2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

I was hoping to get out today to stretch my streak to four days in a row, but I'll take a pass. Tomorrow looks fairly bleak as well. Wednesday looks very promising. I guess I'll work on a few chores around the condo. I've been putting them off for most of the season. Lol. I've got 20+ years of "valuables" that I hauled home from the office that need to be put away.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > Played Buffalo Grove yesterday. The weather could not have been any better, slight breeze and sixty degrees. The greens were absolutely perfect, extremely fast and rolled true. The fairways were a bit shaggy but it is a $40 course. I have always liked the layout and they have a nice practice area. Only issue: leaves. With that said, it looks like we have one week of good weather left this year. I am going to try to get out for 2-3 more rounds. What courses don't have leaf issues right now due to lack of trees? I can think of Prairie Landing and Highlands of Elgin. What others?

>

> Harborside will be free of leaves. They aerated the Port course last week, so it should be getting somewhat back to normal this week. It's $59 before 1 pm, and $49 after 1 pm weekday. The Starboard course is being aerated this week.

>

Leaves are coming down big time this week, I think.

The Preserve was leaf free on Saturday, but again, with the rain and wind and cooler temps this week...

Prairie Bluff (haven't played it), there are some trees, but don't know how many, name infers fewer trees, and I've driven by it once ;-)

Shepherd's Crook (most holes, some holes are in the trees), maybe holes 5,8,12,13, and 17 have trees.

Foxford Hills (most holes, no leaves, but some with trees), 7, 8, 10, 14 green, 15 and 16 and 18 have tree issues.

White Deer Run (most holes don't have many trees), 9, 11, 13, and 18.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

fdee3xfl6v0j.jpg

Feed the Eagle! Fun round yesterday morning with @jimwgt26. The clouds burnt off after 9 and the jackets came off. Some good shots, some other shots too.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

> @Shriner said:

> What course is that B-Man?

Sorry. Prairie Bluff. Very little wind out there yesterday but there must've been a garage band beating the drums big time to the south. Then again, it could've been a gun range.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

> @B-Man said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > What course is that B-Man?

>

> Sorry. Prairie Bluff. Very little wind out there yesterday but there must've been a garage band beating the drums big time to the south. Then again, it could've been a gun range.

B-Man, that would be the Illinois State Police gun range, which is located sort of between PB and the Stateville home for wayward men. Or, maybe the residents of Stateville got a little frisky and needed some reminders to get back in line.

• Like 2

Made my way up to Pine Meadow this weekend for the first time. Checked off some courses that I haven't been to the past couple weeks. Pine Meadow, The Preserve, Mt Prospect and Shepherd's. I'd rate though as 1) The Preserve, 2) Pine Meadow, 3) Shepherds 4) Mt Prospect. But I enjoyed all of them and would play any of them multiple times a year. I really enjoyed Pine Meadow Sunday. Wasn't too busy, we played in a little over 3 hours. It is a pretty fall course though, and I liked that you felt away from other people throughout most of the round.

• Like 1

thanks for your updates from my local area courses!

you picked some nice ones.

How was Pine Meadow in terms of softness of the course, was it pretty wet?

How were the greens?

Thanks!

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> thanks for your updates from my local area courses!

> you picked some nice ones.

>

> How was Pine Meadow in terms of softness of the course, was it pretty wet?

>

> How were the greens?

>

> Thanks!

Nope, wasn't bad. I hit the ball very high, too high, and was still getting some rollout this past weekend. No mudballs or anything. It was all in pretty good shape. Greens were in good shape, could have been faster but rolled well. The tee boxes had some sand on them, some had quite a bit, other than that though it was good. I was worried because the grass/ground on the range was very hard, luckily the course wasn't.

• Like 1

good to hear, thanks.

TM TP5x

> @Shriner said:

> Could be the last decent day of the year so I am going to head out to Fox Run in a few minutes. Can't wait to hit 8-iron off the tee on a par 5...lol. Feel free to crack all the jokes you want!

Don't be so pessimistic, Saturday and Sunday are both above average I'd say! (If the rain saturday hold off until the evening).

• Like 1

> @mci711 said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > Could be the last decent day of the year so I am going to head out to Fox Run in a few minutes. Can't wait to hit 8-iron off the tee on a par 5...lol. Feel free to crack all the jokes you want!

>

> Don't be so pessimistic, Saturday and Sunday are both above average I'd say! (If the rain saturday hold off until the evening).

Word!

TM TP5x

Turned out to be a very nice day. After a sunny morning, the clouds rolled in when I teed off at The Glen Club. It was playable, but the real feel was probably in the low 40's. The sun finally popped out on the 14th hole, and it was gorgeous the rest of the way in. The course was in decent shape, but not pristine. The greens were aerated the first week of the month, and were 90% healed. They were rolling at 10, which was OK, but slower than I'd like at this time of the year. The fairways were cut, but still playable. Bunkers were very nice, but I did have one that had very little sand. Leaves were no problem. The course website showed a green fee of $90 all day to walk, but I was only charged $70. Can't beat that.

Very solid round. Only 7 fairways, but the misses were very manageable. 12 greens. My putter was red hot today, with 3 birdies, and several long par saves. Five bogies and a very nice two over round. Best shot of the day was the tee shot on the par 3 17th to 9 ft for my final birdie.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xnmugzwyritw36q/20191023_141532.jpg "")

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Went to Mistwood Dome over lunch today. I was really dissapointed. I went a lot last year, so I knew what to expect. But they just opened and the balls were in the worst condition I've ever seen range balls. They were basically black and left a chalky residue all over my clubs. I was getting super random distances with my irons that didn't make sense. I've played almost 100 rounds this year, I know my distances and these were way off. I am assuming this was because of the ball quality. Some of the balls were almost smooth from being hit and cleaned so often (i guess?). You'd think the money Mistwood has and what they have put into that place they could get some decent range balls

Another pleasant day out on the links. Willow Crest today. A little sunshine would have been nice, but the lack of wind made the temperatures more than bearable. The course was in decent shape. They're not aerating the greens, so they were good, albeit slow (9). Surprising given that green speeds are usually fast in the late fall. The fairways were clear of leaves, but they were a bit of nuisance in the rough. Bunkers have seen better days. Wet and compacted. Still, $39 to walk a round was more than acceptable. I was the third person/group out, and didn't run into anyone the entire round. Once again having a course more or less to myself is an added bonus.

Bit of a struggle off the tee today. I was making good contact, but in an attempt to avoid the hooks I pushed a number right. Only 8 fairways. Pretty much the same deal with the irons, so only 10 greens. No birdies and five bogies. I admit I was running out of gas on the back nine. I really do need to empty some junk out of my bag. I bet there are two to three dozen golf balls in there.

Overall an enjoyable midweek round. I'm getting to like this, minus the traffic. Lol. For the past 22 years I've either walked, biked, or took a train/bus to work. I'm simply not used to dealing with weekday traffic. Rounds on the weekends typically involved light traffic in the early morning, and moderate traffic midday on the way home. I swear the city has been overrun by morons with drivers licenses. You have your maniacs, and your timid mice too afraid to go when the light turns green, or pull into the intersection when making a left hand turn. Grrrrr.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/derl58b1dvxdvjp/20191024_111902.jpg "")

So it looks like I am going to be moving from the NW suburbs out to Sycamore for work in either December or January. I haven’t done a ton of research yet but how are the courses out there? A quick look doesn’t show much in the close vicinity that looks great, but I know Bowes, HoE, and Blackstone are all within 30 minutes. Also might consider joining a private course if any offer good young professional rates. Looks like Kishwaukee CC has some really good prices, anyone know much about that club or played there before? Also anything else in the area? Blacksheep looks awesome, but I would guess they might be expensive.

Public golf near Sycamore is fairly benign unfortunately. Hughes Creek and Blackberry Oaks are less than 30 minutes away.

> @Symphonize said:

> So it looks like I am going to be moving from the NW suburbs out to Sycamore for work in either December or January. I haven’t done a ton of research yet but how are the courses out there? A quick look doesn’t show much in the close vicinity that looks great, but I know Bowes, HoE, and Blackstone are all within 30 minutes. Also might consider joining a private course if any offer good young professional rates. Looks like Kishwaukee CC has some really good prices, anyone know much about that club or played there before? Also anything else in the area? Blacksheep looks awesome, but I would guess they might be expensive.

I think you'll find that 30-40 min might be the magic distance for good to better public options. In addition to the ones you mentioned, Orchard Valley, Prairie Landing, Settler's Hill, Blackstone, Randall Oaks to the East. Aldeen and Timber Pointe to the North.

As for privates:

What I recall about Kishwaukee from a while back is that it's old school, pretty short with fast greens but not overly interesting from a design perspective.

Black Sheep had a young exec membership going a couple years back...worth checking out to see if it's still an option. I think it's a great 27 holes where you can feel like there's no civilization around for miles.

Stonebridge and Aurora CC in Aurora: Stonebridge is a pretty fun Fazio layout and they were offering some pretty aggressive membership packages earlier this year (but it is 40 mins or so). Can't speak for ACC but I've heard good things from those out that way.

Best of luck on the move. I have a buddy from my league who moved out there a few years ago and basically relegates himself to driving a bit to play most courses. Elgin, St. Charles and Aurora are his common destinations.

> @Symphonize said:

> So it looks like I am going to be moving from the NW suburbs out to Sycamore for work in either December or January. I haven’t done a ton of research yet but how are the courses out there? A quick look doesn’t show much in the close vicinity that looks great, but I know Bowes, HoE, and Blackstone are all within 30 minutes. Also might consider joining a private course if any offer good young professional rates. Looks like Kishwaukee CC has some really good prices, anyone know much about that club or played there before? Also anything else in the area? Blacksheep looks awesome, but I would guess they might be expensive.

Blacksheep isn't bad at all. They have a very good young executive rate. I looked into joining 2 years ago with my wife, only to find out it was men only. I still think about joining, I'd send them an email If I were you and see what they can offer. I don't remember the numbers, but it was a very good deal.

Another day, another round at Wilmette. I really should read my own reviews. The greens are still not healed, and are still sloooow. A little muddy in spots. Bunkers do have fresh sand. So we have that going for us. Which is nice.

Solid round with 8 fairways and 12 greens. Two birdies and four bogies. There's definitely something to be said for playing frequently.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kcjxfp2kj75kdc7/20191025_122030.jpg "")

> @Argonne69 said:

> Another day, another round at Wilmette. I really should read my own reviews. The greens are still not healed, and are still sloooow. A little muddy in spots. Bunkers do have fresh sand. So we have that going for us. Which is nice.

>

> Solid round with 8 fairways and 12 greens. Two birdies and four bogies. There's definitely something to be said for playing frequently.

>

> ![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kcjxfp2kj75kdc7/20191025_122030.jpg "")

>

I'm not sure why courses wait so late to aerate. If the holes aren't fixed now it won't be until late april until they are. Seven Bridges did the first week of October and they look like they were done a couple days ago. It is so stupid. Other courses did it late September and were healed within a week.

Edit: I fully know why seven bridges waits, they don't have any events after the date, so instead of discounting the events at the end of september they make the course shi!t for 6 months.

Nice little practice session after work at MP

Beautiful evening

Hope to get in a round tomorrow

TM TP5x

Was my turn at Willowcrest today, took the afternoon off to head out, a little cold for me but I survived. I had the opposite experience as @Argonne69 , the course was jammed pack like a Saturday afternoon when we teed off, we were hoping and expecting a pretty empty course. The par 3 3rd had a group on the green and 2 groups on the tee waiting if that was any indication. Anyway, we got around in decent time given that. I always like the course and think it's one of the more under appreciated courses in the area, although maybe the ridiculous mid season rates has something to do with that. I do wish they would flip the 9's since I think the 9th would make a great finishing hole, but if you're going to end on a par 3 then 18 is a good par 3. My game was decent enough today, I didn't hit anything that I would consider to be a terribly bad shot. Highlight was murdering a drive on 17 that went through the fairway, dropping a 54* up on the green for a birdie. I'm not a short hitter by amateur standards, but I don't hit many over 300 these days even in good summer weather, so it was exciting to catch one in the cold.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Took the day off work today to get in some late season rounds. My plan was to play Pine Meadow, then figure it out from there. Unfortunately, I arrived to a frost delay. The frost line seemed to set-up almost right on top of the course, as I saw no frost on my way up there and temps were still in the mid-40s only a few miles away. I absolutely hate waiting around in the clubhouse for a frost delay, so I decided to bounce.

Ended up a few miles to the south at Buffalo Grove Golf Course. Zero frost issues there. It has been a few years since I played Buffalo Grove, but the greens were rolling pretty nice. The bunkers were also excellent, which was definitely a pleasant surprise. The course did have a weird smell to it, similar to the smell near a wastewater treatment plant, but I'm guessing that's a remnant from the flooding a few weeks ago. Was able to walk it in 2 hours and for $25, not a terrible way to start the day. From there, I decided to make the drive out to Blackstone.

I last played Blackstone back in April and have been wanting to get back out there for the past couple of months. Course was in very nice shape, sans #14. That fairway has turned into a grass mud soup. My drive plugged in the fairway and I was lucky to find it. Hit every fairway (14/14) on route to a 77. First time I have ever done that. Overall, a pretty nice day weather-wise too. I don't mind the cool temps and the winds today were very light. Walked Blackstone in 3 hours, which was a treat, as the past few times I've played there during the week the rounds have been pretty slow.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo