2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

AT&T Pebble Beach

flushem

I think any time someone loses to a guy that shoots lower than his index there's whispers of him being a sandbagger. I attribute it more to people not understanding what handicap index represents because there's a much higher percentage of vanity cappers than sandbaggers.

I've played interclub net golf in Southern California Team Play for 25 years. And net golf at the few clubs I've belonged to in club tournaments for those same 25 years. I've seen it all. If you are a member at a club where there is a nice, even playing field where all of the net players evenly split the prizes in net events, then good for you.

That is NOT the norm. Every club I have been a member at has somewhere between 6 and 10 guys who are in the money (top 3 to top 5?) in an outrageously high percentage of tournaments they play in. They shoot all kinds of net 77's during the week, and then always mange to shoot 66 to 71 net whenever it really counts. Over and over and over and over. They manage their handicaps with precision and dedication. It must be exhausting. LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its easy to sit at home at call FedEx guy a sandbagger but obviously CBS isn't going to air his duck hooks, shanks, and chili dips. He was hitting the ball solid but hard to judge if you're not walking with his group.

Fair point. But seeing the quality of shots he did hit that they did show (and there were several), does it jive to you with the list of posted scores?

He's only got an 11 shot range between high and low scores as a 15? It reminds me of the 15 I played against who had 3 sand saves on the front 9 in a team match play match.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Its easy to sit at home at call FedEx guy a sandbagger but obviously CBS isn't going to air his duck hooks, shanks, and chili dips. He was hitting the ball solid but hard to judge if you're not walking with his group.

Fair point. But seeing the quality of shots he did hit that they did show (and there were several), does it jive to you with the list of posted scores?

He's only got an 11 shot range between high and low scores as a 15? It reminds me of the 15 I played against who had 3 sand saves on the front 9 in a team match play match.

Exactly the point I made earlier. I would be curious as to the spread in scores most people have in relation to their cap.

Hard to say but being that he is the leader in the AM tourney, seems like he is definitely playing at a higher level than advertised.

Maybe he's an above average ball striker but has a lousy short game? (I'm mostly playing devils advocate here)

I think any time someone loses to a guy that shoots lower than his index there's whispers of him being a sandbagger. I attribute it more to people not understanding what handicap index represents because there's a much higher percentage of vanity cappers than sandbaggers.

I've played interclub net golf in Southern California Team Play for 25 years. And net golf at the few clubs I've belonged to in club tournaments for those same 25 years. I've seen it all. If you are a member at a club where there is a nice, even playing field where all of the net players evenly split the prizes in net events, then good for you.

That is NOT the norm. Every club I have been a member at has somewhere between 6 and 10 guys who are in the money (top 3 to top 5?) in an outrageously high percentage of tournaments they play in. They shoot all kinds of net 77's during the week, and then always mange to shoot 66 to 71 net whenever it really counts. Over and over and over and over. They manage their handicaps with precision and dedication. It must be exhausting. LOL

And all to win a $75 golf shop gift certificate. These are usually reasonably wealthy, educated men. I don't get that need to win at any cost, including your integrity.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Curious, how many guys - knowing they are playing at PB Pro AM - are 1 round a week players for the last 6 months ?

I'm thinking there was a lot of "No, Charlie, I'm not going to play today. Just going to go out and practice on the course a bit...."

2.5 hours and 18 holes later....

LOL

And all to win a $75 golf shop gift certificate. These are usually reasonably wealthy, educated men. I don't get that need to win at any cost, including your integrity.

Egos?

Hard to say but being that he is the leader in the AM tourney, seems like he is definitely playing at a higher level than advertised.

Maybe he's an above average ball striker but has a lousy short game? (I'm mostly playing devils advocate here)

Like the mythical WRX'er who's a great ball striker (and plays blades) but can't putt or chip? :lol: Actually they showed the guy get up and down more than a few times.

Curious, how many guys - knowing they are playing at PB Pro AM - are 1 round a week players for the last 6 months ?

I'm thinking there was a lot of "No, Charlie, I'm not going to play today. Just going to go out and practice on the course a bit...."

2.5 hours and 18 holes later.... and 75 strokes later!

LOL

Added a part for you Obee

I will say this: it is lift clean and place. That definitely helps mid-cappers.

But's it's freezing cold and the rough is relatively thick and soaking wet. So ....

But's it's freezing cold and the rough is relatively thick and soaking wet. So ....

I think it's only in closely mown areas and not everywhere through the green?

He does have a Tour pro reading his putts and a gallery and marshals finding his wayward shots. I guess that's worth 5 shots a round on his HC. I think he's helped the team score by 18 shots.

The announcers talk like people actually GAF who wins the amateur team event. This entire clown tournament needs to go away.

Agreed keep this s*** to Thursday and Frida if they have to have it, or better yet get rid of it. I don't give a f*** about watching amateurs play that aren't any better than me.

Conversely we cannot do anything about having to initially read your post,

but it does help us share the same feelings you have about the golf tournament.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

He does have a Tour pro reading his putts and a gallery and marshals finding his wayward shots. I guess that's worth 5 shots a round on his HC. I think he's helped the team score by 18 shots.

I thought I saw Phil have his ball in hand on #15 (I think that’s where it was, right rough), and placing it, so I think they were LCP everywhere. But I’m certainly not sure on that.

The irony of net golf is that the cheater almost always wins. If you pad your cap 3 or 4 strokes that's like starting 4 under. Any focus and you should win.

Any time a guy has put 10 consistent scores like that into his ghin you can assume he's cheating. Only posts when he plays some junk game at a certain club. Probably has a host of memberships and plays 3 or 4 times a week, but posts 3 or 4 times a month.

Like the mythical WRX'er who's a great ball striker (and plays blades) but can't putt or chip? :lol: Actually they showed the guy get up and down more than a few times.

Really the only way to confirm is to see what the FedEx guy has scored these four days.

And I told ya I was playing advocate but yes, I have played with people who strike the ball surprisingly well for how lost they are around the green.

Really the only way to confirm is to see what the FedEx guy has scored these four days.

And I told ya I was playing advocate but yes, I have played with people who strike the ball surprisingly well for how lost they are around the green.

He's helped the team score by 18 shots. They don't have the amateur's individual scores listed since they pick up when out of the hole.

A much better question is what has he scored on holes where his Partner wasn’t in good shape. It’s really easy to watch your partner (whose made a bunch of birdies) stick one close and then proceed to turn a four into a six or seven. Or ball in pocket when he’s in decent shape but his partner is already when with a number.

The thing to do will be to watch him in the coming weeks and see if he posts these 4 rounds. You can and should post them as T scores even if you don’t putt out each hole because of the format. If he posts them honestly , it should throw up a red flag R score by the USga and get him an adjustment. No way he isn’t breaking 85 this week hitting it like that.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He's helped the team score by 18 shots. They don't have the amateur's individual scores listed since they pick up when out of the hole.

If he’s helped by 18 and they’re 33 under (with Casey at what 14 under),then he has been stellar, really stellar, when needed. Because I’m sure he’s been in pocket on a few of Casey’s birdies.

I guessed Clint was looking at the monitors ?!?!

He was. He made a sly comment when they showed his bobble head doll. He is/was on point all afternoon. You just have to speak grumpy old man. And I’m fluent in it.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I thought I saw Phil have his ball in hand on #15 (I think that’s where it was, right rough), and placing it, so I think they were LCP everywhere. But I’m certainly not sure on that.

On the replay, just saw a guy play out of a horrible lie from the rough. Pretty sure it was LCP in the short grass only. Not certain, though.

On the replay, just saw a guy play out of a horrible lie from the rough. Pretty sure it was LCP in the short grass only. Not certain, though.

That probably right, maybe what I saw was a casual water situation or soemthing like that. Or possibly I’m just imagining I saw it. Which is also entirely possible anymore, maybe like Clint I dozed off and dreamed it!

The announcers talk like people actually GAF who wins the amateur team event. This entire clown tournament needs to go away.

whoa there ya ancient being from a far far away planet. You need prozac for your symptoms, this tourney has been around longer than you have been flailing your pud. Not easy to replace.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"