2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Open Championship at Royal Portrush GC/Dunluce Links - Shane Lowry is the 2019 Champion Golfer

tiderider

> @Justmuckit said:

> Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, haven't had time to roll through 34 pages...

>

> Seems like some media members are blasting Portrush for their use of OB on the 1st. Personally, I think internal OB is stupid, especially on this course.

>

> Then again, Rory knows its there and hooks one anyway, then does the same with his approach - so I can't exactly feel sorry for him.

>

> Thoughts?

The R&A, rightly, took a lot of criticism for what happened with Spieth at Birkdale. With the 18th grandstands left of the 1st fairway, I think they are protecting against players purposely aiming to miss left and take advantage of a free drop.

> @idrive said:

> **No wind, no rain**.... seems that the luck of the draw could go a long way.

Nor winters cold, whoa whoa

Can stop me baby

Sorry

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @BobMorris said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @BobMorris said:

> > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > @BobMorris said:

> > > > > > > @flushem said:

> > > > > > > anyone wanna bet on McIlroy or TW?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No...but I like Kuchar at 40/1. Good golf course for him. Low ball flight, keeps it in the ballpark, great putter. He's got to win a major eventually.

> > > > >

> > > > > BTW, your signature should read "Bethpage.... Riviera"

> > > >

> > > > It should, Flush....but the Brentwood I'm in 6 months out of the year is up North, not the Brentwood in LA. I did get to play Riviera once. Definitely one my favorites.

> > >

> > > And Deer Ridge doesn't have quite the same ring to it ;-)

> >

> > I do miss Roddy Ranch up that way!

>

> I just about cried when Roddy closed. 2 miles from my house, best track in the immediate area, and cheap to play.

Half golf course, half Bob's Country Bunker.

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > > > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > > > > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > > > > > I wonder if they ever realize they f***ed it up and put pga championship back in august.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > How is this round indicative of that?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Cause it’s a thread about the unfortunately last Major of the season.

> > > > >

> > > > > The British Open: Glory's Last Shot

> > > >

> > > > Right? 9 months of meaningless golf ahead ?

> > >

> > > You think the Players Championship is meaningless?

> >

> > Totally, it’s the biggest regular event, nothing more and nothing less.

>

> Just a shade more prestigious than that.....quite a bit more actually

Nope, sorry

> @Justmuckit said:

> Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, haven't had time to roll through 34 pages...

>

> Seems like some media members are blasting Portrush for their use of OB on the 1st. Personally, I think internal OB is stupid, especially on this course.

>

> Then again, Rory knows its there and hooks one anyway, then does the same with his approach - so I can't exactly feel sorry for him.

>

> Thoughts?

If you know the OB is there, then it your fault, not R&A's...

• Like 1

> @KennyP said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, haven't had time to roll through 34 pages...

> >

> > Seems like some media members are blasting Portrush for their use of OB on the 1st. Personally, I think internal OB is stupid, especially on this course.

> >

> > Then again, Rory knows its there and hooks one anyway, then does the same with his approach - so I can't exactly feel sorry for him.

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> The R&A, rightly, took a lot of criticism for what happened with Spieth at Birkdale. With the 18th grandstands left of the 1st fairway, I think they are protecting against players purposely aiming to miss left and take advantage of a free drop.

Also that internal OB is a historical legacy from when the club didn't own that piece of land, its always been there, and the R&A chose not to change this and stay true to the course as much as possible. Who in the media was complaining?

• Like 1
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I was hoping for a fast start from JT in relatively benign conditions this morning but +2 thru 5 is the exact opposite of what I was hoping.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @Justmuckit said:

>

>

>

> Thoughts?

Which media? I never got the issue with internal OB - it's part of the history of the course and why should it be any different to external OB. The best way to handle it is not to hit it there.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Tiger did not look like he was anywhere near being comfortable walking down the steps to the first tee and he is definitely looking tight. Sad to see.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @Bingo1976 said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, haven't had time to roll through 34 pages...

> >

> > Seems like some media members are blasting Portrush for their use of OB on the 1st. Personally, I think internal OB is stupid, especially on this course.

> >

> > Then again, Rory knows its there and hooks one anyway, then does the same with his approach - so I can't exactly feel sorry for him.

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> Which media? I never got the issue with internal OB - it's part of the history of the course and why should it be any different to external OB. The best way to handle it is not to hit it there.

well said.

> @KennyP said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> >

> >

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> The R&A, rightly, took a lot of criticism for what happened with Spieth at Birkdale. With the 18th grandstands left of the 1st fairway, I think they are protecting against players purposely aiming to miss left and take advantage of a free drop.

article in the OP explains the ob on #1 ... it's always been there as that land was part of the 2nd course there ...

> @chiva said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > spoiler alerts... lol what year is this? you come onto wrx and pretend not to know who shot what?? give me a break

>

> ^^^^^^^^^^ This x infinity

Yeah, if you don't want to know what happened I can definitely see why you'd go to a golf related website and look at something that said Open Championship.

> @imakaveli said:

> > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > > > > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > > > > > > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > > > > > > I wonder if they ever realize they f***ed it up and put pga championship back in august.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > How is this round indicative of that?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Cause it’s a thread about the unfortunately last Major of the season.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The British Open: Glory's Last Shot

> > > > >

> > > > > Right? 9 months of meaningless golf ahead ?

> > > >

> > > > You think the Players Championship is meaningless?

> > >

> > > Totally, it’s the biggest regular event, nothing more and nothing less.

> >

> > Just a shade more prestigious than that.....quite a bit more actually

>

> Nope, sorry

So to you every non-major has equal levels of meaninglessness. You know you have a crazy view there, right?

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @KennyP said:

> > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, haven't had time to roll through 34 pages...

> > >

> > > Seems like some media members are blasting Portrush for their use of OB on the 1st. Personally, I think internal OB is stupid, especially on this course.

> > >

> > > Then again, Rory knows its there and hooks one anyway, then does the same with his approach - so I can't exactly feel sorry for him.

> > >

> > > Thoughts?

> >

> > The R&A, rightly, took a lot of criticism for what happened with Spieth at Birkdale. With the 18th grandstands left of the 1st fairway, I think they are protecting against players purposely aiming to miss left and take advantage of a free drop.

>

> Also that internal OB is a historical legacy from when the club didn't own that piece of land, its always been there, and the R&A chose not to change this and stay true to the course as much as possible. Who in the media was complaining?

Alan Shipnuck:

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/18/royal-portrush-out-of-bounds-left-is-a-shame/

I do see his point- seems like an odd OB.

Shackelford whines about and claims only Hoylake on the Rota uses it - not true, used in 2017.

Shipnuck claims out of bounds is only used to protect private property - well that's categorically untrue. Internal out of bounds has its own definition, "traditional" out of bounds may or may not be used to protect public or private property (he must live on a golf course, lol), but more often simply defines the boundaries of the golf course property public or private from which you may not stray without consequence.

Rory hits a shot OB and it's the crime of the century - they've been singing the praises of Portrush for years.

Certainly, they can pile on with their click bait articles now, and they may genuinely not like internal OB, but these little hit pieces that can't get basic facts should embarrass them.

In the end, they are playing the course as the members play it, I read the nearest OB stake on the left side of 1 is 20 yards from the fairway - I play plenty of courses where "traditional" out of bounds stakes are a lot closer than that, lol.

Don't hit it there highly skilled top .00001% of all the golfers in the world.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @KennyP said:

> > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, haven't had time to roll through 34 pages...

> > > >

> > > > Seems like some media members are blasting Portrush for their use of OB on the 1st. Personally, I think internal OB is stupid, especially on this course.

> > > >

> > > > Then again, Rory knows its there and hooks one anyway, then does the same with his approach - so I can't exactly feel sorry for him.

> > > >

> > > > Thoughts?

> > >

> > > The R&A, rightly, took a lot of criticism for what happened with Spieth at Birkdale. With the 18th grandstands left of the 1st fairway, I think they are protecting against players purposely aiming to miss left and take advantage of a free drop.

> >

> > Also that internal OB is a historical legacy from when the club didn't own that piece of land, its always been there, and the R&A chose not to change this and stay true to the course as much as possible. Who in the media was complaining?

>

>

> Alan Shipnuck:

>

> https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/18/royal-portrush-out-of-bounds-left-is-a-shame/

>

> I do see his point- seems like an odd OB.

"The O.B. left is a crime against humanity." Hyperbole personified as usual from this writer. I've read very little of him over the years but any time I do I'm left wondering if he has ever played golf or has an understanding of its history or likes golf. He's like golf's version of a shock jock.

Yes its very harsh but everyone knows it there, it could have been some sort of other hazard, like water or trees so I'm not sure it necessary to go completely crazy about it.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]