2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

Cant we all just cave and agree the sound is terrible. Most every review says it. Check this one out at the 2:40 mark.

I thought that the TS3 driver also sounded very loud and Pingy. My first strike with a range ball hurt my ears so badly. Then on the course it hurt my ears as well. By day 2 of demoing the driver, the ping sound was completely gone and sounded ok/good. I thought the driver needed a break-in period. But what actually happened is my ears got used to it.

Does anyone know of any no upcharge shaft options yet? Is it safe to assume the list will pretty much just be the same as last year?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Does anyone know of any no upcharge shaft options yet? Is it safe to assume the list will pretty much just be the same as last year?

As far as I've been told, it's the same, with the additions made this year that everyone already knows at this point.

As in the stock shafts? Smoke, Tensei AV, and evenflow green?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

As far as I've been told, it's the same, with the additions made this year that everyone already knows at this point.

Sorry, yes, that's what I'm saying. Again, just my input as a current Callaway staff account. I haven't seen anything indicating addition or subtraction of any available shafts other than those indtroduced with the Flash launch.

It's interesting that Callaway's own site only shows the Hzrdus Smoke 60G as regular and stiff only. If someone wants extra stiff, it's onto the 70G. However, when I placed my order with DD, I was able to order the 60G 6.5... huh, may be the 60G 6.5 is a hidden option or their site is slightly off.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

It's interesting that Callaway's own site only shows the Hzrdus Smoke 60G as regular and stiff only. If someone wants extra stiff, it's onto the 70G. However, when I placed my order with DD, I was able to order the 60G 6.5... huh, may be the 60G 6.5 is a hidden option or their site is slightly off.

That may be an error on Cally's site. In my ordering portal, I can in fact select a 60g X-Stiff option when building out an order.

Does their site have custom options yet for the flash? I know that in the past, the "stock" shafts are what you find on the big box store racks but there are other flexes a lot of the time when you custom order it.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Does their site have custom options yet for the flash? I know that in the past, the "stock" shafts are what you find on the big box store racks but there are other flexes a lot of the time when you custom order it.

No custom options yet. Just has a basic list of the stock options. Apparently the HZRDUS Green (which I am assuming is a made for shaft) is a premium offering? I don't have any experience with the Smoke, but early reports are positive, so I pre-ordered with that. I feel like Cally and TM are slipping a bit where their shaft options were once improving on a regular basis.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

First win of the year goes to the new callaway and The Xander zone. Leishman played well with it as well. And Fran the pasta man, the champion golfer of 2018 who can play any driver he pleases, switched to the Flash after the best year of his life. To all the people with rabbit ears, it's a shame you wont play the best driver on the market because your hearing aids are turned up too loud. Now get off my lawn

They could be playing one of the three tour only versions. They may sound absolutely nothing like the retail version.

Most people here can hotmelt or adjust their drivers or even put cotton balls into the head to make it sound different. That should not be an issue with this group so saying the sound as bad is like complaining your Ferrari is blue. You can change it if you bought the Ferrari

First win of the year goes to the new callaway and The Xander zone. Leishman played well with it as well. And Fran the pasta man, the champion golfer of 2018 who can play any driver he pleases, switched to the Flash after the best year of his life. To all the people with rabbit ears, it's a shame you wont play the best driver on the market because your hearing aids are turned up too loud. Now get off my lawn

They could be playing one of the three tour only versions. They may sound absolutely nothing like the retail version.

Most people here can hotmelt or adjust their drivers or even put cotton balls into the head to make it sound different. That should not be an issue with this group so saying the sound as bad is like complaining your Ferrari is blue. You can change it if you bought the Ferrari

There are those of us who don't have access to resources like that. I could possibly ship it away. But, without talking the process through, or going through some sort of fitting process, I would have no idea how much to have added. I won't put cotton balls in as it would seem like an absolute pain the rear to get them out should I not like the results.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

That may be an error on Cally's site. In my ordering portal, I can in fact select a 60g X-Stiff option when building out an order.

On your ordering portal, can you also order the Tensei AV Blue in the 55g version in Regular flex in addition to the 60g version in that flex?

The VAST majority of golfers, like the ones that purchase Callaway in the first place, have no idea what hot melt is or where to get it done. All they know is how the club sounds, feels, and performs when they try it out (if they try it out...soooo many people still buy off the rack without even hitting them)...that's where the sound and feel may (or may not) be an issue.

No custom options yet. Just has a basic list of the stock options. Apparently the HZRDUS Green (which I am assuming is a made for shaft) is a premium offering? I don't have any experience with the Smoke, but early reports are positive, so I pre-ordered with that. I feel like Cally and TM are slipping a bit where their shaft options were once improving on a regular basis.

Even flow green is listed on PX website

https://www.pxshaft.com/products/evenflow-green/

probably has to do with the options available to each model on the website. 6.5 is probably available to SZ but not standard flash on the website but from the vendor portal it's available for both.

Yes, that's it. Click on the Sub Zero and it shows the same as radiman's screenshot. I wonder if you can really order a standard Epic Flash with the Smoke 60G 6.5 though...huh. All good though for me, the SZ is coming 1/25. Allegedly.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Weights for the EF Sub Zero. Anyone know if the old Epic sliding weights will fit in that rear slot? Also, will the old Epic round weights work in the front one?

Weights for the EF Sub Zero. Anyone know if the old Epic sliding weights will fit in that rear slot? Also, will the old Epic round weights work in the front one?

I don't have my Epic SZ anymore, but are they the same weights that fit the Rogue SZ? If so, the Rogue SZ weights will fit the Flash SZ, as I've already confirmed that with the numerous Rogue weights I have.

probably has to do with the options available to each model on the website. 6.5 is probably available to SZ but not standard flash on the website but from the vendor portal it's available for both.

Yes, that's it. Click on the Sub Zero and it shows the same as radiman's screenshot. I wonder if you can really order a standard Epic Flash with the Smoke 60G 6.5 though...huh. All good though for me, the SZ is coming 1/25. Allegedly.

Shipping 1/25 or due to arrive in that time frame? I ordered through the same retailer as you did. Was just told it will ship mid to late January. Not in urgent need of it. Just curious is all.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I've watched a lot of reviews now on Flash and while maybe people are seeing a few extra yards, the looks are definitely horrible IMO, and the sound is not very pleasing either. Maybe in person I'd feel otherwise but it's not really too high up on my list of stuff to try. I don't think any drivers are after seeing them really... M series looks kind of tacky, Flash sounds a b**** high pitched. Maybe G410 will change my mind...

On your ordering portal, can you also order the Tensei AV Blue in the 55g version in Regular flex in addition to the 60g version in that flex?

Just logged in to callaway to answer this for you. I actually see no 55g regular flex option at all, just a 60g regular. Where has a 55g regular been shown?

Thanks for taking the time to check on the Tensei AV Blue options currently listed for the Epic Flash. The MCA website lists the various versions of the Tensei AV Blue, which includes 55, 65, and 75 versions. I'm presuming the versions listed by Callaway for the Flash are the 65 (for the 60g range) and the 75 (for the 70g range). I was asking about the 55 because that is a stock option in the new Titleist drivers, and I liked that shaft when I demo'd it in the TS2. I've been hoping that Callaway would also be offering that shaft as a stock option, but maybe it will offer only the heavier versions.

Thanks again!

But WHY would you buy a blue Ferrari in the first place?

Shipping 1/25 or due to arrive in that time frame? I ordered through the same retailer as you did. Was just told it will ship mid to late January. Not in urgent need of it. Just curious is all.

estimate to ship. its on the receipt order. now, i have bought other stuff from them and it's really the delivery date, most of the time. i am cool with waiting as well. when did u order yours?

estimate to ship. its on the receipt order. now, i have bought other stuff from them and it's really the delivery date, most of the time. i am cool with waiting as well. when did u order yours?

I paid a couple weeks ago and confirmed the order last Friday when I had an idea what the stock shafts would be.

Edit: just checked the receipt that they sent me Friday. Paid on 12/31. Under instructions, it says estimated to ship late January.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Had a chance today to get the Epic Flash outside and see and hear the true sound of the driver. The loft is 9* with the track weight slightly towards the fade position. The shaft I used was the Tensei Pro CK 70 TX. Hosel settings -1 loft Neutral lie angle. I also tested it against my current gamer the G400 Max w/ Tensei Pro CK Orange 70 TX. First off, the look of the EF at address looks very square in the -1 loft setting. The head is a little to long from face to back of the club for me. I prefer the look of the G400 Max over all shape. Both clubs are easy to aim and feel forgiving. The EF seemed to be easier to swing and a little more forgiving. I hit a couple of shots with both clubs out of the heel (my normal miss) and the EF flew straighter with less movement to the right, plus the EF went about 5 yards longer than the G400 Max. When hit in the center of the face on both the EF was about 2 yards longer. The distances were all carry yards due to the extreme wetness of the course. My over all feeling on the EF is it will be a good selling driver for Callaway. Is it better than my G400 Max? Could be with more fine tunning. When I can I would like to test the EFSZ against the G400 Max. Now in my opinion the EF is no louder than the G400 Max. The thing I liked about the EF the most was it felt more lively off the face than the G400 Max.

I paid a couple weeks ago and confirmed the order last Friday when I had an idea what the stock shafts would be.

Edit: just checked the receipt that they sent me Friday. Paid on 12/31. Under instructions, it says estimated to ship late January.

yeah, the guys told me to wait till the 1st week of Jan so I didn't bother them. Let's see when they ship! I got my original Epic at or before their ship date, as I recall and I was an early door adopter - yeah, I LUVE my JailBreak.

This time, I don't think the demand for the Epic Flash is as INSANE as compared to the original Epic years ago. But one never knows. Lets us know when it arrives, Good stuff mate :taunt:

yeah, the guys told me to wait till the 1st week of Jan so I didn't bother them. Let's see when they ship! I got my original Epic at or before their ship date, as I recall and I was an early door adopter - yeah, I LUVE my JailBreak.

This time, I don't think the demand for the Epic Flash is as INSANE as compared to the original Epic years ago. But one never knows. Lets us know when it arrives, Good stuff mate :taunt:

Will do. I don't typically like to pre-order. I like to at least hit it a few times before committing. But, with the success I had with the Epic SZ and even the Rogue (just didn't care for the looks), I have no doubt I will be able to get it to work for me with the shafts I have on hand. I was pretty set on ordering from DD this time around and I don't like using the local shops LM's just to go buy somewhere else.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X