Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

13 hours ago, chisag said:

... If any of you were jealous about Phoenix golf in the winter, payback is a bich. 115* yesterday and 116* today with close to 20% humidity. Just going into a Whole Foods and coming back to the car I almost burnt my fingers touching the door handle.  I am amazed at the difference between 8% and 18% humidity. Couple more days of this and then back to a "cool" 106*. 

I'm guessing there is a whole protocol to dealing with that kind of extreme heat.

I almost got sent to Qatar for a field job (petroleum refining insdustry) in July of 2001, at the last minute my assignment changed to Turkmenistan which was at the most 40C (104F), instead of 50C (122 F).

The sensitivity to humidity makes sense in the water on hot rocks in a sauna kind of way.

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Looking pretty bleak this week. I thought I might head out of town to avoid the rain, but there's rain in the forecast in an area bordered by Des Moines, St Louis, Nashville, Cleveland, and Minneapolis. Grrr. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

24 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Looking pretty bleak this week. I thought I might head out of town to avoid the rain, but there's rain in the forecast in an area bordered by Des Moines, St Louis, Nashville, Cleveland, and Minneapolis. Grrr. 

... PLEASE send it this way!!!! 😜

• Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Miserable day at Lost Marbles.   Got lucky and it stopped raining for a stretch of 3-4 holes on the back.  Of course I never invested in rain gloves, so i was more worried about hanging onto the club than hitting the ball.  One of the guys in our group wasn’t so lucky - there’s a 2i laying in the junk somewhere behind a tee box on front 9.     My bag transformation is almost complete, and the lone holdout is a 3H Adam’s hybrid.  The latest addition - the Pure-Track putter is a beaut….  
45BF9ABE-33F3-4B07-BB12-64B9CCD7DB51.jpeg.07e56b215bf0ce296674ad1c8a9c2197.jpeg

• Like 4

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Got to play Stonehenge up in Barrington yesterday.  I guess it's the "sister" course to Old Wayne in West Chicago, designed by the same guy, I believe run by the designers family and has the same membership model as Old Wayne.  If you're a member of one you get to play both.  While Old Wayne has never really done much for me as far as the course, Stonehenge was pretty cool with a lot of fun holes.  Some of the bunkering and green complexes kind of had a dubsdread look/feel, so maybe a 90 calorie version of dubs.   Course was in really good shape, fairways were nice, tee boxes had grass and the greens were smooth and rolled true and the bunkers had sand.  Not typical pristine private conditions, but certainly better than any public track I've been on this year.   While it's a very low end club, the club is all about golf so you got guys out there repairing their ball marks and taking care of the place which helps.  Best part, like Old Wayne, we got through there in 3hours, teed off at 11am and walked off at 2pm. I was able to drive 45 minutes, play, drive back 45 minutes in less time than my round at Big Run took.  I went and threw myself on the waiting list, it's not close to the house but I've always had a good golf experience at both courses and even if I only get on either 10 times in a season it would be a good value.  Knowing I can get out anytime for a fast round is worth it.  

My game really struggled yesterday.  Still battling snap hooks, but didn't get killed by it to much with a few exceptions.  Had some struggles hitting iron shots as well, I think I'm dropping the right shoulder leading to a lot of fat and almost missed shots.  Need a range session.  My short game was the savior, I was able to salvage a 37 on the front thanks to it, the back I ended up with a 42 thanks to a nice triple bogey and not being able to capitalize on the few looks I did have for birdie. Highlight was on the 9th hole, hit a great shot that landed just over the bunker and bounced off the flag stick, unfortunately I missed the 3 foot putt for eagle. Fun day out, and the rain stayed away up north.  

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

As mentioned in an earlier post, our group played at Redtail on Saturday.  Overall the course conditions were probably the best I've experienced there.  The best word to describe the course is plush. The fairways were a bit long so you didn't see the normal amount of roll as you might have seen other years. The greens were in great shape but of course, there were ball marks galore. Wouldn't say there were overly fast but guessing 10ish. 

Shared the challenges with pace.  Although there's a bit of a walk between some holes, that's a course to walk in 4 hours easily without naive people in front of you.  

Have to say a big thank you to the member who found my Garmin GPS and was kind enough to turn it in saving me some $$$.  Didn't want any money or even a beverage for his kindness so a thank you kind Sir.

Our comp goes into the eastern time zone to play Whittaker Woods on Saturday.  Been a long time since playing there but looking forward to it.

• Like 1

@DavePelz4 I feel less crazy about the yahoos I get paired up with or end up behind when you tell us your stories.  Makes it seem this stuff is becoming the norm...sadly.  I hear so many stories about all the good guys who play golf and people getting paired up with awesome folks, yet I seem to never find it. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

As mentioned in an earlier post, our group played at Redtail on Saturday.  Overall the course conditions were probably the best I've experienced there.  The best word to describe the course is plush. The fairways were a bit long so you didn't see the normal amount of roll as you might have seen other years. The greens were in great shape but of course, there were ball marks galore. Wouldn't say there were overly fast but guessing 10ish. 

Shared the challenges with pace.  Although there's a bit of a walk between some holes, that's a course to walk in 4 hours easily without naive people in front of you.  

Have to say a big thank you to the member who found my Garmin GPS and was kind enough to turn it in saving me some $$$.  Didn't want any money or even a beverage for his kindness so a thank you kind Sir.

Our comp goes into the eastern time zone to play Whittaker Woods on Saturday.  Been a long time since playing there but looking forward to it.

Excellent, I am playing Whittaker later this month.  The course has become brutally difficult with trees growing in.  Holes 3, 6 and 7 are HARD tee shots.  Be careful out there, we have encountered swarms of bees on holes 5 and 6 in the last few years.  It is such a beautiful property with gorgeous scenery and a real challenge to score well.  Love the course, compares really well to Oak Grove.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

First quick glance at that bag I thought I saw IKEA woods!

Some assembly required.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Enjoyable morning. With the threat of t-storms I took a conservative route and simply hopped over to Sydney Marovitz for 18 holes. Didn't want to drive far to get soaked. Of course the rain never came. The course is in nice shape. A few poor lies in the fairway, but generally playable. The rough was patchy. Bunkers were surprisingly decent. Greens looked good, and were rolling 9 at best. I joined another single for the first trip around in the early morning, and we didn't have to wait at all. The second go around was much slower with a number of foursomes ahead, so no surprise at the 2:15 pace. I've had much worse there, though.

Solid round. One birdie and four bogies. The par 4 4th is no easy par. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Enjoyable morning. With the threat of t-storms I took a conservative route and simply hopped over to Sydney Marovitz for 18 holes. Didn't want to drive far to get soaked. Of course the rain never came. The course is in nice shape. A few poor lies in the fairway, but generally playable. The rough was patchy. Bunkers were surprisingly decent. Greens looked good, and were rolling 9 at best. I joined another single for the first trip around in the early morning, and we didn't have to wait at all. The second go around was much slower with a number of foursomes ahead, so no surprise at the 2:15 pace. I've had much worse there, though.

Solid round. One birdie and four bogies. The par 4 4th is no easy par. 

If you stop by the Clock Tower Cafe before/after a round there, they have some great b&w pictures of the course before they planted the trees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Got to play Stonehenge up in Barrington yesterday.  I guess it's the "sister" course to Old Wayne in West Chicago, designed by the same guy, I believe run by the designers family and has the same membership model as Old Wayne.  If you're a member of one you get to play both.  While Old Wayne has never really done much for me as far as the course, Stonehenge was pretty cool with a lot of fun holes.  Some of the bunkering and green complexes kind of had a dubsdread look/feel, so maybe a 90 calorie version of dubs.   Course was in really good shape, fairways were nice, tee boxes had grass and the greens were smooth and rolled true and the bunkers had sand.  Not typical pristine private conditions, but certainly better than any public track I've been on this year.   While it's a very low end club, the club is all about golf so you got guys out there repairing their ball marks and taking care of the place which helps.  Best part, like Old Wayne, we got through there in 3hours, teed off at 11am and walked off at 2pm. I was able to drive 45 minutes, play, drive back 45 minutes in less time than my round at Big Run took.  I went and threw myself on the waiting list, it's not close to the house but I've always had a good golf experience at both courses and even if I only get on either 10 times in a season it would be a good value.  Knowing I can get out anytime for a fast round is worth it.  

My game really struggled yesterday.  Still battling snap hooks, but didn't get killed by it to much with a few exceptions.  Had some struggles hitting iron shots as well, I think I'm dropping the right shoulder leading to a lot of fat and almost missed shots.  Need a range session.  My short game was the savior, I was able to salvage a 37 on the front thanks to it, the back I ended up with a 42 thanks to a nice triple bogey and not being able to capitalize on the few looks I did have for birdie. Highlight was on the 9th hole, hit a great shot that landed just over the bunker and bounced off the flag stick, unfortunately I missed the 3 foot putt for eagle. Fun day out, and the rain stayed away up north.  

Any idea on the membership cost for Stonehenge and how long the wait list is?

Ive been trying to find out the cost for Old Wayne. Waiting list is 3+ years ive heard and need to know somebody. 

58 minutes ago, BTee17 said:

Any idea on the membership cost for Stonehenge and how long the wait list is?

Ive been trying to find out the cost for Old Wayne. Waiting list is 3+ years ive heard and need to know somebody. 

It's $350 a year, you pay for each round.  I think the member I played with said it's $50 riding on the weekend and $40 on a weekday. Less if you walk.  If you replay they generally only charge for the cart.

He did say it's probably 2 to 3 years. Get on the list,  it costs nothing and there's no obligation when your time is up.   Neither course is winning awards,  but damn is it nice being somewhere with like minded golfers and not the amateur hour public golf has become.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

12 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

It's $350 a year, you pay for each round.  I think the member I played with said it's $50 riding on the weekend and $40 on a weekday. Less if you walk.  If you replay they generally only charge for the cart.

He did say it's probably 2 to 3 years. Get on the list,  it costs nothing and there's no obligation when your time is up.   Neither course is winning awards,  but damn is it nice being somewhere with like minded golfers and not the amateur hour public golf has become.  

I’m much closer to Old Wayne but the 40 minute drive to Stonehenge a few times a month to not deal with the BS you mentioned would be worth it. 

can you hop on the list at Old Wayne too or is that a different process?

thanks for the info!

26 minutes ago, BTee17 said:

I’m much closer to Old Wayne but the 40 minute drive to Stonehenge a few times a month to not deal with the BS you mentioned would be worth it. 

can you hop on the list at Old Wayne too or is that a different process?

thanks for the info!

You can play both courses if your a member at either.   I guess it doesn't matter what list you get on, the guy I played with was technically an Old Wayne member. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I dropped my daughter off with my parents today but since Grandma insisted on her 6:45-7:45 workout we had to get a 9:00 time off I-55. That was a bit of a challenge since courses were jammed but Cinder Ridge was wide open. Okay, it's not Cinder Ridge when the dew point is hovering around 70. Then it's Cinder Pit. The mosquitoes followed us on every hole and Bear and I both had to reapply Deep Woods Off at the turn. The greens were really, really bad. They're never great at Cinder but my God, they were bumpy, really wet and covered in marks. They've had a TON of rain down there so props to the owner of Beef and Brandy for a design that drained well. I hit the ball really well off the tee and my irons were launching nice and high, which made the course very scoreable. Alas, I couldn't buy a birdie putt but made par putts from plenty of different distances. A buck we came across was just starting to get some antlers. He was definitely not shy and got about 10 feet from us on 8. Anyway, after bogies on 4, 5, and 8, I made 10 straight pars for a 75. 

For round two, we decided on Bolingbrook. There were two reasons for this: 1) We've both played every other Arthur Hills course in the area numerous times (Stonewall, Chicago Highlands, Washington County, and Hawkshead) and figured we might as well scratch the one that, among public Artie courses, is the most up it's own rectum off the list. (Seriously, what other course asks what players generally shoot when reserving a tee time? Did the guys in front of us who played from the tips answer truthfully? Survey says: no.) 2) Brad Wesley is the best movie villain ever and the fact that Bolingbrook is run by a real-life Brad Wesley ("AN ARTHUR HILLS COURSE IS COMING HERE BECAUSE OF ME. ASK ANYBODY.") meant this was a course we had to play. Gotta say. Not overly impressed. It has good variety in the 3's and 5's, there are tees for every level of player (I played off the blues and that was the right call for my game), the greens were smooth, and it was well maintained. Of course, with a zillion employees zooming around it better not go cheap on the maintenance. However, it's not walker friendly at all, the greens were only stimping at about a 9, and it was kind of blah. Like a nicer Prairie Bluff but without the gun range and prison. Yeah, it has a nice practice facility but that doesn't apply to us since we had 18 holes at Cinder Pit to warm up. Anyway, I played very well. Again, I couldn't buy a birdie but again I made par putts whenever I needed to. Eight pars and one bogey on the front (an "I just had a beef sandwich then teed off" bogey) and eight pars and one bogey on the back. 74. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

21 hours ago, MountainKing said:

@DavePelz4 I feel less crazy about the yahoos I get paired up with or end up behind when you tell us your stories.  Makes it seem this stuff is becoming the norm...sadly.  I hear so many stories about all the good guys who play golf and people getting paired up with awesome folks, yet I seem to never find it. 

Hey MK...I try to post the good as well but some of the yahoos (throwback to a term my grandfather used) are just clueless or they don't care.  In the past 16 months since COVID, we've seen more people who just don't give a rat's arse about anyone other than themselves and feel they can do whatever they want.  What still shocks me about the group that cut in between was the ranger who entitled them to do it.  WTH is he thinking?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shriner said:

Excellent, I am playing Whittaker later this month.  The course has become brutally difficult with trees growing in.  Holes 3, 6 and 7 are HARD tee shots.  Be careful out there, we have encountered swarms of bees on holes 5 and 6 in the last few years.  It is such a beautiful property with gorgeous scenery and a real challenge to score well.  Love the course, compares really well to Oak Grove.

If I'm remembering the holes properly, the second shot on 7 was really difficult, something like 200 plus isn't the green protected by junk short and right?

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

If I'm remembering the holes properly, the second shot on 7 was really difficult, something like 200 plus isn't the green protected by junk short and right?

Yep.  The hole is roughly 450 yards off the top of my head.  Your drive must go straight or you are taking a penalty.  Then you have a decent length 2nd shot with the entire right side being vegetation that is unplayable.  At least they give you an easy par 3 for the next hole...

Well, I almost stayed dry this morning. With the threat of rain again, I decided to go cheap and close for the second day in a row. The Meadows of Blue Island is a good course when conditions are poor, because the conditions are generally poor anyway at the course. $25 to walk. I was on the 15th green when the skies opened. By the time I got under the large tree by the 16th tee I was soaked to the bone. I looked at the radar on my phone, and there was a small cell right over the course. Grrr. Otherwise it was a decent morning. I went out as a single, and the only group ahead of me that I could see was a twosome three holes ahead. I never caught them, as they were moving at a good pace. Conditions were playable for the most part. The fairways and rough had been cut, which was good and bad. It was bad in that there were large clumps of grass clippings that could swallow golf balls. The fairways had numerous thin/bare patches, which isn't uncommon there. Some of the teeboxes were in rough shape. Rough was thick, even though it had been cut. It obviously benefited from all the recent rain. Bunkers were wet, but they did have a good amount of sand in them. The greens looked very good, with only a handful of poorly repaired ballmarks. Speed was around 9. Sadly some total a-hole had taken a lob wedge to the 2nd green in the past day or two, and left four sizeable divot holes in the turf. There was another one in the middle of the 9th green. The divot holes had perfectly clean edges, so it looks like it was done on purpose, and not in a sudden fit of rage. What are people thinking?

Another solid round today with two birdies, two bogies, and a double. The double came on the par 4 4th when my teeshot somehow managed to get stuck in one of the trees on the right. Lol. There are probably ten or fewer trees on the course that come into play, and I managed to land, and stay, in one. Pffftttt. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The double came on the par 4 4th when my teeshot somehow managed to get stuck in one of the trees on the right. Lol. There are probably ten or fewer trees on the course that come into play, and I managed to land, and stay, in one. Pffftttt. 

“It’s good luck.”

”In Haiti.”  

• Haha 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, I almost stayed dry this morning. With the threat of rain again, I decided to go cheap and close for the second day in a row. The Meadows of Blue Island is a good course when conditions are poor, because the conditions are generally poor anyway at the course. $25 to walk. I was on the 15th green when the skies opened. By the time I got under the large tree by the 16th tee I was soaked to the bone. I looked at the radar on my phone, and there was a small cell right over the course. Grrr. Otherwise it was a decent morning. I went out as a single, and the only group ahead of me that I could see was a twosome three holes ahead. I never caught them, as they were moving at a good pace. Conditions were playable for the most part. The fairways and rough had been cut, which was good and bad. It was bad in that there were large clumps of grass clippings that could swallow golf balls. The fairways had numerous thin/bare patches, which isn't uncommon there. Some of the teeboxes were in rough shape. Rough was thick, even though it had been cut. It obviously benefited from all the recent rain. Bunkers were wet, but they did have a good amount of sand in them. The greens looked very good, with only a handful of poorly repaired ballmarks. Speed was around 9. Sadly some total a-hole had taken a lob wedge to the 2nd green in the past day or two, and left four sizeable divot holes in the turf. There was another one in the middle of the 9th green. The divot holes had perfectly clean edges, so it looks like it was done on purpose, and not in a sudden fit of rage. What are people thinking?

Another solid round today with two birdies, two bogies, and a double. The double came on the par 4 4th when my teeshot somehow managed to get stuck in one of the trees on the right. Lol. There are probably ten or fewer trees on the course that come into play, and I managed to land, and stay, in one. Pffftttt. 

Yea its almost impossible to lose a ball there but that is one way ive never heard of losing one there lol. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, ldchristopher said:

I dropped my daughter off with my parents today but since Grandma insisted on her 6:45-7:45 workout we had to get a 9:00 time off I-55. That was a bit of a challenge since courses were jammed but Cinder Ridge was wide open. Okay, it's not Cinder Ridge when the dew point is hovering around 70. Then it's Cinder Pit. The mosquitoes followed us on every hole and Bear and I both had to reapply Deep Woods Off at the turn. The greens were really, really bad. They're never great at Cinder but my God, they were bumpy, really wet and covered in marks. They've had a TON of rain down there so props to the owner of Beef and Brandy for a design that drained well. I hit the ball really well off the tee and my irons were launching nice and high, which made the course very scoreable. Alas, I couldn't buy a birdie putt but made par putts from plenty of different distances. A buck we came across was just starting to get some antlers. He was definitely not shy and got about 10 feet from us on 8. Anyway, after bogies on 4, 5, and 8, I made 10 straight pars for a 75. 

For round two, we decided on Bolingbrook. There were two reasons for this: 1) We've both played every other Arthur Hills course in the area numerous times (Stonewall, Chicago Highlands, Washington County, and Hawkshead) and figured we might as well scratch the one that, among public Artie courses, is the most up it's own rectum off the list. (Seriously, what other course asks what players generally shoot when reserving a tee time? Did the guys in front of us who played from the tips answer truthfully? Survey says: no.) 2) Brad Wesley is the best movie villain ever and the fact that Bolingbrook is run by a real-life Brad Wesley ("AN ARTHUR HILLS COURSE IS COMING HERE BECAUSE OF ME. ASK ANYBODY.") meant this was a course we had to play. Gotta say. Not overly impressed. It has good variety in the 3's and 5's, there are tees for every level of player (I played off the blues and that was the right call for my game), the greens were smooth, and it was well maintained. Of course, with a zillion employees zooming around it better not go cheap on the maintenance. However, it's not walker friendly at all, the greens were only stimping at about a 9, and it was kind of blah. Like a nicer Prairie Bluff but without the gun range and prison. Yeah, it has a nice practice facility but that doesn't apply to us since we had 18 holes at Cinder Pit to warm up. Anyway, I played very well. Again, I couldn't buy a birdie but again I made par putts whenever I needed to. Eight pars and one bogey on the front (an "I just had a beef sandwich then teed off" bogey) and eight pars and one bogey on the back. 74. 

LD...why didn't you think it was walker friendly?  Are you talking the course or grief from the clubhouse?

And technically, it's not Bolingbrook, it's the Roger Claar Memorial Course.  Just ask Rog...

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

LD...why didn't you think it was walker friendly?  Are you talking the course or grief from the clubhouse?

And technically, it's not Bolingbrook, it's the Roger Claar Memorial Course.  Just ask Rog...

It was pancake flat. That definitely wasn’t the issue. But there were a lot of long, roundabout walks around with no walking path. At other places with big footprints they create walking paths for the few people who don’t play in lazy machines, I mean carts. Not at the Roger Claar Memorial Course. Just all cart path. The walk ended up being 7.5 miles and it could have been under 7 with some walking paths. Of course, everyone else was in a cart. They know their clientele. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

41 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

It was pancake flat. That definitely wasn’t the issue. But there were a lot of long, roundabout walks around with no walking path. At other places with big footprints they create walking paths for the few people who don’t play in lazy machines, I mean carts. Not at the Roger Claar Memorial Course. Just all cart path. The walk ended up being 7.5 miles and it could have been under 7 with some walking paths. Of course, everyone else was in a cart. They know their clientele. 

Bolingbrook is one of the most over priced, overrated course in the area.  Par 3's are great, the rest is pretty forgettable.  Probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Prairie Bluff has a very similar feel/land and I think it's a better course overall, especially considering the price difference.  

The practice area is where it does shine, when I lived out there I would hit it up constantly, that's where the course shines IMO. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Bolingbrook is one of the most over priced, overrated course in the area.  Par 3's are great, the rest is pretty forgettable.  Probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Prairie Bluff has a very similar feel/land and I think it's a better course overall, especially considering the price difference.  

The practice area is where it does shine, when I lived out there I would hit it up constantly, that's where the course shines IMO. 

Funny you mention this. It was my first time at Bolingbrook as well. I'm telling LD during our round that I think Prairie Bluff is better. And, I'm not a guy that really loves PB either. By the time we finished on #18, I was convinced. And, I was not even factoring in the price difference, which is significant.

What a blah course. I liked #7, the par 4 with the creek in front. For the par 3s, only #8 and #15 stood out. The par 5s were as forgettable as any course I've played. We paid $63 to walk, which wasn't terrible, but not a deal either. It was a Monday afternoon, with somewhat poor weather. I saw their weekend rates, good lord, lol. I will say, if you love fake fairway mounding, this is your course. The only feature that really stood out. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

31 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Funny you mention this. It was my first time at Bolingbrook as well. I'm telling LD during our round that I think Prairie Bluff is better. And, I'm not a guy that really loves PB either. By the time we finished on #18, I was convinced. And, I was not even factoring in the price difference, which is significant.

What a blah course. I liked #7, the par 4 with the creek in front. For the par 3s, only #8 and #15 stood out. The par 5s were as forgettable as any course I've played. We paid $63 to walk, which wasn't terrible, but not a deal either. It was a Monday afternoon, with somewhat poor weather. I saw their weekend rates, good lord, lol. I will say, if you love fake fairway mounding, this is your course. The only feature that really stood out. 

... Living in Bolingbrook that crook of a mayor declared we would get resident rates. We did for about 1 year. When it first opened I was impressed because it was in immaculate condition, they had fresh fruit with lemonade or tea with cups and a big tub of ice on the first tee. Within 2 years the greens started looking worse than a muni with ball marks galore and way worse than Naperbrook, which is saying something. With so may straight par 4's it doesn't have much character but enough good holes and again maintained like a CC so I played it several times a year. 

... First they got rid of the fruit/drinks on the first tee. Then the greens started to deteriorate. They over water the greens and the ball marks are deep. Always hated #3 with an elevated green that slopes away and any shots middle to left will not hold the green even with a SW, so the bottom of that green gathered all balls and it was just trashed. Always loved #6 a great risk reward hole. But I think #10 certainly sums up much of the course, dead straight and easily forgettable. 

... About 5 miles from home and PB was about 15 miles and I only played Bolingbrook 2 times in quite a few years always with someone that really wanted to try it. I was happy to drive the additional 10 miles to PB.  

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x