2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

I can't wait to hear how they are going to market this. Guy at my local shop said he hit one the rep brought by. He said the rep was really playing up the fact that this driver was designed with the help of Ai technology.

Hahahaha! If you want to sell anything these days just use the words AI, blockchain, machine learning, Watson, or robotics design.

All complete and utter BS but fits with the same BS marketing spin of “jailbreak technology”.

I work in the computer industry and can speak to the fact that a lot of our customers are buying servers for the specific purpose of AI/Machine Learning. Buying large clusters of servers dedicated for their processing. It has applications in many fields.

Is it so ridiculous to think that they couldn't have used that technology to calculate and test out face designs?

I think Callaway is confusing AI with clustered computing for the purpose of marketing. My customer has 2 of the biggest supercomputers in the world. I’d be doubtful that they loaned one to Callaway to crunch some driver face data, but for enough money... who knows.

Does anybody have any information on this AI that Callaway used?

I’m guessing they just wanted to use the latest buzz words...like they did with the xr16.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I played today with a guy who is on staff with Callaway, and he had the regular Flash in the bag. I did not find the sound to be anything that stood out at all. I didn’t hit it, as it was the wrong loft, shaft, and most likely the wrong head, and I don’t really know the guy well. But it put to bed any worries I had about the sound.

Why are you looking at drivers!?

I want to miss greens from closer

I can’t imagine this is any longer than the Epic your playing now.

You may be right, but some people have reported ballspeed gains around 4mph, so to me, it’s worth a look. I’m planning to set up a Trackman session with Scott (guy I take lessons from, for those who don’t know swiz & me) to get my wedge distances dialed in again (I don’t know if it was the SuperSpeed training or what, but I hit my wedges quite a bit farther now than the last time I checked them) , and I want to take a few minutes to compare my current driver to the Flash. If I can find 2mph or more with the same forgiveness, it might be worth the upgrade.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

so these drivers gain distance via higher launch and lower spin. Does higher launch and lower spin also equate to more accuracy? How does high launch and low spin perform into the wind? And how about side wind?

Less MOI than last year's driver, but supposed to be as accurate due to higher launch

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

John Daly epic flash

That top looks night and day better than the retail version. It’s a shame you can not order one that looks like JDs.

The images on this site show the sub zero without the line but the standard with line.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/01/04/golf-clubs-bag-callaway-epic-flash-driver-wood-details.amp.html

John Daly epic flash

That top looks night and day better than the retail version. It’s a shame you can not order one that looks like JDs.

The images on this site show the sub zero without the line but the standard with line.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/01/04/golf-clubs-bag-callaway-epic-flash-driver-wood-details.amp.html

When you look on Callys site, it is showing the SZ version with the line. Hopefully they offer it in a Udesign version.

I've got a lot of Rogue Fairways to trade that did not work for me - so yes, when 150% credit comes through, I'll be flashing the AI Flash

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

John Daly epic flash

That top looks night and day better than the retail version. It's a shame you can not order one that looks like JDs.

https://www.google.c...etails.amp.html

When you look on Callys site, it is showing the SZ version with the line. Hopefully they offer it in a Udesign version.

This is what I saw too

reviewszcompareaddress.jpg

Rick Shiels is only seeing about a 1mph gain over the Rogue, not the 4-5 that has been hyped up
But did you see the distance he was getting. I believe he said the sub zero was the longest reviewed driver yet.

He did say that

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Rick Shiels is only seeing about a 1mph gain over the Rogue, not the 4-5 that has been hyped up

That's still 1.5 mph more gain than he saw with Taylormade

This... they are only touting 1-3 mph ball speed gains.

So if a face is causing that then it is impressive.

I for one believe, guys/gals with 110+ won't see massive jumps like ones with marginal swing speeds to even slight above average

120 speed here and saw plus 2 on my ball speed. Just above center ballspeed.

Thats awesome to see and hear.

Most 120 guys I fit see minimal difference between the epic and rogue. However, I truly believe and seen for myself (on the course) the Flash is longer than both epic and rogue.

Hell the 3 woods themselves have jumped too.

protos F4

I can't wait to hear how they are going to market this. Guy at my local shop said he hit one the rep brought by. He said the rep was really playing up the fact that this driver was designed with the help of Ai technology.

Hahahaha! If you want to sell anything these days just use the words AI, blockchain, machine learning, Watson, or robotics design.

All complete and utter BS but fits with the same BS marketing spin of "jailbreak technology".

I work in the computer industry and can speak to the fact that a lot of our customers are buying servers for the specific purpose of AI/Machine Learning. Buying large clusters of servers dedicated for their processing. It has applications in many fields.

Is it so ridiculous to think that they couldn't have used that technology to calculate and test out face designs?

I think Callaway is confusing AI with clustered computing for the purpose of marketing. My customer has 2 of the biggest supercomputers in the world. I'd be doubtful that they loaned one to Callaway to crunch some driver face data, but for enough money... who knows.

Does anybody have any information on this AI that Callaway used?

I'm guessing they just wanted to use the latest buzz words...like they did with the xr16.

BUZZ words or not some will be like WOW and others don't care about it.

Just a talking point and how the face was developed. Results will be in the numbers on the course or during demoes.

protos F4

At this point, since it wasn't mentioned in their product launch yesterday, I'd assume the single and double diamond heads aren't making it to retail? Saw a bonded SZ FW on Twitter too. It's disappointing. I don't know if I'd even buy it. But, the fact that they don't offer a club they've already developed while their biggest competitor releases a similar design to the masses every year irritates me. Maybe the diamond versions sound different and not so offensive? We'll never know I guess.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I'm intrigued by the comments about the sound of the driver. A lot of people seem to feel that the driver sounds more metallic and louder and higher pitched. It even sounds like some are offended by the volume.

I have the Flash standard and I much prefer the sound of the Flash to the Rogue standard.

I am curious if those who are commenting on the sound are all referring to the SZ Flash, and how the SZ flash compares to the standard Flash.

For me, I would compare the sound this way:

Epic SZ (which I gamed for a year) made a very muted, lower, woody tone like a "HWOK"

The Rogue Standard (which I gamed for last year) made a much higher metallic "THWINK"

The Epic Flash Standard (which I have messed with for a month) makes a "THWACK or THWICK" tone. (higher pitched than the Epic SZ, but not as metallic as the Rogue Standard.)

I like the Flash Standard sound/feel quite a lot. It sounds and feels powerful to me.

One thing that I have definitely learned too is that everything sounds different indoors than outdoors.

Footnote: I do love Rick Shiels videos, but I always find it humorous how opinionated he gets about the marketing stuff like the club's name and color scheme and design on the bottom. I was surprised how strongly opinionated he was about the sound of the Flash and Flash SZ.

Dear Callaway, next time use your super computer to design the whole head, including the sound...I realize sound may not matter to some, but it does for many....thank you.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I'm intrigued by the comments about the sound of the driver. A lot of people seem to feel that the driver sounds more metallic and louder and higher pitched. It even sounds like some are offended by the volume.

I have the Flash standard and I much prefer the sound of the Flash to the Rogue standard.

I am curious if those who are commenting on the sound are all referring to the SZ Flash, and how the SZ flash compares to the standard Flash.

Epic SZ (which I gamed for a year) made a very muted, lower, woody tone like a "HWOK"

The Rogue Standard (which I gamed for last year) made a much higher metallic "THWINK"

The Epic Flash Standard (which I have messed with for a month) makes a "THWACK or THWICK" tone. (higher pitched than the Epic SZ, but not as metallic as the Rogue Standard.)

I like the Flash Standard sound/feel quite a lot. It sounds and feels powerful to me.

One thing that I have definitely learned too is that everything sounds different indoors than outdoors.

Footnote: I do love Rick Shiels videos, but I always find it humorous how opinionated he gets about the marketing stuff like the club's name and color scheme and design on the bottom. I was surprised how strongly opinionated he was about the sound of the Flash and Flash SZ.

HWOK THWINK THWACK THWICK, never thought I’d see these words in a forum, nice work!

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Arias Zero Offset 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

On Order: Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I guess there may be a difference in the sound between the Flash models, or maybe even from club to club. I have the SZ, and I know that mine is obnoxiously loud. Not only to me, but to all but one of my customers that I've let take it out on the course. So much so that one guy brought it back in the middle of the round telling me that he couldn't stand to hear it anymore and to please take it back, and said if he wanted to hear that he would have brought his G30. This from a customer who is Callaway through and through and has bought an entire set of woods of both of the prior two models (Epic and Rogue). I thought for sure as much of a Callaway die-hard as he is that he would have had me order a Flash for him sight unseen as excited as he was when I put it in his hands before the round that day. The sound (of mine at least) lost the sale for me (to him) this year.

HWOK THWINK THWACK THWICK, never thought I’d see these words in a forum, nice work!

It's actually a pretty good representation of the sound of each of the Epic and the Rogue.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Custom color options are going to be awesome!

That black looks sick. They should really ask GolfWRX what they like for graphics instead of marketing “gurus”

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I heard a low rumple and a metallic squink. Then someone cried out, Dear God! Look how far the ball went.

I guess there may be a difference in the sound between the Flash models, or maybe even from club to club. I have the SZ, and I know that mine is obnoxiously loud. Not only to me, but to all but one of my customers that I've let take it out on the course. So much so that one guy brought it back in the middle of the round telling me that he couldn't stand to hear it anymore and to please take it back, and said if he wanted to hear that he would have brought his G30. This from a customer who is Callaway through and through and has bought an entire set of woods of both of the prior two models (Epic and Rogue). I thought for sure as much of a Callaway die-hard as he is that he would have had me order a Flash for him sight unseen as excited as he was when I put it in his hands before the round that day. The sound (of mine at least) lost the sale for me (to him) this year.

I’ve been able to test out a SZ as well and it’s funny because to me it is none of the things you’re describing. Mine sounds very solid, not too loud and not too muted. I’m not saying it’s perfect in that department, but it’s far from offensive. Do you think yours maybe doesn’t have any hot melt in it? I thought most OEM’s put a small amount in every head.

I heard a low rumple and a metallic squink. Then someone cried out, Dear God! Look how far the ball went.

Just a great Seinfeld reference! Kudos...

All complete and utter BS but fits with the same BS marketing spin of “jailbreak technology”.

Yes, it’s indeed ridiculous or at a min, pure unadulterated hype.

I’m also in the tech business but more and more companies especially those looking to put some sizzle on the steak, like to talk about everything they do is using blockchain, bitcoin, AI or any other buzzword that might trigger a buy.

Until I hear specifically about how AI-based technologies somehow improved the club in dramatic fashion, I will continue to be a skeptic.

Ive been able to test out a SZ as well and its funny because to me it is none of the things youre describing. Mine sounds very solid, not too loud and not too muted. Im not saying its perfect in that department, but its far from offensive. Do you think yours maybe doesnt have any hot melt in it? I thought most OEMs put a small amount in every head.

Well, it seems like it's not just mine. Most of the reviewers online that have hated the sound all seem to have the SZ as well. Now I will say I received mine VERY early, so maybe it's a batch thing. But all the complaints about sound do seem to be saying the same things...very loud, very shrill, high pitched. Same stuff Shiels was saying, and do seem to all come from the SZ.