Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

this morning I stayed conscious of keeping my upper sleeves tucked as to keep my arms attached to my chest during the backswing.

this well known tip helped me duckhook a few drives, chunk some recovery shots from the rough, and short so many chips I think the guys had the impression a demon had overtaken me.

so much for the instruction tips on Golf Digest.

• Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Afternoon round at Crystal Woods. First time out there. Always nice to enjoy the change of scenery. Some fun elevation changes. 

98 today. Was really feeling the new driver on the range, even had a fairway with it on 1. But it went downhill with it after. Really all my clubs, I kept pulling left. Irons, hybrid, and driver. Not sure what was going on. Good think my chipping was able to keep me alive. 

• Like 4

Played all 27 at Black Sheep today. Surprised but all 3 nines look a little different with layout and bunkering. Green are huge and you would have to play there a lot to figure them out. If you get an invite to play go check it out. 

• Like 4
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Our comp ventured to Whittaker Woods yesterday.  Interesting day weather wise.  Had intermittent cells of rain and didn't see the sun til the drive home.  Hadn't played there in years and didn't remember much of the course.  In general, the conditions were as good as possible with the rain. With 1 exception, the bunkers were in surprisingly good condition. Greens were in great shape and only saw a few extra ball marks to repair. Fairways were good but minimal roll out. Pace was good, right around 4 hours although we had to wait a few times for the group in front of us.

Not remembering the layout, I made several mistakes off the tee which cost me.  Also not a fan of a hole where you split the fairway and they end the fairway and you're in a unkept area. For the most part, the green complexes were fair and you could play a variety of shots.

Will challenge them on a couple of things.  First, it's clearly a money grab.  The same food at the little spot in between 9s charged more for the same hot dog and beer than they did in the clubhouse. Maybe it's just "situational pricing." I had called on Wednesday and decrease our group size from 7 to 6.  Just to cover my bases, I asked for an email confirmation of the change which they did. When I checked in, the gentleman in the pro shop debated that with me. He wanted to charge for 7 but when I showed him the email confirming the 6 he got a little snotty with me and said that email should never had been sent.  Hmmm...OK. When we got to the first tee  around 9:25 for our 9:30 tee time, there were 2 other groups waiting to go.  Per the starter, who was really funny BTW, people just showed up to play so they put them out right away. 

Not sure if it's a $110 course, with balls, but I'd play it again as for the most part, the layout was very good.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Our comp ventured to Whittaker Woods yesterday.  Interesting day weather wise.  Had intermittent cells of rain and didn't see the sun til the drive home.  Hadn't played there in years and didn't remember much of the course.  In general, the conditions were as good as possible with the rain. With 1 exception, the bunkers were in surprisingly good condition. Greens were in great shape and only saw a few extra ball marks to repair. Fairways were good but minimal roll out. Pace was good, right around 4 hours although we had to wait a few times for the group in front of us.

Not remembering the layout, I made several mistakes off the tee which cost me.  Also not a fan of a hole where you split the fairway and they end the fairway and you're in a unkept area. For the most part, the green complexes were fair and you could play a variety of shots.

Will challenge them on a couple of things.  First, it's clearly a money grab.  The same food at the little spot in between 9s charged more for the same hot dog and beer than they did in the clubhouse. Maybe it's just "situational pricing." I had called on Wednesday and decrease our group size from 7 to 6.  Just to cover my bases, I asked for an email confirmation of the change which they did. When I checked in, the gentleman in the pro shop debated that with me. He wanted to charge for 7 but when I showed him the email confirming the 6 he got a little snotty with me and said that email should never had been sent.  Hmmm...OK. When we got to the first tee  around 9:25 for our 9:30 tee time, there were 2 other groups waiting to go.  Per the starter, who was really funny BTW, people just showed up to play so they put them out right away. 

Not sure if it's a $110 course, with balls, but I'd play it again as for the most part, the layout was very good.

I hate the idea that I'm being taken advantage of, so the 'halfway house' price gouge would rub me the wrong way as well. It's also amazing to me how many of these golf course employees feel like they are doing you a favor by taking your money. It seems like you guys almost run into more rude course employees than nice ones.

Your comment on price had me thinking of a couple questions....

1. Which public IL courses over $100 leave you feeling like you got your money's worth? It might be too long of a list, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

2. What's the high water mark for an IL 18 hole public golf round? I can't imagine that it would be as much as $200, but it's possible I guess.

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

10 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

I hate the idea that I'm being taken advantage of, so the 'halfway house' price gouge would rub me the wrong way as well. It's also amazing to me how many of these golf course employees feel like they are doing you a favor by taking your money. It seems like you guys almost run into more rude course employees than nice ones.

Your comment on price had me thinking of a couple questions....

1. Which public IL courses over $100 leave you feeling like you got your money's worth? It might be too long of a list, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

2. What's the high water mark for an IL 18 hole public golf round? I can't imagine that it would be as much as $200, but it's possible I guess.

The guy in the pro shop was the only one that was anything less than nice.  As shared, the starter was awesome, the cart girls were sweet and  cute, the young ladies in the clubhouse post round did a great job taking care of us. 

Great question on the $100 courses and have had the same thought. Here's a few that cross my mind:

Cantigny

Dubs

The General although BMan said the conditions sucked recently

Mistwood - $99.99

Stonewall

VNutz and I have talked about this several times and since COVID, it seems like there has been a general 25% increase in the rate to play.  Econ 101, supply and demand is basically where it's gone to. When you see courses like Whitetail Ridge, which we used to play on weekends for $35 now charging $98 to $103 and requiring carts, it's clearly a great time to own a golf course. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the great reply and it's good to hear that the rude people are not the majority.

I played Bolingbrook once years ago with a former boss and it was over $100 with cart. I didn't enjoy the course. It could have been $40 and it wouldn't have matter. But, it didn't seem worth the $100+.

I paid almost $100 for Seven Bridges and felt that it was worth it. 

My wife and I spent last Thanksgiving in Galena at Eagle Ridge resort where the General is located. Looked like a great layout, but it was too cold to play and only one golf course was open that time of the year and it wasn't The General.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Our comp ventured to Whittaker Woods yesterday. 

Wait, wait Whittaker Woods is $110?!  Wow.  Guess I can scratch that one off our group's prospective course list.

Afternoon round at Highlands of Elgin.  A steal at $60 imo.  Course was overall in good shape.  Not wet at all like it normally is.  Greens were fast and a bit bumpy given we were playing at the end of the day.   There was no shortage of ballmarks for those who really enjoy fixing them or playing around them.  Pace was okay at 4:20.  I really love the course,  it just looks amazing. 

My game bounced back,  has a weird start going birdie, bogey,  birdie, birdie,  bogey.  Ended up with 4 birdies on the front but couldn't do better than a 35 thanks to the bogies.   The back was a different story,  couldn't take advantage of either par 5, both playing down wind.   Drove it up by 13 and only ended up with a par.  A few three putts, a penalty stroke and a 40 coming in. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

11 minutes ago, chrisf60526 said:

Bolingbrook and Oakbrook are way overpriced IMO.  That being said, I live near Oakbrook and its packed....alot.  You also get a 5 1/2 round there as well.

They sell a lot of memberships to the retired crew.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, ldchristopher said:

I have to come clean. Earlier this year I said Bear and I walked 54 (Bonnie Brook, Oak Grove and Brae Loch). However, I actually only played 52 that day since I was late for my tee time at BBrook. With the weight of that misinformation hanging around my neck, I was again told by wife to have a golf day. That meant walking 54. It’s a silly self-challenge, made even less impressive since some guy in Switzerland just walked 252 holes in one day. But, onto yesterday’s rounds. 

Pine Meadows for round one. There’s so much to like about that course. Great layout, only one ho hum hole (10 goes along the range and even that isn’t awful), lots of tees and a combos well as large greens that in theory should allow the course to play differently depending on the setup, and an affordable weekday walking rate. However, their insistence on keeping the the blue/green dye industry afloat by drenching the course in dye is so, so aggravating. With the dye, Ghettos always just plays slow regardless of the setup. It gets on my fingers, under my nails, and all over my clubs. And for what? So the course will look bright green from April to November? So what? If I rolled around on those fairways I’d get up looking like the Incredible Hulk. Anyway, my game was very sharp. 11 fairways and 12 greens, with birdies on 4 and 13 and bogies on 3, 7 and 12 for a 73 from the Blue/Gold combo. 

Round two was at Chalet Hills. That’s a scary course for a 10:40 tee time but the people playing were very cool. I played through 5 groups (4 on the front and 1 on the back) and was careful not to disrupt anyone else’s pace of play. Once I got past group 5 on 12, I was home free and ended up playing in a shade over 3 hours. That’s probably not, in theory, the best place for a 54 hole day but I know exactly how to play every hole there and it’s a very draw-friendly layout. It helped that I had probably the best ball striking round of my life. 11 fairways and 16 greens. One birdie on 7 and two bogies on 5 and 16 for a 74.  

Bear joined me for round three at Countryside Prairie. We teed off at 3:20 and barely had to wait at all. I only hit 6 fairways but that’s not a place where one needs to be in the fairway to make par and I managed 12 greens, which is the stat that matters most anyway. There’s not much teeth from the blue tees but that was fine by me all things considered. One birdie on 14 and one bogey on 11 for an even par 72. 

Now, given the fact that I hit 40/54 greens, one would think I’d make more birdies. But here’s the problem: the putter sucks. It’s definitely NOT me. Quick aside: Am I the only person who now is more intrigued by a Cobra RadSpeed since Bryson’s comments? 

The blue “dye” is most likely part of a fungicide to protect the turf from the adverse effects of UV radiation. Did they just spray?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Played Chalet Hills. Hadn’t been there in a while because it’s sooooo slow even though I really like the course. It’s just too hard for the average player. 5:30 round yesterday afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'd add The Glen Club to the list of $100+ courses worthy of playing. Of course it's not $100 in the summer, but rather $199 to walk on the weekends. The cheapest rate is $115 (M - Th, <9 am and >3 pm). I generally play it in the fall when rates are $100 or less.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Mostly pleasant morning at Wilmette (again). Could have used with a little less humidity, but at least there was a light northeast breeze cooling things down a bit. With the high dewpoint, the course was quite damp. The fairways were in the process of being cut. The rough was just nasty. Spent more than a few minutes searching for balls just off the fairway. Bunkers need grooming. The greens continued to be quite speedy. At least 11. I should have been happy with the 3:30 pace, but the single I was paired with bailed after nine holes, and it's just no fun following a bunch of foursomes around. 

Decent day scoring with one birdie and four bogies. Driver was a little off, missing left a few more times than needed. Irons were solid. My new irons should be arriving this week, and I can't wait to get them out on the course.

I have to be out in Crown Point tomorrow, so I'll likely tee it up at Summertree. I believe it's a bit of a goat track, but I'll be able to check off another area course. For $18 I'm not expecting much.

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

10 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Mostly pleasant morning at Wilmette (again). Could have used with a little less humidity, but at least there was a light northeast breeze cooling things down a bit. With the high dewpoint, the course was quite damp. The fairways were in the process of being cut. The rough was just nasty. Spent more than a few minutes searching for balls just off the fairway. Bunkers need grooming. The greens continued to be quite speedy. At least 11. I should have been happy with the 3:30 pace, but the single I was paired with bailed after nine holes, and it's just no fun following a bunch of foursomes around. 

Decent day scoring with one birdie and four bogies. Driver was a little off, missing left a few more times than needed. Irons were solid. My new irons should be arriving this week, and I can't wait to get them out on the course.

I have to be out in Crown Point tomorrow, so I'll likely tee it up at Summertree. I believe it's a bit of a goat track, but I'll be able to check off another area course. For $18 I'm not expecting much.

I played Summertree over 10 years ago. It seemed on the verge of closing then. Somewhat surprised it is still open. I honestly can't remember much about the course. 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

26 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I played Summertree over 10 years ago. It seemed on the verge of closing then. Somewhat surprised it is still open. I honestly can't remember much about the course. 

Summertree appears to be owned/operated by Heagan Golf. The Pheasant Valley course looks like it closed. 'Not sure about Indian Ridge, but the reviews are awful. Oak Knoll looks like it has new owners.

Edited by Argonne69

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Summertree appears to be owned/operated by Heagan Golf. The Pheasant Valley course looks like it closed. 'Not sure about Indian Ridge, but the reviews are awful. Oak Knoll looks like it has new owners.

I like this line from the Hegan Golf website... "Built in early 1970s, Summer Tree Golf Club in Crown Point Indiana is another Hegan masterpiece." 

A masterpiece. Boy, I really didn't pay attention when I played it.

Played Pheasant Valley once. I have never played a course with more blind tee shots. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

As I eat my lunch, I'm going to give a shout-out to Bonnie Brook in Waukegan. With courses jacking up rates and nickel and diming customers, hard to find a solid value these days. Well, I think Bonnie Brook is the best value up in Lake Co.

I played Bonnie Brook Saturday morning. The rate to walk is $37. Try to beat that rate on a weekend morning at any course, let alone, a solid layout like BBrook. And, IMO, the traditional parkland layout of Bonnie Brook is equal or better than the other Route 41 parkland courses. And, the course conditions have been excellent the past few years, and that was the case Saturday as well. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Mistwood Saturday afternoon.   The course, as usual, is in great condition.  The only “problem” we’re the spike marks around the flags, but that’s to be expected at that time.  
Another case of few too many bad swings.  
On a bright note, the “Kelpie’s Korner” was really good to me this time.  Stuck a 7i to 3 feet on 14,  cut the corner on 15 and had 195 to the pin.  Smooth 6i later, I was pin high above the hole and 2 putted for a birdie.  Ho hum par on 16 and a little mishap on 17 (bogey), but I don’t remember the last time I played this stretch 1-under.  

Our annual match play (2 vs 2 scramble) yesterday at Broken Arrow.  Unfortunately I lost (couple stupid bogeys and bulky putter), but overall our team came out victorious 6.5 - 2.5.  Course was in very good shape.  

Unless I sneak out during the week to Ruffled, looks like next round will be at Palmira.  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Anyone see that Bolingbrook is hosting the "Forme Tour" starting tomorrow for a 72 hole event and $115K in a prize pool?  Yeah, me neither.  They actually have a handful of recognizable names like Chase Koepka, Jordan Niebrugge, Andy Zhang, Dru Love,Dylan Meyer, Cristian Demarco and the guy I'll be pulling for, Byron Meth.  Poor dude.

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I'd add The Glen Club to the list of $100+ courses worthy of playing. Of course it's not $100 in the summer, but rather $199 to walk on the weekends. The cheapest rate is $115 (M - Th, <9 am and >3 pm). I generally play it in the fall when rates are $100 or less.

I've got a free round coming for TGC that ought to be fun to use. benefit of working the ESI tournament earlier this year.

still impressed at what was built on that site.

days gone by, we watched GNAS flights from the runway terminus at Willow Road.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

8 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

I've got a free round coming for TGC that ought to be fun to use. benefit of working the ESI tournament earlier this year.

still impressed at what was built on that site.

days gone by, we watched GNAS flights from the runway terminus at Willow Road.

I spent 6 years in the Navy Reserve, and did my weekend drills at Glenview Naval Air Station. Yeah, every time I stand on the course I remember back to standing on the tarmac in front of the old hangar looking out at the flat runway. They sure moved a lot of dirt. Our squadron's maintenance shop on the north end of the hangar is now a nail salon I believe. Lol. 

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I spent 6 years in the Navy Reserve, and did my weekend drills at Glenview Naval Air Station. Yeah, every time I stand on the course I remember back to standing on the tarmac in front of the old hangar looking out at the flat runway. They sure moved a lot of dirt. Our squadron's maintenance shop on the north end of the hangar is now a nail salon I believe. Lol. 

We want you, we want you, We want you as a new recruit!

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Conditions? Oh boy. The first clue if the big 'For Sale' sign at the entrance to the course. Like Big Run, I think they're barely keeping the course playable while they try to sell it to a developer to build houses. Shaggy is an understatement. To their credit the fairways were green. There was more crabgrass and clover than turfgrass, but I could hit off the stuff. Guess I'll have to cut Wilmette a little slack. It had been cut recently, but it was still taller than one would expect. On the 10th hole I hit a very nice drive that appeared to curve back to the center of the fairway. When I got to the landing area I couldn't see my ball, so I thought that maybe I had caught a tree branch, and fell down into the rough. After a few fruitless minutes searching, I dropped a ball a yard off the rough. As I was about to hit I saw the top off a ball in the middle of the fairway a few yards up. Yup, my ball was sitting down in the fairway with just the top exposed. Sheesh. The rough was brutal. Wet and thick. It cost me one lost ball, and a few strokes where I tried to go for the green, but should have hit no more than an 8 iron. Nasty stuff. The bunkers were a surprise. A mix of sand and dirt, but there was enough fluff to play a proper bunker shot. The greens sadly were unplayable. I've putted on recently aerated greens that could hold a line better than these. Besides the numerous bare patches there appeared to be some type of rot. They were uber bumpy, and rolling no more than 8 by the end of the round. The dew on the greens at the start of the round were creating bigger rooster tails than you'd see at the hydrofoil race.

I played Summertree years ago and the conditions were about the same. I played it with my dad in the 90’s and it was actually pretty decent, but that’s quite a while ago. It’s too bad given the property. With The Brassie closed, there really are only a handful of courses in NWI worth playing without driving either all the way to South Bend or to West Lafayette. White Hawk, Aberdeen, Palmira, umm…err…River Pointe? Scherwood? I guess Lost Marsh. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

9 hours ago, VNutz said:

He kindly slapped my card away and said he'd pick it up, throwing down a $20 bill. There was a moment of hesitation from the girl working there before she explained that it would $28.

Tournament pricing

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I played Summertree years ago and the conditions were about the same. I played it with my dad in the 90’s and it was actually pretty decent, but that’s quite a while ago. It’s too bad given the property. With The Brassie closed, there really are only a handful of courses in NWI worth playing without driving either all the way to South Bend or to West Lafayette. White Hawk, Aberdeen, Palmira, umm…err…River Pointe? Scherwood? I guess Lost Marsh. 

It really is surprising how few decent courses there are in the area. The Crown Point area continues to grow, but the quality mid to upper end courses are practically nonexistent.