2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

it was a week of grief due to passing of a close family member.

today was the funeral and we sent him off in good form.

one speaker told a few stories that had us laughing until we wept, in a good way.

as we drove out of his final resting place - I remarked, this would be a great practice area.....superb chipping area near the main entrance.

is that crass?

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @Symphonize said:

> So it looks like I am going to be moving from the NW suburbs out to Sycamore for work in either December or January. I haven’t done a ton of research yet but how are the courses out there? A quick look doesn’t show much in the close vicinity that looks great, but I know Bowes, HoE, and Blackstone are all within 30 minutes. Also might consider joining a private course if any offer good young professional rates. Looks like Kishwaukee CC has some really good prices, anyone know much about that club or played there before? Also anything else in the area? Blacksheep looks awesome, but I would guess they might be expensive.

Kish isn't bad but it's short and the quality is relative to the area. You're not terribly far from Prairie Bluff in Byron, Aldeen and Sandy Hollow in Rockford, Timber Pointe in Poplar Grove or Blackstone in Marengo. All of those will require a bit of a drive as will HoE or BC.

I started the morning at Glenview Park GC. I finished the morning at Glencoe. Lol. 'Arrived at GP to find that they were under a heavy frost delay of at least 2 hours, and possibly 3 hours. The temperature downtown was 45 degrees, but it was 37 at GP. A quick call to Glencoe and I luckily found an opening with a threesome. Good thing the round took under four hours, as the rain started to fall just as I pulled out of their parking lot. Course conditions were similar to last Saturday. Leaves are starting to get heavy in spots. Greens were very slick. Once again I found the middle of the 1st green with a front pin location, and managed to putt the ball off the front.

Decent round today with 9 fairways and 11 greens. A pair of birdies, and five bogies.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, but this rain is going to make a mess of things. Have to make a call in the early morning.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/aivngsnhn378iwg/20191026_091206.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

our 7:28 tee time at Sportsman's was pushed to 9:00 due to frost delay. played a three hour round with brisk walking. greens were marked up from late Friday afternoon play but the ball rolled pretty well. the wind picked up on the second nine and hitting into it seemed to need a two club adjustment. twenty minutes after we finished up the rains hit.

went for lunch and decided an afternoon game was not worth attempting.

might try tomorrow at the Crook if it isn't too sloppy up north.

hope everyone got their games completed.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Made it to the Hills of Bartlett today. Course was very wet (when did it rain) but 95% leaf free. The starter put us off the back as the 4some who teed off 20 minutes before we did was still in the first fairway...and then played off the tips. With that great move it was an efficient 3:15 round. The highlight of the round had nothing to do with golf but was clearly the new bartender...just WOW. You're welcome.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Made it to the Hills of Bartlett today. Course was very wet (when did it rain) but 95% leaf free. The starter put us off the back as the 4some who teed off 20 minutes before we did was still in the first fairway...and then played off the tips. With that great move it was an efficient 3:15 round. The highlight of the round had nothing to do with golf but was clearly the new bartender...just WOW. You're welcome.

never a bad idea to tip the starter for courtesies extended. our guy is a true gent. we hope he takes a post in the area next season while TPC-NBK is shut down.

heard today it could mid 2021 before the place is ready. (sad-face)

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Thanks for the info on the courses guys. Still waiting to hear back from Black Sheep but might reach out to Kish this week too.

Changing the topic, after sitting outside in the rain for 3 hours watching miserable football today, I decided I need some better rain gear than a poncho and might as well get something that doubles for golf. Because I know the first time I plan a good golf trip, it’s going to be a rainy day. What do you guys all use for rain gear?

> @AndyC76 said:

> Yes. All show the same date on mobile in portrait mode. When I rotate to landscape mode it shows correctly

> It been buggy since the update.

Same thing with the 'Edit' "button". On mobile it only displays in landscape mode.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Symphonize said:

> Thanks for the info on the courses guys. Still waiting to hear back from Black Sheep but might reach out to Kish this week too.

>

> Changing the topic, after sitting outside in the rain for 3 hours watching miserable football today, I decided I need some better rain gear than a poncho and might as well get something that doubles for golf. Because I know the first time I plan a good golf trip, it’s going to be a rainy day. What do you guys all use for rain gear?

I've used my raingear more this year than in the past five years combined. If you're not one to generally play in the rain, then any cheap golf rain gear should work. 'Just expect to perspire a lot, as the cheap stuff is not breathable. If you think you're going to get some use out of it, then go for Gore-Tex, or the high end fabrics that the better manufacturers produce. Zero Restriction makes some good gear. Sunice and ProQuip as well. Galvin Green is the Rolls Royce of rain gear, but it's hard to come by in the states. I have a Foot Joy DryJoys Tour XP jackets, and while I love the fit, it doesn't breath quite as well as Gore-Tex. I have a short sleeve Sunice Gore-Tex pullover than I keep in my bag for pop-up storms.

It's starting to look nice outside, but I'm afraid it's going to be a slopfest out there. 'Probably going to sit out today, get some work done around the condo, watch the Bears, LPGA, and PGA broadcasts, and play tomorrow.

'Just got an email from Calumet Country Club announcing $29 rates starting tomorrow.

> @Symphonize said:

> Thanks for the info on the courses guys. Still waiting to hear back from Black Sheep but might reach out to Kish this week too.

>

> Changing the topic, after sitting outside in the rain for 3 hours watching miserable football today, I decided I need some better rain gear than a poncho and might as well get something that doubles for golf. Because I know the first time I plan a good golf trip, it’s going to be a rainy day. What do you guys all use for rain gear?

FJ makes good rain gear and it is easy to get. The best rain gear you can get is Galway Bay - it is the most breathable out of any and will keep you dry. But it is in the Galvin Green category of not the easiest to get, you'll have to order online and not try it on most likely. Under Armour also makes a really good set of gore-tex rain gear as well.

> @Symphonize said:

>

in moderate wetness, I wear Adidas all weather trousers and have a couple FJ Hydrolite jackets. they are lightweight and fold down to nothing.

I'm watching this fall's end of season sales for FJ pants to replace the Slazengers from GG that I have been using. those are completely waterproof, though they don't breathe at all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> > @Symphonize said:

> > Thanks for the info on the courses guys. Still waiting to hear back from Black Sheep but might reach out to Kish this week too.

> >

> > Changing the topic, after sitting outside in the rain for 3 hours watching miserable football today, I decided I need some better rain gear than a poncho and might as well get something that doubles for golf. Because I know the first time I plan a good golf trip, it’s going to be a rainy day. What do you guys all use for rain gear?

>

> in moderate wetness, I wear Adidas all weather trousers and have a couple FJ Hydrolite jackets. they are lightweight and fold down to nothing.

> I'm watching this fall's end of season sales for FJ pants to replace the Slazengers from GG that I have been using. those are completely waterproof, though they don't breathe at all.

>

>

How do you feel those FJ Hydrolites hold up for a steady rain, or when it’s just raining and it’s going to be a few hours straight in the rain?

> @Symphonize said:

> > @"@_the_crook" said:

> > > @Symphonize said:

> > > Thanks for the info on the courses guys. Still waiting to hear back from Black Sheep but might reach out to Kish this week too.

> > >

> > > Changing the topic, after sitting outside in the rain for 3 hours watching miserable football today, I decided I need some better rain gear than a poncho and might as well get something that doubles for golf. Because I know the first time I plan a good golf trip, it’s going to be a rainy day. What do you guys all use for rain gear?

> >

> > in moderate wetness, I wear Adidas all weather trousers and have a couple FJ Hydrolite jackets. they are lightweight and fold down to nothing.

> > I'm watching this fall's end of season sales for FJ pants to replace the Slazengers from GG that I have been using. those are completely waterproof, though they don't breathe at all.

> >

> >

>

> How do you feel those FJ Hydrolites hold up for a steady rain, or when it’s just raining and it’s going to be a few hours straight in the rain?

in response, they do not leak at all. they are great for layering underneath.

they look proper for even casual wear. have one in the truck at all times and the other in the bag as it works as a wind blocker too.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Whisper Creek this morning. Major points against for charging more to walk than ride, but they know their primary clientele’s preferences. The senior citizen residents of Dell Web Sun City don’t strike me as walkers. Besides, I’ll pay a little extra to not stop once and finish in under three hours. The course was wet, had a handful of sections of standing water, and the deeper bunkers had ponds in them, but overall the course absorbed all the rain pretty well. The greens still had visible punch marks and they were pretty shaggy but I don’t ever think of Whisper as having good greens so they basically met my low expectations. No birdies but I shot even on the back for a 75. Not bad considering I hadn’t swung a club in two weeks.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I played Schaumburg late afternoon yesterday. That was actually the worst condition I have seen the greens in over the last 22 years. Ball marks, spike marks, foot marks, you name it. Two foot putts were knee knockers and you better hit it hard or it was going to bounce on you. I was playing with my 8 year old son so basically a single and we had to wait for 5-10 minutes on every shot. I am always surprised when people go out for a 2pm tee time in fall when it gets dark at 6pm and then play slow! Anyway, the rest of the course was in great shape, but finding balls in leaves is always tough this time of the year. I think it makes sense to only play links style courses at this time of the year. The weather was perfect, I don't think we will see another day like that until spring time. If that was it for 2019, it was a blast...

Got out to The Glen Club with @jimwgt26 yesterday afternoon. Course was extremely wet as to be expected, but the greens still pretty quick yet receptive, kind of an odd combo. Fairways provided little to no roll, blue tees with the solid little wind made into the wind holes feel extremely long, I can't remember the last time I had so many hybrids into par 4s. Still, a treat to play a great course like that this late in the season with some of the trees turning and on the cheap. Highlight of the day was holing a bunker shot from an uphill plugged lie in the pushout of an unrated footprint on 6. Just wanted to make sure I got over the next bunker and it popped out perfectly and rolled out 10 feet into the cup, haven't done that in years. Played decently on the front but caught the bogey train on the back 9 before rolling in a bird on 17.

• Like 1

A pleasant but wet round at Calumet Country Club. With little wind and temps in the low 50's, it was a nice walk. The course was in so-so shape. Greens were slow. Bunkers were washed out or had small lakes in them. Fairways were wet and shaggy. Leaves in the rough were a PITA. Still, for $29 it was fine fall golf. I got out in front of a couple of groups and it was clear sailing. There were a few singles and twosomes in front of me, but I never caught them.

OK day off the tee with 8/13 fairways. However, with wet conditions the ball was not rolling out, and I was hitting hybrids and fairway woods into the greens. Coming out of the wet rough was a treat. Only 7 greens leading to seven bogies. I can overlook the mediocre play given that I was on a golf course on a Monday morning. Nice.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ti3ejxqxbwjqn9d/20191028_123147.jpg "")

Wrapped up our $32 round at Bowes Creek. Even though this score still posts, today felt closer to winter golf than Fall. 47* and overcast felt s little chilly on the hands since I don’t like wearing winter gloves, but it wasn’t too bad.

The course is in great shape considering the weekend rain. 90* for carts, and we only drove through maybe 3-4 wettish areas where we could hear the cart tracking through wet grass. The greens rolled really well and had most of their usual speed, but several were littered with goose cr4p. We practically had the course to ourselves..I think we saw people on maybe 3 or 4 holes. A great way to close out the official season.

Scoring on the front killed me but a +2 back 9 saved the round and will help shave .5 off the final 2019 revision. Won’t hit my hcp goal for the season but came close and the trend is positive. Looking forward to some FL golf around thanksgiving.

Has anyone played Valley Ridge golf course in Antioch lately? I haven't played it in a few years since it was Antioch Golf Course so curious if it has gotten any better with the new owners. I saw a great deal for $29 for two with cart so thinking I might pick that up and try to get out this week if the weather hold out.

> @Jfergus7 said:

> Has anyone played Valley Ridge golf course in Antioch lately? I haven't played it in a few years since it was Antioch Golf Course so curious if it has gotten any better with the new owners. I saw a great deal for $29 for two with cart so thinking I might pick that up and try to get out this week if the weather hold out.

I played once in mid August and wasn't impressed, but it's worth that price if you're not traveling far.

To be honest, it was pretty unmemorable except the course was really wet yet the tee boxes were rock hard.

It reminded me of winter golf trying to get a tee in the ground.

My buddy joked about needing elbow surgery after a fat shot on a par 3.

The bartender was bragging about their greens at the turn and it took all my will power not to laugh.

I guess they've really put a lot of work into it and it will probably pay off next year.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

> @mci711 said:

> I think it is time to move south.. October?!

>

Yup. Phoenix next week. :)

> @mci711 said:

> > @cpeck12 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > I think it is time to move south.. October?! g1uhccyv0sx4.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Seven Bridges?

>

> Yup

Nice! I moved out of the condos closest to the clubhouse in May. Loved that location and being able to walk out of my garage to golf.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport