2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Winter Walking

Cold weather is here, and I'm determined to get out of the cart and start walking again. Part of it is that walking in cold weather has to be warmer than riding, doesn't it? The other part is that I'm approaching my 70th birthday, and I just can't give in to carts. I had an accident last autumn that robbed me of a lot of upper body strength. I got lazy and rode all of last season, so my leg strength suffered. But the shoulder nerves have started to regrow, and I feel myself getting stronger.

So, I pulled my trusty Sun Mountain Zero Gravity bag out of the closet. It's a great lightweight bag, and the hip strap keeps the weight off my back. I'll start with 8 clubs -- 14 degree Wishon deep face driver/fairway wood; 18 degree Wishon hybrid; 4-6-8-PW Maltby TE forged irons, a Volkey SW, and my trusty old Anser 3 putter. If I only carry three balls, the whole thing weighs 15 lbs. I'll start with only one hole if I have to, and I'll progress from there. I hope I have the strength.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge fan of walking during colder seasons, especially the Fall. Lots of changing colors and great scenery. I find that I stay warmer since I am constantly moving/walking/climbing opposed to sitting in a cart and taking on wind from moving quicker. I was looking forward to getting in a few more Fall walking rounds but we just got dumped on with snow here in Michigan.

Good luck with your walking program. I'm 67 and walk 90% plus of my rounds. During the spring and winter, I normally carry my clubs and during the warmer months I use my push cart. Walking is the best exercise I can do on a regular basis - hopefully you will get your leg strength back quickly.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

> @cflo2382 said:

> Huge fan of walking during colder seasons, especially the Fall. Lots of changing colors and great scenery. I find that I stay warmer since I am constantly moving/walking/climbing opposed to sitting in a cart and taking on wind from moving quicker. I was looking forward to getting in a few more Fall walking rounds but we just got dumped on with snow here in Michigan.

Yeah... bummer on the snow.. glad I got in the round on Sunday before it all hit. Doesn't seem to be clearing for a while...

Winter golf can be both brutal and fun at the same time. As long as there is sunlight, no snow, and the ground is frozen too terribly hard, I get out as much as I can. Wool socks, long underwear, wind resistant pants, fleece upper layers with most external layer being a wind resistant material, stocking hat, and winter gloves (jeeze that's a long list actually) are my go to for attire. Move up a tee box or two, play a softer compression ball and don't take it too seriously. Although I typically use a pushcart, I'll carry more often than not when it's this cold to generate a little extra body heat and have the bag hold that heat a little closer.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I started walking my home course (with pull/push cart) a couple of year ago. The first few times were the roughest, but, you will get in better shape, and, it will get a bit easier. You will be a lot warmer walking than riding, and, you will need to adjust what you wear account for the exertion. It might be helpful to play with someone riding to start, so, that you can a bit of rest, should you need it. Also, +1 for the wool socks.

I can't tell if the "I just can't give in to carts" comment is about riding carts or push carts. But, if it's about riding carts, then I would recommend getting a push cart. I got one earlier this year and it was the best purchase that I made this year. I'm finding it even more useful as colder weather has become more common. Whenever I have doubts about what level of clothing I need, I just end up bringing both and storing the extra in my bag, with no concerns about the extra weight. The same goes for shedding layers as it becomes warmer later in the round.

of course walking is warmer than riding ... i walk, and will play if the course is open, meaning it's 33 degrees or higher ... dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than the air temperature ... usually walk in shorts ... takes a few holes to truly warm up, but you just have to make damn sure you don't hit a thin shot before then ... them fingers truly go numb on a thinned shot in the cold ...

You are confusing me a little. If you’re recovering from shoulder problems why wouldn’t you use a push cart. You get the benefit of walking with little stress on your shoulders and back.

I’m close to your age and walk a couple of times a week. I do use a push cart though as I cannot think of one good reason to not use it at my age.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

This is not directed at OP, but:

If you have a cart cover and heater for a riding cart, there's no way you are staying warmer by walking and being exposed to the cold chill at all times. If you're just out for the exercise or building up your leg muscles I completely understand, but don't tell me you'll stay warmer than me in my "bubble". I played last Saturday in about 35* temps with sustained 15-20 mph winds, and it was only tolerable due to my cover/heater. You can throw on as many base layers as you want, but that does nothing for the hands/feet/face, but that heater does wonders for the extremities.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

> @halliedog said:

> This is not directed at OP, but:

>

> If you have a cart cover and heater for a riding cart, there's no way you are staying warmer by walking and being exposed to the cold chill at all times. If you're just out for the exercise or building up your leg muscles I completely understand, but don't tell me you'll stay warmer than me in my "bubble". I played last Saturday in about 35* temps with sustained 15-20 mph winds, and it was only tolerable due to my cover/heater. You can throw on as many base layers as you want, but that does nothing for the hands/feet/face, but that heater does wonders for the extremities.

Have you ever tried walking in those conditions when dressed properly? I have a balaclava that I wear on my face when it's really windy but you stay surprisingly warm even in the worst conditions. Winter golf gloves are just fine for the hands...feet stay plenty warm with one pair of wool socks and the balaclava takes care of the face.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond Driver 9*
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond 3W 15*

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 3 Hybrid 18*

Srixon U85 4 iron

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Z
Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track
Garmin Approach Z30 Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

> @RSinSG said:

> You are confusing me a little. If you’re recovering from shoulder problems why wouldn’t you use a push cart. You get the benefit of walking with little stress on your shoulders and back.

>

> I’m close to your age and walk a couple of times a week. I do use a push cart though as I cannot think of one good reason to not use it at my age.

Thanks for the support, everyone! I'm particularly interested in any suggestion for cold weather clothing that doesn't hamper a golf swing. Biggest problem is the wind, not the cold. I can't swing with a wind-breaker on. I wish I could find some sort of wind-resistant turtle neck, but there doesn't seem to be such a product.

As for push carts, I just never liked them. It's a personal thing. On a hilly course, they always seemed like more work than carrying. The Sun Mountain Zero G bag that I use is really brilliant in that it puts most of the weight on your hips, not your back. Before the accident I could carry a full bag. Don't get me wrong...it's still a workout. But, at least it's a doable activity.

I walked 16 yesterday (wife called me home before I finished the last two) in high 30's weather. Without wind, it was really pleasant with layers and walking. No one else on my course, played those 16 holes in a bit less than 100 minutes. Wind is when it can become uncomfortable

I usually wear three tight layers that don't restrict my swing (compression type shirt, skiing 1/4 zip layer (think modern thermal underwear), and a Peter Millar type 1/4 zip. Then I will use a Patagonia or Acertyx vest - gives me warmth, but doesn't restrict my motions. If it's really windy, I have another wind breaker vest that I can throw over top of it. Without wind yesterday, I dropped the Patagonia Vest after 3-4 holes. I probably didn't need the long johns I had on, but better safe than sorry.

IMHO, the best part about cold golf is it scares everyone away and makes any course truly private!

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @RSinSG said:

> > You are confusing me a little. If you’re recovering from shoulder problems why wouldn’t you use a push cart. You get the benefit of walking with little stress on your shoulders and back.

> >

> > I’m close to your age and walk a couple of times a week. I do use a push cart though as I cannot think of one good reason to not use it at my age.

>

> Thanks for the support, everyone! I'm particularly interested in any suggestion for cold weather clothing that doesn't hamper a golf swing. Biggest problem is the wind, not the cold. I can't swing with a wind-breaker on. I wish I could find some sort of wind-resistant turtle neck, but there doesn't seem to be such a product.

>

> As for push carts, I just never liked them. It's a personal thing. On a hilly course, they always seemed like more work than carrying. The Sun Mountain Zero G bag that I use is really brilliant in that it puts most of the weight on your hips, not your back. Before the accident I could carry a full bag. Don't get me wrong...it's still a workout. But, at least it's a doable activity.

>

I have a Zero Restriction Cloud jacket (wind breaker), and, it is super light weight, wind proof, fairly breathable, and, you can barely feel it. It is probably worth your while to take a look at what your local golf shops have to offer, you might find something that will work for you. fwiw, I have no problems playing in a rain jacket, so, take my post with a grain of salt.

Today was my first time walking in over a year, and it was great. My lightweight bag was no problem at all. Perfect off-season weather, too. Here in central Maryland, our basic winter day averages 44/22. When I got out this morning, it was about 35. The issue is always the wind, and there wasn't much. But, if I can't tolerate wind in the teens, then I'll never be able to play. Temps below 32 and winds above 20 mph will keep me in bed. I'm not going out. But, above that, I've got to figure out a way to cope. Today, regular golf shoes and SmartWool socks were more than adequate. My feet were nice and toasty. For pants, I just wear old-school cords. It's the top layers that are the issue. Today was just a turtle neck, sweatshirt and vest. But, that won't be good enough in the wind. Tomorrow will be the real test. Temps in the 30s and winds in the teens. Wind chill will be in the 20s. Could be ugly.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @RSinSG said:

> > You are confusing me a little. If you’re recovering from shoulder problems why wouldn’t you use a push cart. You get the benefit of walking with little stress on your shoulders and back.

> >

> > I’m close to your age and walk a couple of times a week. I do use a push cart though as I cannot think of one good reason to not use it at my age.

>

> Thanks for the support, everyone! I'm particularly interested in any suggestion for cold weather clothing that doesn't hamper a golf swing. Biggest problem is the wind, not the cold. I can't swing with a wind-breaker on. I wish I could find some sort of wind-resistant turtle neck, but there doesn't seem to be such a product.

>

> As for push carts, I just never liked them. It's a personal thing. On a hilly course, they always seemed like more work than carrying. The Sun Mountain Zero G bag that I use is really brilliant in that it puts most of the weight on your hips, not your back. Before the accident I could carry a full bag. Don't get me wrong...it's still a workout. But, at least it's a doable activity.

>

There is a great thread in the Golf Gtyles and Accessories forum called [Winter Jacket Suggestions](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1685490/winter-jacket-suggestions/p1 "Winter Jacket Suggestions") that has lots of great information regarding cold weather clothing.

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> There is a great thread in the Golf Gtyles and Accessories forum called [Winter Jacket Suggestions](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1685490/winter-jacket-suggestions/p1 "Winter Jacket Suggestions") that has lots of great information regarding cold weather clothing.

Very helpful...thanks!

I had a heart attack a bit over a year ago. I walked 5 days a week prior to the heart attack. I rode for about a month after, but I'm back to 5 days a week. I got an electric cart, but now, I'm back carrying or pushing. I feel like all the walking I did prior to the heart attack, helped my recovery.

> @MountainGoat said:

>

>

My buddy got an electric cart (trolly) from Costco a couple of months ago and he really loves it. It’s like having a caddie carry your bag. There is good info on the model in another thread.

http://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at---all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @RSinSG said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

>

> >

> > As for push carts, I just never liked them. It's a personal thing. On a hilly course, they always seemed like more work than carrying. The Sun Mountain Zero G bag that I use is really brilliant in that it puts most of the weight on your hips, not your back. Before the accident I could carry a full bag. Don't get me wrong...it's still a workout. But, at least it's a doable activity.

> >

> My buddy got an electric cart (trolly) from Costco a couple of months ago and he really loves it. It’s like having a caddie carry your bag. There is good info on the model in another thread.

>

> http://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at---all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

>

Thanks. I researched these extensively last year but ultimately concluded that I was better off rebuilding my upper body strength. Honestly, my bigger issue in winter is the wind, not the carrying.