2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

10 hours ago, EricWGolf said:

I bought my Mevo+ in early 2020 as soon as it was offered and I use it exclusively outdoors. I have since added PP and now ordered Face Impact. M+ Setup is finicky, but not difficult. 

On grass, you will need to adjust alignment once you chew up enough turf, or if you change targets. But after you use the M+ for awhile, you learn to recognize when the data gets funky due to alignment. Because of the alignment issues (it’s not a drop it down and go like a photo based LM), I occasionally look at photo units like the GC3/BLP.  But the subscription model of the BLP is unacceptable to me.  And even if you go all-in up front, putting the cost at more than double the M+ (GC3 w/ clubhead data add-on at $7,750 & BLP fully unlocked at ~$7,000), you still aren’t getting some critical data points like face angle/face to path.  To me, those are mandatory. 

Like every LM, including TM, the M+ has its quirks.  But for the price, you won’t find better data.  I’ve put my M+ side-by-side with TM4 on multiple occasions, and the data is ridiculously close. And FS is constantly tweeking the firmware and software and adding features (some free, some paid).  

Two things I recommend:

(1) buy an external battery and use it all the time.  It prolongs the internal battery and also avoids the “time-outs” due to inactivity (to save battery life) where you have to click your phone/iPad to get going again.  The external batteries on the FS website are just Anker batteries with a FS sticker.  FS even tells you the model number in the description and you can order the exact model from Amazon for much cheaper.

(2) Plan on buying a new internal battery ever 12-18 months. They are approx. $25 online for the exact model that comes in the M+. I notice after 12-18 months with the same battery, the unit seems to have more “hiccups.” Put a new battery in and all is good.

One other note:

(3) If you have an Apple Watch, there is an FS Golf watch app.  You can change club selection from the watch and see some data points (user selected) on the watch. It sounds very minor, but it’s a nice little convenience. 

Photo units aren't perfect outdoors either - even stuff like Quad occasionally gets confused by flying debris obstructing the cameras. It's also much harder to align a side unit to your target than it is DTL.

Everything has strengths and weaknesses, seven at the top end.

13 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Anyone else use this to make sure setup is spot on?

If so, notice target alignment line is off with the new target alignment? 

20221122_150546.jpg

Flightscope definitely needs to update and clarify alignment instructions for short indoor mode. Most of us have figured out how to get accurate data through trial and error but there is always a little doubt about alignment and how it affects club data. The camera being on the side of the unit combined with a target only 16-20ft away means that a square alignment to the center of the unit looks offset in the app. 

I wish Flightscope would tell us if the unit should be perfectly squared up to the center of the unit or offset so it's squared up with the camera. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Flightscope definitely needs to update and clarify alignment instructions for short indoor mode. Most of us have figured out how to get accurate data through trial and error but there is always a little doubt about alignment and how it affects club data. The camera being on the side of the unit combined with a target only 16-20ft away means that a square alignment to the center of the unit looks offset in the app. 

I wish Flightscope would tell us if the unit should be perfectly squared up to the center of the unit or offset so it's squared up with the camera. 

I reached out to them, the guy who's in their Orlando HQ. He simply stated to have the line in target alignment go through the ball and through the target. 

He hasn't responded to my question about whether that alignment guide is still valid, because his statement and that guide don't match.

When I setup like I always have, using a right angle ruler to get everything perfectly square, using the specs in that alignment guide, the target alignment line is to the right of my target...

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

I reached out to them, the guy who's in their Orlando HQ. He simply stated to have the line in target alignment go through the ball and through the target. 

He hasn't responded to my question about whether that alignment guide is still valid, because his statement and that guide don't match.

When I setup like I always have, using a right angle ruler to get everything perfectly square, using the specs in that alignment guide, the target alignment line is to the right of my target...

Exactly why they need to clarify or update the app so we can use the alignment line with confidence.

I'll have to double check when I get home but I am pretty sure when mine is setup square with the ball/target in line with the center of the unit the alignment line is to the left (camera is on the left side when facing the target). To get the alignment line through the ball and target requires offsetting the unit and when I do that I've been feeling some fade bias. 

• Like 1

Just now, mgoblue83 said:

Exactly why they need to clarify or update the app so we can use the alignment line with confidence.

I'll have to double check when I get home but I am pretty sure when mine is setup square with the ball/target in line with the center of the unit the alignment line is to the left (camera is on the left side when facing the target). To get the alignment line through the ball and target requires offsetting the unit and when I do that I've been feeling some fade bias. 

Yep.

For me, to meet guide specs, I have to turn the unit so it's no longer square to the target. I have to point it left just a bit. 

I simply ignored the offset of the target line and went on. I moved the unit so the line was close to the target line but still.square. It seemed to work well. My numbers for path and ftp were what they normally are. I don't think it's a big deal given the "target hitting area" allows for a few inches of lateral play. 

But that doubt when first setting up after a change is something they need to work on. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Yep.

For me, to meet guide specs, I have to turn the unit so it's no longer square to the target. I have to point it left just a bit. 

I simply ignored the offset of the target line and went on. I moved the unit so the line was close to the target line but still.square. It seemed to work well. My numbers for path and ftp were what they normally are. I don't think it's a big deal given the "target hitting area" allows for a few inches of lateral play. 

But that doubt when first setting up after a change is something they need to work on. 

So you have the unit set square with the ball and target in line with the middle of the unit and the alignment line in the app shows right of the target not left?

2 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

So you have the unit set square with the ball and target in line with the middle of the unit and the alignment line in the app shows right of the target not left?

Got this from them a bit ago...

"The dimensions will be the same, however, the target alignment screen has changed. You will just need to make sure that you have the yellow vertical line in line with the tee position along with your target line."

Idk why my yellow line is now right of my target line when I setup the exact same way as before, using the specs from the original guide...but oh well.

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Did the Mevo trade-in for the M+.  Got the Pro package as well.  Just received my M+ yesterday.  However, Flightscope has not sent me the activation code for the Pro package. Has anyone had trouble getting activation codes from Flightscope?

I received mine in a email before the + even showed up.  It was an instant email after purchase.  Check your spam folder or contact them. 

• Like 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

27 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

I received mine in a email before the + even showed up.  It was an instant email after purchase.  Check your spam folder or contact them. 

I have done both, but might have missed it in spam right after purchase.  Wasn't expecting anything at that time and might have skimmed over it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 7:53 AM, getitdaily said:

Yep.

I find i get the best results with the target line slightly aimed left.  

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

On 2/11/2023 at 8:39 AM, ThinkingPlus said:

Did the Mevo trade-in for the M+.  Got the Pro package as well.  Just received my M+ yesterday.  However, Flightscope has not sent me the activation code for the Pro package. Has anyone had trouble getting activation codes from Flightscope?

Quick update.  I poked Flightscope customer service again today.  Got a response quickly.  They asked if I got a confirmation email (I did - it was attached to the email I sent them).  They indicated that an activation code email should have followed quickly. I responded that I either did not receive an activation code email or accidentally deleted it. Crickets since then.

I am becoming mildly irritated. This should have been easy for them to fix. Will poke them again tomorrow after golf if no action has been taken.

Have anyone noticed more misreadings and decreasing accuracy after latest updates in iOS FS Golf app. (I don`t have impact data).

I have noticed also some odd numbers after updating latest firmware and FS app. There were a lot of misreadings which I got very rarely earlier. For example couple good drives show 81m and 85m carry and some 6 iron sky rocketed outside DTL range window. Also I noticed a little decreasing of distances (~5m) compared earlier with every club. Setup is identical compared earlier and I have used Mevo+ regularly 2-4 times per week the whole winter so I would say something has happened to accuracy. 

Also I`m not a fan of new data order in listing view. Earlier user could arrange data parameters one by one but now data parameters have stacked under headlines like spin, distances, speed which include multiple data parameters and cannot be separated - really annoying.

• Like 1

Just chatted with support - they confirmed that Face Impact has been released as of this morning. I asked when I can expect to receive my activation code (from my pre-order) and he said that I should receive it today.

**UPDATE** Just received my code - have activated the unit - now to the range to test .....  😃

Edited by eBoon
Update

15 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Quick update.  I poked Flightscope customer service again today.  Got a response quickly.  They asked if I got a confirmation email (I did - it was attached to the email I sent them).  They indicated that an activation code email should have followed quickly. I responded that I either did not receive an activation code email or accidentally deleted it. Crickets since then.

I am becoming mildly irritated. This should have been easy for them to fix. Will poke them again tomorrow after golf if no action has been taken.

[email protected]

Just received the activation key for the face impact location aaaand it's refusing to activate (invalid code, hah). Have emailed support to see what they have to say.

*edit*

Fixed, for some reason I got a code that didn't show the correct uppercase/lowercase for the code. Support sorted it super quickly.

Edited by BatcatZA

Right, so, I spent around 2 hours outside hitting on my M+ after getting the face impact module activated. I was using the RCT balls for this session, with the unit, my mat and myself in the shade of a tree on an otherwise bright afternoon. The unit still had enough light to pass the setup verification step.

From my initial testing, it's eerily accurate, and the heatmap feature is extremely useful across the course of a session. An image below from a shot with my 7i and footspray, versus where the unit said the shot hit the face. If you ignore the number of grooves on the image, versus the number of grooves on the club, which does confuse matters when comparing the two, the actual measurement seems accurate.

Things that I'm not sure about on the current iteration of the software implementation:

1) What the M+ says is the center of the clubface looks oddly high on the unit. The shot itself wasn't all that well struck based on the impact on the footspray, and the numbers on the unit (one groove too high, very low spin, loss of ball speed), and yet the unit still says it was marginally below center. I really don't think I want to be striking the ball as high on the clubface as the M+ says, it really doesn't seem optimal in my experience or opinion. That said, although the clubhead dimensions seem accurate for my 2019 Rogue Pros, I'm not sure if calibration is needed to adjust the centerpoint of the clubhead. This is very possibly a PEBKAC issue, not an issue with the unit or the face impact detection.

2) The location of the face impact screen in the iOS app is sub-optimal, buried as it is in it's own screen in the club data section of FS Golf. I would love to see, or at least have the ability to add, a small face impact image in the main trajectory view, so I can see data blocks, trajectory and impact location. I am aware that there may be processing/display limitations that are preventing this and which the developers are managing in the background - not least of which that reading all this data off a relatively small 9.7" screen could pose a rather large usability issue in itself. I understand the PC version doesn't really have this limitation, although I don't have the PC software yet and even if I did, I don't have a laptop capable of running it.

*edit*

As pointed out by @Bubbtubbs, there is a little image and the impact offset numbers in the data blocks on the iOS (and presumably Android) apps which you can move around and put in the data column on the right of the screen. Much better than going into the actual club data section.

In terms of other changes from this update (M+/FS Golf/ FS Skills):

1) I really like that they simplified the indoor/short indoor setting on FS Golf, it really did seem unnecessarily complicated.

2) The shot tracer feature via camera is really neat.

3) The whole setup process is much more streamlined on FS Golf, and the yellow block for the hitting zone is easier to see in camera preview than the red one.

4) Numbers from the unit seemed generally in line with what I would expect, and the reads I was getting were significantly better in terms of driver shot shape versus previous versions. I can actually get a heel-fade now, which mimics a shot I regularly experience (😁) on the course. Previously it just read it as a draw thanks to my usual in-to-out path and slightly closed face.

5) It's taking longer for the unit and FS Golf to process the shot information than before, undoubtedly as a result of all the additional computation for the new parameters. This could irritate some people, but it doesn't bug me and I like having all this extra data available.

6) Immediately contradicting point 5, FS Skills displays the info on the shot immediately, similar to how FS Golf used to do it. It does make me question whether FS Skills is taking all the additional info into consideration on the shot calculation, or if it still needs to be updated to include the information in its calculation.

Overall, I think the face impact location is a phenomenal addition to this unit. Hardware and datapoint-wise, I'm not actually sure where Flightscope go from this point, especially with their integrations into the likes of SwingCatalyst etc. I suspect (hope) that the future improvements center around the software experience and how we get to view/access/interpret the incredible data the unit produces. 

20230215_162231.jpg.91cbcf112cc4c510a967e8c92e39ae9e.jpg

Edited by BatcatZA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BatcatZA said:

Right, so, I spent around 2 hours outside hitting on my M+ after getting the face impact module activated. I was using the RCT balls for this session, with the unit, my mat and myself in the shade of a tree on an otherwise bright afternoon. The unit still had enough light to pass the setup verification step.

From my initial testing, it's eerily accurate, and the heatmap feature is extremely useful across the course of a session. An image below from a shot with my 7i and footspray, versus where the unit said the shot hit the face. If you ignore the number of grooves on the image, versus the number of grooves on the club, which does confuse matters when comparing the two, the actual measurement seems accurate.

Things that I'm not sure about on the current iteration of the software implementation:

1) What the M+ says is the center of the clubface looks oddly high on the unit. The shot itself wasn't all that well struck based on the impact on the footspray, and the numbers on the unit (one groove too high, very low spin, loss of ball speed), and yet the unit still says it was marginally below center. I really don't think I want to be striking the ball as high on the clubface as the M+ says, it really doesn't seem optimal in my experience or opinion. That said, although the clubhead dimensions seem accurate for my 2019 Rogue Pros, I'm not sure if calibration is needed to adjust the centerpoint of the clubhead. This is very possibly a PEBKAC issue, not an issue with the unit or the face impact detection.

2) The location of the face impact screen in the iOS app is sub-optimal, buried as it is in it's own screen in the club data section of FS Golf. I would love to see, or at least have the ability to add, a small face impact image in the main trajectory view, so I can see data blocks, trajectory and impact location. I am aware that there may be processing/display limitations that are preventing this and which the developers are managing in the background - not least of which that reading all this data off a relatively small 9.7" screen could pose a rather large usability issue in itself. I understand the PC version doesn't really have this limitation, although I don't have the PC software yet and even if I did, I don't have a laptop capable of running it.

In terms of other changes from this update (M+/FS Golf/ FS Skills):

1) I really like that they simplified the indoor/short indoor setting on FS Golf, it really did seem unnecessarily complicated.

2) The shot tracer feature via camera is really neat.

3) The whole setup process is much more streamlined on FS Golf, and the yellow block for the hitting zone is easier to see in camera preview than the red one.

4) Numbers from the unit seemed generally in line with what I would expect, and the reads I was getting were significantly better in terms of driver shot shape versus previous versions. I can actually get a heel-fade now, which mimics a shot I regularly experience (😁) on the course. Previously it just read it as a draw thanks to my usual in-to-out path and slightly closed face.

5) It's taking longer for the unit and FS Golf to process the shot information than before, undoubtedly as a result of all the additional computation for the new parameters. This could irritate some people, but it doesn't bug me and I like having all this extra data available.

6) Immediately contradicting point 5, FS Skills displays the info on the shot immediately, similar to how FS Golf used to do it. It does make me question whether FS Skills is taking all the additional info into consideration on the shot calculation, or if it still needs to be updated to include the information in its calculation.

Overall, I think the face impact location is a phenomenal addition to this unit. Hardware and datapoint-wise, I'm not actually sure where Flightscope go from this point, especially with their integrations into the likes of SwingCatalyst etc. I suspect (hope) that the future improvements center around the software experience and how we get to view/access/interpret the incredible data the unit produces. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/9850f12aaf69c52bcbbb54dfb2d8e2ddea2fa446ec473a84641770333d85083e/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/9850f12aaf69c52bcbbb54dfb2d8e2ddea2fa446ec473a84641770333d85083e/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/20230215_162231.jpg.91cbcf112cc4c510a967e8c92e39ae9e.jpg

If you're on a tablet, a miniature face impact location picture appears with the data column on the right side of the range.

• Like 1