Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

I'm going to be flying into ORD at 8am on Monday for business (from upstate NY) - - looking to get in a round and be downtown by 5pm-ish for dinner.... Anyone have interest in playing a round with a low handicap that hasn't swung a club in 3 weeks - - that just means there's equal chances of a 72 and 92 :)

I feel silly to not play Cog Hill while i'm in town, but its definitely pretty pricey. I'm open to suggestions as well, whether you can play or not.

> @05LMBVette said:

> I'm going to be flying into ORD at 8am on Monday for business (from upstate NY) - - looking to get in a round and be downtown by 5pm-ish for dinner.... Anyone have interest in playing a round with a low handicap that hasn't swung a club in 3 weeks - - that just means there's equal chances of a 72 and 92 :)

>

> I feel silly to not play Cog Hill while i'm in town, but its definitely pretty pricey. I'm open to suggestions as well, whether you can play or not.

Monday's forecast looks iffy with 14 to 20 mph winds, and a 35% chance of rain. The Preserve would probably be a good option, as it's less than 10 miles from ORD, and it's a fairly easy ride into downtown.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @05LMBVette said:

> I'm going to be flying into ORD at 8am on Monday for business (from upstate NY) - - looking to get in a round and be downtown by 5pm-ish for dinner.... Anyone have interest in playing a round with a low handicap that hasn't swung a club in 3 weeks - - that just means there's equal chances of a 72 and 92 :)

>

> I feel silly to not play Cog Hill while i'm in town, but its definitely pretty pricey. I'm open to suggestions as well, whether you can play or not.

Would love to join but weekdays don't work for me. Cog is kind of a love/hate thing around here. It's a nice course, but you pay more for the past tournaments and the name than the course itself nowadays.

I'll echo the suggestion above in The Preserve. It's a unique course, lots of water, and opened just a year or two ago after a renovation. Parts of the course are original'ish from when Ben Hogan won the 1941 Chicago Open there. And best of all pretty close to the airport.

• Like 1

Just got 2 emails I figured I'd share. first - new golf galaxy is opening next week in Downers Grove... Across the street from the PGA tour super store. I think this is so weird, and not sure the thinking behind it. That being said, I will go there. The PGATSS employees are never pleasant so I am happy to bring my business elsewhere.

2nd - Ruffled Feathers is hosting a 2 man 6-6-6 tournament on the 26th. Looks like a fun event and my wife and I are planning to play in it if it isn't frigid.

• Like 1

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @05LMBVette said:

> > I'm going to be flying into ORD at 8am on Monday for business (from upstate NY) - - looking to get in a round and be downtown by 5pm-ish for dinner.... Anyone have interest in playing a round with a low handicap that hasn't swung a club in 3 weeks - - that just means there's equal chances of a 72 and 92 :)

> >

> > I feel silly to not play Cog Hill while i'm in town, but its definitely pretty pricey. I'm open to suggestions as well, whether you can play or not.

>

> Monday's forecast looks iffy with 14 to 20 mph winds, and a 35% chance of rain. The Preserve would probably be a good option, as it's less than 10 miles from ORD, and it's a fairly easy ride into downtown.

> @VNutz said:

>I'll echo the suggestion above in The Preserve. It's a unique course, lots of water, and opened just a year or two ago after a renovation. Parts of the course are >original'ish from when Ben Hogan won the 1941 Chicago Open there. And best of all pretty close to the airport.

Thanks for the suggestion - i looked it up and it looks nice! certainly makes it easy to uber there and back to ORD, to then grab the blue-line downtown!

I know the weather is iffy, but its still a long way away... where i live its always windy and chilly this time of year, so its no big deal...

> @mci711 said:

> > @propman said:

> > Wasn't the previous Golf Galaxy across the street from the PGA SS ?

>

> Yes, I think it was in the same complex as the new one actually. (That is before I lived out here).

Same complex, just on the opposite side and now it'll face Butterfield. Maybe they're trying to capitalize on the folks who dislike PGASS? I hate going in that store and try to avoid it. It has a really weird vibe to it.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @05LMBVette said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @05LMBVette said:

> > > I'm going to be flying into ORD at 8am on Monday for business (from upstate NY) - - looking to get in a round and be downtown by 5pm-ish for dinner.... Anyone have interest in playing a round with a low handicap that hasn't swung a club in 3 weeks - - that just means there's equal chances of a 72 and 92 :)

> > >

> > > I feel silly to not play Cog Hill while i'm in town, but its definitely pretty pricey. I'm open to suggestions as well, whether you can play or not.

> >

> > Monday's forecast looks iffy with 14 to 20 mph winds, and a 35% chance of rain. The Preserve would probably be a good option, as it's less than 10 miles from ORD, and it's a fairly easy ride into downtown.

>

> > @VNutz said:

> >I'll echo the suggestion above in The Preserve. It's a unique course, lots of water, and opened just a year or two ago after a renovation. Parts of the course are >original'ish from when Ben Hogan won the 1941 Chicago Open there. And best of all pretty close to the airport.

>

> Thanks for the suggestion - i looked it up and it looks nice! certainly makes it easy to uber there and back to ORD, to then grab the blue-line downtown!

>

> I know the weather is iffy, but its still a long way away... where i live its always windy and chilly this time of year, so its no big deal...

It would probably be quicker, and certainly more comfortable, to take Metra commuter rail from Bensenville (or Villa Park) than the Blue Line from O'Hare. The Bensenville Metra station is less than 3 miles from the golf course. Inbound trains run every hour (1:04 pm, 2:04 pm, 3:03 pm, and 4:03 pm), and take ~40 minutes to Union Station. The inbound trains from Villa Park run every hour on the 0:01 mark.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

After attending in 2012, you're probably better off. Imagine a full major tournament, with at max 12 matches playing at the same time. It's a $hit show and you see very little unless you camp out all day. The atmosphere and experience are amazing, but if you actually want to see shots and have an idea of what's going on, the flat screen and a couch is a much better viewing experience.

• Like 1

> @mci711 said:

> > @DeeBee30 said:

> > Not a golf course post, but I finally got into the Ryder Cup purchase window after waiting "in line" for 30 monites. Of course, the only tickets left for purchase are the practice day tix. Oh well...maybe next time.

>

> Me too. StubHub and $400 dollars it is. What a scam.

Same! What a bummer.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

> @VNutz said:

> After attending in 2012, you're probably better off. Imagine a full major tournament, with at max 12 matches playing at the same time. It's a $hit show and you see very little unless you camp out all day. The atmosphere and experience are amazing, but if you actually want to see shots and have an idea of what's going on, the flat screen and a couch is a much better viewing experience.

This was my expectation. I don't really love going to PGA events for that exact reason, and I am sure this is 10fold. That being said, seeing 1 day and being a part of it would have been a cool 1 time thing.

> @VNutz said:

> After attending in 2012, you're probably better off. Imagine a full major tournament, with at max 12 matches playing at the same time. It's a $hit show and you see very little unless you camp out all day. The atmosphere and experience are amazing, but if you actually want to see shots and have an idea of what's going on, the flat screen and a couch is a much better viewing experience.

Went to the same one at Medinah and we spent the first 30 minutes trying to see the play over the crowds and the next 4 hours in the hospitality lounge watching every match with libations. Not a bad way to go.

> @mci711 said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > After attending in 2012, you're probably better off. Imagine a full major tournament, with at max 12 matches playing at the same time. It's a $hit show and you see very little unless you camp out all day. The atmosphere and experience are amazing, but if you actually want to see shots and have an idea of what's going on, the flat screen and a couch is a much better viewing experience.

>

> This was my expectation. I don't really love going to PGA events for that exact reason, and I am sure this is 10fold. That being said, seeing 1 day and being a part of it would have been a cool 1 time thing.

Same opinion here. I much prefer watching most sports on the big screen, but I regretted not going to 2012 and wanted to experience some of the fervor in person.

after waiting online to see that the only package left was the weekly pass, and not being able to use that, decided to use the money for my own golfing pleasure.

can always watch the RC games on a big screen with friends and refreshments.

locally, 2020 will have the Evans Scholars tournament at the Glen Club and the BMW at Olympia Fields. I've already committed to working both.

being inside the ropes brings me more enjoyment than stacking up behind eight or ten spectators.

hope all of you that were able to get tickets enjoy yourselves and bring back terrific stories.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Last weekend, I made my first trip to Sand Valley. On my way, I stopped and played an old 9 nine hole course Eagle Springs. I've heard about Eagle Springs on the Fried Egg podcast and have always wanted to check it out. For $12 it was a great. They claim it's the oldest course in WI and a few of the original holes are still in play. The 2nd is a really cool elevated green par three. It's not worth a special trip, but if your in the area, it's worth playing.

I had two trips to Sand Valley fall apart this summer, one for weather and the other for family. When I got a random fall rates email, I decided to go. I scheduled 4 rounds, two on each course and figured I'd squeeze in The Sand Box at some point. They didn't have any single rooms available, so I stayed offsite at The Inn of The Pines. It was 15 minutes away, cheap and had a decent bar. Can't say I'd go back or recommend it. Sunday I teed off at 7:30, the first one out on Sand Valley. Event though I played the wrong 6th hole I still finished in 3 hrs. As I made it to the wrong 6th green, the starter drove up and gave me a ride back to the correct tee. Kind of a bummer, bc I hit a great shot into that green:) Overall, I think SV is an excellent course. There were a few blind shots that got me and a few bad bounces, but that's part of links golf that I really enjoy. I got a few great bounces too. My only bad hole was a double on 18, hate it when that happens.

Sunday afternoon, I had a 12:30 tee time on Mammoth. Most of the people I talked to said Mammoth is their favorite and I was excited to play it. I was paired with two guys from Milwaukee, who were good guys and decent enough players to be paired with. For those that haven't been, everything about Mammoth is huge; the elevation changes, the size of the fairways, the greens are enormous and have large humps and ridges. Tee to green I played pretty well, I struggled on the greens. I couldn't make anything under 6 feet, and had a lot of sloppy three putts. All day the weather was chilly, but fine with a few layers and a ski hat. On 17 in the afternoon, we felt the temperature drop and it started to snow. 18 was dead into the wind the snow felt like buck shot in your face. By the time we got to the green, there was 1/2 inch of snow and putting was impossible. Time for a shower and many beers.

I had 8 am and 1 pm tee times for Monday, when I got to my car it was covered in ice and I had to let it run to defrost the windshield, not the way I want to spend the last day of my golf get-a-way. Not surprisingly, there was a frost delay when I got to the course. In all honesty, I was really hung over from the night before and was happy I didn't have to race out. I got in one round on Mammoth, teed off at 10 and finished at 2:20. Not bad. I was paired with a threesome of guys in their late 20's on a buddies trip. They were pretty good and also fun to play with. By the time I finished I was done, so I didn't play The Sand Box.

Sand Valley was really hyped for me by all the guys I know who've played there. I have to say the courses exceeded my expectations. Both are great, while I expected to like Mammoth more, I have to give the nod to Sand Valley. I can't wait to go back.

• Like 1

Sand Valley is definitely more of a challenge. MD isn't going to kick you in the head, making for a more enjoyable experience. Great views, easy off the tee, but still challenging to go low.

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> after waiting online to see that the only package left was the weekly pass, and not being able to use that, decided to use the money for my own golfing pleasure.

> can always watch the RC games on a big screen with friends and refreshments.

>

> locally, 2020 will have the Evans Scholars tournament at the Glen Club and the BMW at Olympia Fields. I've already committed to working both.

> being inside the ropes brings me more enjoyment than stacking up behind eight or ten spectators.

>

> hope all of you that were able to get tickets enjoy yourselves and bring back terrific stories.

I was thinking about volunteering at the BMW. I am sure it is too late now. I was a scorekeeper at a Web event a few years ago and it was awesome. I looked at the BMW website and didn't see anywhere to sign up in the volunteer section. How do you go about it?

> @mci711 said:

> > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > after waiting online to see that the only package left was the weekly pass, and not being able to use that, decided to use the money for my own golfing pleasure.

> > can always watch the RC games on a big screen with friends and refreshments.

> >

> > locally, 2020 will have the Evans Scholars tournament at the Glen Club and the BMW at Olympia Fields. I've already committed to working both.

> > being inside the ropes brings me more enjoyment than stacking up behind eight or ten spectators.

> >

> > hope all of you that were able to get tickets enjoy yourselves and bring back terrific stories.

>

> I was thinking about volunteering at the BMW. I am sure it is too late now. I was a scorekeeper at a Web event a few years ago and it was awesome. I looked at the BMW website and didn't see anywhere to sign up in the volunteer section. How do you go about it?

on the event main page, look for the link up top that says Volunteers. click that and you should be able to enter your information to get on the mailing list.

previous volunteers received notifications to sign up in the beginning of September. other notices might be held off for a bit.

for the 2019 tournament my notice arrived May 2018.

when you receive your invitation email, sign up sooner rather than later. committees fill up fast. they always have over a thousand people. at Conway I heard there were 1500.

tournaments have had me on transportation, merchandise, walking scorer, marshal and shotlink.

nothing more enjoyable than being able to be on the grounds watching tournament play - because you belong there.

this year's price to sign up is $135. your badge lets you in the gate every day, whether you're working or not.

two shirts, hat, lunch on your work days, couple of guest day passes.

it's a gas.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > after waiting online to see that the only package left was the weekly pass, and not being able to use that, decided to use the money for my own golfing pleasure.

> > > can always watch the RC games on a big screen with friends and refreshments.

> > >

> > > locally, 2020 will have the Evans Scholars tournament at the Glen Club and the BMW at Olympia Fields. I've already committed to working both.

> > > being inside the ropes brings me more enjoyment than stacking up behind eight or ten spectators.

> > >

> > > hope all of you that were able to get tickets enjoy yourselves and bring back terrific stories.

> >

> > I was thinking about volunteering at the BMW. I am sure it is too late now. I was a scorekeeper at a Web event a few years ago and it was awesome. I looked at the BMW website and didn't see anywhere to sign up in the volunteer section. How do you go about it?

>

> on the event main page, look for the link up top that says Volunteers. click that and you should be able to enter your information to get on the mailing list.

> previous volunteers received notifications to sign up in the beginning of September. other notices might be held off for a bit.

> for the 2019 tournament my notice arrived May 2018.

> when you receive your invitation email, sign up sooner rather than later. committees fill up fast. they always have over a thousand people. at Conway I heard there were 1500.

>

> tournaments have had me on transportation, merchandise, walking scorer, marshal and shotlink.

> nothing more enjoyable than being able to be on the grounds watching tournament play - because you belong there.

>

> this year's price to sign up is $135. your badge lets you in the gate every day, whether you're working or not.

> two shirts, hat, lunch on your work days, couple of guest day passes.

> it's a gas.

>

>

>

Thanks for the info. I was a walking scorer at the web event and it was one of my favorite times watching golf. Listening to them talk through what they are thinking is amazing.

Last day at work today. Tomorrow I plan to sleep in an extra hour, mozy on over to my local breakfast restaurant for a casual meal, and then head out mid-morning to The Preserve without an actual tee time. Imagine that.

• Like 3

Awesome, Arg.

Coingratulations!

Way to leverage that first working day off!

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Late fall rates start Monday at The Glen Club. It's $90 to walk any time of the day seven days a week. 'Gotta get out there before they close for the season.

• Like 1

Ok, the call is for the Preserve again on saturday.

First time that I will have played it twice in one season.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @mci711 said:

> > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > > after waiting online to see that the only package left was the weekly pass, and not being able to use that, decided to use the money for my own golfing pleasure.

> > > > can always watch the RC games on a big screen with friends and refreshments.

> > > >

> > > > locally, 2020 will have the Evans Scholars tournament at the Glen Club and the BMW at Olympia Fields. I've already committed to working both.

> > > > being inside the ropes brings me more enjoyment than stacking up behind eight or ten spectators.

> > > >

> > > > hope all of you that were able to get tickets enjoy yourselves and bring back terrific stories.

> > >

> > > I was thinking about volunteering at the BMW. I am sure it is too late now. I was a scorekeeper at a Web event a few years ago and it was awesome. I looked at the BMW website and didn't see anywhere to sign up in the volunteer section. How do you go about it?

> >

> > on the event main page, look for the link up top that says Volunteers. click that and you should be able to enter your information to get on the mailing list.

> > previous volunteers received notifications to sign up in the beginning of September. other notices might be held off for a bit.

> > for the 2019 tournament my notice arrived May 2018.

> > when you receive your invitation email, sign up sooner rather than later. committees fill up fast. they always have over a thousand people. at Conway I heard there were 1500.

> >

> > tournaments have had me on transportation, merchandise, walking scorer, marshal and shotlink.

> > nothing more enjoyable than being able to be on the grounds watching tournament play - because you belong there.

> >

> > this year's price to sign up is $135. your badge lets you in the gate every day, whether you're working or not.

> > two shirts, hat, lunch on your work days, couple of guest day passes.

> > it's a gas.

> >

> >

> >

>

> Thanks for the info. I was a walking scorer at the web event and it was one of my favorite times watching golf. Listening to them talk through what they are thinking is amazing.

Wonder if we crossed paths - I've had the good fortune to get that job at WGA / Web events for the last couple years. you work for Sue's committee ?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

> @Argonne69 said:

> Late fall rates start Monday at The Glen Club. It's $90 to walk any time of the day seven days a week. 'Gotta get out there before they close for the season.

>

I've got a gift cert good for Mon thru Thurs play that I need to use by the end of November, and one more PTO day on the work calendar.

this could be good.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > > > after waiting online to see that the only package left was the weekly pass, and not being able to use that, decided to use the money for my own golfing pleasure.

> > > > > can always watch the RC games on a big screen with friends and refreshments.

> > > > >

> > > > > locally, 2020 will have the Evans Scholars tournament at the Glen Club and the BMW at Olympia Fields. I've already committed to working both.

> > > > > being inside the ropes brings me more enjoyment than stacking up behind eight or ten spectators.

> > > > >

> > > > > hope all of you that were able to get tickets enjoy yourselves and bring back terrific stories.

> > > >

> > > > I was thinking about volunteering at the BMW. I am sure it is too late now. I was a scorekeeper at a Web event a few years ago and it was awesome. I looked at the BMW website and didn't see anywhere to sign up in the volunteer section. How do you go about it?

> > >

> > > on the event main page, look for the link up top that says Volunteers. click that and you should be able to enter your information to get on the mailing list.

> > > previous volunteers received notifications to sign up in the beginning of September. other notices might be held off for a bit.

> > > for the 2019 tournament my notice arrived May 2018.

> > > when you receive your invitation email, sign up sooner rather than later. committees fill up fast. they always have over a thousand people. at Conway I heard there were 1500.

> > >

> > > tournaments have had me on transportation, merchandise, walking scorer, marshal and shotlink.

> > > nothing more enjoyable than being able to be on the grounds watching tournament play - because you belong there.

> > >

> > > this year's price to sign up is $135. your badge lets you in the gate every day, whether you're working or not.

> > > two shirts, hat, lunch on your work days, couple of guest day passes.

> > > it's a gas.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Thanks for the info. I was a walking scorer at the web event and it was one of my favorite times watching golf. Listening to them talk through what they are thinking is amazing.

>

> Wonder if we crossed paths - I've had the good fortune to get that job at WGA / Web events for the last couple years. you work for Sue's committee ?

Hm, I honestly don't know. I did it through my work, we had a "volunteer day" and a bunch of us volunteered at the Rustoleum Championship.