Where are the Powerbilt Collectors?

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2021 at 5:29 AM, Foozle said:

Pleased this thread has had a bump and just catching up with it now. I agree with Deejaid as Power Bilt do seem to be largely overlooked, certainly that is the case here in the UK.

Having dipped my toe into Power Bilt I find this surprising as the quality is up there with the best.

The lack of interest / awareness is confirmed by the fact that I have yet to be opposed in any bid for Power Bilt clubs.

I am a convert and with 4 sets of irons and a couple of sets of woods I would now consider myself a collector.

Happy days as everything below stands me less than a decent set of Hogan irons! 2056304593_PowerBiltSuper.jpg.4cfc90d51ac0c3fff8859b333e605b2e.jpg20201215_192706.jpg.a5796685c35e73dea99f86eaf82b59aa.jpg871027785_PowerBilt7292.jpg.a2e166ffc2edceb6534e82a5098cd3da.jpg20210628_113103.jpg.d94f11dea93732998138286b46c70732.jpg20210121_125756.jpg.b29b1b3e4f9713c384b116fdb72ae691.jpg

Love the 76-77 Scotch Blades you have in there!  I had a set, came with regular shafts that were also short, so I never did much with them.  Ironically, I could extend them now and be just fine.  Funny how that is.

I contacted Powerbilt for the standard lofts, they're a little odd.  20* 2 iron to a 32* 5 iron, then 35/38/41/44 for 6i-9i, and a 50* PW.  Ugh.  I think I'd have to tweak those shorter clubs a bit...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Best driver I ever owned during the persimmon era was a Powerbilt Citation with the brass back weight,  black insert with real screws.

Also had a Powerbilt 5 wood laminated which I remember quite well.  Was on the cheaper end of their offerings at the time but I absolutely loved it.  The 'screws' on this particular cheaper model if I remember correctly were not screws at all but were sort of like rivets,  as if more for show than functionality.

9 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

How did they gauge their shaft action?  For example, was a “b” shaft “regular”?

Yes, B was regular, C was stiff

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried taking some of the mid-70's Levelume blades and swapping to a modern shaft? Any issues removing the head from the original shafts? I've tried one iron so far and cannot seem to remove it no matter the amount of heat I apply or pressure I apply from the shaft puller I have. Anyone know if the hosels are threaded by chance? I don't see a pin in the hosel so I've ruled that out at least.

I've tried looking but have been unable to find a solid answer so far. Any help is super appreciated!

https://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/powerbilt/levelume_(model_nbr_in_description)-72.htm

Edited by heyitsmike
Edit to add a link to IronFinder for the specific model.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, NRJyzr said:

I contacted Powerbilt for the standard lofts, they're a little odd.  20* 2 iron to a 32* 5 iron, then 35/38/41/44 for 6i-9i, and a 50* PW.  Ugh.  I think I'd have to tweak those shorter clubs a bit...

That is some very strange loft gapping. I've seen closer gapping in the long irons, but not in the short irons like that. I'd go the same way as you and adjust those lofts, adding a bit more to the lower lofts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

That is some very strange loft gapping. I've seen closer gapping in the long irons, but not in the short irons like that. I'd go the same way as you and adjust those lofts, adding a bit more to the lower lofts.

Being a time before lofts were moved stronger, it makes little sense.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Being a time before lofts were moved stronger, it makes little sense.  <shrug>

Absolutely, especially as the lofts are pretty normal for the era in the long irons. 4 degree gapping in the long irons, 3 degree gapping in the mid and short irons until the 9i to PW....?

Can't fathom it. 

Just picked up a Powerbilt Citation 3-wood in excellent shape. I didn't have a 3 in my vintage bag so I went looking for one on eBay, and I found one. It looks great, but as usual it'll need a new grip, which is no big deal. So now my vintage set is complete. It should be here in a week or so. Can't wait to try it!

Powerbilt Citation 3 wood 1.jpg

Powerbilt Citation 3 wood 2.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 5:22 PM, Robert L. said:

Just picked up a Powerbilt Citation 3-wood in excellent shape. I didn't have a 3 in my vintage bag so I went looking for one on eBay, and I found one. It looks great, but as usual it'll need a new grip, which is no big deal. So now my vintage set is complete. It should be here in a week or so. Can't wait to try it!

Powerbilt Citation 3 wood 1.jpg

Powerbilt Citation 3 wood 2.jpg

The 3-wood came in today. It's in excellent shape, but as I expected the grip needs to go. It an old Victory half-cord grip, and it's cracking. No biggie, it'll take just a few minutes to change it. Otherwise it's in great shape. The shaft is a B flex, which I understand makes it a regular flex, which is perfect for me. It's going in my bag as soon as it's regripped.

23 hours ago, Robert L. said:

The 3-wood came in today. It's in excellent shape, but as I expected the grip needs to go. It an old Victory half-cord grip, and it's cracking. No biggie, it'll take just a few minutes to change it. Otherwise it's in great shape. The shaft is a B flex, which I understand makes it a regular flex, which is perfect for me. It's going in my bag as soon as it's regripped.

A quick addendum to this. The Victory half-cord grip it came with was a nightmare to remove! It was so dry and brittle that it felt like it was fused to the shaft! Constant scraping and pulling off was the only way to remove it. It was all off after about ten minutes of struggle! Interestingly enough there was only a little amount of double-face tape holding the grip on. It must have been how they did it at the factory, assuming that it was installed there. Anyways, once the old grip was off it was just a matter of cleaning the shaft with acetone, and installing a brand new Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip (my favorite grip). It's now drying and it'll be ready for play very soon!

56 minutes ago, Robert L. said:

A quick addendum to this. The Victory half-cord grip it came with was a nightmare to remove! It was so dry and brittle that it felt like it was fused to the shaft! Constant scraping and pulling off was the only way to remove it. It was all off after about ten minutes of struggle! Interestingly enough there was only a little amount of double-face tape holding the grip on. It must have been how they did it at the factory, assuming that it was installed there. Anyways, once the old grip was off it was just a matter of cleaning the shaft with acetone, and installing a brand new Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip (my favorite grip). It's now drying and it'll be ready for play very soon!

I did wonder when you said "no biggie"! 😁 Perished Victory grips are a nightmare! I regripped a set of FG17's last year and experienced the same as you, only x10! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Foozle said:

I did wonder when you said "no biggie"! 😁 Perished Victory grips are a nightmare! I regripped a set of FG17's last year and experienced the same as you, only x10! 

I said that because I didn't realize it was that involved. Now I know!

5 hours ago, Robert L. said:

...The Victory half-cord grip it came with was a nightmare to remove! It was so dry and brittle that it felt like it was fused to the shaft! ...

Use a heat gun. Heat it up until you can smell the rubber. Make sure you heat all around it. What was dry and brittle will be a lot more pliable and come off, mostly. You will still need to scrap a bit, but dramatically less. I use a wallpaper scrapper with a long handle for the scraping.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

After my dad, a club pro, passed, I discovered in his club collection a set of never hit PowerBilt Citation solid persimmon woods that are numbered 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 1/2. I can find no reference to them online. Were they one-offs, perhaps? Does anyone out there know the story on them and how much they are worth?

After my dad, a club pro, passed, i discovered a set of PowerBilt Citation solid persimmon woods in his collection that are numbered 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 1/2. They have never been hit and are in pristine condition. I can find no reference to half-woods online. Does anyone out there know the story on these? Were they a one-off, perhaps? Worth? Thanks for any information y'all can give me. The Boman, New Bern, NC

21 minutes ago, The Boman said:

After my dad, a club pro, passed, i discovered a set of PowerBilt Citation solid persimmon woods in his collection that are numbered 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 1/2. They have never been hit and are in pristine condition. I can find no reference to half-woods online. Does anyone out there know the story on these? Were they a one-off, perhaps? Worth? Thanks for any information y'all can give me. The Boman, New Bern, NC

pictures would be helpful

8 hours ago, The Boman said:

I didn't realize Power-Bilt did the 1/2 club thing.  I've only ever noticed that with Spalding woods.  

The 1/2 wood has been discussed here before but I don't recall the specifics.  I think... a 2-1/2 wood is a 2 wood with a 1 wood shaft?  Or maybe it's a 2 wood with a 3 wood shaft?  It's something like that.  Perhaps someone else will chime in on this one.

I've seen a 3 1/2 Powerbilt before. I suspect they were a custom order or pro order.

In other news, my beloved Powerbilt 5w cracked today. Think it's unreparable. Crack runs all along the middle of the crown from toe to heel, and from the soleplate to the heel on the bottom of the club.

Showed it to a veteran pro to see if it was reparable, but he thought it was beyond hope.

• Sad 1