain unpleasing level, it's out. It could be 3 times louder than it is right now, or half as loud, but the sound gives me the sensation that the club isn't very "solid", if that makes sense...since we all know sound is the majority of what we describe as "feel".

Thanks. The solid sound/feel is one thing I liked about the Callaway composite heads. A nice muted sound is a huge plus for me. The M5 with their speed goo could be the ticket. If the goo mutes the sound, add that to the fact that TM at least releases a 440 option, they may win me over this year.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I like a loud driver to announce to the rest of the course that I'm hitting bombs over here. :bb2: :D

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Have never chosen a driver based on sound alone. I suspect I won’t be continuing that trend either in 2019. #performanceonly

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

So no hot melt or other way to deaden/soften the sound?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I put about 4 grams in the toe of my flash sz and sound didn’t change much. If it is put elsewhere it might. I put a 5 gram front weight in and it sounded the same.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

I put about 4 grams in the toe of my flash sz and sound didn’t change much. If it is put elsewhere it might. I put a 5 gram front weight in and it sounded the same.

Its the AI super face. Designed so sound isn’t impacted by hot melt

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH