2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

High bounce wedges are for hacks.

• Haha 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

7 hours ago, becoh said:

If it's a warm sunny day, without a cloud in the sky....put the g'd umbrella away. Same goes for these solar shields, full face coverings.

Golf is not the hobby for you, if you're scared of the sun. Get some sun, embrace the golfer's tan. Vitamin D is good for you.

The umbrella is a godsend. Can't believe I didn't do it a decade earlier. Makes walking 18 SO much easier on a hot SoCal summer day. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

8 hours ago, Rhythm&TempoRenzo said:

i have a few unpopular opinions of my own...

1. Tournament courses should be setup for shotmakers instead of bombers - watching pros drive the green is boring as hell to watch. Shaping shots to hit locations that setup the next shot is exciting. Golf should require more thought than power.

2. Don't judge me based on the age of the equipment i use. Just because my sticks are old doesn't mean I won't kick your a**  with them. Its a comfort level thing - and I know all of their tendencies...

3. Green fees and equipment prices are ridiculous - more people would play golf if this damn game wasn't so expensive.  Wouldn't you want other folks to experience the bliss you feel when your on the course? Of course not - your a frickin' snob...

There is an old adage about being afraid of the golfer with old clubs and new grips. 😀

The price of golf equipment is outrageous. I do not like change and can go years without buying another stick, but when I do I go to the store and see what I like than buy it on ebay.  The newest clubs in my bag are my set Cleveland wedges which are 4 years old. I had my previous set of Cleveland wedges for 11 years.

• Like 2

- I don't get why people think the prices of clubs are "outrageous" for a piece of equipment that theoretically will last many years (well, not on WRX) and serve you day after day for a pursuit that is highly personally fulfilling and life-improving.  And, they are liquid in the sense that they are easily flipped to recover value.  There are greens fees more expensive than some individual clubs out there.  Have you looked at the price of guitars lately?  Costs north of $2K to get a half-way decent Stratocaster - a piece of wood and plastic made on an assembly line.  If you want inexpensive clubs, there are plenty of options.  Kind of like complaining about the price of cars while shopping for a Porsche.

- I like Dechambeau, especially his social media presence.  He's got some cringey aspects for sure but I am actually inspired by the vids of him pumping up and imploring friends to push the boundaries of their swings. 

- Streamsong sucks

- The vast majority of instructors  just look at a swing and randomly choose some aspect to "fix" without considering the key cause-effect relationships.

- You are either born with the mental and physical ability to play good golf, and it comes naturally or you are not - and practice and instruction will barely move the needle if you are not.  I learned this with seeing young juniors in my son's league.  You can see it at a VERY young age who naturally have the inherent swing concepts, coordination and mental skills and mindset to play the game at a high level - and instruction is just a bit of polish on the rough diamond.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golfah said:

- I don't get why people think the prices of clubs are "outrageous" for a piece of equipment that theoretically will last many years (well, not on WRX) and serve you day after day for a pursuit that is highly personally fulfilling and life-improving.  And, they are liquid in the sense that they are easily flipped to recover value.  

To be fair I think the issue is the ever rising cost of brand new clubs, and it seems to beat inflation by a lot.

I bought my Apex CF16 for 1200$, 4i to AW. The Apex 21 go for 1750$ and they removed a club from the set.  (prices in CAD).

That's a 66% increase in price in just 5 years.

If they kept following that trend, the 'Apex 26'  would go for 2900$ just 4 years from now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Golfah said:

- You are either born with the mental and physical ability to play good golf, and it comes naturally or you are not - and practice and instruction will barely move the needle if you are not.  I learned this with seeing young juniors in my son's league.  You can see it at a VERY young age who naturally have the inherent swing concepts, coordination and mental skills and mindset to play the game at a high level - and instruction is just a bit of polish on the rough diamond.  

I'll say you're right and wrong at the same time haha.

Natural athletic ability is a great thing to have, but one thing I've seen in youth sports is kids can really change year to year. I've seen quite a few kids grow into their body and go from an uncoordinated mess to an athlete. Personally, my favorite to coach as they usually work hard on the basics while unathletic so you get the whole package.

• Like 1

My point is that there are kids with barely any instruction who hit the dead center of the clubface and putter consistently because they "get" how to swing a club to produce a desired result.  You don't grow into that skill and the ones that eventually do at some reduced level are so far behind they will never catch up.  My son used to compete with a young boy who "knew" how to hit the center of the clubface when he was 8.  He worked hard but he has the gift.  His shots- even his putts have a different sound.  He just shot a 59 in a state junior amateur at 12.  Joe average spending years of practice and $1000s on lessons and swing Gurus wouldn't sniff what he can do at 12.

Edited by Golfah
  • Like 4

Professional golfers do not need a hundred million dollars to play golf. What they were getting paid prior to liv was fine. Jon Rahm said if his quit now he would be monetarily fine. Here is a truly honest golfer. A modest increase was probably due but not a lifetime of winnings just to play. It's a non-contact game that skinny to fat golfers all still playing competitively. If all great golfers want to play for Saudi Arabia let them and keep the PGA as it has been since 1916. Tiger gets 50 million a year and is worth 80 million soon to be a billionaire. Is that not enough? I never heard him complain. Now it's getting weird with talk of golf exhibitions for millions. What will be the next crazy idea? When will the insanity end? Everyone has an opinion and they all seem to be different. 

• Like 1

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Music should be played on the course and as loud as you want

there should be a mandatory single digit handicap for people who want to walk

Whistling Straits sucks

raking traps is dumb.  I'm not golfing to do manual labor

I'd rather watch celebrities than pros play golf.  Find it way more interesting than seeing 50 pros all hit the ball 1000 yards and down the middle.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, zer0 said:

there should be a mandatory single digit handicap for people who want to walk

Yeah, nothing makes a round faster than when players slice the ball off the right side of the fairway, drive their cart down the left side of the cart-path-only hole, and then have to walk 60 yards across the fairway with 4 clubs to hit their ball. 

Or when you have two players forced to share a cart and they're playing Army golf all day... Left, right, left, right... 

When you have 4 players on these suckers, and no cart path only, I'll admit golf can probably be played faster this way than on foot...

Fat Tire Electric Golf Scooter

...at least until they start drinking.

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Don't know if this counts as a golf opinion, but....

Saying "Congratulations to (insert professional tournament winners name here)" in a post here.  They aren't reading this, they won't see it, so why the need to post it?  It would be one thing if you are PMing them, but otherwise... does no one think it stipulated?

• Like 3

I despise the tee time system! 
“Hi, I’d like to make a tee time for Friday.”

”Sorry, you’ll have to call back on Tuesday.”

This is the only service industry that I can think of that won’t accept your business at times. Hi I’d like to reserve a room or a car or a flight sorry we aren’t taking reservations now call back. Ugh!!

• Like 3

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

22 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Weekend golf is for hackers, newbie’s and women………

Weekday golf is for slackers and old people. 😝

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

1 hour ago, MattC555 said:

True dat!

• Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

1 hour ago, TheSphynx said:

Trying to show off with your putter collection is like bragging that you have the best collection of fleshlights

I hope that’s “flashlights” 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, MattC555 said:

What?!  You don't have the importance in your company to take off a weekday???  You need to get busy with your reputation... 😁

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

7 hours ago, JackGatling said:

Barring any extremely loud/abrupt noises, the average player should be able to handle some noise during their swing. Music coming from an adjacent green or someone in your group having a quiet conversation shouldn’t affect the outcome of your shot.

I agree with this...

I am going to come out of the closet and admit that I use ironhead covers....there I said it.  Yes, my clubs are tools, but I like my tools to look good.  I am that guy you want to buy used irons from, because my sets will not have bag chatter and dings.  

I like music, but not on the golf course.  I hate being forced to listen to someone else's music while playing golf.  

I detest smoker golfers that throw cigarette/cigar butts on the course, usually around the greens. 

I don't enjoy playing with someone that has temper tantrums on the course.  I have a friend (a +handicap golfer) that believes he makes himself play better by slamming clubs and blowing up.  He is a good guy, but I don't want to play golf with him.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

I too…”sigh”…..use iron covers. I paid more for my new set of clubs than I did for my first car, and want to preserve them as long as possible.

There’s not a new set in my future 👴

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

I think bag chatter makes clubs look better and perform better. Love the rhythm and sound of the clubs bouncing into each other walking down the fairway. 

At least on par with the clatter of metal spikes on the parking lot...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, MikeW2 said:

I despise the tee time system! 
“Hi, I’d like to make a tee time for Friday.”

”Sorry, you’ll have to call back on Tuesday.”

This is the only service industry that I can think of that won’t accept your business at times. Hi I’d like to reserve a room or a car or a flight sorry we aren’t taking reservations now call back. Ugh!!

Exactly.  I have a golf trip planned at Big Cedar for the end of this month and if you aren’t actually staying at the Big Cedar Resort you can only make tee times at their courses for exactly 30 days in advance.  Not a day later or sooner.  So for instance if you were to make a tee time today you could only make one for 9/29.

Edited by 'Noles2013
  • Sad 1