Wie shoots 84 at KPMG states she might be done

new2g0lf

The Kid is injured. Apologies to anyone offended by me calling her a “Kid” but she is is young enough to be my child.

I’ve watched Michelle for a long time...and I respect her abilities, successes and even her downtime’s....mostly by the way she has handled herself.

But, seriously, the amount of vitriol and hatred on this site is mind boggling.

Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions.

Wie shot 84 with a handicapped wrist. Not a Tour score but she finished.

Give her a break..

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

> @lumberman2462 said:

>

**> Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions. **

>

And if my aunt had bollox she'd be my uncle - which has as much bearing on this thread as that comment.

Being frustrated and saying they're done is not to be unexpected, I'm not sure how long of a layoff someone can have and come back winning, but Webb was off for quite a while, but I am guessing she could still play/practice in her off-tour time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Am I the only one that feels that MW has been emotionally done for some years now? She reminds me of so many child prodigies that burn out as they get older because their talents don’t continue to grow as they do. Pretty soon the pack catches up with you, but the extreme pressure to continue excelling remains.

I thought TW was done and he surprised me, maybe MW will do the same.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I don't know who influences her decisions, but it is almost as though they decided to derail her career. Playing in the Sony was cute, as a one off, but trying to compete against men was absurd at best and damaging at worst. I would like to see her get really healthy, get some help with managing her body (per Oberholser) and be able to play at a high level. When I see her, I'm always amazed that she's only 29.

I just want to know how her back handles that putting stroke. Granted it's not as tabletop flat as it used to be but kills my back watching her putt.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Everyone else says their piece, so here's mine.

I don't think MW should worry one little bit about this 84-82 showing. In fact, if it is true that she really hasn't been able to practice, she did OK. What was apparent to me was she didn't have her radar on long shots, and almost no feel in her recoveries pitches, chips and putts...mmm, just like someone who hasn't played or practiced for months. She should talk to Tiger. If Tiger has showed us anything, it is the ability to cast aside meaningless results and move on. Just look at his recent US PGA showing. A long rest after the Masters, then a cold/flu resulting in no practice meant that he brought zippo to the PGA. Did that bother him? Not much, I think.

> @"Raving Shanker" said:

> Everyone else says their piece, so here's mine.

> I don't think MW should worry one little bit about this 84-82 showing. In fact, if it is true that she really hasn't been able to practice, she did OK. What was apparent to me was she didn't have her radar on long shots, and almost no feel in her recoveries pitches, chips and putts...mmm, just like someone who hasn't played or practiced for months. She should talk to Tiger. If Tiger has showed us anything, it is the ability to cast aside meaningless results and move on. Just look at his recent US PGA showing. A long rest after the Masters, then a cold/flu resulting in no practice meant that he brought zippo to the PGA. Did that bother him? Not much, I think.

I'd agree the bad showing itself is fine. However, I think there's a good chance that something else is going on with her wrist that is more serious (I swear there were some add'l comments in some of the article that seem to have disappeared). I don't know if that means a) just need to re-learn how to do something a bit differently (which will come with time when healthier) or b) just can't play at this level anymore (Aaron Oberhauser comments).

I hope she comes back and wish her well but I think there are a couple factors going on here. First and foremost I think she is coming to the realization that her career might be either over or on the decline/back end and that has to be VERY hard to deal with. 2nd, I think she has a ton of other things going on in her life that are starting to take priority and she is thinking about the rest of her life.

From what I know she is very well liked on your, she seems to get along or bridge the gap between almost all the groups. She gets along and is friends with some of the Koreans which seems pretty rare for the Americans, she gets along with the mean girls club, hangs out with the party girls and is friendly with the youngsters. As much as she is good for golf outside the tour (sponsors and sales) I think she is just as good for golf inside the ropes.

Her upcoming marriage and lifestyle have to be a factor. The traveling, does she want to be a mom? Maybe she just doesn’t want to grind anymore, i’m Not talking about the tour but the reps and practice to get/be there. Either way I wish her the best.

> @lumberman2462 said:

> The Kid is injured. Apologies to anyone offended by me calling her a “Kid” but she is is young enough to be my child.

>

> I’ve watched Michelle for a long time...and I respect her abilities, successes and even her downtime’s....mostly by the way she has handled herself.

>

> But, seriously, the amount of vitriol and hatred on this site is mind boggling.

>

> Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions.

>

> Wie shot 84 with a handicapped wrist. Not a Tour score but she finished.

>

> Give her a break..

"Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions. "

Being a fan can make on say some silly things.

> @farmer said:

> I don't know who influences her decisions, but it is almost as though they decided to derail her career. Playing in the Sony was cute, as a one off, but trying to compete against men was absurd at best and damaging at worst. I would like to see her get really healthy, get some help with managing her body (per Oberholser) and be able to play at a high level. When I see her, I'm always amazed that she's only 29.

The "who" is well known and yes they have made some horrible decisions.

In other new I literally just heard that Lydia Ko is switching again and I would be willing to bet that the same group is influencing her numerous decisions.

> @farmer said:

> I don't know who influences her decisions, but it is almost as though they decided to derail her career. Playing in the Sony was cute, as a one off, but trying to compete against men was absurd at best and damaging at worst. I would like to see her get really healthy, get some help with managing her body (per Oberholser) and be able to play at a high level. When I see her, I'm always amazed that she's only 29.

I agree, always seemed exploitative to me. Not sure what to chalk up this hubris to. Were they deliberately trading in Michelle's long term prospects for some immediate windfalls? Or did they suffer some sort of delusion, regarding Michelle's exceptionalism? I.e. she was too good to compete in the usual, conventional arenas. Like, did they really believe she belonged at the PGA TOUR level of competition? Who knows.

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @farmer said:

> > I don't know who influences her decisions, but it is almost as though they decided to derail her career. Playing in the Sony was cute, as a one off, but trying to compete against men was absurd at best and damaging at worst. I would like to see her get really healthy, get some help with managing her body (per Oberholser) and be able to play at a high level. When I see her, I'm always amazed that she's only 29.

>

> I agree, always seemed exploitative to me. Not sure what to chalk up this hubris to. Were they deliberately trading in Michelle's long term prospects for some immediate windfalls? Or did they suffer some sort of delusion, regarding Michelle's exceptionalism? I.e. she was too good to compete in the usual, conventional arenas. Like, did they really believe she belonged at the PGA TOUR level of competition? Who knows.

Yes

Yes

&

Yes

• Like 1

Not trying to sound flippant, but she's been "done" for quite some time. She's "hurt" all the time, which really has more to do with her not taking care of her body to play the game professionally as opposed to true debilitating injuries.

You cant play pro golf halfway. Either you're fully committed, or you're not. It's clear shes not.

I think it's pretty easy to look back on MW's career and question some of the decisions her and her parents have made over the years.

But make no mistake, at one time she looked like she might be transcendent. There's lots of revisionist history around here regarding Wie. For those who have forgotten, go read the amateur portion of her Wikipedia page. As a 14 year old girl she had insane talent. Whether it's poor decision making when it came to her development and maturity, injuries, etc, it's hard to say EXACTLY why she didn't become what it looked like she might become in the early 2000's. But for those who act like she was all hype or are dismissive of the Wie story, I often wonder if they are even aware of the story from the beginning.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @lumberman2462 said:

> >

> **> Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions. **

> >

>

> And if my aunt had bollox she'd be my uncle - which has as much bearing on this thread as that comment.

> Being frustrated and saying they're done is not to be unexpected, I'm not sure how long of a layoff someone can have and come back winning, but Webb was off for quite a while, but I am guessing she could still play/practice in her off-tour time.

You think Wie could have played/practiced during the time the medical team told her not to?

Okey dokey then.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @"Chief Illiniwek" said:

> I think it's pretty easy to look back on MW's career and question some of the decisions her and her parents have made over the years.

> But make no mistake, at one time she looked like she might be transcendent. There's lots of revisionist history around here regarding Wie. For those who have forgotten, go read the amateur portion of her Wikipedia page. As a 14 year old girl she had insane talent. Whether it's poor decision making when it came to her development and maturity, injuries, etc, it's hard to say EXACTLY why she didn't become what it looked like she might become in the early 2000's. But for those who act like she was all hype or are dismissive of the Wie story, I often wonder if they are even aware of the story from the beginning.

Well said Chief.

Here's a snippet. Made the cut at the Kraft Nabisco (now called the ANA-a ladies major) at the age of 13. That same year win the USGA Amateur Publinks-an adult, not Junior, tournament.

From her wiki page. Read it there is much more...

At the 2003 Kraft Nabisco Championship, Wie became the youngest player to make an LPGA cut. She carded a 66 in the third round, tying the amateur record for a women's major championship and qualifying her to play in the final group of the championship. In June 2003, Wie won the Women's Amateur Public Links tournament, becoming the youngest person ever, male or female, to win a USGA adult event. Later that summer, she made the cut at the US Women's Open when she was still just 13, the youngest player ever to do so.[21]

> @Shilgy said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @lumberman2462 said:

> > >

> > **> Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions. **

> > >

> >

> > And if my aunt had bollox she'd be my uncle - which has as much bearing on this thread as that comment.

> > Being frustrated and saying they're done is not to be unexpected, I'm not sure how long of a layoff someone can have and come back winning, but Webb was off for quite a while, but I am guessing she could still play/practice in her off-tour time.

>

> You think Wie could have played/practiced during the time the medical team told her not to?

> Okey dokey then.

Umm... no.

'She' and 'her' referred to Webb not Wie, who (Wie) yes definitely couldn't be hanging around the range during her (Wie) layoff.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I always felt MW tried to fix what ain't broken from the moment she started having different coaches and it's only her loads of natural talent which has given her the career she has...

she has always underperformed in my mind and I'm not too confident she can even continue to have any kind pf playing career from now on..

I would strongly suggest she take stock of her available options now and choose her best course of action but make the playing option her least priority..

she is about to get married anyway so that should be her top priority I would think and just take it from there..

PS: I really enjoyed watching her when she was young and had that powerful natural swing but started to cringe as she started to deteriorate and could not stand to watch that horrible putting stance she had..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @mukster said:

> Am I the only one that feels that MW has been emotionally done for some years now?

I don't feel that way. She had a swing change and awful season in 2016 but then rebounded noticeably in 2017, determined to make the Solheim Cup team. She played well there and by late 2017 her form and energy were very good. I followed her at Naples CME to end that season. Michelle was in contention to win deep into the back nine. I remember posting here that it was the most excited I had ever seen Michelle and her team in years. They were high fiving all over the place.

It wasn't surprising at all when that form carried over to a victory early in 2018. But as I posted in late 2017, her new swing and technique were good but hardly the equivalent of that great stinger form she showed in late 2013 that carried over into her best season of 2014. It's just a shame Michelle didn't take that stinger style and continue with it the remainder of her career. It was easily the best remedy to partially overcome her height disadvantage, and actually have a tight consistent game out there.

Maybe that stinger style put too much pressure on her body. I'll concede that possibility. There are so many injuries and rationales for them it's difficult to make full sense of it. But that idiotic Leadbetter "A Swing" that I saw in Ocala a few years ago was a moronic disaster and basically wasted a vital year or two of Michelle's late 20s. I remember posting that it looked like a giraffe attempting a contrived version of Lydia Ko's swing. Loops all over the place. Dispersion everywhere. No chance that could ever succeed.

I always think of late 20s as when these LPGA players are mostly gone. You better do it before then. Sure there are exceptions but far more examples. The exceptions are generally the later blooming players. The ones who were prominent early have already been on stage a decade or more. Nobody should be shocked that Creamer and Pressel declined in their late 20s, and now players like Inbee Park and So Yeon Ryu are not quite what they were. Michelle wasn't going to be immune to that. I always expected she would get married somewhere close to 30. You can see by all her varied interests that she wants to have a full life. I'm sure children will follow.

By far the most hilarious post in this thread was the one asserting Michelle should have bypassed college. What a brainstorm. Yeah, I don't want a Stanford education on my resume, and during a time frame when I fit in with the age of the student body and could enjoy football games, etc. No, I want to be hitting range balls every week on the LPGA. I want to be another dullard like Lexi Thompson or Lydia Ko who had the opportunity but gave it away.

I don't look at Michelle's twitter often. But when I do there is invariably a reference to Stanford and her college friends. What a shock. Greatest years of your life and she took full advantage. Those memories and experiences will mean much more to her than any 1 or 2 additional victories she might have had, which is doubtful anyway. If Michelle was going to win big it needed to happen early, in those mid teen years amidst so many chances and before the injuries.

When Michelle is still savoring her Stanford years and contacting old college buddies 3 or 5 decades from now maybe Lexi and Lydia can find some of their trophies and dust them off.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @lumberman2462 said:

> > > >

> > > **> Not one person negatively commenting in this thread could have broken 90 on this particular track in today’s conditions. **

> > > >

> > >

> > > And if my aunt had bollox she'd be my uncle - which has as much bearing on this thread as that comment.

> > > Being frustrated and saying they're done is not to be unexpected, I'm not sure how long of a layoff someone can have and come back winning, but Webb was off for quite a while, but I am guessing she could still play/practice in her off-tour time.

> >

> > You think Wie could have played/practiced during the time the medical team told her not to?

> > Okey dokey then.

>

> Umm... no.

> 'She' and 'her' referred to Webb not Wie, who (Wie) yes definitely couldn't be hanging around the range during her (Wie) layoff.

Ah-gotcha. Based on the conversation I thought your "Webb" was a spell check correction for "Wie". Sure would be easier if we could all sit around a table and chat!

I won't opine on the shoulda woulda coulda, who messed her up, why, etc. I genuinely hope she finds something that works for her in the long run health-wise, and I, like some others who posted here, am always impressed with her attitude. Sure, there were tears, who wouldn't be emotional at a young age when facing a possibly forced retirement? But her response and gratitude to all those wishing her well meant a lot. When Tiger broke, he ate some humble pie and it seemed to help. Michelle never seemed to need a helping herself. Others around her? Well, that's not for me to say because I don't know. But she has so far, faced this issue with grace.

But again, an 84 and 82. I would kill for that average, lol. I know, I know, pro and what-not..

Michelle had great showings in pro tournaments as a youth, but she was never a big winner. The 2003 Publinks win was her only sniff at a national championship. The high finishes were impressive, but winning is a whole different deal. To me it is obvious now that Michelle never really had the winning potential. She never dominated any level of competition, outside of Hawaii at least. IMO she got famous because her adolescent swing was beautiful and she cut a distinctive figure on the course, and because she got the full backing of Nike and other big monies. They spent a lot to convince people that she was great. And you know what, judging by this thread, it really, really worked. In 50 years people will still be like, "That Michelle Wie, could've been the next Tiger, if not for XYZ..."