2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Played hooky yesterday and trekked to Blackstone.  The course is in as fine of conditions, and playing as fast as I've ever seen it. 30 yards of roll, easily. The greens are really firm and while they held sell well spun shots or high lofted shots, I had 3 different chips land on the front and roll off the back, they were that quick.  And that's with going from chipping with a pw to a 56 degree wedge and putting a bit of air under the ball.  Just FAST.

Was a touched concerned with the 4 some that was in front of our 2 some, but huge KUDOS to them as we didn't wait on a single shot the entire round and finished in just over 3 hours.  

Our comp group plays Blackstone on Saturday and the forecast is spectacular.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Was a touched concerned with the 4 some that was in front of our 2 some, but huge KUDOS to them as we didn't wait on a single shot the entire round and finished in just over 3 hours.  

56 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Just a point of clarification....

When you say you were "touched," is that as in slightly unstable or you are just a softie with a kind heart?

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

My buddy decided to join and play Stonehenge this year down in Barrington.   I'm invited to play down there on Sunday.  Anyone play it before or have any insight or opinion on it?  I guess I don't understand the model behind it other than maybe creating an affordable place to play that isn't super busy like a local muni.   They make it very clear they don't sell alcohol there, which is totally fine but just a bit odd for a golf course.  Seems like an easy profit center. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

My buddy decided to join and play Stonehenge this year down in Barrington.   I'm invited to play down there on Sunday.  Anyone play it before or have any insight or opinion on it?  I guess I don't understand the model behind it other than maybe creating an affordable place to play that isn't super busy like a local muni.   They make it very clear they don't sell alcohol there, which is totally fine but just a bit odd for a golf course.  Seems like an easy profit center. 

Haven't played it in years and the only real memory is it was like playing 2 different courses.  Think it's the front that is really long, and the back 9 really short. Just a bit odd...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Played hooky yesterday and trekked to Blackstone.  The course is in as fine of conditions, and playing as fast as I've ever seen it. 30 yards of roll, easily. The greens are really firm and while they held sell well spun shots or high lofted shots, I had 3 different chips land on the front and roll off the back, they were that quick.  And that's with going from chipping with a pw to a 56 degree wedge and putting a bit of air under the ball.  Just FAST.

Our comp group plays Blackstone on Saturday and the forecast is spectacular.

Practice round before the comp?  
That’s my move too.  

• Like 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

22 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Thinking about a visit to Bettinardi in a couple of weeks. I would arrive at 6:55AM and leave at 8:50PM so I have some time to play 18.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

You’re less than ten minutes from George Dunne National at the Bettinardi studio. GDN isn’t in anywhere near the shape that Cog 4 and Mistwood are but the layout is very good. It’s $49 on weekdays so it won’t set you back too much. Lots of goose 💩 on the course and the bunkers leave a lot to be desired but it’s a good course and a fair challenge. 

• Like 4

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

9 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

I'm a member there,  play it a few times a year.   It's cheap to play, generally in decent shape, pace of play is great and easy to get a last minute time.  The course isn't going to win any awards,  quirky in places, but it's fun and can challenge you in places. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I'm a member there,  play it a few times a year.   It's cheap to play, generally in decent shape, pace of play is great and easy to get a last minute time.  The course isn't going to win any awards,  quirky in places, but it's fun and can challenge you in places. 

Sounds good.  My buddy lives in Wauconda and was driving up to WI to play with me at Brighton Dale and just became too much.  I believe he likes the pace of play and a chance to get out after work over there so I'm just interested in seeing what it is like.   He mentioned the greens being pretty large and challenging. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

I haven't played out at Shepherds in a few seasons.   Used to always get out there a few times each year.  This is a great time to play it while it is still lush.   Definitely a fun and fair layout that never gets old to play.  Were the greens getting up to speed?    I used to drive out there just to use their practice green with my headphones on until my back couldn't take it anymore.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

I haven't played out at Shepherds in a few seasons.   Used to always get out there a few times each year.  This is a great time to play it while it is still lush.   Definitely a fun and fair layout that never gets old to play.  Were the greens getting up to speed?    I used to drive out there just to use their practice green with my headphones on until my back couldn't take it anymore.  

I played Shepherds on Sunday. The greens were running around a 10. Not too far off their usual pace.

Not a surprise though. Shepherds always does a fantastic job getting their greens to run around the same pace no matter the weather or time of year. It's ThunderHawk that always a bit of mystery. 

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

29 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I played Shepherds on Sunday. The greens were running around a 10. Not too far off their usual pace.

Not a surprise though. Shepherds always does a fantastic job getting their greens to run around the same pace no matter the weather or time of year. It's ThunderHawk that always a bit of mystery. 

Never really liked Thunderhawk and also haven't been in a few years.   Kind of an uninspired layout IMO and I really dislike holes 12-15.   Like they ran out of room and tried to just shoe horn them in there.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Never really liked Thunderhawk and also haven't been in a few years.   Kind of an uninspired layout IMO and I really dislike holes 12-15.   Like they ran out of room and tried to just shoe horn them in there.  

Can't disagree about 12 - 15, but the rest of the course more or less makes up for it. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Tried Mill Creek after the reopening. I've only played it once before. $45 aint bad for a weekend rate. The greens stimped at 8 (they were smooth though), the sand was fresh, and there was no drinking water or a cart girl. I didn't remember any of the holes and a few were very tricky with blind spots. Luckily my uncle helped point me toward the hole because on numerous occasions I was aiming for the wrong pin on blind shots (9 and 17). 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 5/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, Argonne69 said:

Can't disagree about 12 - 15, but the rest of the course more or less makes up for it. 

I'd have to look at the property again but I also dislike the tee shot and design of 16.   I would have much rather seen them make that into a long par 4 and used that area off the tee in a different way to redesign those couple holes and wipe out that stupid boomerang lay up par 4 hole.   It's not the worst stretch I've seen but just bothers me the times I have played there.  

Edited by TBone0576

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

36 in Southern Wisconsin with Bear today. First was Delbrook, which I had very low expectations for but was pleasantly surprised after playing. The course was very lush but the rough had been cut. The greens were slow but smooth and most bunkers had a decent amount of sand in them. It’s only a par 70 but is about 6600 yards so there were plenty of long par 4’s. Standard issue Midwest parkland layout with a lot of mature trees. It’s not going to win any awards but if one is in the area and wants a nice challenge at a good price, I recommend. Also played in 2:45. 74. 

Round two was at Glen Erin. It’s just awesome there. First of all, it’s $60 to ride but $32 to walk. I LOVE that. “You wanna ride? Sure, but you’ve gotta pay double.” More courses should have that policy. It was in excellent shape as always. Greens were stimping at a 10 and it was playing pretty firm, though not as rock hard as in year’s past. We were behind a wedding party but played through all four groups and got around in 3:40. I had back-to-back birdies on 3 and 4 and shot even on the front and +2 on the back for a 73. Bear was an absolute machine with his wedges today. It’s seemed like every approach he hit from inside 110 yards stuck inside 4 feet. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 5/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, DavePelz4 said:

Naperbrook today.  Walked on as a single and you know when you're on the range and see some guys that you just don't want to be paired up with, yep.  My lucky day. Although they certainly didn't appear to be, they all had to be Irish because they kept saying "Mulligan" to each other. That led to us being THAT group and a round that pushed 4:40. 

... I was thinking of you today watching the Schwab Challenge group take 45 minutes to play one hole. Figured you would either be paired up with them or have to follow them in a Pro Am. 🤪

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Made it out to Stonehenge yesterday.  With a breeze coming out of the south it made the par 5's and 3's extremely difficult.  I think only one played downwind.   The course basically lives and dies with those green complexes.   The tees and even fairways were nothing to write home about, but was happy the rough was cut down to reasonable levels making balls easier to find.  I'll try to get back out there with my buddy later this year and at least now I know what to expect.   I haven't played greens that big since I used to play Pine Meadow every weekend.  The layout itself was not bad.   There was a goofy hole on the back #16 where you have to thread a really tight tee shot through some trees.  Hardest hole was definitely #4 I think which was a long par 5 with water on right and OB left.    I scraped it around in 81.  Just never could get anything going out there and put myself in a few bad spots.  I'm getting frustrated with my putter and may be putting it into jail for the first time this year.   😁

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Southern Wisconsin does it right. Bear and I made a 5:40 AM tee time at Edgewood Pines and as we were teeing off on one, a guy was already finishing up on 9. Very firm conditions though the greens were slow. The holes along the Fox River were a mess, as always, but the rest was in fairly decent shape. I didn’t play great but had three birdies (4, 13 and 17) to offset some iffy ball striking. Another 74. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Boone Creek yesterday and I still don't get it.  How can this country $40 course have better, faster greens than 90% of the $80 courses?  Greens were perfect!  This course is an example of slope/rating being based basically on distance.  You can get yourself in some real trouble here on some holes yet it is 69.1/120.  Always a great experience here, went with wife, son and daughter.   We passed one twosome and caught a foursome on hole 18.   3:20 minutes.   I have never played a slow round at this course, love it.

• Like 4

Respectfully @St, Jimmy, we need to talk about your bunker evaluation and definition of what is sand. Got the passport stamped, crossed over in Windsor, validated my vax/booster and ended up at Oak Grove 32 hours later.  Over exaggerated by 30 hours. 

Let's start with the positive.  They have newish range balls. Well done. Oh...and the fairways were mowed, this week.

Let's deal with reality.  Golf Visions SUCKS. Let's start with they raised rates by $20/round as compared to 2021. I get controlling cost but when checking in, I asked for a scorecard.  I was told that my group had people riding in a cart and they had a score card so I was denied.  Seriously. Thinking that was $0.38 saved.

The raked dirt pits were just that.  Raked dirt.  I talked to the staff after the round and they said last week, Tim Miles Jr., took 1 wheelbarrow of "sand" to each bunker (apparently he's not good with math) and put down a thin layer of sand.  Even the staff said it was a joke. When walking into the dirt pits, there was more crunching under my feet than eating crunchy Cheetos, with less flavor and definitely less cheese dust. Fairway or greenside dirt pits, they were the same.  

They had prepared the dirt pits within the last week.  The rakes had less teeth than my hair comb and frankly, neither the dirt pits or my flowing lacking mane needs anything for styling. Hard packed dirt is still dirt.

We played Oak Grove when it was first opened and the greens were amazingly pure like Medinah.  Of course, more play is going to impact things, but these greens were like a 17 year old's face at prom...more bumps, pock marks, craters and the inconsistency of Oprah's body composition. 

And then let's talk about the beverage Henchwoman. Clearly she was educated in golf etiquette in the hole at Statesville, and she always seemed to start her cart when someone was hitting. The entire staff at Oak Grove is new and I'll wager than they are making 25% less than last year's staff, thank you again Golf Visions.

Let's put a topping on the crap sundae with the pace of play.  Teed off at 9ish.  Walked off the course at 2:40.  A solid 5 hour and 40 minute round. 

It's really sad as Oak Grove could be a top 5 course in the state with a little loving care.  Instead it's a Top 5 money grab by Golf Visions and as the staff said, when Tim Sr. is there, he sits on his fat arse, eats a cheese burger and watches TV.

Hey Tim...do something and respect the course, your clients and quit making money the only thing you care about.  

Won't be back there this year and sorry Jimmy, as you deserve better.

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Respectfully @St, Jimmy, we need to talk about your bunker evaluation and definition of what is sand. Got the passport stamped, crossed over in Windsor, validated my vax/booster and ended up at Oak Grove 32 hours later.  Over exaggerated by 30 hours. 

Let's start with the positive.  They have newish range balls. Well done. Oh...and the fairways were mowed, this week.

Let's deal with reality.  Golf Visions SUCKS. Let's start with they raised rated by $20/round as compared to 2021. I get controlling cost but when checking in, I asked for a scorecard.  I was told that my group had people riding in a cart and they had a score card so I was denied.  Seriously. Thinking that was $0.38 saved.

The raked dirt pits were just that.  Raked dirt.  I talked to the staff after the round and they said last week, Tim Miles Jr., took 1 wheelbarrow of "sand" to each bunker (apparently he's not good with math) and put down a thin layer of sand.  Even the staff said it was a joke. When walking into the dirt pits, there was more crunching under my feet than eating crunchy Cheetos, with less flavor and definitely less cheese dust. Fairway or greenside dirt pits, they were the same.  

They had prepared the dirt pits within the last week.  The rakes had less teeth than my hair comb and frankly, neither the dirt pits or my flowing lacking mane needs anything for styling. Hard packed dirt is still dirt.

We played Oak Grove when it was first opened and the greens were amazingly pure like Medinah.  Of course, more play is going to impact things, but these greens were like a 17 year old's face at prom...more bumps, pock marks, craters and the inconsistency of Oprah's body composition. 

And then let's talk about the beverage Henchwoman. Clearly she was educated in golf etiquette in the hole at Statesville, and she always seemed to start her cart when someone was hitting. The entire staff at Oak Grove is new and I'll wager than they are making 25% less than last year's staff, thank you again Golf Visions.

Let's put a topping on the crap sundae with the pace of play.  Teed off at 9ish.  Walked off the course at 2:40.  A solid 5 hour and 40 minute round. 

It's really sad as Oak Grove could be a top 5 course in the state with a little loving care.  Instead it's a Top 5 money grab by Golf Visions and as the staff said, when Tim Sr. is there, he sits on his fat arse, eats a cheese burger and watches TV.

Hey Tim...do something and respect the course, your clients and quit making money the only thing you care about.  

well said as usual, DP4

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

8 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Let's deal with reality.  Golf Visions SUCKS. Let's start with they raised rated by $20/round as compared to 2021. I get controlling cost but when checking in, I asked for a scorecard.  I was told that my group had people riding in a cart and they had a score card so I was denied.  Seriously. Thinking that was $0.38 saved.

There was sand in each bunker last weekend.

When I showed up Saturday morning the heavy rains during the week had washed it away somehow.  

I don't know the science behind it, but it was pretty crazy to have changed so much in a week.  

I mentioned to my playing partners that I was going to catch hell for the bunkers...

lol 

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 3

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Schaumburg this morning with my dad and wonderful fella named John who owns a Japanese restaurant in Wilmette. The conditions are currently immaculate . Greens were running a solid 10.5 and the fairways were firm and rolling. The rough is extremely long and thick and takes a pass or two to find your ball. I would love to find a way to add some yardage to the course but I can't complain too much with those conditions. Whoever their super is does one hell of a job with a "park district" course.

28 minutes ago, jcook10 said:

Schaumburg this morning with my dad and wonderful fella named John who owns a Japanese restaurant in Wilmette. The conditions are currently immaculate . Greens were running a solid 10.5 and the fairways were firm and rolling. The rough is extremely long and thick and takes a pass or two to find your ball. I would love to find a way to add some yardage to the course but I can't complain too much with those conditions. Whoever their super is does one hell of a job with a "park district" course.

100% agree.  I have played Schaumburg a few times this year and the conditions are awesome.  The sand is white and fluffy, unlike 99% of the sand at munis in the area.  Whoever is working on that course is doing a fine job.  The rough is heavy and my playing partner was not happy about it.

The stars aligned for just my 2nd round of Chicagoland golf over the weekend. Finally had a Saturday void of baseball/softball, previous travel plans fell through, and a friend was gracious enough to invite me out to Chicago Highlands for the first time. I drive past it daily but from the road you really have no idea what's going on there. Such a cool place. Nice combination of upscale without feeling stuffy, or at least not overly so, with a big emphasis on family offerings with the pool and 3 hole practice/kids course. I feel like I don't hear much about that course anymore but it felt like everything I did hear during construction and early years was somewhat on the negative in terms of design, lack of a clubhouse at that time, etc. but no complaints from me. Course was in pristine condition with the exception of 1 spot and greens ran extremely quick and true. It was amazing how different a Saturday morning time there was vs a public course, felt like we had the place to ourselves. Drove a par 4 on the back, had 3 birdies on the day and brain farted a 2 footer for another. Can't help but wonder when that 3rd round of the season might occur...

• Like 3