2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

I don’t know if it’s off topic but I saw that Callaway declined MGS request to include the new epic line in their testing. On one hand I can see how it’s annoying handing out free drivers to every single internet club tester but I always thought their test was really comprehensive and good. If I was Callaway I’d rather have these guys test my product vs some of the yahoos on YouTube.

BTW - not a fan of MGS calling out Callaway on social media for not giving them a free driver and I’m sure it guarantees that Callaway won’t be giving them any free clubs to test in the future.

Callaway didn’t participate this past year either

I don’t know if it’s off topic but I saw that Callaway declined MGS request to include the new epic line in their testing. On one hand I can see how it’s annoying handing out free drivers to every single internet club tester but I always thought their test was really comprehensive and good. If I was Callaway I’d rather have these guys test my product vs some of the yahoos on YouTube.

BTW - not a fan of MGS calling out Callaway on social media for not giving them a free driver and I’m sure it guarantees that Callaway won’t be giving them any free clubs to test in the future.

It's been ongoing for a few years. They have been all over Callaway for a while. They even get in a few Twitter back and forth with Callaway employees.

While that’s the case I’ve seen where they have been cordial and some of what they have posted is in fun. They were invited to the launch party last week

I'm not exactly sure what started all of it. But you are right, they do seem cordial now. That didn't always used to be the case though. Callaway doesn't send them free drivers so they take to social media to let all of their followers know.

Callaway also used to be pretty involved here as well.

Definitely an interesting dynamic between them.

I'm not exactly sure what started all of it. But you are right, they do seem cordial now. That didn't always used to be the case though. Callaway doesn't send them free drivers so they take to social media to let all of their followers know.

I recall they were asking for donations to get the clubs the OEM would not supply them. What happened with that?

Anyway...here's an interesting comparision between Rogue SubZero vs. Epic Flash SubZero. This one is very interesting to me, his SS is very close to mine on my not-so-good days so I agree that anything above 300+ is long for me as well.

[media=]

[/media]

Also the Rogue SZ did not get along with me. I like it but it's too fade bias for my swing. So I sold it and went back to my Epic GBB with the 24 gm slider set to semi-draw mode.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I found the flash sz to be much less fade biased than the rogue

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

thats good news. did you change it's sliding weight to do this?

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I recall they were asking for donations to get the clubs the OEM would not supply them. What happened with that?

Anyway...here's an interesting comparision between Rogue SubZero vs. Epic Flash SubZero. This one is very interesting to me, his SS is very close to mine on my not-so-good days so I agree that anything above 300+ is long for me as well.

[media=]

[/media]

Also the Rogue SZ did not get along with me. I like it but it's too fade bias for my swing. So I sold it and went back to my Epic GBB with the 24 gm slider set to semi-draw mode.

My gripe here is not using the same shaft. Granted sometimes shafts perform better with different heads, but it’s always nice to see them tested with the same shaft

Nothing is safe in my bag!

I added 4 grams of hotmelt in the toe to get the fade bias I wanted with the sliding weight in neutral.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

I added 4 grams of hotmelt in the toe to get the fade bias I wanted with the sliding weight in neutral.

Did the hotmelt have any effect on the sound?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Got to hit it today. Love the look and feel! Going to be popular choice this yr., especially if you liked Rogue. Bit louder/explosive vs. Rogue. Not a fan of the green and yellow, but at address it looks good! ;)

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I don't know if it's off topic but I saw that Callaway declined MGS request to include the new epic line in their testing. On one hand I can see how it's annoying handing out free drivers to every single internet club tester but I always thought their test was really comprehensive and good. If I was Callaway I'd rather have these guys test my product vs some of the yahoos on YouTube.

BTW - not a fan of MGS calling out Callaway on social media for not giving them a free driver and I'm sure it guarantees that Callaway won't be giving them any free clubs to test in the future.

Its due to Callaway wanting people to get fit and not play off the rack. Harry SVP told them that years ago but they still have to "call out" people

They can get their hands on one, so no reason to call anyone out. They should test them all regardless, there is nothing that would prevent them from doing so other than their relations with the OEM's.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

They can get their hands on one, so no reason to call anyone out. They should test them all regardless, there is nothing that would prevent them from doing so other than their relations with the OEM's.

I saw someone comment about possible litigation if Callaway said no and they test anyways. Not a lawyer so not sure the validity of that. It’s also not about getting a free driver but rather the fact they are choosing not to participate because they don’t like the whatever methods mgs is using to test but unlike other companies who have the same concerns Callaway doesn’t want to sit down and talk about the test where as other companies once they do hear more about the testing scenarios are on board.

Imo it’s callaway marketing being scared the numbers won’t match up with the story

I saw someone comment about possible litigation if Callaway said no and they test anyways. Not a lawyer so not sure the validity of that. It's also not about getting a free driver but rather the fact they are choosing not to participate because they don't like the whatever methods mgs is using to test but unlike other companies who have the same concerns Callaway doesn't want to sit down and talk about the test where as other companies once they do hear more about the testing scenarios are on board.

Imo it's callaway marketing being scared the numbers won't match up with the story

TM also declined to participate as well as Scotty Cameron.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I saw someone comment about possible litigation if Callaway said no and they test anyways. Not a lawyer so not sure the validity of that. It's also not about getting a free driver but rather the fact they are choosing not to participate because they don't like the whatever methods mgs is using to test but unlike other companies who have the same concerns Callaway doesn't want to sit down and talk about the test where as other companies once they do hear more about the testing scenarios are on board.

Imo it's callaway marketing being scared the numbers won't match up with the story

Hi, lawyer here, there is nothing they could do if they came about the driver by legal means.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Huh, that would be interesting with major ramifications. Think of all the youtube testers out there getting sued, ain't gonna happen. If the oem doesn't provide, mgs has every right to go buy a driver and use it. i think i posted that at one time they were asking for donation to get around a pool of $10K for buying clubs OEM won't provide.

Also, it's not like their testing is a black box and you don't see anything. they lay it out pretty clear.

TM also declined to participate as well as Scotty Cameron.

TM sounds like it’s just the normal mgs hate that’s been there fit while. Scotty is a branding thing. Mgs talked about this in their tweets

MGS has a video on youtube reviewing the epic flash so I would imagine Callaway sent it to them. Maybe the squeaky wheel does get the oil.

They had that a while ago. I saw an initial review from them well before they came out and said Callaway was not participating. I would imagine that for their tests, they would need multiple heads and shaft combinations for all of the testers.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Huh, that would be interesting with major ramifications. Think of all the youtube testers out there getting sued, ain't gonna happen. If the oem doesn't provide, mgs has every right to go buy a driver and use it. i think i posted that at one time they were asking for donation to get around a pool of $10K for buying clubs OEM won't provide.

Also, it's not like their testing is a black box and you don't see anything. they lay it out pretty clear.

It was a tweet someone made on the thread from mgs posting the sponsors and I’m not sure how legit the claim would be. Mgs does get donations from its members and that is used to pay for stuff they don’t get.

Disappointed that the trade in kicker is only on newer Callaway stuff this year.

Where are you looking at the values? Is the bonus reflected in their normal trade in site?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Just pre-ordered and experience with how fast Cally turns these around?

From what I saw in another post some time ago, is that the ship date would be 1/25.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

If Callaway provided clubs with stipulations (not unlike pre release info sites can't divulge till the embargo is lifted) then they have a case. But if MGS buys a club, they are free to do with it as they please. Only way they can get in trouble is doing something slanderous like fudging data, and there's no reason to think MGS is doing that.

While I don't think Callaway marketing is 'scared', they may have determined that there is little to be gained by actively participating (as they have not done for some time). Look at who has declined - Callaway, TM, and SC. All hold dominant positions. I will guess that - whether due to disagreements over the test method or other reasons - they've all determined that there is more to be lost than to be gained.

Frankly those participating are the opposite... they stand more to gain. Just look at Titleist... where they stand to gain more than lose, they're participating. Where the opposite is true, they decline.

Disappointed that the trade in kicker is only on newer Callaway stuff this year.

Where are you looking at the values? Is the bonus reflected in their normal trade in site?

If you clock on details on the “loyalty bonus”, the 50% kicker only works on 2017 and 2018 Callaway clubs. Might be different if it comes to retail.

The last 2 years they accepted just about everything.

If you clock on details on the “loyalty bonus”, the 50% kicker only works on 2017 and 2018 Callaway clubs. Might be different if it comes to retail.

The last 2 years they accepted just about everything.

There is no way I would trade in my Epic GBB for the Epic Flash SZ. Crazy. What if it does not work out...u r so screwed...

Yes, same adapter as Epic and Rogue

Not true my friend, I called Callaway yesterday and they told me its a totally different adapter, supposedly lighter because of the new head design... pisses me off because it will take some time to get this new adapter aftermarket

I don’t think this is true because i just got back from the PGA store and used my own shaft from my Epic and it worked fine. Might be a newer lightweight adapter on the new shafts but the old ones are still compatible.