2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brooks or Rory?

J13

> @Shilgy said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @"Oz Max" said:

> > > Rory is just so **** frustrating to watch! he's got all the shots, when he's on... his Friday round at the Open was epic, you could feel he wanted it so bad.

> > > BK is a machine, a well oiled golfing machine though I don't enjoy watching him that much.

> > > At this point it's obvious he'll surpass Rory in the Majors count

> >

> > I tend to agree but things change, it wasn't that long ago that **Spieth looked like he was going to continue breaking records **and before that Tiger looked unstoppable but we all know what happened. Things can change.

> >

> > There is plenty of people enjoying the pile on with Rory but its too simple to say he's mentally weak. Rory has been talking about needing to neutralise his ball flight and in the past he tried to develop a stock fade but he abandoned that. Its no coincide that almost all of the top players hit it predominately left to right especially off the tee. When Rory is in full flow he is virtually unstoppable but when he's off its really bad when you consider his short irons/wedges. Significant distance control issues but the million dollar questions is how does Rory solve this?

>

> That is the funny thing about these threads. There is so much recency bias it makes the head hurt.

>

> Who is better and will have the better career? Let's just name them by their age....

> player 35 has 20 wins including 1 major

> player 30 has 16 wins including 4 majors

> player 29 has just 7 wins including 4 majors

> player 26 has 11 wins and 3 majors

>

> When you add the names the recency bias creates absurd conclusions. Folks think Koepka is on a roll that will never end and Spieth will never win again and Rory will never win another major and DJ is too old to matter.

Good point though I don't believe McIlroy will ever win another major. He's mentally shot.

> @MMB1500 said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > @"Oz Max" said:

> > > > Rory is just so **** frustrating to watch! he's got all the shots, when he's on... his Friday round at the Open was epic, you could feel he wanted it so bad.

> > > > BK is a machine, a well oiled golfing machine though I don't enjoy watching him that much.

> > > > At this point it's obvious he'll surpass Rory in the Majors count

> > >

> > > I tend to agree but things change, it wasn't that long ago that **Spieth looked like he was going to continue breaking records **and before that Tiger looked unstoppable but we all know what happened. Things can change.

> > >

> > > There is plenty of people enjoying the pile on with Rory but its too simple to say he's mentally weak. Rory has been talking about needing to neutralise his ball flight and in the past he tried to develop a stock fade but he abandoned that. Its no coincide that almost all of the top players hit it predominately left to right especially off the tee. When Rory is in full flow he is virtually unstoppable but when he's off its really bad when you consider his short irons/wedges. Significant distance control issues but the million dollar questions is how does Rory solve this?

> >

> > That is the funny thing about these threads. There is so much recency bias it makes the head hurt.

> >

> > Who is better and will have the better career? Let's just name them by their age....

> > player 35 has 20 wins including 1 major

> > player 30 has 16 wins including 4 majors

> > player 29 has just 7 wins including 4 majors

> > player 26 has 11 wins and 3 majors

> >

> > When you add the names the recency bias creates absurd conclusions. Folks think Koepka is on a roll that will never end and Spieth will never win again and Rory will never win another major and DJ is too old to matter.

>

> Good point though I don't believe McIlroy will ever win another major. He's mentally shot.

Genuine question, did you have a different viewpoint after his win at Sawgrass and come to this conclusion recently or did Sawgrass make no difference?

I've always enjoyed watching Rory and have followed him closely since his amateur days but even I am beginning to have serious doubts, not written him off yet. Most of the signs this year have been great but very telling is his major woes.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @MMB1500 said:

> > @RH82 said:

> > Sometimes I wish Rory would have that intensity and swagger like he does in the Ryder Cup. he seems like a different guy in that event.

>

> Is that the swagger he had when losing his last two singles matches?

It was a general comment. Whether he won or not is irrelevant. There is an obvious difference in how he appears in the Ryder Cup.

> @Pent08 said:

> Rory is having an incredible year, but his final round scoring average is 70.3, while Koepka is sitting at 68.44.

> gv0f3e4gaadc.png

>

I think the final round score is soo much more telling than just the number. If you have a final round scoring average in the 70's, that mean he is shooting even par on Sundays a lot. How many times have we seen him this year come into the final round tied for the lead, or within a couple strokes. The leader then shoots 3 under, he shoots par and loses by 3-5 stokes. His stats are amazing over all and just looking at numbers he is the best golfer out there tee to green. He just needs to get that closer attitude that Brooks has right now. That is the only difference between them in my opinion. In the raw skill department Rory has Brooks beat. Brooks is just a pitbull with a raw steak with leads on Sundays, Rory is bit more hit or miss.

The big difference is that if and when Rory gets hot, he runs away with it and is in my mind the most exciting player to watch when hot. Brooks is just steady and consistent.

I bet they love playing together though as both are very fast. Get to the ball hit the ball.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Genuine question, did you have a different viewpoint after his win at Sawgrass and come to this conclusion recently or did Sawgrass make no difference?

> I've always enjoyed watching Rory and have followed him closely since his amateur days but even I am beginning to have serious doubts, not written him off yet. Most of the signs this year have been great but very telling is his major woes.

I've believed this, and have been saying it on here for years. I'll admit I was very surprised to see him get it done at Sawgrass, but it hasn't changed my opinion. His major performances before and since have done nothing to change my mind either.

McIlroy knows his career will be judged by how many majors he wins. He hasn't won a major in 5 years ( 5 of his prime golfing years, incidentally) in large part due to his mental weakness and fragility. At one stage in his career he was odds on to be the best European of all time. Now that is extremely unlikely to happen.

I believe the issue is that that McIlroy wants to win Majors so badly, he builds them up in his mind, puts _way_ too much pressure on himself and ends up folding like a cheap suit anytime he's under even the smallest amount of pressure. The examples are too numerous to list, but the 2018 Masters and 2019 Open spring to mind.

McIlroy is at his best when he's playing relaxed, carefree golf. Think 2011 at Congressional or even the Canadian Open this year, when he was sublime. Unfortunately his confidence is now shot and he's forgotten how to play that way in the Majors. He's way too focussed on the result, and not focussed enough on process.

For example, every year McIlroy turns up at the Masters press conference and talks about a new found mental approach that's going to magically make that year different from all the others. That is him trying to talk himself into a better frame of mind, but it never works. Until he sorts his head out and starts playing with carefree abandon like he did when he was younger, nothing will change. In other words, he needs to learn to care a lot, lot less.

Rory has not been the same at majors since this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XMhDqUjLc

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Genuine question, did you have a different viewpoint after his win at Sawgrass and come to this conclusion recently or did Sawgrass make no difference?

> I've always enjoyed watching Rory and have followed him closely since his amateur days but even I am beginning to have serious doubts, not written him off yet. Most of the signs this year have been great but very telling is his major woes.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @"Oz Max" said:

> > Rory is just so **** frustrating to watch! he's got all the shots, when he's on... his Friday round at the Open was epic, you could feel he wanted it so bad.

> > BK is a machine, a well oiled golfing machine though I don't enjoy watching him that much.

> > At this point it's obvious he'll surpass Rory in the Majors count

>

> I tend to agree but things change, it wasn't that long ago that Spieth looked like he was going to continue breaking records and before that Tiger looked unstoppable but we all know what happened. Things can change.

>

> There is plenty of people enjoying the pile on with Rory but its too simple to say he's mentally weak. Rory has been talking about needing to neutralise his ball flight and in the past he tried to develop a stock fade but he abandoned that. Its no coincide that almost all of the top players hit it predominately left to right especially off the tee. When Rory is in full flow he is virtually unstoppable but when he's off its really bad when you consider his short irons/wedges. Significant distance control issues but the million dollar questions is how does Rory solve this?

You're right that there are areas of his game he needs to improve. His approach play and putting are poor for a player at his level and he's not that accurate off the tee. However, I still believe improving them won't make the difference when it comes to winning another Major, unless he also addresses his mental fragility. In other words, technical improvement on its own is not enough IMO.

> @MMB1500 said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Genuine question, did you have a different viewpoint after his win at Sawgrass and come to this conclusion recently or did Sawgrass make no difference?

> > I've always enjoyed watching Rory and have followed him closely since his amateur days but even I am beginning to have serious doubts, not written him off yet. Most of the signs this year have been great but very telling is his major woes.

>

> I've believed this, and have been saying it on here for years. I'll admit I was very surprised to see him get it done at Sawgrass, but it hasn't changed my opinion. His major performances before and since have done nothing to change my mind either.

>

> McIlroy knows his career will be judged by how many majors he wins. He hasn't won a major in 5 years ( 5 of his prime golfing years, incidentally) in large part due to his mental weakness and fragility. At one stage in his career he was odds on to be the best European of all time. Now that is extremely unlikely to happen.

>

> I believe the issue is that that McIlroy wants to win Majors so badly, he builds them up in his mind, puts _way_ too much pressure on himself and ends up folding like a cheap suit anytime he's under even the smallest amount of pressure. The examples are too numerous to list, but the 2018 Masters and 2019 Open spring to mind.

>

> McIlroy is at his best when he's playing relaxed, carefree golf. Think 2011 at Congressional or even the Canadian Open this year, when he was sublime. Unfortunately his confidence is now shot and he's forgotten how to play that way in the Majors. He's way too focussed on the result, and not focussed enough on process.

>

> For example, every year McIlroy turns up at the Masters press conference and talks about a new found mental approach that's going to magically make that year different from all the others. That is him trying to talk himself into a better frame of mind, but it never works. Until he sorts his head out and starts playing with carefree abandon like he did when he was younger, nothing will change. In other words, he needs to learn to care a lot, lot less.

We are all guessing but I think he'll win one again if he hits it like he is now for the next decade. Eventually, the cards will line up despite all of the other issues.

That being said, at one point it seemed inevitable he'd pass Phil in the all-time rankings. Now, not so sure...

> @MMB1500 said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Genuine question, did you have a different viewpoint after his win at Sawgrass and come to this conclusion recently or did Sawgrass make no difference?

> > I've always enjoyed watching Rory and have followed him closely since his amateur days but even I am beginning to have serious doubts, not written him off yet. Most of the signs this year have been great but very telling is his major woes.

>

> I've believed this, and have been saying it on here for years. I'll admit I was very surprised to see him get it done at Sawgrass, but it hasn't changed my opinion. His major performances before and since have done nothing to change my mind either.

>

> McIlroy knows his career will be judged by how many majors he wins. He hasn't won a major in 5 years ( 5 of his prime golfing years, incidentally) in large part due to his mental weakness and fragility. At one stage in his career he was odds on to be the best European of all time. Now that is extremely unlikely to happen.

>

> I believe the issue is that that McIlroy wants to win Majors so badly, he builds them up in his mind, puts _way_ too much pressure on himself and ends up folding like a cheap suit anytime he's under even the smallest amount of pressure. The examples are too numerous to list, but the 2018 Masters and 2019 Open spring to mind.

>

> McIlroy is at his best when he's playing relaxed, carefree golf. Think 2011 at Congressional or even the Canadian Open this year, when he was sublime. Unfortunately his confidence is now shot and he's forgotten how to play that way in the Majors. He's way too focussed on the result, and not focussed enough on process.

>

> For example, every year McIlroy turns up at the Masters press conference and talks about a new found mental approach that's going to magically make that year different from all the others. That is him trying to talk himself into a better frame of mind, but it never works. Until he sorts his head out and starts playing with carefree abandon like he did when he was younger, nothing will change. In other words, he needs to learn to care a lot, lot less.

Interesting,. I'm surprised that in that 5 years since his last win he hasn't really had a good opportunity to win a major. Possibly the best chance would be Reed's year at Augusta.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @imakaveli said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > Rory has not been the same at majors since this.

> >

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XMhDqUjLc

>

> imho Rory has not been the same in Majors since this:

> htq4ha98lupv.png

>

But I thought it was because he was no longer chubby?

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > Rory has not been the same at majors since this.

> > >

> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XMhDqUjLc

> >

> > imho Rory has not been the same in Majors since this:

> > htq4ha98lupv.png

> >

>

> But I thought it was because he was no longer chubby?

Nope

I am sure we can all agree that he is as fragile as a glass table..

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Pent08 said:

> > Rory is having an incredible year, but his final round scoring average is 70.3, while Koepka is sitting at 68.44.

> > gv0f3e4gaadc.png

> >

>

> I think the final round score is soo much more telling than just the number. If you have a final round scoring average in the 70's, that mean he is shooting even par on Sundays a lot. How many times have we seen him this year come into the final round tied for the lead, or within a couple strokes. The leader then shoots 3 under, he shoots par and loses by 3-5 stokes. His stats are amazing over all and just looking at numbers he is the best golfer out there tee to green. He just needs to get that closer attitude that Brooks has right now. That is the only difference between them in my opinion. In the raw skill department Rory has Brooks beat. Brooks is just a pitbull with a raw steak with leads on Sundays, Rory is bit more hit or miss.

>

> The big difference is that if and when Rory gets hot, he runs away with it and is in my mind the most exciting player to watch when hot. Brooks is just steady and consistent.

>

> I bet they love playing together though as both are very fast. Get to the ball hit the ball.

Absolutely nailed anything I could have said.

• Like 1

> @Drewmiller07 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @Pent08 said:

> > > Rory is having an incredible year, but his final round scoring average is 70.3, while Koepka is sitting at 68.44.

> > > gv0f3e4gaadc.png

> > >

> >

> > I think the final round score is soo much more telling than just the number. If you have a final round scoring average in the 70's, that mean he is shooting even par on Sundays a lot. How many times have we seen him this year come into the final round tied for the lead, or within a couple strokes. The leader then shoots 3 under, he shoots par and loses by 3-5 stokes. His stats are amazing over all and just looking at numbers he is the best golfer out there tee to green. He just needs to get that closer attitude that Brooks has right now. That is the only difference between them in my opinion. In the raw skill department Rory has Brooks beat. Brooks is just a pitbull with a raw steak with leads on Sundays, Rory is bit more hit or miss.

> >

> > The big difference is that if and when Rory gets hot, he runs away with it and is in my mind the most exciting player to watch when hot. Brooks is just steady and consistent.

> >

> > I bet they love playing together though as both are very fast. Get to the ball hit the ball.

>

> Absolutely nailed anything I could have said.

Thanks homie.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Rory is the best for sure but has been his own undoing when the heat is on, needs to think about executing shots not what the outcome or what/who he is playing for/against.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5