My Experience Gaming Blades as a Mid-High Handicapper

Andus

> @dpb5031 said:

> I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring.

I just did this. For context, my handicap bounces around between 7-8. I have a garbage golf swing. My takeaway is flat/inside. I come in steep and over the top. I don't hit the ball far...at all (I hit a 5 iron 160 yards). My chipping and putting is very good though.

I hit my friend's Mizuno MP-18 MBs and loved how they felt, so I stubbornly bought a set. I'm no worse off with them after 30 rounds. Handicap hasn't moved at all.

Take that for what it's worth.

• Like 4

> @dpb5031 said:

> I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

>

> What do you guys think?

Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @asofine said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring.

> I just did this. For context, my handicap bounces around between 7-8. I have a garbage golf swing. My takeaway is flat/inside. I come in steep and over the top. I don't hit the ball far...at all (I hit a 5 iron 160 yards). My chipping and putting is very good though.

>

> I hit my friend's Mizuno MP-18 MBs and loved how they felt, so I stubbornly bought a set. I'm no worse off with them after 30 rounds. Handicap hasn't moved at all.

>

> Take that for what it's worth.

>

Switching irons isn't likely to change your handicap if you're not trying. Irons themselves don't play that big a role. It's like switching drivers. It can help or hurt your shots slightly but it doesn't fix a bad player or ruin a good one.

What I'd like to see you do is actually put in the work to cut that handicap in half. Fix the swing and get some distance going.

In short, make some progress and then see whether you have the same cavalier attitude about the irons. If you're just floating along at an 8 then you can keep making all the equipment changes in the world and stay right there.

To me, that doesn't prove (or disprove) anything. Just my experience.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> >

> > What do you guys think?

>

> Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @mahonie said:

>

> My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> @mahonie said:

> You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> @mahonie said:

> ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @dpb5031 said:

>

> My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

>

> I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

>

> It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

Yeah, I figured with your earlier comments that your practice routine is pretty regular.

I'd say go for it. I'd love to read your thoughts!

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @mahonie said:

> >

> > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

>

> That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

>

> > @mahonie said:

> > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

>

> This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

>

> > @mahonie said:

> > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

>

> I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

>

>

You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Bottom line: If you're continually obsessed with score and index with whatever gear you carry, you're in for a lot of disappointment and unnecessary aggravation. If you think iron head is the primary determinant of score, good luck with that. Golf is not about perfect it is about inner grace surrounded by a storm of the imperfect. You can & should address that from many angles, including the use of "tech ". A 10 may have no business playing blades but by that criteria they have no business playing an AP2 or carrying Vokey's or an Epic SZ either. We're not climbing the Iger without ropes here, it's just golf, a game chasing a ball around 70 acres for 4 hours. What's rational or truly consequential about any of that anyway?

• Like 1

> @mahonie said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > >

> > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> >

> > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> >

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> >

> > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> >

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> >

> > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> >

> >

>

> You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

Just promise not to hate me too much when you're laying in bed during one of those long, cold nights with your hands still stinging...or the next day when you're buying all those new balls after losing the last dozen in the water, LOL.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Nard_S said:

> Bottom line: If you're continually obsessed with score and index with whatever gear you carry, you're in for a lot of disappointment and unnecessary aggravation. If you think iron head is the primary determinant of score, good luck with that. Golf is not about perfect it is about inner grace surrounded by a storm of the imperfect. You can & should address that from many angles, including the use of "tech ". A 10 may have no business playing blades but by that criteria they have no business playing an AP2 or carrying Vokey's or an Epic SZ either. We're not climbing the Iger without ropes here, it's just golf, a game chasing a ball around 70 acres for 4 hours. What's rational or truly consequential about any of that anyway?

How _DARE_ you!?

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

MY Reality..

$120 Cobra Amp Cell pros PX 6.0's, PW - 6 iron - Daily set

$400 714 AP2 NS Pro 1150GH PW- 3 Iron - Back up set in office (old set)

Free Father in Law Mizuno MS-2 S200 shafts PW-3iron - In Japan the In-laws house collecting dust till I visit once or twice a year.

Now add in mixed wedges and Woods...a "Putter"

I shoot and or can shoot the same exact score with any of these clubs.... mid 80's without a sweat.... I miss with these clubs the same way...some chunks, some fats, some hooks, some slices..... but the end score results the same or nearly the same....

Does Blades make me better? Nope. Does Players GI's make me better? Nope..... I dont prefer SGI's period... so no point..... but I play with what I like and currently... I love my $120 Amp Cell Pros. And if I want to feel like Rickie Fowler for the day... I dont give a damn what anyone else thinks...... I got a normal day job that pays the bills. Golf only deteriorates my liver..

• Like 2

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @mahonie said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > >

> > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> >

> > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> >

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> >

> > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> >

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> >

> > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> >

> >

>

> You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

Only if you don’t mishit your MBs.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > >

> > > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> > >

> > > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> > >

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> > >

> > > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> > >

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> > >

> > > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

>

> Just promise not to hate me too much when you're laying in bed during one of those long, cold nights with your hands still stinging...or the next day when you're buying all those new balls after losing the last dozen in the water, LOL.

You’re not telling me you’ve never thinned a shot with those CBs of yours and your fingers have not burned as you’ve walked 30 yards past the green to try and find your ball in the cabbage...c’mon give me a break.

BTW ask Jordan, Brooks and Frankie about losing balls in the water...before you check what clubs were in the bag of that other guy.

Look, I’m pulling your chain...I know what’s good for my game as I’m sure you know what’s good for yours. For me it’s confidence in the club that’s in my hand after 38 years of trying every type of club and combination that’s going and as I’m playing the best golf of my life, nothing out there beats the MP4 for me...but I’m not going to say that it might not change in the future. However, for you to say that a 10 has no business playing blades is a totally misinformed opinion.

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

For what it’s worth, it seems like more modern clubs have managed to take the physical sting out of mishits, regardless of CB/MB.

Clubs that have really stung me, where I’ve had mild soreness in fingers over 24 hours: Mizuno T-Zoid Pro, Mizuno MP-69, Ping Eye 2.

Clubs that have never stung me:

Mizuno MP-4, Titleist AP1, Callaway Apex MB, Hogan Apex Redlines, JPX 900 Tour.

Personally, I’m not actually bothered by stung fingers. I think it’s a little funny and it doesn’t really hurt in a lasting way. And even though I’m hitting my MP-4s all the time, they don’t actually sting me even on the occasional botch.

If I had to choose between the two, I’d always take a bit of sting and a good shot result over no sting and a ball out of bounds. : )

> @mahonie said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > >

> > > > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> > > >

> > > > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> > > >

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> > > >

> > > > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> > > >

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> > > >

> > > > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

> >

> > Just promise not to hate me too much when you're laying in bed during one of those long, cold nights with your hands still stinging...or the next day when you're buying all those new balls after losing the last dozen in the water, LOL.

>

> You’re not telling me you’ve never thinned a shot with those CBs of yours and your fingers have not burned as you’ve walked 30 yards past the green to try and find your ball in the cabbage...c’mon give me a break.

>

> BTW ask Jordan, Brooks and Frankie about losing balls in the water...before you check what clubs were in the bag of that other guy.

>

> Look, I’m pulling your chain...I know what’s good for my game as I’m sure you know what’s good for yours. For me it’s confidence in the club that’s in my hand after 38 years of trying every type of club and combination that’s going and as I’m playing the best golf of my life, nothing out there beats the MP4 for me...but I’m not going to say that it might not change in the future. However, for you to say that a 10 has no business playing blades is a totally misinformed opinion.

Haha...dude, I'm just razzin' you as well. No offense taken. None intended. Just having fun.

I was hitting MBs last year. They're cool. I get it.

I was hoping we could keep that volley going...I was going to ask if the 80g, Tour-X shaft had cured that hook or if the cart girl finally complemented you on your white slacks?

Wouldn't the thread kind of be better like that? Just me?

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @BiggErn said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > >

> > > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> > >

> > > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> > >

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> > >

> > > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> > >

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> > >

> > > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

>

> Only if you don’t mishit your MBs.

I’m guessing my mishits and your mishits are not really that comparable? I remember from a previous thread that you are quite happy with the notion of hitting it all over the face which is something that I find not conducive to good golf.

Radius Classic 8

> @MelloYello said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> > > > >

> > > > > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> > > > >

> > > > > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> > > > >

> > > > > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> > > > >

> > > > > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

> > >

> > > Just promise not to hate me too much when you're laying in bed during one of those long, cold nights with your hands still stinging...or the next day when you're buying all those new balls after losing the last dozen in the water, LOL.

> >

> > You’re not telling me you’ve never thinned a shot with those CBs of yours and your fingers have not burned as you’ve walked 30 yards past the green to try and find your ball in the cabbage...c’mon give me a break.

> >

> > BTW ask Jordan, Brooks and Frankie about losing balls in the water...before you check what clubs were in the bag of that other guy.

> >

> > Look, I’m pulling your chain...I know what’s good for my game as I’m sure you know what’s good for yours. For me it’s confidence in the club that’s in my hand after 38 years of trying every type of club and combination that’s going and as I’m playing the best golf of my life, nothing out there beats the MP4 for me...but I’m not going to say that it might not change in the future. However, for you to say that a 10 has no business playing blades is a totally misinformed opinion.

>

> Haha...dude, I'm just razzin' you as well. No offense taken. None intended. Just having fun.

>

> I was hitting MBs last year. They're cool. I get it.

>

> I was hoping we could keep that volley going...I was going to ask if the 80g, Tour-X shaft had cured that hook or if the cart girl finally complemented you on your white slacks?

>

> Wouldn't the thread kind of be better like that? Just me?

Totally!!

80g Tour shaft is not for me (I’m a fader anyway) and that would turn it into a full blown slice.

White slacks have never been cool!! Peter Alliss once commented on the number of white slacks being worn at the Open one year and thought he had arrived at an ice cream sellers convention!! Not great in the UK in any event given the prevalence of wet weather.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > >

> > > > > My home course hosts a pro event every year so I’m comparing apples with apples and indeed it’s you who is being totally naive.

> > > >

> > > > That by itself is not comparing apples to apples at all.

> > > >

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > You may know your own game but you have not a clue about mine...

> > > >

> > > > This is the most apparent delusion of the mid-handicapper. They think being a 10 is incredible and that they're snowflakes...each totally unique.

> > > >

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > ...which means that your opinion doesn’t really count.

> > > >

> > > > I don't care if you like what I say or not. What I say is merely a reflection of what I've seen.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You keep hitting your mishits with your CBs and getting away with it and I’ll keep playing my MBs and scoring to my full potential ;-)

> >

> > Only if you don’t mishit your MBs.

>

> I’m guessing my mishits and your mishits are not really that comparable? I remember from a previous thread that you are quite happy with the notion of hitting it all over the face which is something that I find not conducive to good golf.

Lol. Yea I’m sure I said that. Lack of Comprehension, deflection, and exaggeration is pretty typical though so there’s that.

> @revanant said:

> For what it’s worth, it seems like more modern clubs have managed to take the physical sting out of mishits, regardless of CB/MB.

>

> Clubs that have really stung me, where I’ve had mild soreness in fingers over 24 hours: Mizuno T-Zoid Pro, Mizuno MP-69, Ping Eye 2.

>

> Clubs that have never stung me:

> Mizuno MP-4, Titleist AP1, Callaway Apex MB, Hogan Apex Redlines, JPX 900 Tour.

>

> Personally, I’m not actually bothered by stung fingers. I think it’s a little funny and it doesn’t really hurt in a lasting way. And even though I’m hitting my MP-4s all the time, they don’t actually sting me even on the occasional botch.

>

>** If I had to choose between the two, I’d always take a bit of sting and a good shot result over no sting and a ball out of bounds. : )**

What bollocks !!!

Who wouldn't ?

If those were the outcome choices there wouldn't be over 1,000 posts in this thread.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > >

> > > What do you guys think?

> >

> > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

>

> My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

>

> I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

>

> It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Nard_S said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > >

> > > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > >

> > > > > > $50 for an old set of blades is a counterpoint to WHAT exactly ? Doesn't look like anything you quoted.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Or are you just intent on re-lighting the fire ?

> > > > >

> > > > > It was a counterpoint to this point: "It is never what anyone plays that annoys so many on WRX, **it is recommending MB's to players they know nothing about** and maintaining MB's are as forgiving as any other iron." People may read this thread without posting, both now and in the future. I know I definitely find myself visiting older threads--I've found helpful stuff on my Ping Redwood putter from threads that are 8-10 years old.

> > > > >

> > > > > I grant that a random golfer's mileage may vary in hitting blades, and I will never see that person's swing. But there are very cheap ways for that random/future person to test this theory on their own, without any real risk, and make up their own mind. : )

> > > >

> > > > So a link to an ad for a $50 set of old blades is a counterpoint to "It is never what anyone plays that annoys so many on WRX, it is recommending MB's to players they know nothing about" ???

> > > >

> > > > OK, Got it. LMAO

> > > >

> > >

> > > Even if it isn't a counterpoint, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is with saying "try them and see how you get on"? They are golf clubs with the weight in a slightly different position than your shovels - it's hardly suggesting people try Crystal Meth now is it?

> >

> > Is THAT what he meant ? I should buy a set of cheap baldes and try them ?!?!?! LMAO

> >

> > Goodness gracious. Does he, or YOU for that matter, think any experienced player, who plays some form of CB and offers the POV they are better for the higher handicap players scores, HASN'T tried MBs ??? He just drank the Kool Aid ???

> >

> > ![](https://media1.tenor.com/images/94423546cd3bda4fa28573e394debc64/tenor.gif?itemid=8042442 "")

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> FYI: FG 59's for $50 is a steal, they are great irons.

It ain't a steal if they have zero value to me. So I really don't care and that wasn't *my* point anyway. I wouldn't play 'em for free,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > >

> > > > What do you guys think?

> > >

> > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> >

> > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> >

> > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> >

> > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

>

> It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

>

> You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

>

> You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

>

> And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

>

> Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

>

> Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

>

> But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

>

> Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

>

>

> @nsxguy said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > >

> > > > What do you guys think?

> > >

> > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> >

> > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> >

> > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> >

> > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

>

> It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

>

> You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

>

> You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

>

> And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

>

> Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

>

> Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

>

> But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

>

> Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

>

>

Why can’t he use his score? The score is a determining factor in getting your handicap and it doesn’t know or care what type of iron was used. If blades are so unforgiving then the first thing that should be effected is his score.

> @revanant said:

> For what it’s worth, it seems like more modern clubs have managed to take the physical sting out of mishits, regardless of CB/MB.

>

> Clubs that have really stung me, where I’ve had mild soreness in fingers over 24 hours: Mizuno T-Zoid Pro, Mizuno MP-69, Ping Eye 2.

>

> Clubs that have never stung me:

> Mizuno MP-4, Titleist AP1, Callaway Apex MB, Hogan Apex Redlines, JPX 900 Tour.

>

> Personally, I’m not actually bothered by stung fingers. I think it’s a little funny and it doesn’t really hurt in a lasting way. And even though I’m hitting my MP-4s all the time, they don’t actually sting me even on the occasional botch.

>

> If I had to choose between the two, I’d always take a bit of sting and a good shot result over no sting and a ball out of bounds. : )

MP-4 vs AP1 vs Apex MB vs JPX 900 tours.

You say you never go stung and its likely the modern club? I do question that?

When my game sucked when I first learned I got "stung" All day from TM Burner 1.0s

As I got better and went into the actual blade phase. I gut stung MANY times by the Nike Forged Blades I have to include a BEAUTIFUL 2 iron. I have gotten stung by those.

Now I play with AMP cell pros and AP2s. my contact is tremendously better than my Burner 1.0 days. Shots on the heal or toe or 2 grooves low still produce an unpleasant reaction? (Sting)

The point fed to the thread. if you DONT get "stung" by MP-4s or Apex MB... I dont think its a matter of Modern tech I dont think you have a face contact dispersion issue. As I can quite assume if you catch an MP 4 on the tow about a quarter size miss on the toe or that on the heal or 2 or even 3 grooves low, they would provide instance feed back that would be considered a "STING"....????? Modern tech I doubt reduces the "sting" effect.

Modern tech allows discretionary weight to be moved around to increase MOI on bladed Irons, To move discretionary weight around to increase ball speeds on less then optimal strikes. BUT I highly doubt that modern tech was designed to remove the sting from a terrible struct bladed iron?

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Golf4lifer said:

> Why can’t he use his score? The score is a determining factor in getting your handicap and it doesn’t know or care what type of iron was used. If blades are so unforgiving then the first thing that should be effected is his score.

>

He's just preparing some BS excuse in case....you know....reality hits the fan :-)

> @Golf4lifer said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > > >

> > > > > What do you guys think?

> > > >

> > > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> > >

> > > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> > >

> > > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> > >

> > > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

> >

> > It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

> >

> > You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

> >

> > You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

> >

> > And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

> >

> > Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

> >

> > Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

> >

> > But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

> >

> > Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

> >

> >

>

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > > >

> > > > > What do you guys think?

> > > >

> > > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> > >

> > > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> > >

> > > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> > >

> > > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

> >

> > It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

> >

> > You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

> >

> > You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

> >

> > And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

> >

> > Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

> >

> > Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

> >

> > But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

> >

> > Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

> >

> >

> Why can’t he use his score? The score is a determining factor in getting your handicap and it doesn’t know or care what type of iron was used. If blades are so unforgiving then the first thing that should be effected is his score.

>

>

[sigh]

Reading is fundamental.

His score, in and of itself, does NOT answer the "Which is better, blades or CB" "question".

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What do you guys think?

> > > > >

> > > > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> > > >

> > > > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> > > >

> > > > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> > > >

> > > > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

> > >

> > > It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

> > >

> > > You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

> > >

> > > You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

> > >

> > > And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

> > >

> > > Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

> > >

> > > Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

> > >

> > > But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

> > >

> > > Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What do you guys think?

> > > > >

> > > > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> > > >

> > > > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> > > >

> > > > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> > > >

> > > > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

> > >

> > > It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

> > >

> > > You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

> > >

> > > You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

> > >

> > > And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

> > >

> > > Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

> > >

> > > Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

> > >

> > > But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

> > >

> > > Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

> > >

> > >

> > Why can’t he use his score? The score is a determining factor in getting your handicap and it doesn’t know or care what type of iron was used. If blades are so unforgiving then the first thing that should be effected is his score.

> >

> >

>

> [sigh]

>

> Reading is fundamental.

>

> His score, in and of itself, does NOT answer the "Which is better, blades or CB" "question".

Reading comprehension is fundamental!!!

Isn’t the goal to get the best possible score and see which iron gives him that possibility? Again since score effects ones handicap if I score better with a cb/gi club then that is better for my game correct? If I score the same or better with a blade as a cb/gi then any of these club are good for my game and I can choose to play any of them. It’s just that simple.

My last round I shot a 77 and hit 4 greens. Which irons did I use?

> @Golf4lifer said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What do you guys think?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> > > > >

> > > > > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> > > > >

> > > > > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

> > > >

> > > > It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

> > > >

> > > > You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

> > > >

> > > > You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

> > > >

> > > > And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

> > > >

> > > > Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

> > > >

> > > > Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

> > > >

> > > > But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

> > > >

> > > > Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > > > I think I'm gonna pick up a full set of used blades and put them in play as an experiment for several GHIN handicap revisions just to see what happens to my scoring. I'm serious, and if/when I do, I'll start a separate thread. I'm currently a 2, having been as low as zero and as high as a 4 over past couple of seasons, so I'm at a good starting point. BTW, theres something on the line, either cash or tournament in every round I play, so I'd be putting full effort into every round to score as low as possible.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What do you guys think?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Good in theory but you'd have to make sure you didn't practice & play at a different rate so as to keep the comparison as reasonably "fair" as possible, you know? So I'd start documenting what you're doing now so you can replicate it later.

> > > > >

> > > > > My routine is very "regular" so that would not be difficult.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know others have claimed to have done this experiment, but if I'm not mistaken, most are all have been mid HC blade advocates claiming no difference in scoring from one to the next.

> > > > >

> > > > > It would be be a little different with me. I'm in the camp claiming that true MB blades will typically hurt scoring unless you're a pro or plus level am. Plus, I certainly would never intentionally or even subconsciously tank to prove myself right; I'll have my own cash on the line for every round...lol!

> > > >

> > > > It would be in anteresting experiment but only going by scores wouldn't prove a thing.

> > > >

> > > > You mentioned documentation, yes ? The only documentation that would be of any real use is objectively trying to quantify the outcomes of all strikes, the great strikes as well of the poor ones. As we all know golf is a game of wildly varying combinations leading to our "average" scores. One can have a terrible driving day and shoot 75. Or a poor iron striking day and get up and down from everywhere via excellent ships and/or a hot putter and shoot 75. One can hit 14 greens and 3 putt a few of them and shoot that same 75.

> > > >

> > > > You'd have to objectively evaluate whether or not that ball buried in the front lip of the bunker because of the poor iron strike or whether your CBs would've been in the same place or whether it *might* have carried the lip for a fairly straightforward par (or better).

> > > >

> > > > And whether you made the score you made on that hole was because of the poor result of a slight miss or whether you knocked an "impossible" lie tight or whether you just barely got it out and sank a 30 foot putt.

> > > >

> > > > Also, whether or not you were able to cut it or draw it into a tucked pin with the blade where the CB would've been problematic to hit the same shot and fairly conclude that the MB save you a shot there - or would the ultimate result of possibly not being able to carve the CB in would've even cost you a shot.

> > > >

> > > > Actually a very difficult undertaking with a lot of objective judgement on your part.

> > > >

> > > > But good on ya. Would certainly be interesting to here your conclusions.

> > > >

> > > > Would love to hear about a "10" doing exactly the same thing - have to wonder how much different it would be.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Why can’t he use his score? The score is a determining factor in getting your handicap and it doesn’t know or care what type of iron was used. If blades are so unforgiving then the first thing that should be effected is his score.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > [sigh]

> >

> > Reading is fundamental.

> >

> > His score, in and of itself, does NOT answer the "Which is better, blades or CB" "question".

>

> Reading comprehension is fundamental!!!

>

> Isn’t the goal to get the best possible score and see which iron gives him that possibility? Again since score effects ones handicap if I score better with a cb/gi club then that is better for my game correct? If I score the same or better with a blade as a cb/gi then any of these club are good for my game and I can choose to play any of them. It’s just that simple.

>

> My last round I shot a 77 and hit 4 greens. Which irons did I use?

>

>

![](https://media1.giphy.com/media/NZhO1SEuFmhj2/giphy.gif "")

Titleist Pro V1X