How much BS are we being fed by the big brands?

cp.vanvuuren

All these posts and no one asking what the thing sounds like?! For shame! :D

Very cool OP, your wife is a lucky gal!

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you affixing the shafts to the head ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Interesting thread! I looked at some of the clips that you posted on Youtube. The one where you interview the guy with the Volvik cap, what golf course is that?

Thanks Mukster. It's a lovely old Country Club close to my office. It's Wingate Park Country Club in Pretoria, South Africa.

Thanks, Foliage looks familiar. I will be on holiday up the road from you at Silver Lakes in a few months.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

What is it actually made of? Titanium or ??

Pretty much Plastic. Same stuff that Lego blocks are made of, ABS for short. It's a polymer that is extremely strong and rigid, but weighs 70% less than stainless steel.

Most of the plastic inserts on the OEM clubs is ABS. It has a very high shock absorbance.

"ABS combines the strength and rigidity of acrylonitrile and styrene polymers with the toughness of polybutadiene rubber. While the cost of producingABS is roughly twice the cost of producing polystyrene, it is considered superior for its hardness, gloss, toughness, and electrical insulation properties."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

Thx, I went thru your op and looked up 3d printing with ABS and realized it was a plastic. Amazing that you can hit balls with it and hold up. Assuming ABS was used with the 3d models on driver v driver....

ABS! Back in the '70s when my Dad bought me my first set of clubs, the driver and 3w were ABS plastic! It took me years to beat that thing to death. A lot of potential in 3D printing. In the last Driver v Driver by Wilson, they 3D printed all of the prototypes out of titanium. They were hollow and some didn't hold up very well. However, a solid ABS head that is designed well and has movable weighting could do pretty well against the current selection of drivers on the market. I really like the putter design BTW. Massive heel toe weighting.

Very interesting thread.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

This thread is hilarious! It's tough to fall on one side or the other in this argument. The 3D printed driver is awesome, and does serve to symbolize a great deal of truth about the equipment market.

That being said, we all know that we aren't playing that thing.

The only lingering question is...what kind of numbers do you think that 3D printed driver would produce with a little "Jailbreak" technology and perhaps a Tensei Orange 70 TX?

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Great thread.

I would say most of the 'new' technology these big brands use to position their new releases is to do just that, position their new releases. I have found that most of the new drivers today will perform similarly. I have bounced from technology to technology and decided that if the numbers are pretty much the same, I am going to play what I think feels and looks the best. I don't believe you are truly giving up a lot by using a driver that is 2 or 3 years older. The technology that they position as 'groundbreaking' really isn't.

Play what looks and feels best to you, and you'll enjoy the game more.

Hopefully I don't trip as I step off my soapbox....

Here's the thing...I would pay a lot of money for a 7 yard increase over what I'm playing now. People think drivers are currently maxed out. They're not.

In my case, I would pay a lot of money to hit 10% more fairways, even if it comes with a 7 yard sacrifice in distance. So maybe I should just cut 4 inches from my driver shaft...

I replied because I wanted to flip the perspective from what you were saying. If your DIY driver (which is awesome, btw) was the main club on market and an OEM released a driver that had a legit 7 yard increase over yours, there is some segment of the market that would pay a lot of money for that, including me. A 7 yard increase is not marketing BS. From a strokes gained perspective, that's a legit change that will lower your potential strokes to complete a hole because you're hitting your second shot from a closer position.

What I take issue with is the idea that all companies do these days is regurgitate the same clubs and sell them with marketing spin. Yes, they're marketed with language that's favorable to the company, but these companies have certain degrees of certainty they have to achieve in their data before their legal teams will let them make claims. Drivers have absolutely gotten better in the last few years and there are still opportunities for companies to make improvements, including distance on center strikes (which most assume is not possible).

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Here's the thing...I would pay a lot of money for a 7 yard increase over what I'm playing now. People think drivers are currently maxed out. They're not.

In my case, I would pay a lot of money to hit 10% more fairways, even if it comes with a 7 yard sacrifice in distance. So maybe I should just cut 4 inches from my driver shaft...

I replied because I wanted to flip the perspective from what you were saying. If your DIY driver (which is awesome, btw) was the main club on market and an OEM released a driver that had a legit 7 yard increase over yours, there is some segment of the market that would pay a lot of money for that, including me. A 7 yard increase is not marketing BS. From a strokes gained perspective, that's a legit change that will lower your potential strokes to complete a hole because you're hitting your second shot from a closer position.

What I take issue with is the idea that all companies do these days is regurgitate the same clubs and sell them with marketing spin. Yes, they're marketed with language that's favorable to the company, but these companies have certain degrees of certainty they have to achieve in their data before their legal teams will let them make claims. Drivers have absolutely gotten better in the last few years and there are still opportunities for companies to make improvements, including distance on center strikes (which most assume is not possible).

This is truly a fresh thread and enjoyable to read.

@JLL...with your index, you're within probably the top 0.0001% of all golfers, pro or am. Over the course of a 4 round event, what would you see as your tee to green strokes gained with the extra 7 yards? Intriguing minds...

... It really is interesting how so many here can be so ignorant. We could say the same thing about cars. They all still have engines, 4 wheels and get you from point A to point B. A 10 yr old car is just as good as current cars if you are a good driver. All just marketing hype and BS to sell new cars. Of course new clubs are improved and are technically better. Not to sound like a broken record but the only question is how much better and will the improvements make a difference in your game, which is a completely different argument. The guys on tour need their equipment to perform at the highest level and most of them are putting new equipment in their bags. For instance Rickie, Bryce and Lexi all immediately put the new F9 in their bags because it was an improvement over the F8. Of course they get their equipment fir free and that improvement may not be enough for the average forum guy, but it is there and it isn't all hype.

... Like you, I am gonna pony up $449 for 7 yards and would do so for 5 yds OR better dispersion OR a better sound/feel/look at address. I thought the Fly Z was the best driver I ever played and did not upgrade to the F6 or the F7 but felt the F8 was enough of an improvement to make the switch. But I think the main thing missed by all those in the "new clubs are BS" is most non forum members pay little attention to any club marketing until it is time to buy a new club. And then OEM's have to get their attention and that is were the marketing is not only helpful but absolutely necessary. The "BS" is not for the 14 index WRX MB player (with a bad short game of course) that plays a SLDR and doesn't think the M2 or any new irons offers any appreciable improvements because you know, it's all just hype and BS. Yes, a lot of marketing is window dressing, buzz words and small print claims, because that is the definition of marketing. As always it is up to the consumer to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

This thread is hilarious! It's tough to fall on one side or the other in this argument. The 3D printed driver is awesome, and does serve to symbolize a great deal of truth about the equipment market.

That being said, we all know that we aren't playing that thing.

The only lingering question is...what kind of numbers do you think that 3D printed driver would produce with a little "Jailbreak" technology and perhaps a Tensei Orange 70 TX?

The putters I have been playing for the last 20 yrs were designed and built by me using hand tools in my workshop. No CAD, no engineering degree. Perfectly face balanced with extensive heel/toe weighting. Loft and lie are perfectly matched to my specifications. I have put them up against every putter on the market and they always stay with them while looking a heck of a lot better!

So why can't a 3D printed driver head made from a resilient material. Designed by a professional engineer using CAD software perform just as well as anything else?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

That said, it is largely the indian, not the arrow. I'm guessing that if you gave a scratch golfer a set of persimmons and some 1980's irons, and a few weeks of practice hitting them, they'd be right back close to scratch in no time.

Not to derail this thread too much because the OP has done something really cool, but this is a different argument altogether that people throw into this conversation quite often. What a good golfer does or doesn't do has nothing to do with whether a driver is longer than another. One is an objective measurement based on specific criteria and the other is a nebulous expression of athletic and mental talent. Sure, give a scratch golfer the vintage clubs and they'd still shoot pretty well given some adjustment time, but that doesn't mean the driver is longer or the irons are more forgiving, that just means that they know how to handle being 25 yards shorter off the tee.

With regards to the OP, I would love to see Trackman/GC2 numbers on the 3D printed driver to see things like clubhead speed, ball speed, spin, launch etc.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

... It really is interesting how so many here can be so ignorant. We could say the same thing about cars. They all still have engines, 4 wheels and get you from point A to point B. A 10 yr old car is just as good as current cars if you are a good driver. All just marketing hype and BS to sell new cars. Of course new clubs are improved and are technically better. Not to sound like a broken record but the only question is how much better and will the improvements make a difference in your game, which is a completely different argument. The guys on tour need their equipment to perform at the highest level and most of them are putting new equipment in their bags. For instance Rickie, Bryce and Lexi all immediately put the new F9 in their bags because it was an improvement over the F8. Of course they get their equipment fir free and that improvement may not be enough for the average forum guy, but it is there and it isn't all hype.

... Like you, I am gonna pony up $449 for 7 yards and would do so for 5 yds OR better dispersion OR a better sound/feel/look at address. I thought the Fly Z was the best driver I ever played and did not upgrade to the F6 or the F7 but felt the F8 was enough of an improvement to make the switch. But I think the main thing missed by all those in the "new clubs are BS" is most non forum members pay little attention to any club marketing until it is time to buy a new club. And then OEM's have to get their attention and that is were the marketing is not only helpful but absolutely necessary. The "BS" is not for the 14 index WRX MB player (with a bad short game of course) that plays a SLDR and doesn't think the M2 or any new irons offers any appreciable improvements because you know, it's all just hype and BS. Yes, a lot of marketing is window dressing, buzz words and small print claims, because that is the definition of marketing. As always it is up to the consumer to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Amazing isn't it? All the info you could want right here at your fingertips and yet people still choose to remain ignorant.

No offense to the OP as this a cool project but to even try to make an equivalence between a 3D printed golf club by an amateur enthusiast and the latest and greatest OEM driver is kinda crazy imo. People are talking about COR ???!

Maybe this will spawn a “3D Printed Golf Club Users (NO DEBATING MAKERS)” thread where like minded folks can embrace the technology free from judgement ;-)

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Eh. It’s mostly BS. A touch of innovation sprinkled About.

The reason that the opinions differ on this is that what fits you may not fit me. So with choices we find something that’s better , FOR OURSELVES.... but that doesn’t really mean innovation or better across the board. Fact of the matter is. If you hit it on the middle some clubs actually take adjustment in swing and mindset to play. If your brain doesn’t think “ straight “. Some of these new irons will cause you to aim left edge of the green and hit it there. Time and time again , then you go dead at the Pin and miss a little then it leaks right and you’re pissed. No trust there. Delicate balance. What helps me may hurt you and so on.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

No offense to the OP as this a cool project but to even try to make an equivalence between a 3D printed golf club by an amateur enthusiast and the latest and greatest OEM driver is kinda crazy imo. People are talking about COR ???!

Maybe this will spawn a “3D Printed Golf Club Users (NO DEBATING MAKERS)” thread where like minded folks can embrace the technology free from judgement ;-)

Not at all. It’s why I posted it. I’m looking for opinions. To state the obvious, I wasn’t expecting the result either.

That said, it is largely the indian, not the arrow. I'm guessing that if you gave a scratch golfer a set of persimmons and some 1980's irons, and a few weeks of practice hitting them, they'd be right back close to scratch in no time.

100.%. If you suck. You suck with whatever you’re playing. If you’re good. Well you’re going to figure it out.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This is truly a fresh thread and enjoyable to read.

@JLL...with your index, you're within probably the top 0.0001% of all golfers, pro or am. Over the course of a 4 round event, what would you see as your tee to green strokes gained with the extra 7 yards? Intriguing minds...

I did a rough estimate of a best case 10 yard increase in distance last month. If you're normally 170 from the hole and you change to being 160 from the hole, your expected strokes to complete the hole changes from 3.03 @ 170 to 2.98 @ 160. That 0.05 doesn't seem like much, but if you hit driver 14 times a round with that 10 yard increase, you end up with a 0.7 stroke lower potential strokes over the whole round, resulting in 2.8 strokes lower potential in a four round event. Obviously this number isn't perfect; it's a best case from 170 and assumes you have that distance in on all holes for which you hit driver. If you're closer than 170, the gap in completion values shrinks and you reduce the distance advantage (but if you're farther out the gap widens, so maybe they offset some). So it may not be 3 strokes, but maybe it's 1 or 2. To me, that's tangible when every shot counts.

Now, increasing distance may also increase dispersion by a bit. Perhaps that causes you to miss one more fairway a round, which could raise the strokes to complete the hole by 0.25 for that hole due to the rough. But if we add a technology like Twist Face, maybe you don't miss that fairway and perhaps you hit one more than you otherwise would have. Again, that doesn't seem like much, but if you save 0.25 on a hole due to hitting a fairway, that's a full stroke over the course of four rounds.

Everything at the elite level is on the margins. A stroke here and a stroke there matters.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Hmmm... interesting thread.

Ironic that just this weekend I hit the new Titleist TS2 and TS3 drivers on a trackman with a few different shafts to see if they were really any better for me than my current 917D2...

I found that there is zero reason for me to buy a $650 driver to replace mine, because despite everything I hit zero shots with the TS drivers further than my 917... I even tried my shaft in the TS...In fact the TS3 looked felt and sounded almost identical to my 917D2 except for going back to a black crown, at adresss... identical.

The end result was virtually identical (if not slightly less performance gain) from the new TS over my 1 1/2 year old driver.

To be fair, I did just go from 714 AP1 irons to 718 AP1 irons this fall. I got a chance to demo the 718s this summer and got a killer deal on the a set with the exact shafts I loved from the demo day. But even the irons, when hit side by side with my 714s, felt very, very similar and only ever so slightly fell short of the new 718s. The changes were small and incremental IMO. Mostly, I bought the 718s because they were a super good deal and the sexy factor of them was off the chart.

My driver lineage looks like this....I went from a 907D2 to a 910D2 to a 917D2. The TS doesn't impress enough to warrant a $600-$700 purchase at this time.

While I do believe the OEMs find subtle ways to tweek clubs, esp. drivers in each iteration, I think they also depend on us to swallow a lot of B.S. in order to keep their sales chugging along form year to year.

Eh. It's mostly BS. A touch of innovation sprinkled About.

The reason that the opinions differ on this is that what fits you may not fit me. So with choices we find something that's better , FOR OURSELVES.... but that doesn't really mean innovation or better across the board. Fact of the matter is. If you hit it on the middle some clubs actually take adjustment in swing and mindset to play. If your brain doesn't think " straight ". Some of these new irons will cause you to aim left edge of the green and hit it there. Time and time again , then you go dead at the Pin and miss a little then it leaks right and you're pissed. No trust there. Delicate balance. What helps me may hurt you and so on.

I agree with almost all of this (just not the BS part). Most companies have targeted different category of player with their driver offerings over the years, whether intentional or not. Staying one OEM is better than another OEM is a dumb argument because there are many players for whom their launch conditions (high spin low launch, low spin high launch, etc) will fit better with the clubs from a specific manufacturer. Agree that what's better for you may not be better for me.

The only point I ever try to make is that offerings from all OEMs can continue to get better. The common belief that drivers are maxed out because of the rules and that all we get are new paint jobs is simply not true. There is still room for innovation by each company that can be measured and proven to be true. When someone claims the OEMs are spewing BS, you're implying that the companies are not truthful. And I know this is not the case because their legal department would not let them make the claims they do without them reaching a high degree of accuracy.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Eh. It's mostly BS. A touch of innovation sprinkled About.

The reason that the opinions differ on this is that what fits you may not fit me. So with choices we find something that's better , FOR OURSELVES.... but that doesn't really mean innovation or better across the board. Fact of the matter is. If you hit it on the middle some clubs actually take adjustment in swing and mindset to play. If your brain doesn't think " straight ". Some of these new irons will cause you to aim left edge of the green and hit it there. Time and time again , then you go dead at the Pin and miss a little then it leaks right and you're pissed. No trust there. Delicate balance. What helps me may hurt you and so on.

I agree with almost all of this (just not the BS part). Most companies have targeted different category of player with their driver offerings over the years, whether intentional or not. Staying one OEM is better than another OEM is a dumb argument because there are many players for whom their launch conditions (high spin low launch, low spin high launch, etc) will fit better with the clubs from a specific manufacturer. Agree that what's better for you may not be better for me.

The only point I ever try to make is that offerings from all OEMs can continue to get better. The common belief that drivers are maxed out because of the rules and that all we get are new paint jobs is simply not true. There is still room for innovation by each company that can be measured and proven to be true. When someone claims the OEMs are spewing BS, you're implying that the companies are not truthful. And I know this is not the case because their legal department would not let them make the claims they do without them reaching a high degree of accuracy.

Yea. BS is just a bit of hyperbole on my part .....

But it’s still way more pilot than airplane. Which is my real point.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock