Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Got out to Heritage Bluffs this afternoon.  Such a fun course - I’m surprised I’ve only played it couple times (none in the past 10 years or so).  Course was surprisingly dry - no standing water anywhere (even bunkers), no carts restrictions, etc….  Not bad for $59 on a Saturday (early) afternoon.    Played pretty well tee to green, except for couple flyers (how did this 7i fly 185 🤬🤬🤬) which resulted in doubles.  Unfortunately, couldn’t  buy a putt to save my life.   Of course, it’s the arrow not the Indian - new putter is being built by wonderful folks at Golfworks as I’m typing this.  When it arrives, the only non-Maltby club left in the bag will be a 3h.  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

On 7/2/2021 at 1:48 PM, Argonne69 said:

Ah, the joys of holiday weekend golf.

I hoped my 5:30 for Monday morning would be a quick practice round before the crowds arrived.

when I checked the sheet last night, saw the slot was filled with three other players and the rest of the morning fairly well booked.

cancelled and will try for after three today when the place empties out.

solo rounds with some music can be a blast.

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Finally broke my streak of 50-50’s with a 48-47 today. My play felt great today, minus the putter. 9/14 fairways with 3 good looks at birdie. What I did with those looks was another story. 4 putted the first one from 5 feet for a double. 2 putt par the next hole from 8 feet. And just burned the edge on a 4 footer a few holes later. Excited to get back out tomorrow, hoping to keep up the good play. 

• Like 3

Played on Sunday at Highland Woods. Great conditions overall except for several greens where the deer had played through overnight leaving some hoof marks.

The course played very fast overall and drives were rolling out at least an extra 20-30 yards. The green were very receptive and the only thing is the bunkers were rock hard.  Thankfully I was only in 1 so it was basically like playing off hard pan.  Yesterday must have been the rare day of hitting the center of the club face as several irons flew the greens, badly. 

On the front we got around in under 2 hours which is surprising for HW, on a holiday weekend.  For whatever reason, 2 groups in front of us on the back must have consumed molasses at the turn.  We were on the 12 tee and they were teeing off on 13.  Well, so it appeared.  Somehow we managed to play 12 (4 some) and catch them on the 13th tee along with the group in front of us.  We finished the back in 2:30 and waited on every shot from 13, until 18.

With the Real Feel temp being 98 yesterday, it wasn't a good thing that the beverage service professional blew past us on the back and didn't stop when we attempted to waived her down. Went from 14 through 18 having the manage the water in the 40 ounce Takeya.  Took about 30 minutes at home in an ice cold shower to get the body temp down.  Starting to think in the mid 60s, I should be smarter about riding at that temp level but I guess I'm just stubborn.

• Like 3

Nice to hear the conditions at Highland Woods are good, the property is real nice.

I played Prairie Landing for the 1st time since renovations.  Had a 10:40am with my 9 year old, the other twosome did not show so we had a great day to ourselves.  We play fairly fast so we waited roughly 5-10 minutes every shot, but it was a gorgeous day and 4:20 is not awful for a weekend round.  The new 19th hole is gorgeous, love the view from the bar area.  I forgot how wonderful the layout is and how the trees fill in on the back.  I had 262 in on the par 5 10th and like an idiot, I always go for it and then promptly roast a 3 wood into the junk left of the green...penalty.  I need to start laying up but so hard mentally when you only have that distance in.

The 12th hole looked so intimidating at 221, all over water.  One of the best 3 irons I can hit, was right at the flag, 12 feet past hole and actually made the putt.  Will probably never birdie that hole again the rest of my life...lol.

That being said, the conditions were average to poor.  It is not a $105 course in that shape.  Tee boxes were beat up and fairways had either dead spots or tons of unrepaired divots.  I thought the greens were real nice.  I'll keep playing due to awesome layout but only with week day deals.

• Like 2

Rough morning out at Maple Meadows. Let's start with the heat and lack of water and beverage service out on the course. It's a holiday, and the tee sheet is full for nearly the entire day. So why didn't we see the beverage cart until the 15th fairway, and only after a call to the pro shop? One can only carry so much water, and even with a refill at the turn we were parched. Pace was unsurprisingly slow at 4:20, but of course it could have been worse. After dozens of blazing quick rounds this season, I'm just not cut out for the slower pace. At least I knew what I was getting myself into, and my three playing partners were a fun bunch.

Conditions were fine. The rain really took the brown out of the fairways, as well as any rollout. Bunkers are a little light on sand. Greens were bumpy and slow. 'Probably 8 on the stimp. I think I managed to get two putts to the hole today.

Waiting on every shot doesn't suit my game. Only one birdie, and seven bogies. The highlight was managing not to put a ball in the penalty area on the 8th. Of course with the cross wind my drive wound up crossing the cart path and coming to rest on the side slope in the rough a couple of yards short of the red stakes. Awkward stance with the ball below my feet led to a poor shot, and another bogie on the wretched hole.

I'm planning to head to Toledo later this week to attend the Marathon Classic on Thursday and Friday. I think I may head out early tomorrow and swing by Stoatin Brae and Island Hills in South Central Michigan.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I met LD in Southern WI again this morning for a round at The Broadlands in North Prairie. It had been a few years since I had played there. The walking rate was $30, which is a steal on a holiday weekend. 

We had the first time tee. I much rather get up early than play a long round in the July heat and humidity. No thanks. Especially since you have to supply your own hydration now. Well, LD and I provided Broadlands with great pace to start the day, walking it in 2 hours 40 minutes. Play started on #10 today and on #1, the starter came zooming up in his cart, thinking we were jumping off the front. The guy was a rude a**. Without letting me talk, he's jumping to conclusions thinking we trying to avoid the building back-up on #10. Finally, I get in a word and let him know that we have already played the back 9 and we are making the turn. Did not get a "sorry", but the look on his face was funny though.

The course was playing tough this morning. The maintenance crew was out cutting the rough, but we got out in front of them, so we had to deal with it. It had definitely been a while since it was cut last, my guess was Wednesday or Thursday. The fairways are super wide at Broadlands, so the rough was more of an issue around the greens for me. The guy rolling the greens was just out in front of us and the greens were not receptive. Approach shots were just hitting and skipping off, especially on the front.

I decided to play from the white tees today, which was the smart move. Only wedge shots were holding and I had a bunch of them on 4s and 5s being up a tee box. But, this is a course that really needs a combo tee. The tips are 6,900, but the next box, the whites are only 6,250. Whenever I play it next, I will likely do my own combo tee. Something around 6,500, which is my sweet spot on a wide-open prairie style par 72.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Broadlands is a really fun course.

Today we went out to Big Run to watch grass grow,  and occasionally play a shot.  Not sure what we were thinking,  can anybody top 5 hours and 43 minutes per my GPS?  I'm a broken record,  too many guys playing from the white tees who should be playing from the forward tees, or even better find an executive course. I just don't understand.   Course was in the best shape I've seen it in years.   Greens were smooth with no pitch marks,  I think because most guys can't hit any of those greens. 

For the most part the round was decent.  I made a mess on hole 5 trying to go for it and catching a tree, nice triple there on an easy hole.   Only one birdie but had some good looks. Tossed a few more bogies for a 79. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Evergreen yesterday and Broadlands today. Evergreen was decent. They added a lot of sand to the bunkers but the greens were running a bit slower than last time and the course was covered in green dye. Every time I picked up a ball it had blue green dye all over it. With a 6:00 AM time we were off before it got too hot. Easy score to keep. 8 pars and one bogey on the front nine. 8 pars and one bogey on the back nine. 74. 
Broadlands this morning at 5:56. The footprint of that place is huge so the fact that we housed it in 2:45 is something. Midday, Broadlands is a 5 hour round waiting to happen. We were playing with the maintenance crew for most of the round but once the greens were all rolled they were really moving. I’m probably not long enough to play that course from the tips (6850 yards is about my max) but the white tees are under 6300 yards so I played from the back, took my lumps, and walked off with a 79. 
Edit: Just saw Bear’s recap. The thing with the starter was comical. Next time, get to work on time. Also, the guy in the pro shop was adamant that everyone was going off the back. We make the turn and sure enough there’s a single in a cart in front of us and he’s parking his cart right on the fringe. We get the first time so we don’t have to wait on guys hitting multiple balls and taking 30 minutes on every green. Brutal. Once we gave him a shout he sped up but he was definitely in his own world for a while. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Maple Meadows this past weekend. Conditions were pretty good for $50, which was the lowest price I could find for the holiday weekend. Fairways were green and still a little spongy with little roll out. Man, OB was a killer for this high handicapper. I started pulling 5 wood off the tee on the back 9 which helped with the water and tall grass. Pace was around 4:30, and we waited on every tee. From now on, it's 6am or bust. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

On weekends, I'm either teeing off before 7 a.m. or after 2:30 p.m. I mentally can not do a four and a half or five hour round. Reading about MountainKing's nearly 6 hour round at Big Run made me feel sick.

It was our own damn fault on that one, booking a course notorious for death marches during prime time holiday hours.  40 of those minutes were spent on the 9th hole alone, which had 5 groups on it the entire time we played it.  People need to play the right tees and after you hit double digits in strokes just pick the damn ball up and move on.  I don't get how people can take that many strokes hole after hole and still have fun.  I'm exhausted when I have a bad round and take more strokes than normal. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, Argonne69 said:

Rough morning out at Maple Meadows. Let's start with the heat and lack of water and beverage service out on the course. It's a holiday, and the tee sheet is full for nearly the entire day. So why didn't we see the beverage cart until the 15th fairway, and only after a call to the pro shop? One can only carry so much water, and even with a refill at the turn we were parched. Pace was unsurprisingly slow at 4:20, but of course it could have been worse. After dozens of blazing quick rounds this season, I'm just not cut out for the slower pace. At least I knew what I was getting myself into, and my three playing partners were a fun bunch.

Conditions were fine. The rain really took the brown out of the fairways, as well as any rollout. Bunkers are a little light on sand. Greens were bumpy and slow. 'Probably 8 on the stimp. I think I managed to get two putts to the hole today.

Waiting on every shot doesn't suit my game. Only one birdie, and seven bogies. The highlight was managing not to put a ball in the penalty area on the 8th. Of course with the cross wind my drive wound up crossing the cart path and coming to rest on the side slope in the rough a couple of yards short of the red stakes. Awkward stance with the ball below my feet led to a poor shot, and another bogie on the wretched hole.

I'm planning to head to Toledo later this week to attend the Marathon Classic on Thursday and Friday. I think I may head out early tomorrow and swing by Stoatin Brae and Island Hills in South Central Michigan.

Played Island Hills last weekend for the first time and it was a swamp with standing water in a few fairways but I'm sure its good now. Enjoyed the course and had a good variety of holes. Would play it again for sure. I haven't played Stoatin Brae since the year it first opened but that was an enjoyable course as well. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

Was not planning on playing yesterday but got talked into it by a buddy for an 832 tee time at Glenwoodie. Haven't played here since high school regionals or something like that about 20 years ago. Wasn't planning on playing because of the holiday crowd that would make it an excruciatingly long round and sure enough we get to the first tee before our tee time and the starter informs us that they are 4 groups behind at 8:30 in the morning!!!! I understand a frost delay or something but to be that far behind that early in the morning on a perfectly sunny day is unbelievable. Didn't get out of there until almost 2 o clock. Waiting on every shot was an understatement but somehow it didn't bother my game yesterday as I carded my lowest round of this season with a 71 and had my lowest putts in a long time with 24. I guess that putter fitting at Bettinardi was worth it as I've been lights out since the fitting a couple weeks ago. Course wasn't in the best condition and was still wet in a lot of spots but there are a good variety of holes and the greens were in pretty good shape. Not terrible for $45 on a holiday I guess. 

Edited by ME27
  • Like 3

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

Grueling, but still fun day at Stoatin Brae. A good change of pace to celebrate my 100th round of the year. I was the only nut walking the course. It was 94 degrees when I finished the round, but the heat index had to be 100+. Thankfully I had an umbrella, so there was a bit of shade. I was told there was two trees on the course, but I sure didn't get any benefit from them. Lol.

I got a bit unlucky in that there was nobody to pair me with, so I went out as a single behind a half dozen foursomes. Just nowhere to go, so I tried to be patient watching the clowns in front of me hit 100 yd drives into the tall grass. Ugh. 

The course has a lot of similarities to Arcadia Bluffs South, except that it's 1/3rd the price ($55 to walk). The front nine is mostly flat farmland, but the back nine shines with some nice elevation changes. The blowout-style bunkers are much better. Some are quite deep. I managed to stay out of all of them, but the fairway bunkers could be a shot at least with the steep faces. Greens were tricky, with some severe undulations, and a few nasty false fronts. 

Conditions were very good. A few blemishes, but overall very playable. Greens were very nice rolling at 10. Felt great not having to smash the putts. 

Very pleased with my ballstriking today. One birdie and five bogies. Definitely ran out of gas towards the end. The greens were quite firm, and I hit a few approaches that I thought were great, but wound up just off the back. It's not a true links course, but rolling the ball up is the right play on many holes. 

spacer.png

More pics: Stoatin Brae GC

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

30 minutes ago, ME27 said:

Was not planning on playing yesterday but got talked into it by a buddy for an 832 tee time at Glenwoodie. Haven't played here since high school regionals or something like that about 20 years ago. Wasn't planning on playing because of the holiday crowd that would make it an excruciatingly long round and sure enough we get to the first tee before our tee time and the starter informs us that they are 4 groups behind at 8:30 in the morning!!!! I understand a frost delay or something but to be that far behind that early in the morning on a perfectly sunny day is unbelievable. Didn't get out of there until almost 2 o clock. Waiting on every shot was an understatement but somehow it didn't bother my game yesterday as I carded my lowest round of this season with a 71 and had my lowest putts in a long time with 24. I guess that putter fitting at Bettinardi was worth it as I've been lights out since the fitting a couple weeks ago. Course wasn't in the best condition and was still wet in a lot of spots but there are a good variety of holes and the greens were in pretty good shape. Not terrible for $45 on a holiday I guess. 

How'd you do on the 16th, the "Devil Hole"? That hole always eats me alive. 

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

How'd you do on the 16th, the "Devil Hole"? That hole always eats me alive. 

Such a tough hole but yesterday I actually made par. Hit a hybrid down the fairway and then my approach landed just short of the green and if it landed maybe one yard shorter it would have rolled all the way down the hill. I never ran so fast to hit a chip lol. Was able to get up and down for par. My playing partners weren't as lucky haha. 

• Like 1

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, ME27 said:

Such a tough hole but yesterday I actually made par. Hit a hybrid down the fairway and then my approach landed just short of the green and if it landed maybe one yard shorter it would have rolled all the way down the hill. I never ran so fast to hit a chip lol. Was able to get up and down for par. My playing partners weren't as lucky haha. 

I grew up in the south suburbs, and I've played the course dozens of times. I always seem to be in the left rough, having to hit a big draw out of the junk. Yeah, right. Toughest hole on the course. The long par 4 10th is no pushover. 

• Like 1

GDN this Saturday. Anyone been there recently?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Was there about a month ago so not that recent but course was In Better shape than last year. Apart from the bunkers being terrible I’d say it was average condition. A lot can change in a month though lol. 

• Like 1

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I was there less than two weeks ago. Bunkers were awful, but fairways and greens were fine. 

4 hours ago, ME27 said:

Back back back in the day, the started would always fit in his buddies into the tee sheet. Always a prime time back up at that course.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, B-Man said:

Change of plan. Flossmoor tomorrow instead. Never been there. Looking forward to it.

• Like 4

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Fun morning at Island Hills, but I forgot that I played the course 6 years ago when I was in Kalamazoo. Bah. Lol. I didn't recognize it until I got to the elevated teebox on the par 3 17th hole overlooking the lake. The 18th with the forced carry also rang a bell. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Change of plan. Flossmoor tomorrow instead. Never been there. Looking forward to it.

Flossmoor is the most under-rated private club in Chicago. Amazing layout, with perfect greens and some really tough holes.  17 has to be in the top 10 toughest holes in Chicago.  Great advice on staying below the hole, too.  Looking forward to your review.

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Fun morning at Island Hills, but I forgot that I played the course 6 years ago when I was in Kalamazoo. Bah. Lol. I didn't recognize it until I got to the elevated teebox on the par 3 17th hole overlooking the lake. The 18th with the forced carry also rang a bell. 

spacer.png

Haha, that's great. However, when you play as many courses as you have, got to cut yourself some slack.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

12 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Haha, that's great. However, when you play as many courses as you have, got to cut yourself some slack.

It's happened a couple of times, but it still irks me. 'Just not a lot of quality courses on the road to Toledo. I've played Blackthorn and Warren several times. I was in Toledo a few years ago and checked off the best of the bunch there. Probably should have headed to Cleveland, and backtracked. The Cleveland area has quite a few of the best Ohio courses within 15 miles. 

If anyone is looking for a weekend getaway to a great new course I highly suggest checking out the Pfau Course at Indiana University. It is top notch. It definitely competes with the French Lick courses. It is also BRUTAL. My buddy and I played Sultan's run last night and shot 69 (him) 75 (me). And neither of us broke 80 today at IU. Will be interesting to see when they start hosting division 1 tournaments. 

• Like 1