My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

> @bodhi555 said:

> Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

I commend you for giving the CB 4 iron a chance. Similar to your other comments on CBs, it's likely you are just more accustomed to your MBs. I don't expect this to happen, but I wonder if the results would be any different if you committed to practicing with the different clubs for a year.

There is no doubt that the MBs may work better for you now. However, some of your comments are also the kind of crap that drives the people that like GI clubs crazy. If I recall correctly, you play to about a 8-10 handicap and hit a bit under half your GIR. And then you told a +handicap instructor that people should just learn not to hit the ball out on the toe and that you never hit it out on the toe and only hit it fat "occasionally."

The news for you is that you must screw something else up a lot more than you think you do if you play to the level that you do hitting less than half your greens.

Again, maybe your MBs work better for you but please stop telling us that you have Tiger Woods' iron game (edit: or at least talking to us like you think you have his game/swing). You don't.

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @"Muirfield Willie" said:

> > Page 34, and we've accomplished nothing.

>

> Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

Maybe you need a hybrid or a 9 wood.

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @"Muirfield Willie" said:

> > Page 34, and we've accomplished nothing.

>

I’ve hit the 919T, and compared them to my 900T and 18MB since then.

Learned semi-cavity back forged irons are rediculousely easy to hit but my 18MB give me the optimized numbers and where shaving hairs at this point.

Also keeping my 900T for decoration since the have 3 majors and my 18MB are my daily gamers.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > >

> > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > >

> > > > > $50 for an old set of blades is a counterpoint to WHAT exactly ? Doesn't look like anything you quoted.

> > > > >

> > > > > Or are you just intent on re-lighting the fire ?

> > > >

> > > > It was a counterpoint to this point: "It is never what anyone plays that annoys so many on WRX, **it is recommending MB's to players they know nothing about** and maintaining MB's are as forgiving as any other iron." People may read this thread without posting, both now and in the future. I know I definitely find myself visiting older threads--I've found helpful stuff on my Ping Redwood putter from threads that are 8-10 years old.

> > > >

> > > > I grant that a random golfer's mileage may vary in hitting blades, and I will never see that person's swing. But there are very cheap ways for that random/future person to test this theory on their own, without any real risk, and make up their own mind. : )

> > >

> > > So a link to an ad for a $50 set of old blades is a counterpoint to "It is never what anyone plays that annoys so many on WRX, it is recommending MB's to players they know nothing about" ???

> > >

> > > OK, Got it. LMAO

> > >

> >

> > Even if it isn't a counterpoint, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is with saying "try them and see how you get on"? They are golf clubs with the weight in a slightly different position than your shovels - it's hardly suggesting people try Crystal Meth now is it?

>

> Is THAT what he meant ? I should buy a set of cheap baldes and try them ?!?!?! LMAO

>

> Goodness gracious. Does he, or YOU for that matter, think any experienced player, who plays some form of CB and offers the POV they are better for the higher handicap players scores, HASN'T tried MBs ??? He just drank the Kool Aid ???

>

> ![](https://media1.tenor.com/images/94423546cd3bda4fa28573e394debc64/tenor.gif?itemid=8042442 "")

>

>

>

>

>

FYI: FG 59's for $50 is a steal, they are great irons.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

> .....The news for you is that you must **** something else up a lot more than you think you do if you play to the level that you do hitting less than half your greens......

>

>

FYI: A 5-10 should average 7-8 greens, scratch only average 9-10. The guy is well within average even with blades. His miss is probably most likely catching ball too low on face and probably path issues too, which would all be quite normal for 5-10.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

>

> > .....The news for you is that you must **** something else up a lot more than you think you do if you play to the level that you do hitting less than half your greens......

> >

>

> >

>

> FYI: A 5-10 should average 7-8 greens, scratch only average 9-10. The guy is well within average even with blades. His miss is probably most likely catching ball too low on face and probably path issues too, which would all be quite normal for 5-10.

Agree. He's about where he should be at for his level. I'm talking absolute though vs. the way he seems to be speaking to us (the opposition). Personally, I don't buy the "I'm a good iron player for my index = play blades" when the absolute level could still be dramatically improved (unless of course you just don't care or the blades actually do produce better results for you). As always, others may think differently.

There seems to be an assumption by some that CB/GI are for players who are "lazy" and don't/won't practice enough. I can say that I physically cannot hit balls every day. Back in the day I would gladly hit multiple buckets at the range. But combine physical limitations with time limitations and it comes down to cost/benefit calculation. With a given amount of time to practice, what are you going to work on? Do you hit a blade to hone your ball-striking at the expense of short or long game practice? Certainly depends on the player, but in my case, though my ego would love to game a blade, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. For others it may be. But I've seen plenty of guys who are great ball strikers but can't putt to save their lives or score. And other guys who hit it 300+ of the tee but when it comes to the wedge they might as well be using a cane. Everybody has a different game and different aspects they like to work on. But at some point it becomes a zero-sum game so one needs to triage and prioritize.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

> >

> > > .....The news for you is that you must **** something else up a lot more than you think you do if you play to the level that you do hitting less than half your greens......

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> > FYI: A 5-10 should average 7-8 greens, scratch only average 9-10. The guy is well within average even with blades. His miss is probably most likely catching ball too low on face and probably path issues too, which would all be quite normal for 5-10.

>

> Agree. He's about where he should be at for his level. I'm talking absolute though vs. the way he seems to be speaking to us (the opposition). Personally, I don't buy the "I'm a good iron player for my index = play blades" when the absolute level could still be dramatically improved (unless of course you just don't care or the blades actually do produce better results for you). As always, others may think differently.

Agree. As I do with Nostatic. I don't judge bags on any level, don't judge fellow golfers by their game either. Golf is not real life anyway. Look I kinda get his perspective simply because I play MB's on a decided level. Trust this, I'm not delusional, thinking I'm "good enough". In fact, it's the opposite. I find myself chiming in on this topic because the framework of thinking about gear and player has been off key forever. Getting good at this game has all to do with technique and not tech. The tech is a tool that should be employed to step your way to that. Use as much or as little as desired, whether you're scratch or 20 so long as it's kept in perspective. Really hard to say, the game in a grander way has done that. When I sit there on the range near a group lesson, the Pro spends half the time selling gear instead of actually teaching. Golf is like martial arts, takes years of discipline to attain competence. The golf industry is not run on that model and there's a lot of coin as to why. You cannot monetize and post quarterly earnings on teaching technique, you can on gear. This has been like this for 30 years and for all the good tech brings, there has been a downside too. We are now at the point where a person who spends $2500 on PXG clubs is deemed rational and the guy who loves his old Hogan's that cost $300 is deemed insane all with little regard to what tech does or does not do and even which tech has propelled the game "forward". Of all the advances in the last decades, imo the tech of irons rates near the bottom in terms of real impact yet maintains an outsized credit for making the game "more fun" largely due to it's first to market presense.. Traditional clubs are not easier to play but they are also not all that difficult to adjust to and there are real advantages to their use. But many will never find that out at a Demo Day Derby or 4 rounds or maybe even 4 months so in a way, not surprising we end up jabbering about this stuff in a less than nuanced way.

• Like 2

> @nostatic said:

> There seems to be an assumption by some that CB/GI are for players who are "lazy" and don't/won't practice enough. I can say that I physically cannot hit balls every day. Back in the day I would gladly hit multiple buckets at the range. But combine physical limitations with time limitations and it comes down to cost/benefit calculation. With a given amount of time to practice, what are you going to work on? Do you hit a blade to hone your ball-striking at the expense of short or long game practice? Certainly depends on the player, but in my case, though my ego would love to game a blade, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. For others it may be. But I've seen plenty of guys who are great ball strikers but can't putt to save their lives or score. And other guys who hit it 300+ of the tee but when it comes to the wedge they might as well be using a cane. Everybody has a different game and different aspects they like to work on. But at some point it becomes a zero-sum game so one needs to triage and prioritize.

>

>

>

This is a problem, if a person has such a high maintenance swing that they need to practice so much, no equipment is going to help. There's something fundamentally wrong with the swing that's gotta be fixed with a good instructor (bad instructors are a dime a dozen). Practicing a bad swing doesn't help and neither does equipment.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

> @Nard_S said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

>

> > .....The news for you is that you must **** something else up a lot more than you think you do if you play to the level that you do hitting less than half your greens......

> >

>

> >

>

> FYI: A 5-10 should average 7-8 greens, scratch only average 9-10. The guy is well within average even with blades. His miss is probably most likely catching ball too low on face and probably path issues too, which would all be quite normal for 5-10.

Are you sure we've never played together? As you've pretty much summed up exactly where I am - finding the centre of the club is not a problem - if anything I'm usually closer to the heel, and rarely catch it out of the toe - keeping the club straight on the way through? There's my issue, and it's something I find much easier with smaller heads.

Do I have an issue elsewhere that keeps me off 8? Damn right. GIR are a bit of a challenge when your 1st ball is OOB right and you are playing 3 from the trees on the left. Add in the odd concentration lapse around the green, and that's why I can quite happily have two doubles and a triple and still shoot 8 over - as I did in my last competitive round.

Not sure if any of the above is a good justification to practice for a year with irons I don't like to see if I shave a shot off my score tho.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @Bigmean said:

> Hey you have my game! Bad tee shots make GIR tough, and believe it or not you can flush center/close enough strike balls most of the round and miss hella greens becuase you have a tendency to double cross both ways so the tech really is moot.

Your argument is also moot. Do you flush most every iron during every round?

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > Speak for yourself. In 34 pages I've bought a CB 4 iron, tried it extensively, realised it's no easier to hit than my MB 4 iron, and determined that half the conversation are chatting a load of old bollocks :)

> >

> > > .....The news for you is that you must **** something else up a lot more than you think you do if you play to the level that you do hitting less than half your greens......

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> > FYI: A 5-10 should average 7-8 greens, scratch only average 9-10. The guy is well within average even with blades. His miss is probably most likely catching ball too low on face and probably path issues too, which would all be quite normal for 5-10.

>

> Are you sure we've never played together? As you've pretty much summed up exactly where I am - finding the centre of the club is not a problem - if anything I'm usually closer to the heel, and rarely catch it out of the toe - keeping the club straight on the way through? There's my issue, and it's something I find much easier with smaller heads.

>

> Do I have an issue elsewhere that keeps me off 8? **** right. GIR are a bit of a challenge when your 1st ball is OOB right and you are playing 3 from the trees on the left. Add in the odd concentration lapse around the green, and that's why I can quite happily have two doubles and a triple and still shoot 8 over - as I did in my last competitive round.

>

> Not sure if any of the above is a good justification to practice for a year with irons I don't like to see if I shave a shot off my score tho.

Hah, lucky guess from bird of the feather. Irony is MB's by their inherent bias toward heavy overall weight actually add GI in the case of path issues. Modern metals do not. Nor do GI/CB. In fact they can aggravate the scenario despite the massive head and hit zone. Can you get that in a players' CB? Sure but it even rarer to find these days and if you do you find it the added MOI does not amount to whole lot. It becomes somewhat of a nothing burger. So it's easier to drill down in traditional, optimize weight and profile and go about your way. At least that's where I sit with it all.

It might be presumptuous on my behalf but it kind of seems from where I sit that some players are just more results-oriented than others. I don’t mean that in an offensive way. It’s merely an observation.

When I read this thread, I get the sense that the look and feel of a blade is influencing certain individuals to a great extent. Meanwhile others are less concerned with aesthetics and don’t care as much what gets them to the best possible score: forged, cast, blade, cavity, player’s club, game-improvement, etc.

I’ll be honest, I really don’t care if a Mizuno feels a little better than a Titleist or if a 718 MB feels a little better than a 718 CB. Who honestly has time to obsess about that stuff? Put simply, I care about score. I find the peripheral arguments about feel somewhat pointless. At best it’s all subjective anyway. For instance, I thought the MP-64 cavities felt _better_ than the 716 MB blades!

Playing a MB is fine by me and I can certainly wrap my head around the arguments in favor of it being a practice club that isolates contact quality. However, with alternatives like Titleist’s CB and MB irons looking nearly identical these days, players going with the blades are doing so on looks and feel.

I simply don’t believe a 10-handicap who claims that he needs more workability than the CB provides.

The more I play, the more I feel like golf is a fun way to waste my time and money. It’s a hobby. So that’s what guides my thinking. To some people, that means “play what inspires you” and I get that rationale. To others, golf being a game means scores are the only thing that matters. A birdie is a birdie no matter if it comes off club A or club B. That makes sense as well.

I fall into the latter camp.

If I just wanted to hit shots, look at my clubs, feel the sensation of impact and imagine myself as being good I’d never have a reason to leave the driving range.

But for me, golf is about proving you can actually play. Being called a range rat is still an insult from where I stand. It means you work harder than others to end up in the same spot. I hate that.

So I want to focus on score which means diversifying my practice, limiting the time spent hitting irons on the range and navigating a host of imperfect conditions on the actual course.

My honest opinion? A lot of you "better than my handicap suggests" folk need to stop obsessing about the feel of your good shots and start worrying about the feel of your bad shots anyway.

CBs mask the harsh feel of a bad shot. That's a good thing! Since switching from Titleist MBs to CBs earlier this year, I honestly can't recall a terrible feeling shot. I've hit some bad ones but nothing is so offensive that I'm thinking about it 3 holes later, which is exactly what you get with blades. And if you're a 10-handicap, you're hitting a lot of lousy shots. You're missing a lot of greens with "could have been better" approaches.

To be fair, if you aren't a low single-figures who hits 2/3rds of the GIR you have no business in a blade. A 10 handicap isn't good enough to take advantage of the blade's properties. A few lucky shots do not change that.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> It might be presumptuous on my behalf but it kind of seems from where I sit that some players are just more results-oriented than others. I don’t mean that in an offensive way. It’s merely an observation.

>

> When I read this thread, I get the sense that the look and feel of a blade is influencing certain individuals to a great extent. Meanwhile others are less concerned with aesthetics and don’t care as much what gets them to the best possible score: forged, cast, blade, cavity, player’s club, game-improvement, etc.

>

> I’ll be honest, I really don’t care if a Mizuno feels a little better than a Titleist or if a 718 MB feels a little better than a 718 CB. Who honestly has time to obsess about that stuff? Put simply, I care about score. I find the peripheral arguments about feel somewhat pointless. At best it’s all subjective anyway. For instance, I thought the MP-64 cavities felt _better_ than the 716 MB blades!

>

> Playing a MB is fine by me and I can certainly wrap my head around the arguments in favor of it being a practice club that isolates contact quality. However, with alternatives like Titleist’s CB and MB irons looking nearly identical these days, players going with the blades are doing so on looks and feel.

>

> I simply don’t believe a 10-handicap who claims that he needs more workability than the CB provides.

>

>

>

> The more I play, the more I feel like golf is a fun way to waste my time and money. It’s a hobby. So that’s what guides my thinking. To some people, that means “play what inspires you” and I get that rationale. To others, golf being a game means scores are the only thing that matters. A birdie is a birdie no matter if it comes off club A or club B. That makes sense as well.

>

> I fall into the latter camp.

>

> If I just wanted to hit shots, look at my clubs, feel the sensation of impact and imagine myself as being good I’d never have a reason to leave the driving range.

>

> But for me, golf is about proving you can actually play. Being called a range rat is still an insult from where I stand. It means you work harder than others to end up in the same spot. I hate that.

>

> So I want to focus on score which means diversifying my practice, limiting the time spent hitting irons on the range and navigating a host of imperfect conditions on the actual course.

>

>

> My honest opinion? A lot of you "better than my handicap suggests" folk need to stop obsessing about the feel of your good shots and start worrying about the feel of your bad shots anyway.

>

> CBs mask the harsh feel of a bad shot. That's a good thing! Since switching from Titleist MBs to CBs earlier this year, I honestly can't recall a terrible feeling shot. I've hit some bad ones but nothing is so offensive that I'm thinking about it 3 holes later, which is exactly what you get with blades. And if you're a 10-handicap, you're hitting a lot of lousy shots. You're missing a lot of greens with "could have been better" approaches.

>

> To be fair, if you aren't a low single-figures who hits 2/3rds of the GIR you have no business in a blade. A 10 handicap isn't good enough to take advantage of the blade's properties. A few lucky shots do not change that.

>

>

Why do you think a person's handicap is the sole factor in deciding what clubs they play? If that's the case than should a high handicap person use a driver? You can bet they are not flushing it all the time. For that matter, they should not play wedges either, because as a 20 handicap they are not good enough to take advantage of what the wedge has to offer.

There are many reason a person is a scratch, 10, 20, or 30 handicap and which irons they choose to play could be or could not be the cause of their cap. Some have just discounted the fact they have trouble off the tee that cost them strokes or they hit the center of the face with their irons, but with the face closed/open which causes a missed GIR. In my experience I have not seen a club that will help this miss, because if it existed it would be in my bag.

• Like 1

> @MelloYello said:

> It might be presumptuous on my behalf but it kind of seems from where I sit that some players are just more results-oriented than others. I don’t mean that in an offensive way. It’s merely an observation.

>

> When I read this thread, I get the sense that the look and feel of a blade is influencing certain individuals to a great extent. Meanwhile others are less concerned with aesthetics and don’t care as much what gets them to the best possible score: forged, cast, blade, cavity, player’s club, game-improvement, etc.

>

> I’ll be honest, I really don’t care if a Mizuno feels a little better than a Titleist or if a 718 MB feels a little better than a 718 CB. Who honestly has time to obsess about that stuff? Put simply, I care about score. I find the peripheral arguments about feel somewhat pointless. At best it’s all subjective anyway. For instance, I thought the MP-64 cavities felt _better_ than the 716 MB blades!

>

> Playing a MB is fine by me and I can certainly wrap my head around the arguments in favor of it being a practice club that isolates contact quality. However, with alternatives like Titleist’s CB and MB irons looking nearly identical these days, players going with the blades are doing so on looks and feel.

>

> I simply don’t believe a 10-handicap who claims that he needs more workability than the CB provides.

>

>

>

> The more I play, the more I feel like golf is a fun way to waste my time and money. It’s a hobby. So that’s what guides my thinking. To some people, that means “play what inspires you” and I get that rationale. To others, golf being a game means scores are the only thing that matters. A birdie is a birdie no matter if it comes off club A or club B. That makes sense as well.

>

>

> If I just wanted to hit shots, look at my clubs, feel the sensation of impact and imagine myself as being good I’d never have a reason to leave the driving range.

>

> But for me, golf is about proving you can actually play. Being called a range rat is still an insult from where I stand. It means you work harder than others to end up in the same spot. I hate that.

>

> So I want to focus on score which means diversifying my practice, limiting the time spent hitting irons on the range and navigating a host of imperfect conditions on the actual course.

>

>

> My honest opinion? A lot of you "better than my handicap suggests" folk need to stop obsessing about the feel of your good shots and start worrying about the feel of your bad shots anyway.

>

> CBs mask the harsh feel of a bad shot. That's a good thing! Since switching from Titleist MBs to CBs earlier this year, I honestly can't recall a terrible feeling shot. I've hit some bad ones but nothing is so offensive that I'm thinking about it 3 holes later, which is exactly what you get with blades. And if you're a 10-handicap, you're hitting a lot of lousy shots. You're missing a lot of greens with "could have been better" approaches.

>

> To be fair, if you aren't a low single-figures who hits 2/3rds of the GIR you have no business in a blade. A 10 handicap isn't good enough to take advantage of the blade's properties. A few lucky shots do not change that.

>

>

So much dogmatic nonsense in one post I'm not entirely sure where to begin, however to say a 10 hcp can't take advantage of a set of blades is the biggest horse faeces of the lot. With all the variation in games and strengths in the game out there, I honestly don't see how you can make such an assertion. But then to suggest that finishing 10 over par after 3.5 hours of golf involves a lot of bad shots is higher tier nonsense. That is quite easily done after catching evey iron shot of the day bang out of the middle, but tweaking a drive or two and 3 putting a couple of times. Trust me that's my average game :smile:

Also, the single most pain I've ever had on a mishit was from a CB, in fact it was from the iron that started the whole GI craze - an Eye 2 3 iron I caught a little thin that I could still feel the next day.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @Golf4lifer said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > It might be presumptuous on my behalf but it kind of seems from where I sit that some players are just more results-oriented than others. I don’t mean that in an offensive way. It’s merely an observation.

> >

> > When I read this thread, I get the sense that the look and feel of a blade is influencing certain individuals to a great extent. Meanwhile others are less concerned with aesthetics and don’t care as much what gets them to the best possible score: forged, cast, blade, cavity, player’s club, game-improvement, etc.

> >

> > I’ll be honest, I really don’t care if a Mizuno feels a little better than a Titleist or if a 718 MB feels a little better than a 718 CB. Who honestly has time to obsess about that stuff? Put simply, I care about score. I find the peripheral arguments about feel somewhat pointless. At best it’s all subjective anyway. For instance, I thought the MP-64 cavities felt _better_ than the 716 MB blades!

> >

> > Playing a MB is fine by me and I can certainly wrap my head around the arguments in favor of it being a practice club that isolates contact quality. However, with alternatives like Titleist’s CB and MB irons looking nearly identical these days, players going with the blades are doing so on looks and feel.

> >

> > I simply don’t believe a 10-handicap who claims that he needs more workability than the CB provides.

> >

> >

> >

> > The more I play, the more I feel like golf is a fun way to waste my time and money. It’s a hobby. So that’s what guides my thinking. To some people, that means “play what inspires you” and I get that rationale. To others, golf being a game means scores are the only thing that matters. A birdie is a birdie no matter if it comes off club A or club B. That makes sense as well.

> >

> > I fall into the latter camp.

> >

> > If I just wanted to hit shots, look at my clubs, feel the sensation of impact and imagine myself as being good I’d never have a reason to leave the driving range.

> >

> > But for me, golf is about proving you can actually play. Being called a range rat is still an insult from where I stand. It means you work harder than others to end up in the same spot. I hate that.

> >

> > So I want to focus on score which means diversifying my practice, limiting the time spent hitting irons on the range and navigating a host of imperfect conditions on the actual course.

> >

> >

> > My honest opinion? A lot of you "better than my handicap suggests" folk need to stop obsessing about the feel of your good shots and start worrying about the feel of your bad shots anyway.

> >

> > CBs mask the harsh feel of a bad shot. That's a good thing! Since switching from Titleist MBs to CBs earlier this year, I honestly can't recall a terrible feeling shot. I've hit some bad ones but nothing is so offensive that I'm thinking about it 3 holes later, which is exactly what you get with blades. And if you're a 10-handicap, you're hitting a lot of lousy shots. You're missing a lot of greens with "could have been better" approaches.

> >

> > To be fair, if you aren't a low single-figures who hits 2/3rds of the GIR you have no business in a blade. A 10 handicap isn't good enough to take advantage of the blade's properties. A few lucky shots do not change that.

> >

> >

>

> Why do you think a person's handicap is the sole factor in deciding what clubs they play? If that's the case than should a high handicap person use a driver? You can bet they are not flushing it all the time. For that matter, they should not play wedges either, because as a 20 handicap they are not good enough to take advantage of what the wedge has to offer.

>

> There are many reason a person is a scratch, 10, 20, or 30 handicap and which irons they choose to play could be or could not be the cause of their cap. Some have just discounted the fact they have trouble off the tee that cost them strokes or they hit the center of the face with their irons, but with the face closed/open which causes a missed GIR. In my experience I have not seen a club that will help this miss, because if it existed it would be in my bag.

I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @bodhi555 said:

> ...is the biggest horse faeces of the lot.

C'mon...that's not a thing people say. I call BS on that phrase!

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > It might be presumptuous on my behalf but it kind of seems from where I sit that some players are just more results-oriented than others. I don’t mean that in an offensive way. It’s merely an observation.

> > >

> > > When I read this thread, I get the sense that the look and feel of a blade is influencing certain individuals to a great extent. Meanwhile others are less concerned with aesthetics and don’t care as much what gets them to the best possible score: forged, cast, blade, cavity, player’s club, game-improvement, etc.

> > >

> > > I’ll be honest, I really don’t care if a Mizuno feels a little better than a Titleist or if a 718 MB feels a little better than a 718 CB. Who honestly has time to obsess about that stuff? Put simply, I care about score. I find the peripheral arguments about feel somewhat pointless. At best it’s all subjective anyway. For instance, I thought the MP-64 cavities felt _better_ than the 716 MB blades!

> > >

> > > Playing a MB is fine by me and I can certainly wrap my head around the arguments in favor of it being a practice club that isolates contact quality. However, with alternatives like Titleist’s CB and MB irons looking nearly identical these days, players going with the blades are doing so on looks and feel.

> > >

> > > I simply don’t believe a 10-handicap who claims that he needs more workability than the CB provides.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > The more I play, the more I feel like golf is a fun way to waste my time and money. It’s a hobby. So that’s what guides my thinking. To some people, that means “play what inspires you” and I get that rationale. To others, golf being a game means scores are the only thing that matters. A birdie is a birdie no matter if it comes off club A or club B. That makes sense as well.

> > >

> > > I fall into the latter camp.

> > >

> > > If I just wanted to hit shots, look at my clubs, feel the sensation of impact and imagine myself as being good I’d never have a reason to leave the driving range.

> > >

> > > But for me, golf is about proving you can actually play. Being called a range rat is still an insult from where I stand. It means you work harder than others to end up in the same spot. I hate that.

> > >

> > > So I want to focus on score which means diversifying my practice, limiting the time spent hitting irons on the range and navigating a host of imperfect conditions on the actual course.

> > >

> > >

> > > My honest opinion? A lot of you "better than my handicap suggests" folk need to stop obsessing about the feel of your good shots and start worrying about the feel of your bad shots anyway.

> > >

> > > CBs mask the harsh feel of a bad shot. That's a good thing! Since switching from Titleist MBs to CBs earlier this year, I honestly can't recall a terrible feeling shot. I've hit some bad ones but nothing is so offensive that I'm thinking about it 3 holes later, which is exactly what you get with blades. And if you're a 10-handicap, you're hitting a lot of lousy shots. You're missing a lot of greens with "could have been better" approaches.

> > >

> > > To be fair, if you aren't a low single-figures who hits 2/3rds of the GIR you have no business in a blade. A 10 handicap isn't good enough to take advantage of the blade's properties. A few lucky shots do not change that.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Why do you think a person's handicap is the sole factor in deciding what clubs they play? If that's the case than should a high handicap person use a driver? You can bet they are not flushing it all the time. For that matter, they should not play wedges either, because as a 20 handicap they are not good enough to take advantage of what the wedge has to offer.

> >

> > There are many reason a person is a scratch, 10, 20, or 30 handicap and which irons they choose to play could be or could not be the cause of their cap. Some have just discounted the fact they have trouble off the tee that cost them strokes or they hit the center of the face with their irons, but with the face closed/open which causes a missed GIR. In my experience I have not seen a club that will help this miss, because if it existed it would be in my bag.

>

> I have never met a 10-handicap who's not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

>

> I'm not here to spare feelings. I have no reason not to express what I think.

I have never met a golfer who is not losing strokes with missed iron shots.

Who cares about feelings and what you think is not necessarily true.

> @MelloYello said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

To be fair, if you’re hitting 2/3 of GIR you should be on tour and playing anything you damn well like.

I play to 10 with my MP4s and totally take advantage of its properties. Firstly, the VCOG is lower than your 716s and are therefore easier to elevate for me (in fact they are easier to elevate than the AP2 which is the most disappointing iron I’ve ever tested but that’s another topic).

Combine that with relative consistency of contact and you have consistency of distance. Distance control leads to the ball finishing pretty close to where you intended which results in relatively good proximity. If you’re not on the green you’re not far off so it becomes a matter of practising your 8-iron bump and runs and your putting from inside 6 feet which I can do when I have a spare 10 minutes at home. I don’t get any other time to practice.

I played 42 rounds last year, 20 of which were handicap rounds. Taking all of the above into account, I finished the year at 9.6. I’m currently at 10.2 but know that as I play more golf throughout the summer I will get back near to that single figure handicap. The best I’ve ever been with CBs (Nike VR Split Cavities) was 10.2 but I played 82 rounds that year and I hit a lot more lousy shots with them as I do with the MP4s.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > Hey you have my game! Bad tee shots make GIR tough, and believe it or not you can flush center/close enough strike balls most of the round and miss hella greens becuase you have a tendency to double cross both ways so the tech really is moot.

>

> Your argument is also moot. Do you flush most every iron during every round?

My argument? I wasn’t aware that j was making one? I was just having fun with someone else who seems to have a similar handicap and issues.

Either way I find your question perplexing. I am not sure what your reading comprehension handicap is and if you should consider using a browser with

More forgiveness, but I did say “center / close enough, most of” so the “close enough” and “most of” part would indicate that no, I am clearly not flushing it every shot. I hope that answers your question.

I know this sounds crazy but you can 10 greens with blades and only “flush” 3-4 in a round being close enough all round. You can also beat down the sweet spot with amazing feeling dead center pull hooks or right side hangers and hit 4 greens while having awesome “contact” all day. I have done both, I doubt I am alone in that.

This perpetual argument of a non flushed blade once or 6 times a round means that you can’t play them and your non flushed CB shots are instantly putting you in a better position to score is ridiculous.

Tell you what, when you have a bag full of hybrids and the highest moi forgiving clubs allowed legally, then I may be able to respect hearing the forgiveness argument and how I don’t flush everything. But anyone playing a non super SGI CB talking about not flushing the ball all round who doesn’t have a bag full of hybrids is simply being a Hypocrite.

• Like 2

> @mahonie said:

> To be fair, if you’re hitting 2/3 of GIR you should be on tour and playing anything you **** well like.

This is a great example of how people mislead themselves.

The vast majority of weekend golfers with some handicap play from 6,500 yards on courses with slope ratings between 120 and 130.

If you compare your results on a country club course to those of a professional you're not being fair at all. You're being naive.

Using naive assumptions like that leads to comments that sound delusional.

> @mahonie said:

> I play to 10 with my MP4s and totally take advantage of its properties.

Fine. I don't believe you. But fine.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Bigmean said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > > Hey you have my game! Bad tee shots make GIR tough, and believe it or not you can flush center/close enough strike balls most of the round and miss hella greens becuase you have a tendency to double cross both ways so the tech really is moot.

> >

> > Your argument is also moot. Do you flush most every iron during every round?

>

> My argument? I wasn’t aware that j was making one? I was just having fun with someone else who seems to have a similar handicap and issues.

>

> Either way I find your question perplexing. I am not sure what your reading comprehension handicap is and if you should consider using a browser with

> More forgiveness, but I did say “center / close enough, most of” so the “close enough” and “most of” part would indicate that no, I am clearly not flushing it every shot. I hope that answers your question.

>

> I know this sounds crazy but you can 10 greens with blades and only “flush” 3-4 in a round being close enough all round. You can also beat down the sweet spot with amazing feeling dead center pull hooks or right side hangers and hit 4 greens while having awesome “contact” all day. I have done both, I doubt I am alone in that.

>

> This perpetual argument of a non flushed blade once or 6 times a round means that you can’t play them and your non flushed CB shots are instantly putting you in a better position to score is ridiculous.

>

> Tell you what, when you have a bag full of hybrids and the highest moi forgiving clubs allowed legally, then I may be able to respect hearing the forgiveness argument and how I don’t flush everything. But anyone playing a non super SGI CB talking about not flushing the ball all round who doesn’t have a bag full of hybrids is simply being a Hypocrite.

>

>

>

>

>

Lol sure you did. You claimed ball striking was moot because you drive it out of play and perfect ball striking could still mean that you miss left or right.

Mellow I think that what you are saying is valid, but again, golf is sooo mental. You can’t make the mistake of saying someone more concerned with score would use X.

Look at it instead like there are two main equipment motivating factors to obtaining confidence to donyour best score well.

1. Your confidence that you have the scientifically best advantage of new equipment(regardless of validity)

2. Your confidence in the feel and trust of your gear. You need to jive with your gear and you play best with that gear becuase it connects with you (again, regardless of validity).

So in those camps of how you feel about gear, are deep thoughts of being right becuase the camp you are in you know works best for you.

And then most are in middle and can go and do go either way.

I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @Bigmean said:

> > > > Hey you have my game! Bad tee shots make GIR tough, and believe it or not you can flush center/close enough strike balls most of the round and miss hella greens becuase you have a tendency to double cross both ways so the tech really is moot.

> > >

> > > Your argument is also moot. Do you flush most every iron during every round?

> >

> > My argument? I wasn’t aware that j was making one? I was just having fun with someone else who seems to have a similar handicap and issues.

> >

> > Either way I find your question perplexing. I am not sure what your reading comprehension handicap is and if you should consider using a browser with

> > More forgiveness, but I did say “center / close enough, most of” so the “close enough” and “most of” part would indicate that no, I am clearly not flushing it every shot. I hope that answers your question.

> >

> > I know this sounds crazy but you can 10 greens with blades and only “flush” 3-4 in a round being close enough all round. You can also beat down the sweet spot with amazing feeling dead center pull hooks or right side hangers and hit 4 greens while having awesome “contact” all day. I have done both, I doubt I am alone in that.

> >

> > This perpetual argument of a non flushed blade once or 6 times a round means that you can’t play them and your non flushed CB shots are instantly putting you in a better position to score is ridiculous.

> >

> > Tell you what, when you have a bag full of hybrids and the highest moi forgiving clubs allowed legally, then I may be able to respect hearing the forgiveness argument and how I don’t flush everything. But anyone playing a non super SGI CB talking about not flushing the ball all round who doesn’t have a bag full of hybrids is simply being a Hypocrite.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Lol sure you did. You claimed ball striking was moot because you drive it out of play and perfect ball striking could still mean that you miss left or right.

I know this seems redundant to say, but you probably don’t get self deprecation humor at all, so I can understand why you thought I was making some kind of other point.

Sorry for the confusion.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > To be fair, if you’re hitting 2/3 of GIR you should be on tour and playing anything you **** well like.

>

> This is a great example of how people mislead themselves.

>

> The vast majority of weekend golfers with some handicap play from 6,500 yards on courses with slope ratings between 120 and 130.

>

> If you compare your results on a country club course to those of a professional you're not being fair at all. You're being naive.

>

> Using naive assumptions like that leads to comments that sound delusional.

>

> > @mahonie said:

> > I play to 10 with my MP4s and totally take advantage of its properties.

>

> Fine. I don't believe you. But fine.

My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine or anybody else’s for that matter which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

Radius Classic 8

> @dpb5031 said:

> I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

>

> What do you guys think?

Go for it...it would be really interesting to see the results.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> >

> > What do you guys think?

>

> Go for it...it would be really interesting to see the results.

I'm registered and paid for a few upcoming tournaments that are important to me through about mid-June and don't want to risk having my play decline during whatever adjustment period there might be from the transition from my i200s. Perhaps after that I'll take a crack at it. It actually might be really fun to document the entire thing. In the meantime I'll be looking out for a decent and reasonably priced set of MB blades.

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball